The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jough on May 13, 2006, 10:54:16 pm
-
Maybe if you added your birthday info to your profile we'd know ahead of time when your birthday was, dude.
Well, what can I say about Asherdan? He's consistently been a non-crap dude, always contributing things that are at least somewhat interesting, and providing a unique insight into California living, although he's still not convinced me that the West Coast is not a completely culturally bankrupt hellhole.
So happy birthday. May the streets burn like the many candles on your cake.
-
Happy Birthday to you Mister Dan the Man. I promise not to shank you and leave you in a ditch on this finest of days.
-
Radiant birthday greetings to you, Mr Dan. I always associate you with Asher and Dan of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, which in turn reminds me of that time I played bass guitar in a production of said show. So I'm always reminded of bright colours and beautiful harmonies when I see your name.
Have a good 'un.
-
I don't think it's Asherdan's birthday. I think they had a baby today.
-
Happy birthday, if it is your birthday.
-
happy birthday if it is your birthday
happy birthday to a small one (ie: a small asher and/or dan), if it is a small one's birthday.
-
Happy birthday, as well.
Today, it could truly be said, we all have a brimful of Asherdan on our forty-fives.
Though I'm still confused as towards why "everybody needs a buckwheat groats pillow".
-
Though I'm still confused as towards why "everybody needs a buckwheat groats pillow".
I don't know why you ask, but buckwheat hull pillows are the greatest invention since the dang inclined plane.
-
Oh.
Well, then just look at this thread next month when it's time. :P
Also, happy birthday Asherbaby.
-
Congratulations on the little'un and happy be-earlied birthday, good sir!
-
I don't know why you ask, but buckwheat hull pillows are the greatest invention since the dang inclined plane.
I... guess that building a post around a mishearing of a minor hit from about ten years ago really isn't the best way to get laughs. Sometimes I out-obscure myself, there's no doubt about that. No one remembers the one-hit wonder band Cornershop and their one-hit "Brimful of Asha"?
No one else played it on their college radio station and endless mistook the chorus "everybody needs a bosom for a pillow" for "everybody needs a buckwheat groats pillow"? Great. Now I'm weird AND old.
Happy birthday, still, whenever it is.
-
I... guess that building a post around a mishearing of a minor hit from about ten years ago really isn't the best way to get laughs. Sometimes I out-obscure myself, there's no doubt about that. No one remembers the one-hit wonder band Cornershop and their one-hit "Brimful of Asha"?
No one else played it on their college radio station and endless mistook the chorus "everybody needs a bosom for a pillow" for "everybody needs a buckwheat groats pillow"? Great. Now I'm weird AND old.
Happy birthday, still, whenever it is.
Cornershop were so named due to the stereotypical image in Britain of an Indian/Pakistani/Bangledeshi family running a corner shop.
They got pretty popular over here.
-
They got pretty popular over here.
Oh, cool. It's easy to forget that a band can be huge some places and nearly-forgotten in others.
There was a Canadian band, sort of a folky/funny/political little act, Moxy Fruvous, that was really quite good... but while once you're over the American border, they're thought of as this semi-obscure cult act with a small strong following, you jump over the Canadian border, they're derided and mocked because their first single "King of Spain" was by fluke insanely huge in Canada for a couple of months.
In Buffalo, you're huge with indie cred and underground feel... twenty miles over in Niagara Falls, you're a joke of a one-hit wonder that's hanging on for no apparent reason. I guess its similar with Cornershop?
Still, as long as everyone had as much trouble with the lyrics as I did, I'm fine with it.
-
I've got some great stories involving hospitals and how I wound up doing the baby catching for another time. It's lucky I've got 'the good hands' as they say in sports.
Oh dear. Ought'nt a professional be doing that part of it? Glad that you are all doing well.
-
Congrats, man! I will smoke a cigar for you and your little one.
-
Welcome Asherbaby! Stay away from my daughters, ya punk!
