The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: slink on September 11, 2003, 11:08:27 am

Title: The not so religious man... (09-11-03)
Post by: slink on September 11, 2003, 11:08:27 am
For some reason I totally got hooked on the line "You stay here by this ugly plant".
It just had a throwaway surrealty that I liked. I mean, are we ever going to see the ugly plant again?
Hell, at least Ray was being diplomatic about the late 19th century while he was there. He's a good guy at heart, as we always knew.

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09112003).
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: side_show on September 11, 2003, 01:30:20 pm
I actually thought the same thing as Slink - it's like in any movie where seemingly unimportant information is given - you totally know it's going to figure in later.  Whenever it's mentioned off-hand that a character has asthma in a movie like in "Signs" or "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" it always turns out to be a major plot point later.  

Also, that plant comes straight out of a Dali painting.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: side_show on September 11, 2003, 04:37:47 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
I'm glad to hear I'm the only one who found it necessary to pause in order to study the 'ugly plant'.  Although I truly think 'stad is screwing with the reader by offering this convention and then never revisiting it.

fuxor.


How do you know he'll never revisit it? ARE YOU FROM THE FUTURE? *trembles in fear*
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: beverly on September 11, 2003, 05:45:40 pm
I cracked at the ugly plant, finished the strip while laughing, and didn't stop laughing for about a minute.  I'm still laughing now.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: side_show on September 11, 2003, 05:46:53 pm
I know what you mean.  But Nice Pete came back, so who knows?
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: beverly on September 11, 2003, 05:47:51 pm
Alright, maybe more like 5 minutes -- it's a hearty laugh, too.  Now that that's settled, I'm going to take that next-morning poo.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: V-Adore on September 11, 2003, 08:26:13 pm
Yes, indeed, we need more ugly plant all up ons. It's kind of funny and kind of sad, sort of like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, but more weighted towards the funny.

Now, the question comes in: will Ray save the Dumbwaiter However-Many from the rent-a-cops?
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: jough on September 11, 2003, 08:59:13 pm
I thought the ugly plant was funny, but only because I thought it came from Onstad drawing a plant, not being satisfied with the drawing, and then putting in a self-deprecating barb in there as a joke.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: slink on September 11, 2003, 09:01:39 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Now, the question comes in: will Ray save the Dumbwaiter However-Many from the rent-a-cops?


I'm thinking he's sent the Harman Kardons cops home, and he's going to do something very/semi nasty to the boys in the dumbwaiter.
But on the other hand, I thought Beef had phoned him. Maybe it was his answer phone. I can't remember.
We'll see I guess.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: jough on September 11, 2003, 09:08:07 pm
Yeah, Beef left a message on the phone.  Which I suppose would be the phone in the house where they were?  Or maybe Ray's cell phone?

I was a little confused about whom Beef was calling if they were already *in* Ray's house and knew he wasn't home.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: CortJstr on September 11, 2003, 10:16:05 pm
Theories:

Beef called Ray's cell. But his battery died while in the past because it was desperately searching for a signal.

Telling him to wait by the ugly plant just totally fits Ray's personality.

When he finds out it was the guys, Ray will pretend he knew all along.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: AugustWest on September 12, 2003, 01:17:33 am
On a different tangent, it appears that Lyle and I are the only people left who still carry Palm III's.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: FeeReep on September 12, 2003, 01:56:39 am
Its a t-shirt gimmick. Perhaps this time the plant will impregnate Phillipe.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: andalucia on September 12, 2003, 02:24:12 am
Man, that would be a rad shirt.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: V-Adore on September 12, 2003, 02:51:03 am
I would buy an "Ugly Plant" shirt.

Quote from: "FeeReep"
Perhaps this time the plant will impregnate Phillipe.

Now this is a creepy thought. (Given the physics of Achewood, I have to wonder if Philippe and Petunia's child is ever going to show up. You never know.)
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: andalucia on September 12, 2003, 02:53:51 am
At very least, it would be more fuel for the Onstad-Is-Reading-This-Board conspiracy theory crowd.
Title: The not so religious man...
Post by: CortJstr on September 12, 2003, 03:20:13 am
It's obviously the finger of an Ent sticking up out of the ground. That would totally be in Onstad's style.