The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Drygioni on May 08, 2006, 04:58:51 pm

Title: Getting closer, but still no pronunciation guide!
Post by: Drygioni on May 08, 2006, 04:58:51 pm
While perusing different English dialects on Wikipedia (this is what I do all day, everyday) I came across this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_English
 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_English)
Quote
Jough - a drink

Should anyone be interested in this? Probably not.

NOT AGAIN: How odd! While randomly learning about the English language on Wikipedia for the second time today, I found the occurence of the word 'Jough' once more. Just perhaps... this is how our illustrious admin's name is pronounced. Really though, Johkh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_English_words#.22ough.22_words (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_English_words#.22ough.22_words)
Title: Re: Getting closer, but still no pronunciation guide!
Post by: Roger on May 08, 2006, 09:33:56 pm
Here's a hint from the man hi'sself:
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1242.msg23067.html#msg23067
Title: Re: Getting closer, but still no pronunciation guide!
Post by: jough on May 08, 2006, 10:03:27 pm
Jough actually means "ale" in Manx Gaelic.