The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: miles on May 14, 2006, 09:14:51 pm

Title: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: miles on May 14, 2006, 09:14:51 pm
I have three really vivid dreams from my younger years.  One is so bizarre and trippy that I can't even begin to explain it.  The other involves a Joe Pesci-like character from Home Alone breaking into my room, but actually being pretty nice about it.  The other involves:

Teeny Little Super Guy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ty6GCNef-Ds&search=Teeny%20Little%20Super%20Guy).

I don't remember the dream that well, only that TLSG was in it.

Anyway, for years the character has been somewhere at the back of my mind.  Today, I watched another Sesame Street clip on a friend's blog, and had this crazy idea to try to find a clip or something on my guy.  I didn't remember the character's name, so googled something like: 'sesame street little cup guy walking clips,' and found his Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeny_Little_Super_Guy) entry.  Then I googled 'Teeny Little Super Guy' and came up with some YouTube links.

Thanks Google, Wiki, and YouTube for helping recover a part of my childhood!  If only there existed a DVD compilation of TLSG clips.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: misterqueue on May 14, 2006, 09:27:03 pm
Oh god... Teeny Little Super Guy...


that weird columbo voice and the like... dammit.. now it's stuck in my head.

Damn you miles.. damn you...

Now I can think of the guy with the 10 banana cream pies who falls down the stairs...   and the "Me and My Llama" song and the buttonhole song and the.. oh fuckit.. damn you.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: AugustWest on May 15, 2006, 01:59:32 am
Personally, I've always wanted to live in a capital "I".
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: side_show on May 15, 2006, 02:57:11 pm
Lady bugs twelve, at the lady bugs picnic - do-de-do-dooo
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: V-Adore on May 15, 2006, 09:25:35 pm
Personally, I've always wanted to live in a capital "I".

I as well, August. I as well.

... er, no pun intended.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: Drygioni on May 15, 2006, 09:33:15 pm
Teeny Little Super Guy used to be on TV all the time when I was a nipper. I was so enamoured with his antics that one day I got all the good glass and drew little people on them at five in the morning. When my Dad burst into the kitchen I promptly knocked half the glasses onto the floor, with only the champagne flutes that formed the enemy army still standing.

Poor Judy had his legs broke.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: smick on May 15, 2006, 09:38:59 pm
I give you Somewhat related multiple-media (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4871363273732239937&q=snmnmnm!a).
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: Doc on May 16, 2006, 08:35:07 am
Poor Judy had his legs broke.

God bless you sir, you are a good'un.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: robot_god on May 16, 2006, 09:06:10 am
The youngest dreams I can remember are by far the most insane, surrealistic and the most frightening.  That shit is just pure subconsious goin' nuts.  No fancy learnin' to get in the way.

If I had dreams like those nowadays, my heart would certainly stop in my sleep.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2006, 01:12:13 pm
my little sister once had a dream that her pacifiers had returned for revenge (after she gave them up due to age).

it was a really terrifying dream.

my most bizzare dream at a young age was from this wierd Alice in Wonderland TV show. there were these two characters, and I dreampt that they were teling me my fortune-- "you will never dream again! You will never dream again!" in suitably wavery and creepy voices.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: V-Adore on May 16, 2006, 01:23:57 pm
One of the first dreams I remember as actually having a narrative is also one of the scariest dreams I've ever had. I dreamt that I woke up in the middle of the night, in my room, except that my bed had been surrounded by some sort of plexiglass box and I couldn't leave. I was just... trapped. It's strange, because there wasn't any imminent danger and I'm not claustrophobic, but... holy crap, terror.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: AugustWest on May 16, 2006, 02:30:21 pm
One of the first dreams I remember as actually having a narrative is also one of the scariest dreams I've ever had. I dreamt that I woke up in the middle of the night, in my room, except that my bed had been surrounded by some sort of plexiglass box and I couldn't leave. I was just... trapped. It's strange, because there wasn't any imminent danger and I'm not claustrophobic, but... holy crap, terror.

Your last name isn't Skinner is it?
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: V-Adore on May 16, 2006, 02:38:46 pm
Your last name isn't Skinner is it?

