The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: melack on May 10, 2006, 07:09:54 am
-
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05102006 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05102006)
Holy balls, par. Those last few panels scared the crap out of me. Fun as that was, can this arc finally end? Please?
-
Christ Ass. I didn't need to see that today. But damn, this could be awesome. This could go many places.
-
Best twist ending......... ........ever........... .......
......
...........?
-
Oh, come on, the title for this thread is clearly "I told you that story so I could tell you this one".
Or... at the VERY least, <TheDude>if you're not into the whole hidden text thing</TheDude>, "Slish, Sloosh".
-
No, no, no. The title of this thread is easily "You Buy Now and ask questions later, I suppose."
-
10 minutes before I found this strip I was listening to "I Need Two Heads" by the Go-Betweens.
Here we have the most terrifying Achewood.
-
BTW, this strip is pretty awesome. Ray drinking Keith Moons head juice, just to be able to tell that story. Classic Ray. I don't know, everytime I see Ray standing and holding something it cracks me up. Pretty much all of Ray's movements just scream suave.
-
This is pointless but,
Keith Moon's head is SO angry. Is angriest it is ever being.
Sorry, just came to me...
-
Holy crap.
Awesome, Onstad. Pure awesome.
-
That is a truly furious decapitated rock star.
-
Is this not the story about the Jamaican guy whose wife shipped his corpse to Holland in a rum barrel, which later was accidentally savored by some workers? Yes?
-
You mean this one (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-05-04T160514Z_01_L04689509_RTRUKOC_0_US-HUNGARY.xml&src=rss)? Somehow, the concept of drinking the fluid that is preserving a human corpse has now come up twice in one day for me.
edit: Well, now that article is gone. Nevermind.
And I was reading this strip, thinking, hmm.. 'they are really just rambling, it seems like Onstad just was throwing out these situations to see how th... WHAT THE HELL' as my perhipheral vision picked up the perturbed head sloshing around. It is still disturbing.
-
Also, In most other strips, a head coming to life like that would probably be a one-off gag, and the next strip would be about how the PS3 costs too much (or something like that). But here.. there are repercussions. They are not the repercussions that occur in the real world, but at least something happens as a result of some of this wacky crap. I mean, when I first read the comic where ray sold his soul for piano skills, I figured that was just a gag. When ray is told he's going to die from too many tofuttis, again, I predicted gag. I think I have learned my lesson.
And I think that highlights an important issue -- everyone's complaining that it's too early for him to dive back into a storyline, but aren't they all just a rambling storyline? This one just has more local cohesion.
-
You mean this one (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-05-04T160514Z_01_L04689509_RTRUKOC_0_US-HUNGARY.xml&src=rss)? Somehow, the concept of drinking the fluid that is preserving a human corpse has now come up twice in one day for me.
edit: Well, now that article is gone. Nevermind.
And I was reading this strip, thinking, hmm.. 'they are really just rambling, it seems like Onstad just was throwing out these situations to see how th... WHAT THE HELL' as my perhipheral vision picked up the perturbed head sloshing around. It is still disturbing.
Strange, look at this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060509/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_hungary_advisory_1
-
Panel 11. Ray's though bubble. Ownage
-
No way, I did not just see a decapitated head come back to life, no way. Man, what is going on? MAN WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH TEODOR'S LEG WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SOME KIND OF INSECT OR SOMETHING I BELIEVE CENTIPEDES IS CRAWLIN ALL OVER AN SHIT OH NO WAY HOW IS IT FIVE AM, dang.
Mannnn, it has been hell of days since I heard Roast Beef sayin' words, I hope he shows up tomorrow and the next day, maybe. Enough with this "Ray," you hear me Onstad? No? C'mon, now. Get real.
-
Beef is recovering from stepping in dog poo.
He needs time.
This strip is grand. Who wouldn't try and sup from Moon's suspension juice?
-
I can honestly say that I would not try that.
it would be hell of disgusting. Im imagining a taste.
the taste is how formaldehyde smells, but, you know.
-
Yeah, my first thought is "dudes, that's almost certainly actually formalin. There will be problems."
But... HOLY CRAP KEITH MOON'S HEAD IS GOING TO KILL THEM BOTH.
AWESOME.
This is exactly what I needed after having a creepy baroque Gormenghastoid nightmare! Thanks, Onstad!
-
Strange, look at this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060509/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_hungary_advisory_1
There's also a old story where the Royal Navy's Captain died and they were far too far away for him to look proper (and smell okay) when they got back. You can't just toss the Captain into the sea either, so they threw him in the rum barrel which was the only preservative they had. (I often wondered what they'd do if they threw him in with the salty hard tack, would he be jerky after a while?).
So yes.. sailors on a ship and given enough time all the rum was eventually drank of it. The truth of this is somewhat debatable (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/cannibal/tapping.asp), but hell; legends are legends for a reason.
Anyway yes, at least there wasn't dancing cake, and if I had to imagine a biting growling Keith Moon head in a jar, that is basically how I would picture it. So way to accomplish some of your goals Stad, I suppose.
