The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: colmore on May 05, 2006, 04:40:32 am

Title: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: colmore on May 05, 2006, 04:40:32 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05052006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05052006)

God's got a fierce unibrow


[Fixed date - Ed.]
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: Doc on May 05, 2006, 04:44:09 am
I am so totally in love with with Phillipe's serenely accepting his own death face, you can see it also here (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03242004).
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: colmore on May 05, 2006, 04:47:42 am
I love that a Airwolf is faster than any jet, has a working rescue claw, and obviously has a good enough computer control system to make it pilotable by a novice (hellacopters are hell of hard to fly) and yet it has fake headphones and prop "missiles."  (Which still make pretty darn big "POUF"s if you ask me.)
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 05, 2006, 04:49:02 am
Date in the title?  was it there the whole time and I'm just dumb or what?

Also, I LOVE the drawing of God.  Hilarious!
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: Hobot on May 05, 2006, 04:51:04 am
Does Philippe only address God in capital letters ("You") when he is in His presence?

The first panel is lovely; that is precisely what underwater motion looks like.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: colmore on May 05, 2006, 04:53:30 am
Further thoughts:

Who is the poor intern at USA Networks who has to make assemble all those model rockets?
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 05, 2006, 04:55:13 am
I love that a Airwolf is faster than any jet, has a working rescue claw, and obviously has a good enough computer control system to make it pilotable by a novice (hellacopters are hell of hard to fly) and yet it has fake headphones and prop "missiles."  (Which still make pretty darn big "POUF"s if you ask me.)

I think T is at least a little knowledgeable about heela-copters, as evidenced by "doctored up estes comanche with a D engine".  Just sayin man.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: colmore on May 05, 2006, 04:59:00 am
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXF375&P=M (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXF375&P=M)

The estes comanche is a model rocket.  Why do I care so much about model rockets? Because I went to Space Camp, that's why.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 05, 2006, 04:59:51 am
Well damn there goes my rebuttal.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on May 05, 2006, 05:09:04 am
I am so totally in love with with Phillipe's serenely accepting his own death face, you can see it also here (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03242004).

Seeing that comic makes me realise how glad I am that Phillipe's ##### have been toned down. They were too weird back then. All huge and ballooning with funky shit kicker boots.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: V-Adore on May 05, 2006, 06:35:36 am
Oh, man, Philippe's vision of God is great. He gives out toothbrushes!

I think we all have to admit that he's totally adorable here. I mean, seriously.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 05, 2006, 09:14:42 am
Dentist is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children. Do you understand?

Morphine is bad for you.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: ndpatel on May 05, 2006, 09:17:08 am
I love that a Airwolf is faster than any jet, has a working rescue claw, and obviously has a good enough computer control system to make it pilotable by a novice (hellacopters are hell of hard to fly) and yet it has fake headphones and prop "missiles."  (Which still make pretty darn big "POUF"s if you ask me.)

you've hit upon the central problem with this whole airwolf thing. did ray buy one of the bell 222's they used on the show "airwolf" (which would just be a black 80's heelacopter with funky lights and shit), or did he actually buy, you know, airwolf?

i expect 20 pages from each of you, with applicable citations and textual analysis that reveals a deep familiarity with the source material.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: innes on May 05, 2006, 10:11:39 am
...or did he actually buy, you know, airwolf?

Well, think about it. Airwolf is a fictional heelacopter, so how could the super-rich talking cat in the shades possibly buy the 'real' Airwolf from eBay?

Be realistic.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on May 05, 2006, 11:00:48 am
I am glad that phillipe did not have to die.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: Bimmicus on May 05, 2006, 11:27:41 am
Tsk, I say. Given the giddily horrifying setup of this arc, this seems a weak and obvious punchline. And just so not realistic. No ice cream, secret or otherwise, for the regularly updated free comic strip on this fine day.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on May 05, 2006, 11:42:44 am
Oh, man, Philippe's vision of God is great. He gives out toothbrushes!

I think we all have to admit that he's totally adorable here. I mean, seriously.