-
just...
asher...
no rotating Josephs for the little one.
I know it hurts. but sometimes, as a man, you have to restrain yourself, muchacho.
-
Happy Belated B'day.
-
In Buffalo, you're huge with indie cred and underground feel... twenty miles over in Niagara Falls, you're a joke of a one-hit wonder that's hanging on for no apparent reason. I guess its similar with Cornershop?
The question is, how're they playing in Peoria?
And yea, I remember Cornershop, and I also have Bargainville on CD.
-
Belatedly, happy birthday to Asherbaby, and best wishes to the whole Asherfamilias.
-
That's awesome. Your kid was supposed to be a lot closer in age to mine! We're still looking at Mid-July.
Asherbaby gonna keep that admittedly cool moniker or were you counting on those last 6 weeks or so to come up with a name? Or at least, a leotard with a cool, stylized A on the chest and a cape.
-
Paul is a good, solid name for a kid who already sounds like a fighter. Godspeed, Paul.
-
Excellent! Rock on Paul!
Does he have a mustache yet?
-
man, I was a preemie too. it is intense.
congratulations again on the fine, healthy Baby. And a hello to the new Paul.
-
Happy to hear all are well Mr. Asherdan. Excellent news all around.
-
Get that kid a camera FAST.
Also, my name is Jough but it was almost Paul.
Man, this is one fertile group. Who else is 'specting?
-
My plow imparts no seed even in the most fertile of soils.
-
Man, this is one fertile group. Who else is 'specting?
Pound Puppy #3 is due July 14th or so. Another girl.
-
My plow imparts no seed even in the most fertile of soils.
Yeah, mine either for like over 10 years now.
-
Did you take the blade out of the plow, or did you treat the fields?
-
Did you take the blade out of the plow, or did you treat the fields?
Is that what you public health workers are calling it nowadays?
-
The fields don't even want my plow nowhere near 'em.
-
Is that what you public health workers are calling it nowadays?
I don't think he's talking about sheathing the plow, I think he's removed an active ingredient from the fertilizer.
-
I severed the feed line from the seed hopper to the planter.
-
I should have known he was using a seed drill. Ok kids, all together now, who invented the Seed Drill?
-
Did you take the blade out of the plow, or did you treat the fields?
Oh man... I still got the blade for like... digging the furrows and stuff. I just uh... don't got the seed.
(Weirdest extended metaphor ever)
-
I severed the feed line from the seed hopper to the planter.
And how did that go, exactly? I need to perform a similar operation on my seed hopper, but haven't brought myself to make the call yet.
-
How graphic of a description do you want?
-
And how did that go, exactly? I need to perform a similar operation on my seed hopper, but haven't brought myself to make the call yet.
My husband got his disconnected, it took about 15 minutes, and was about as difficult as getting an ingrown toenail treated (actually the same doctor did it). He says it was not bad aside from the first few days when it felt like someone kicked him in the fanbelt. Apparently the seed hopper has occasional days of sensitivity, but I don't hear much about it so it's probably not that bad.
Riding a bike was apparently painful during the first few months, but it's fine now.
-
Yea, mine was super easy.
I was all like, white-knuckle grippin' the hospital bed while the doc was doing it. I was seriously waiting for him to bring the pain, when I realized he had just moved on to the second one.
I hung out in bed for a couple days, played video games on the laptop.
I never want to wear a jockstrap again in my life. That got REAL old.
-
To a great extent, the worst part of the actual operation was being dry-shaved before hand. I mean, geez, how about a little Foamy or something, you know. Like the dentist, getting the shot of anaesthesia can be worse than the actual procedure too. Once those two things were done the sensation was mainly of a little bit of pressure or tugging.
Anywho, they make a tiny little incision in your scrotum (scrotum, scrotum, scrotum!). They reach through there with a tool that looks much like a crochet hook and pull out one tube. They sever it, tie it off, then shove the ends back in. Then they go back in and find the tube from the other side. I did notice a little discomfort at this point in the procedure. They sever that tube, tie it up and you're done. I don't even think I got a stitch -- just a bandaid.
