The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: FlipConstantine on May 12, 2006, 07:06:50 am

Title: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTLE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 12, 2006, 07:06:50 am
Holy Cow (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05122006)

That head does look rather smug.

Alternate title: WELL YOU AND I SHOULD PROBABLY LOSE SOME WEIGHT.

Or:  YOU EVER SHOOT A PERCH?

Whichever suits your fancy.


I particularly liked that the whole exchange was conducted in capital letters.  No typesetting technique better displays emotion, I think.



Fix'd spelling in the subject - Jough
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: evan on May 12, 2006, 07:31:13 am
There has been better emotion through typesetting (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08122002), but not often.

I love this strip. It's like when you get in a fight with a friend and you're mad but you're totally unprepared for an actual argument so you just say the first thing that comes to mind and hope that it makes sense.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: Drygioni on May 12, 2006, 07:48:18 am
What a let down! No mass murderings. Which is a surprise, because Keith Moon's head was certainly foaming at the mouth. Not that you can tell, him being in water and all.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: cellardoor on May 12, 2006, 08:08:01 am
The truth will out.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: robot_god on May 12, 2006, 08:40:32 am
An elegant ending to this strip could have been Ray's sassy face in the second to last panel, surrounded by a circle and written around the circle is RAYMOND QUENTIN SMUCKLES.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 12, 2006, 09:19:21 am
Well, I didn't see this happening.  Hopefully Ray won't lose weight.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: theinevitable on May 12, 2006, 11:29:29 am
dude, no.
you fail.

all of you fail.

Shoot it! Shoot it Ray!
I know, man! I know what you mean!

he doesn't do it. but he tells him that he understands what he means.
this is Ray. the idea of shooting Keith Moon is more important than actually doing it.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: cellardoor on May 12, 2006, 11:48:31 am
Heh, Inevitable is right, that's the strip's highlight.
Also that Ray is shouting it from a safe distance.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: jough on May 12, 2006, 11:58:48 am
I understand that you are wanting to shoot the head.  I get this.  Together, we understand that you mean that you want me to shoot the head.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: Hobot on May 12, 2006, 12:02:24 pm
No, you are all still wrong.  The correct title was "YOU ARE A LOT OF THINGS, BUT YOU ARE NOT A GUY WHO SHOOTS A HEAD!"  As if there is a particular subset of people/talking cats/alive stuffed animals that fits this definition, the Guys Who Shoot Heads.  I mean, really, now.

To be fair, theinevitable's suggestion is runner-up.  It is also pretty good stuff.

Other delightful bits: Ray's eyebrows in the penultimate panel, and "SLERP!"
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: misterqueue on May 12, 2006, 12:03:21 pm
Clearly it's "YOU ARE A LOT OF THINGS, BUT YOU ARE NOT A GUY WHO SHOOTS A HEAD!"

I love that the entire strip is in CAPS-O-VISION!

Further, I was going to say that Ray was a little harsh to T, but then he included himself so... I don't even know.  I feel like T does in that 4th to last panel. All..  "uh.. um... oh..."

Ninja Edit: Dammit Hobot... a few seconds faster!
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: CortJstr on May 12, 2006, 12:50:15 pm
The bear has been stunned by the cat's frank assessment and capable handling of the situation.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: side_show on May 12, 2006, 12:55:48 pm
The most beautiful thing is how the head returns to a delighted expression when ray goes to take it and leave.  Is the head happy that he has cause turmoil? Was the only point of anger for the head the idea that they would drink his head booze?

Just to state it again, I am enjoying this storyline so much.  It is great.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: wombat on May 12, 2006, 01:35:57 pm
This is the correct thread title.  Because really, that is the fundamental problem here.  (It would be better if all the words were spelled right, though.)
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: smick on May 12, 2006, 01:47:31 pm
The severed head of the rock drummer does not want to see the stuffed animal and the cat fight.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: Roger on May 12, 2006, 02:06:47 pm
The head's expression on the 8th panel can only mean one thing: "HA! TAKE THAT YOU HEAD-SHOOTING OVERWEIGHT STUFFED BEAR!"
I mean, that's what it would be saying. If it could talk.
Title: Re: MAYBEE YOUR A LITLE ST00PID WITH YOU'RE MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 12, 2006, 04:33:21 pm
Man I wake up this morning and everyone is dissing on my spelling.  I can't help it guys, okay? 
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTLE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 12, 2006, 04:45:03 pm
So... a bear and a very rich cat owning the disembodied head of Keith Moon and dealing with it flipping out is all... an analogy toward the trails and tribulations of being young parents dealing with who is supposed to take charge when the difficulties of parenthood kick in at their worst?

That's... pretty neat, I say.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTLE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: bonaparte on May 12, 2006, 06:29:13 pm
Ray may be an idiot with his Bennies, but you cannot, I repeat CANNOT, deny that he is a hell of a good friend.  He isn't arguing with T.  He's offering constructive criticism in an attempt both to better his chubby friend's quality of life and save the pseudo-life of Keith Moon's head in a jar.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTLE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: V-Adore on May 12, 2006, 07:56:16 pm
What I like best about this strip is that every line of dialogue is a potential thread title, and not just because it's all in caps. HE WANTS TO SEE WHY HE'S IN PAIN!

Also, I think we've all won an argument or two with the strategy of "say something so stupid and off-topic that your opponent has nothing further to say, allowing you to 'win' by default." It seems entirely Ray's sort of thing.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: MattFish on May 13, 2006, 06:14:08 am
dude, no.
you fail.

all of you fail.

Shoot it! Shoot it Ray!
I know, man! I know what you mean!

he doesn't do it. but he tells him that he understands what he means.
this is Ray. the idea of shooting Keith Moon is more important than actually doing it.

It's been said repeatedly but...theinevitable understands the strip. he totally knows, man, he knows what onstad means.
Title: Re: MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTLE STUPID WITH YOUR MONEY RAY - 12 May 2006
Post by: theinevitable on May 13, 2006, 04:56:37 pm
I feel so loved.

thank you for that.


I know man. I know what you mean! I totally know what is going on in the deepest thoughts of Mr Onstad!

although, V-Adore is also right.

This whole strip is basically Catch Phrases.