The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on September 11, 2003, 06:23:59 pm

Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: AugustWest on September 11, 2003, 06:23:59 pm
Drew's comics do nothing for me.  Went to the site and read a few more to make sure I wasn't missing something, but I've yet to find the slightest trace of humor in them.  Oh of course the drawing is great and all...

The Johnny Cash thing is just cromulent.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 11, 2003, 06:47:46 pm
It's the mother of all suckiness. But I clicked there, anyway. Probably somewhere is a list of everyone who clicked. And they sit around and laugh at us.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: beverly on September 11, 2003, 07:10:32 pm
I got a bit of a chuckle from Onstad's Johnny Cash thing; it was small I promise
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 11, 2003, 07:25:18 pm
I must confess there was small bit of humor clinging to the words "a lake".
I felt sorry for it, all alone in such a humorless place.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: Limmo on September 11, 2003, 08:11:22 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I must confess there was small bit of humor clinging to the words "a lake".
I felt sorry for it, all alone in such a humorless place.


Thank you, Aloha.  You summed up my feelings perfectly.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: wombat on September 11, 2003, 08:21:48 pm
I have tried to avoid complaining about the Variety Hour.

But, I LOVE Drew (I am wearing his Shut Up shirt right now, in honor of his having proclaimed today International Shut Up Day), and yet, this is surely not one of his best.  Please, click on the link and go look at more of them if you haven't.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: starlight on September 11, 2003, 09:31:46 pm
I had to look up the word cromulent and I'm still confused on whether it's a good thing or not ..bwah.

It is true; no real funny, but eh.  is there a reason that drew comics have appeared more than once in zee variety hour?  no one else wants to contribute to the suckiness?  

I'm wearing the gang sines shirt right now by the way; I wish I had the shut up shirt, too.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: CortJstr on September 11, 2003, 10:10:14 pm
Quote from: "starlight"
I had to look up the word cromulent and I'm still confused on whether it's a good thing or not ..bwah.


Jebediah Springfield: [on film] A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
Edna: Embiggens?  I never heard that word before I moved to Springfield
Ms.Hoover: I don't know why.  It's a perfectly cromulent word.

The general consensus is that it means "fine" or "acceptable"
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: starlight on September 11, 2003, 11:31:13 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "starlight"
I had to look up the word cromulent and I'm still confused on whether it's a good thing or not ..bwah.


Jebediah Springfield: [on film] A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
Edna: Embiggens?  I never heard that word before I moved to Springfield
Ms.Hoover: I don't know why.  It's a perfectly cromulent word.

The general consensus is that it means "fine" or "acceptable"


Ah, okay.  I was figuring it was that, but there were a lot o' definitions in the Urban Dictionary though :D
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: AugustWest on September 12, 2003, 01:12:35 am
Quote from: "starlight"
I had to look up the word cromulent


I cannot describe how happy this makes me.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: AugustWest on September 12, 2003, 01:13:29 am
By the way, did you know that the word "gullible" doesn't appear in any dictionary?
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: andalucia on September 12, 2003, 02:37:46 am
Aagh, this was another occasion where I read someone's signature as part of their post, and thought "It's all about the eyebrows" was the punchline to AugustWest's comments.
Foiled again.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 02:44:04 am
"It's all about the eyebrows" is the punch line to *all* of August's posts.

He's completely a funny guy.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: AugustWest on September 12, 2003, 03:41:58 am
Gosh, thanks so much, Raymond.

Perhaps Onstad will read this thread, have a change of heart and make it the "Fit Sixteen"!  (Sublime Sixteen?)
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: MrH on September 12, 2003, 05:05:49 am
Quote from: "wombat"
But, I LOVE Drew..

WORD.  His drawings are good in a different way that achewod is good but they are good.  Actually the drawings aren't very good but the captions are so that makes the drawings good, too.  

Playa    h a te a s.  to each their own.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: V-Adore on September 12, 2003, 06:16:24 am
I sort of liked this Drew cartoon, and the Johnny Cash thing was sort of funny in a platonic, thoughtful-but-not-visceral sort of way. Overall, sadly enough, probably still qualifies as one of the better VH installments.

[Edit: fixed late-night imprecise wording]
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 12, 2003, 07:48:47 am
I think someone else touched on this, but it seems to me that if there is a fit fifteen out there, about 12 of them aren't pulling their weight. I would like to see more 'variety' in the 'variety hour' and, quite possibly, some of the others would bring the funny in a little more consistent way in that format.

Just thinking out loud.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 08:33:46 am
The VH is dead.  Just accept that it's not ever going to be good.  'stad's heart is obviously not in it - maybe it would be better if he didn't have to do something EVERY week, but could just keep it as a place where IF he got an idea for something funny he could put it there.

The Johnny Cash thing was lame, insomuch as it felt forced, plotted.

Phrases like "You stand here by this ugly plant" or "You cold got a peter in your mouth" do NOT feel stilted in the same way.  The strips are gold, man.  The VH... huge turd lumps.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: andalucia on September 12, 2003, 11:08:48 am
The Johnny Cash thing was pretty inopportune, though, huh?
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: slink on September 12, 2003, 11:16:51 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
The Johnny Cash thing was pretty inopportune, though, huh?


You beat me to it. I think the 'Stad knew it was coming. He's like a glass ball of forthcoming images!
Or maybe it was just a coincedence...

(it's funny, I was listening to Hurt (the NIN version) purely by chance when te news item came on! - slashdot link about mould on cd's and how it affects them, and the one I downloaded was the one I know in the first place)
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: V-Adore on September 12, 2003, 05:08:19 pm
... I'm assuming it was a coincidence, but Christ, that just sucked all the vestigial funny out of the entire concept. Time to turn to the ugly plant for consolation.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 05:18:50 pm
Quote from: "slink"
(it's funny, I was listening to Hurt (the NIN version)


Is there another?
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: slink on September 12, 2003, 06:10:16 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "slink"
(it's funny, I was listening to Hurt (the NIN version)


Is there another?


Yes.
The relevance being Johnny Cash just did a version, for which he won a whole bunch of awards.
OK, so it's not hugely relevant, but it left me thinking, did he do a coevr or am I imagining it because it's playing in the background?
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 06:40:54 pm
I thought he may have, from your reference, so I searched for "Johnny Cash Hurt" and found it via a paid mp3 site.

It's not so good.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: slink on September 12, 2003, 06:48:46 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I thought he may have, from your reference, so I searched for "Johnny Cash Hurt" and found it via a paid mp3 site.

It's not so good.


I've only heard it once. Can't remember when or why. I seem to recall thinking, even while hearing it - why cover it? It's one of those songs that there can only be one version of it.
i.e. Jane Says, Under the Bridge (or should have been, but alas, Britain had to spawn that band who did it who I forget the name of) and many others I can't think of right now!
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 06:54:26 pm
True, but then there are covers that surpass the original, like Alient Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal" or Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends" (or even his "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window").

I suppose cover songs could be another thread in another place, though.
Title: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
Post by: jay-ell on September 13, 2003, 01:52:23 am
See if you can find the video.  The video is excellent, and oddly prophetic.