I had some discomfort for about 3 days, after that no problem.
-
Argh. Still does not sound inviting.
But, I don't want to be forced to buy a bigger house with more bedrooms, so what can you do.
-
I don't even think I got a stitch -- just a bandaid.
I had some discomfort for about 3 days, after that no problem.
I assume you just let that bad boy fall off on its own.
Ash, don't you mean "Ball Brothers to the Maxxx"?
-
I never met a Paul I didn't like.
~Paul
-
I have never gotten the whole "tubes tied" thing. Where does the sperm/egg/whatever go? Does it just get reabsorbed into the body?
-
I have never gotten the whole "tubes tied" thing. Where does the sperm/egg/whatever go? Does it just get reabsorbed into the body?
Seconded. It was all explained somehow until this thread existed. Before it was all 'the little mates can't get through the tube no more. Okay'. Now it's 'If that was true, your balls would explode!'
Though, I think you only produce as many potential baby-makers as you need. So if they can't go through they just return home and sit on the couch and no more is made. Deductive Logic.
-
I have never gotten the whole "tubes tied" thing. Where does the sperm/egg/whatever go? Does it just get reabsorbed into the body?
I believe the bozack swells into an angry little plum. If perchance you get close enough to the swollen bozack, you can actually hear the cries of agony and confusion.
-
Judy-- that isn't true. I know this for A Reason.
The reason is that if you produce too many, they will find other ways to get out. they don't like being all stuck in there like that. Also: they are most likely to get a lady Pregnant if they are "fresh."
-
I'm not sure, but I would assume they are reabsorbed. Perhaps V would know about this?
I would think that the spermatazoa would back up into the seminiferous tubules where they would be reabsorbed by the Sertoli cells, the same cells that reabsorb malfunctioning secondary spermatogonia (immature sperm cells). Sertolis are like these huge gelatinous cells right outside the tubules where the spermatogonia first develop, and the spermatogonia must pass through before developing into mature sperm and reaching the epididymis, where I believe the cut is made in a vasectomy.
But I dunno... I was already tested on that crap, so I'm forgetting it by the second.
-
Spermatagonia... Patagonia!
-
Work's been crazy and I got temporarily addicted to Civ 3 so I wasn't reading the boards, but congrats Ash! I guess being weeks early makes for an easy (if nail-biting) labor? Will you get to stop with the cold showers soon?
It's just amazing how far fertility/NICU tech have come in the last 30 years. Remember when premies were such a huge deal and you were a shrivelled old lady if you hadn't had kids by 35? Now it ain't hardly nothing. Gives me hope, since I'm not planning on shooting out the kids for a good little while yet (need to have the PhD thesis bound and in my hand first).
Jesus - the amount of work we spend trying to not have babies is only exceeded by the amount of work we then spend trying to have them. Crazy.
-
Mite-- my mom for some reason (or, by some accident) had a kid (me!) right before her thesis was done. this was probably not great for her. or my dad.
-
And I'm assuming she finished it? Your mom is one tough lady.
-
I am really not the bio wonk to ask about this (I'm mostly Neuro), but I believe that sperm can just be broken down and reabsorbed. I'm not sure what happens to eggs as a result of tubal ligation, although reabsorption would make sense. Any actual developmental/medical-types who could answer this?
I really am not sure when I'll be having children, personally. There's the Ph.D. thesis to worry about, and this is even before we get into Relationship Problems (see: the Molly thread). I count myself blessed that genetics appears to be on my side in this one, though; my mother was 34 when I was born, and her mother was having kids well into her 40's, so there may be hope for my having a kid at 30 or so once I'm on tenure track. It also helps that I'm going into Neuroscience, which is for some reason an increasingly female-dominated science, so that may make things easier on a professional level.