-
Ray taped the headset back together. What a nerd.
-
Ray taped the headset back together. What a nerd.
A man cannot fly Airwolf with no broken headset.
-
Who wouldn't try and sup from Moon's suspension juice?
There comes a time!
Now if you'll excuse me, I have an altar to Onstad to complete.
-
Now if you'll excuse me, I have an altar to Onstad to complete.
What, you think if you present gifts to the alter he'll write less shitty strips?
Hey, it's worth a shot. He's had some of his best work ever out in the past few months, so I pretty much just roll with crap strips like today's and just wait for the next decent one.
WE WILL MOST CERTAINLY RETURN FRIDAY
-
Can a severed head or other body part come back to life after someone has officially died? I know you guys are the ones to ask. Thanks in advance.
-
What, you think if you present gifts to the alter he'll write less shitty strips?
Now, I wasn't crazy about the drawn out tale of the stuffed otter, who is five, going on a Journey to find a discarded couch.
But when the decapitated head of the late Who drummer comes to life, things are definately looking up.
-
Ha!
Taped headset = +10 points.
Nicely spotted.
-
Can a severed head or other body part come back to life after someone has officially died? I know you guys are the ones to ask. Thanks in advance.
Hmmm. It depends how you define "come back to life." Certainly you can electrically stimulate severed body parts to move, and residual signaling or nerve contact may allow for some motion after death; I have a couple of really gross stories I could tell here, but I won't. There's also the old story that decapitated heads remain alive for a short period of time after being decapitated (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08092004), which is plausible enough (since it would take time for the brain cells to die of oxygen deprivation, presumably) but for obvious reasons is sort of difficult to verify. I suppose, if you had a setup where you decapitated somebody and instantly reconnected their head to some sort of artificial circulatory system, they could remain alive, although many low-budget horror movies have established that this is a bad idea.
Also, how do we define "someone has officially died?" If it's heart failure, the above stands; if it's braindeath, then that's pretty much curtains for the head.
-
Teodore and the shaky head, it comes back from the dead that
Sh-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ky (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2740.msg62787.html#msg62787) head.
-
Keith Moon's angry undead eyes are the stuff of which nightmares are made.
-
They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead.
-
They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead.
You say 'dead', but before you know it:
A helicopter comes down in the countryside. Stuffing and the bloody remains of an American curl are the only clues to the mysterious appearance of the chopper. A smashed jar lies on the floor, leaving a puddle of funky-tasting brew. There is one track leading away from the helicopter: an indent in the ground, much like the shape of a human face, lies half-formed in the mud.
A week later...
Lyle Gabriel sat at his desk, carefully adding the final flourish to his latest masterpiece. It had been a good week. Ever since his house-mate Teodor had gone missing, the sudden lack of booze in the house had finally ended Lyle's years of alcoholicism; after one clean night, he had awoken without his customary aching for liquor. He was free. Things Had Changed. His long repressed calligraphy skills finally burst out in all their glory, and before he knew it he had received five hundred job offers in all fields of industry. His talent stood to make him £40,000 a week, and he leaned back in his chair contentedly.
'If only Ma and Pa could see me now', he wondered aloud. A quick glance at the only remaining photo of his long lost parents stirred the inkling of an emotion within him. While before this emotion would have caused him to go on a three day drinking binge, he knew now that he could not hold onto the past. He was even slowly, but surely, beginning to get over Darlene.
The affable Mr Bear called him from the garden, which was currently in a state of immense beauty; Mr Bear was now able to devote his full time to this favourite hobby of his. Whereas before his days consisted of looking after Phillipe and working in various Adult Entertainment industries, the disappearance of Phillipe and Lyle's new income allowed him to fully enjoy his retirement.
Lyle was only all too eager to help plant the new dahlias. Putting the finished project to one side, he strolled out of the room. Looking at his clean new study and the works of art along the walls, he smiled to himself before continuing towards the garden.
Unbeknownst to the departing Lyle, a shape stirred in the corner of the room...
-
Dude, there shall be no fanfiction here!
Even if it's good fanfiction!
Also, full points for "alcoholicism," which I'm pretty sure isn't a word.
-
I just want to say that even if they had to kill that stupid otter to get to this strip, it would have been totally worth it. That shit is creepy.
-
Didn't the Ruskies keep a dog's head alive for a few hours by attaching it to wires and tubes and stuff? I swear I'm not making that up.
-
Does anyone else hope that strange Gremlins-esque rules apply to Keith Moon's head?
Never get him wet with non-liquor or he'll multiply, never feed him non-liquor based foods after midnight or he'll turn more evil?
Never take him to a mad scientist's lab, else you get a hyper-intelligent Keith Moon's head, an immune-to-the-effects-of-sunligh Keith Moon's head and a creepy horny girl-version of Keith Moon's head?
-
Uhmm...
hmm.
well.
I sure as fuck hope tomorrow is chicken.
-
That's exactly what I was thinking of. Given the quality of russian life sciences at the time, though, I'm inclined to think trickery was involved.