I fuck*ng don't have to admit that.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: mrdna1 on May 05, 2006, 12:30:00 pm
I can't help but to be really really amused at how this storyline started off in ultra-weird mode, and now not only are we getting a Friday strip chock-full of simple silliness but it's also almost a complete non-cliffhanger. Something tells me Onstad got kinda sick of this storyline, or at least its more dramatic parts (what happened to Cory and Zell?), and decided to remind us that indeed, Ray is Loaded.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: wombat on May 05, 2006, 12:41:21 pm
The cods!  Oh, the nightmares!
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: CortJstr on May 05, 2006, 12:51:25 pm
Man, whales are always supporting shit in their giant spouts. It is their version of hacky-sack.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: ndpatel on May 05, 2006, 12:53:07 pm
Well, think about it. Airwolf is a fictional heelacopter, so how could the super-rich talking cat in the shades possibly buy the 'real' Airwolf from eBay?

Be realistic.

yeah, you're right. prop-a-copters would totally have missile guidance systems and mach 1 speed and grappling hooks and stuff.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: Roger on May 05, 2006, 02:46:02 pm
You guys don't think this storyline ends here, right? We're still gonna see some crazy action as Téodor tries to haul the couch with Airwolf. Or you think Philippe will let him just fly them back home without BROWN COUCH! BROWN COUCH!
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on May 05, 2006, 03:10:45 pm
I fuck*ng don't have to admit that.

This is where you twirl your mustache and say "Curses, foiled again!"
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: thedudeabides85 on May 05, 2006, 03:25:35 pm
God is fat Hulk Hogan?
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: CortJstr on May 05, 2006, 04:36:17 pm
God is fat Hulk Hogan?

Hey there, little dude. Mean Gene said you had something to tell me. What's this all about, brotha? (god rips off his shirt, flexes his leathery orange skin, and plays air-guitar with a weigh-belt while hiding his bald-spot with a bandana)
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: Undertoad on May 05, 2006, 05:38:12 pm
Gentlemen, please!

The heelacopter doesn't go all that fast, but Ray figures it does.  He can't judge how fast it actually goes.

The copter has a grappling hook because they needed it for the show.

The copter can recognize an otter because the show's producers wanted the cool heads-up display, and otter recognition was in the same options package, and it was more expensive to take it out so they left it in.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: vagittarius on May 05, 2006, 05:44:54 pm
The capital "C" in Consult, that's the icing on the cake for me today.

Also, D engine- brings back memories of experimenting with rockets not sold at any store, but in the mind of a kid who lived in a house full of rocket-shaped things. You could tape those suckers onto ANYTHING.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: Drygioni on May 05, 2006, 05:51:01 pm
Aaaaa-ha! (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2779.msg64658.html#msg64658) I knew it! Warren Commission, eat your heart out.

I read this strip using my new glasses. It was... magical.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: MattFish on May 05, 2006, 11:31:21 pm
This strip wins.

I too had an estes Comanche, and it took a D engine.

There's a funny story about when I went to a model rocketry CLASS in a summer Program some years back, and we basically were good enough at ROCKETING that we were allowed to just design whatever shit we wanted out of a bunch of spare estes parts. It was badass, but there was a pompous ass script-kiddie nerdball who acted all uppity because I wasn't writing Instant Messenger Hack Toolz with my spare time. My rockets flew beautifully and exhibited new concepts of model rocket flying ability. His malfunctioned due to overengineering and just-plain-suckage-execution, and there was much wailing from the surrounding crowds and buildings as his rockets flew exactly sideways and crashed into those respective parties.

Childhood rant over.

Anyway, I still love the word "cods", and I love the way Onstad drew Philippe's vision of God. There is much to like.
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. May 5, 2006
Post by: nuero on May 05, 2006, 11:42:14 pm
yeah, you're right. prop-a-copters would totally have missile guidance systems and mach 1 speed and grappling hooks and stuff.

I too want this comic about a cat and a stuffed bear using a helicopter purchased off eBay and used to find a stuffed otter sleeping in a cooler floating in the ocean to make more sense in the argument of "Helicopter/Prop?"
Title: Re: They're probably six feet long. - 5 May 2006
Post by: LCB on May 06, 2006, 03:54:44 am
I am working on a short fanfic which will present my view of how Airwolf can be made to fit within the Achewoodverse, since now more than ever we need it.