-
swine-- yeah, she finished it. it was pretty awesome. not to brag, but OH MY GOD MY MOM IS SO fuck*ng SMART. she won some big award for having like, the best thesis in the state of california.
yeah, my mom is a hell of tough lady. but, you know, only when it's necessary.
but I think it was a pretty tough couple of years there. me being born, and most of my dad's paycheck going to UCLA for my mom's tuition, and my mom being stressed about finishing the phD... it was tough. plus, LA is not a cheap place to live.
On the Plus side: my parents ended up getting the lady next door to babysit me, and she had just had a baby, and that family is still really good friends of ours. plus, the daughter ended up being really really hot (as in: when I say she is a model, I am being literal), in addition to being one of the smartest people I have ever met.
-
swine-- yeah, she finished it. it was pretty awesome. not to brag, but OH MY GOD MY MOM IS SO fuck*ng SMART. she won some big award for having like, the best thesis in the state of california.
That is all pretty awesome. My labmate is all like that, but without having the kids. She basically gets scholarships thrown at her all the time. Maybe I should be jealous, and maybe I am a little, but mostly I am just proud of her. Also I can bench press her, so that helps.
-
this reminds me of this time I went up to my bio teacher, and started telling him about this cool thing I read about.
he said "oh yeah. the guy who's doing it was *name of guy*. He was my roommate at UNC. He followed his dream to be a researcher, and I decided I'd teach highschoolers. well, he was smarter than me, anyway... *sigh*"
-
this reminds me of this time I went up to my bio teacher, and started telling him about this cool thing I read about.
he said "oh yeah. the guy who's doing it was *name of guy*. He was my roommate at UNC. He followed his dream to be a researcher, and I decided I'd teach highschoolers. well, he was smarter than me, anyway... *sigh*"
Science is a small, small world. When I interviewed at Cornell, once I mentioned where I went, half the professors I talked to asked me if I knew Professor Blah, and if he was still using the Blargh Protocol in his lab... I swear, one interview was like five minutes of my discussing my goals and twenty minutes of "you TA'd for Blah's intro lab? Does he still use Blargh? How did that go? Did the undergraduates get it?"
-
oh awesome.
Did you end up going to cornell? or... will you? if you do , check out professor Daryl Bem. He's pretty great. I enjoyed his class. Of course, it was an intro class, so maybe he only teaches lower-level stuff (psych. which I assume is in some way connected to neuroscience? maybe?)
OH GOD I'm doing it too.
-
I didn't get into Cornell.
Sorry for that vicious anticlimax.
-
oh, dang.
like none of my friends got in there. it was really upsetting.
It kind of made me glad that I didn't keep my application in long enough to find out my result (since I got into Wash U early decision, and had to withdraw from everywhere else)
the only regret I have about that is its location in the northwest (ie: proximity of all of my friends), and the Thai restaurant in ithaca, which I worship. I'm sure I've mentioned it here before.
-
Cornell is stupid. Wasn't I saying this all along?
-
It is indeed small. The big university I did my undergrad at, there was this notorious professor who kept telling us all that we should go into bioinformatics, as molecular biology is supposedly going to be passe. Then I do, and I go to this smaller university. It turns out my supervisor and this professor were drinking buddies when they did their Phds.
Also my two best friends from the smaller university are both doing or about to be doing postdocs at Cornell, possibly in the same lab. Although yeah, Ithaca is so small that I blinked when we were driving there and we almost missed it.
-
So when you have your tubes tied can you still give your special lady a facial? How does that work?
~Paul
-
So when you have your tubes tied can you still give your special lady a facial? How does that work?
~Paul
The euphemism "shootin' blanks" is especially apt. You're still firing, but it ain't gonna hurt nobody.
-
Paul-- I'm glad that you're checkin' out the options, making sure you can still satisfy your lady in the special way that she likes.
-
Paul-- I'm glad that you're checkin' out the options, making sure you can still satisfy your lady in the special way that she likes.
I aim to please. I'm so very sorry, I couldn't resist.
