The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 02:40:30 pm

Title: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 02:40:30 pm
Oddly Compelling (http://www.love-lines.com/)

It uses blogs so I guess it's not a surprise that on May 7th 21 people wanted to disappear and 7 wanted to die... that's basically a standard day for the blogosphere.  (good god I hate the word blog ((also blogosphere)) but this is not the intersection of time and place on my life matrix.)

All the ones I've found come up livejournal so maybe that is all they use (though they claim "blogs" to be the source), my statement can still however ring true if this is the case.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: jough on May 11, 2006, 02:44:08 pm
I think they're using Technorati's API to search, so other blogs should also show up in their results.

I saw that link on Waxy's Links (http://waxy.org/links/) yesterday.  Sort of interesting, although I don't see why I'd need to ever go back there.  It's nice as a novelty, but there's no real content there.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 02:52:47 pm
Indeed, it just sparks my OCD need to collect random data and lists.

This is probably (eventually) a problem.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: CortJstr on May 11, 2006, 03:09:45 pm
Indeed, it just sparks my OCD need to collect random data and lists.

This is probably (eventually) a problem.

So are you like the #1 poster at Things That Don't Exist (http://www.thingsthatdontexist.com/index.php?pagename=showThing&id=482)?
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 03:17:54 pm
So are you like the #1 poster at Things That Don't Exist (http://www.thingsthatdontexist.com/index.php?pagename=showThing&id=482)?

Not yet...  dammit.

Seriously though, the reason I limit myself to one list a day elsewhere is I will otherwise do it until I die of malnutrition and obsession.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: Hobot on May 11, 2006, 03:30:05 pm
Too bad this doesn't account for sarcasm.  Q and Cort, you know what we need here: Frink's Sarcasm Detector.

As of 11:29 AM (EST), 11 May 2006, "7 PEOPLE DIDN'T LIKE IT."
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2006, 03:37:02 pm
Glavin.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 03:39:34 pm
Ooh, a sarcasm detector.  Oh, that's a *real* useful invention.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 11, 2006, 04:11:04 pm
(good god I hate the word blog ((also blogosphere)) but this is not the intersection of time and place on my life matrix.)

You should call it the "Blogodrome".  Much more betterer.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: jough on May 11, 2006, 04:39:57 pm
The Blogodrome: One hundred million men enter, one man leaves.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: CortJstr on May 11, 2006, 04:52:25 pm
The Blogodrome: One hundred million men enter, one man leaves.

I thought that was Shredder's mobile underground headquarters.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 05:32:18 pm
The Blogodrome: One hundred million men enter, one man leaves.

There can be only one....  Highlander?
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: lprkn on May 11, 2006, 05:51:21 pm
I always thought a 'drome' was an area of some kind, as in 'aerodrome'.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 05:58:10 pm
This would definitely not explain Videodrome.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: lprkn on May 11, 2006, 06:03:17 pm
drome
suff.
Racecourse: hippodrome.
Field; arena: airdrome.
Running: palindrome.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Latin -dromus, from Greek dromos, racecourse.]

Source: The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Education
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: Roger on May 11, 2006, 06:20:58 pm
This would definitely not explain Videodrome.

I always thought that this particular use of "drome" referred to "syndrome".

Which gives way to another, more interesting interpretation of Blogodrome.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: Roger on May 11, 2006, 07:54:48 pm
Things That Don't Exist (http://www.thingsthatdontexist.com/index.php?pagename=showThing&id=482)

Sorry about the double posting, but DAMN! That site is brilliant.
There goes my workday.
I mean, The Credible Hulk, people.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: CortJstr on May 11, 2006, 08:08:01 pm
Sorry about the double posting, but DAMN! That site is brilliant.
There goes my workday.
I mean, The Credible Hulk, people.

Just in case you aren't familiar with the inspiration for the site it can be found here (http://www.qwantz.com/index.pl?comic=233).

Edit: My coworker and I have been reduced to tears (http://www.thingsthatdontexist.com/index.php?pagename=showThing&id=21642).
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: Roger on May 11, 2006, 08:17:37 pm
Hey, thanks. I knew those two strips, but I hadn't made the connection. Now it's all full circle for me.
Well, can't really call that a circle. Triangle, maybe?
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 08:21:15 pm
Like the rest of the Internet, most of those entries are disappointing and juvenile, and then you just hit one that astounds.

Credible Hulk is such a thing.
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: V-Adore on May 11, 2006, 11:02:52 pm
Like the rest of the Internet, most of those entries are disappointing and juvenile, and then you just hit one that astounds.

Credible Hulk is such a thing.

I'm also fond of the collaborative novel by Anthony Burgess and The Reincarnation of John Milton.

Furthermore, I'm picturing the adventures of the Credible Hulk: "When he gets angry, he gets bestial and hugely strong! Well, not that hugely strong. He can't throw cars around, but he can lift the copy machine, and stuff."
Title: Re: Mindless Link Propagation
Post by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 11:06:11 pm
"No seriously, I saw him lift John up and help him pop his back."


Recent find on that site: Bicurious George.


So childish and yet so amusing.  Man in the Yellow Hat inDEED!