-
Cut to the door opening and one of doctors (looking stern in a white lab coat and all) stepping in and the doggie perks up in the box and trots over for a well deserved head pat.
Wouldn't it be funny if when the scientist patted him his head fell off? Eh? No?
-
Keith's head is just bobbing around from the escaping carbon dioxide in its mouth: Dead men's heads don't live.
Tomorrow, Ray and T slip into a coma from aldehyde poisoning, and Emeril is the poison control operator. But who is going to call...?
-
Wouldn't it be funny if when the scientist patted him his head fell off? Eh? No?
I think they were two different dogs, unless they managed to reattach his head which I don't think anyone can do.
V-, could you verify the head staying alive by connecting the subject to an EEG and then decapitating it? You could time how long the device picks up brain activity.
Defining 'coming back to life' is an interesting question too.
-
V-, could you verify the head staying alive by connecting the subject to an EEG and then decapitating it? You could time how long the device picks up brain activity.
Theoretically. The issue here is more "nobody particularly wants this research to be done," in addition to "you could never ever do this on a person for moral reasons," than the actual difficulty of the experiment. EEGs would probably be better than just motor studies; honestly, a head can retain motor activity for a long time after any layperson would call it dead.
-
Somebody gotta call Mike Myers and tell him to update the script for his Keith Moon biopic, in order to include this latest development in his life (death?).
-
man
that dog risked it all for the good of the working class.
what they didn't tell you in the video is that as the scientist patted him on the head, he was saying "good work, comrade"
and the dog was all "yeah yeah, whatever dude I just want some beluga"
originally I had a clever joke, and now I forget it.
so you'll have to be satisfied with "haha! comrade! just like communists say!"
-
so you'll have to be satisfied with "haha! comrade! just like communists say!"
Actually, I believe they say tovarish there.
(I have totally stolen this learning, so you know... there you have that)
-
Theoretically. The issue here is more "nobody particularly wants this research to be done,"
On humans, anyway. I'm sure if we ever find the lost notebooks of Joseph Mengele we'll find that it was tried more than once.
-
On humans, anyway. I'm sure if we ever find the lost notebooks of Joseph Mengele we'll find that it was tried more than once.
Well... yes, but research conducted by Joseph Mengele is in no way even slightly germane to discussion of modern neuroscience. You know, because we don't kill people.
-
Yeah, IRB's have this way of stopping people from doing that kind of research.
Mengele's notebook is probably in China, where they've replicated the experiments on dissdients shortly before harvesting their skin for beauty products (http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,7369,1568622,00.html).
-
Yeah, IRB's have this way of stopping people from doing that kind of research.
Seriously, what part of "nobody wants to do this sort of thing even were it legal and capable of getting a grant" isn't clear here?
-
Hmmm. It depends how you define "come back to life." Certainly you can electrically stimulate severed body parts to move, and residual signaling or nerve contact may allow for some motion after death; I have a couple of really gross stories I could tell here, but I won't. There's also the old story that decapitated heads remain alive for a short period of time after being decapitated (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08092004), which is plausible enough (since it would take time for the brain cells to die of oxygen deprivation, presumably) but for obvious reasons is sort of difficult to verify. I suppose, if you had a setup where you decapitated somebody and instantly reconnected their head to some sort of artificial circulatory system, they could remain alive, although many low-budget horror movies have established that this is a bad idea.
Also, how do we define "someone has officially died?" If it's heart failure, the above stands; if it's braindeath, then that's pretty much curtains for the head.
Thanks Uncle Cecil.
-
Seriously, what part of "nobody wants to do this sort of thing even were it legal and capable of getting a grant" isn't clear here?
Where do you get the idea it's being promoted? I'll grant you that no ethical scientist would find value in such a line of research but I'm betting there's people out there whose personal or professional values don't preclude giving it a go. No reason to get too worked up about the question, though.
Defining death gets you into the whole Terry Schiavo problem eventually and defining life gets you into the whole pro-choice/pro-life argument eventually. Tough ones to get into without people getting emotional or at least passionate. I'm staying away from the beach on that one.
-
Have you considered that Keith Moon may hide a horrible secret?
That even as Ray and Teodor watch the angry head of Keith Moon move about in it's container, a head which was definitely cut off of Keith Moon, thousands of miles away in a secret room Keith Moon's body stands upright, unaided and perfectly still. Where the stump of the neck should be, a bright pinkish lump of what appears to be scar tissue throbs and pulsates, and grows. Slowly but surely, what appear to be facial features can be seen in the moist tissue as it grows and elongates into a shape roughly like a human head over the course of long hours...
-
Strip returns Friday! If there was some way to give ten thousand negative tiny cans of dr. pepper to Onstad's sense of puncuality, I would most certainly do it.
-
Told ya.
-
This is why Philippe brought a ladle.
-
(http://home.blarg.net/~mobbswm/keithmoonshead.gif)
-
Come to think of it, it'd be pretty rad if Keith Moon's head became more personable upon the boys plying him with libations and sharing with them the secret of some hidden pirate gold. You know? Just to see how far Chris can get, just going from one weird plot twist after another, while making it all feel as though its the same plotline.