~Paul
-
So when you have your tubes tied can you still give your special lady a facial? How does that work?
~Paul
You sure can, but you have to purchase some extra equipment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdAIt4MgnHc).
-
So when you have your tubes tied can you still give your special lady a facial? How does that work?
~Paul
As long as your prostate is still working. You can also give her a pedicure and a backrub if you want.
-
Let's schedule ours on the same day and be no-seed bro's TO THE MAXX.
July 21.
-
I believe the bozack swells into an angry little plum. If perchance you get close enough to the swollen bozack, you can actually hear the cries of agony and confusion.
Oh Bozack, where are you?! We miss you so!
Also, I have seen t-shirts that reads "Vasectomy: All Juice No Seeds" with a lovely picture of a couple juicy oranges. Lovely.
-
July 14th.
I promise to tell you about all the fun. Wonder if they'll let me mini-cam it for distubosity!
So? Everything go OK?
-
Ash! Come on man, carlos needs too know! Don't you dare wait until after the 21st, then come around here and tell us you chickened out and have been running around town impregnating ladies left, right and centre. All spreading your sperm across the nation. All getting your bone on in Morocco and Istanbul and the Dominican Republic. That would be wrong. To trick a man into getting a vasectomy. That would be so wrong.
-
one kid in my grade's "senior prophecy" was that he became a doctor who specialized in Vasectomies, so that he could have a better chance of spreading his seed to the ladies of the world.
that got past the censors.
a girl becoming a "professional escort" after dropping out of Harvard... got past the censors.
'julia has an unfortunate incident in a bathroom in Italy" did not make it past.
it was referring to a time when she met a creepy lady in the bathroom.
I hate inconsistent censorship. wtf.
-
And the lack of posting doesn't strike anyone as ominous? Testicularly ominous!
-
Oh, it's not bad at all.
The worst part about the entire thing is thinking about all the painful things that will be done to your jublies in the name of SCIENCE.
-
Oh, it's not bad at all.
Sez you. I found it rather painful. Esp. the receiving of anesthetic. Both sides, they had to push more for me, because the first dose didn't do the trick. Yowch.
The recovery, on the other hand, has been much easier than I anticipated.
-
Well yea... but I've had dental procedures that were worse than that.
What got me was sitting in bed for a couple days. You know... actually the first couple days of walking around without a jock strap completely sucked.
-
do you normally wear a jockstrap, or are you saying that after a few days you realized you should have been wearing one?
-
I read this thread, and get a cold, empty feeling around where my ovaries would be.
-
WARNING: This may or may not be correct, I have no idea.
BUT, I would guess you got to support the area for a while after you get the surgery, so you wear a jock with no cup.
-
Yes... There is some swelling, and tenderness, so son, the junk must be trussed up.
After a week or so, you can shed the jockstrap, but the first few days feel like you're kicked in the ##### with every step.
Do not joyously bound down the stairs.
-
Well yea... but I've had dental procedures that were worse than that.
What got me was sitting in bed for a couple days. You know... actually the first couple days of walking around without a jock strap completely sucked.
Yes... There is some swelling, and tenderness, so son, the junk must be trussed up.
After a week or so, you can shed the jockstrap, but the first few days feel like you're kicked in the ****** with every step.
Do not joyously bound down the stairs.
My dad has had some pretty serious dental operations, but I don't think any of them could be compared to getting kicked in the junk everytime you take a step. Especially not a week after.
-
Well yea... The surgery itself wasn't noteworthy.
The recovery was pretty much sucky.
I had the best phone call with one of the people at the doc office a while later. After you recover, they want some "samples" to ensure that you're sugar free.
The lady called me and said, "This is Judy calling from Dr. Green's office. The sample you gave us today didn't have any sperm in it."
She sounded ... annoyed? So I responded, "I'll try harder next time."
She then explained to me that it was a good thing, and that they'd want another in a few weeks.
-
Best. Response. Ever.