No, but I am about to go to graduate school in behavioral neuroscience, and I did just finish an experiment involving putting neonatal rats into restraint stress (although that was just for transport)... maybe I was prescient all along!
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: wombat on May 16, 2006, 04:26:34 pm
One of the earliest dreams I remember is of bad guys breaking into my bedroom at night and pulling on my toenails.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: Hobot on May 16, 2006, 04:43:20 pm
One of my earliest, most terrifying dreams I can remember: Vampires in a ball pit.  It is extremely hard to escape vampires when you are sinking and struggling in a room full of plastic balls.  I was so afraid of vampires as a kid that my parents tried to help by purchasing a book meant to alleviate my fears (it dealt with many frightening childhood monsters, including vampires), but the book ended up scaring me so much that I begged my parents to keep it in their room at night.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 16, 2006, 05:43:33 pm
All my scary dreams as a kid involved stairs. Usually some form of monster (usually a werewolf) is chasing me up and around a convoluted and never ending staircase, and my legs just get heavier and heavier.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 16, 2006, 05:54:14 pm
I have a set of recurring dreams where I'm wandering through a mall that is a composite of all the malls of my childhood... all the malls of the Syracuse, Albany and Utica areas... and every time I have the dream, the composite mall gets a little more run down. The anchors swap out for cheesier anchors, the normal stores are replaced by 99-Cent Stores and sketchy antique shops, the food court drops national chain eateries and pick up local chains or one-off shops in their places.

Lately, the floor of the second floor has been been crumbling, forcing you to access the second floor stores via a series of ledges and catwalks. Even though the second floor is all crappy drugstores and party supply stores and clothing stores for very big and very small people, no more cool record shops and bookstores, let alone comic shops and arcades with the latest video games.

It has gotten to the point where the anchors are, like, Ames, Fays Drug, a half-abandoned Montgomery Wards and a Media Play... Media Play being the sick younger brother of Actually Cool record stores. There's, like, a pretzel stand and an Orange Julius and local-chain pizza and Chinese food shops but... Burger King, Taco Bell, etc are all gone. Even Wendys and Mighty Taco are gone, you know?

I remember a swap meet where the theaters used to be.

Freud would probably have a field day.

I have a lot of dreams where I'm talking to someone and I turn around, I'm shot in the face, die and wake up screaming or... slide down a  tube-water-slide at a waterpark, only to find the end capped and I drown after a coupla minutes but... those aren't nearly as interesting to a psychoanalyst. Those just mean I'm crazy, pretty simply.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: misterqueue on May 16, 2006, 06:05:58 pm
All of my childhood nightmares dealt with me being on fire.  Perpetually.

Perpetually on fire.  It was horrible.  I could see the skin trickle off of me like water as it blackened and eventually the bones in my hand came to form like long skinny balloons rising to the surface of a lake.

I spent a lot of nights just memorizing the texture of my ceiling instead of sleeping.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2006, 09:51:08 pm
mq-- that is horrifying.

littlefalls-- I have used to have a similar dream-scape. Except the composite building was a different place every time. It always looked the same, but the purpose was different.
I just remember one dream that started out as a terrifying dream, and ended as a funny "oh man, where did my ##### go?" dream.


Hobot, I'm sorry, but that is adorable.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: V-Adore on May 17, 2006, 02:17:10 am
Wow, these are all hella scary. My God.

There are two really, really scary dreams that I can remember from after my childhood -- one from high school, one from about two weeks ago. In the high-school dream, I was at the kitchen table with my parents, and my father told us that he had just received word that he would die that weekend: no idea when, but sometime between Friday and Sunday night, he'd die. My parents were both deathly calm about this, and initially I was too, until I called my speech coach and said I wouldn't be able to go to the tournament that weekend because my father was scheduled to die sometime and I didn't want to be away when it happened, at which point I just broke down crying and then woke up.

In the recent dream, I and everyone I knew was living in this ancient, crumbling, creepy Gothic mansion -- very dark and foreboding, sort of Gormenghastoid. Much like a dorm, this seemed to be a communal living environment. The major action of the dream was that a whole bunch of us had sat down to dinner when I noticed that my SO was carrying around some sort of shriveled, black thing -- at which point he proclaimed, in that perfect passive-agressive "I am so hideous and pitiful but it's probably really your fault" tone, that it was his finger which had "just fallen off" some time ago. I was speechless, although I really wanted to call him on not getting medical attention. It was less a scary dream than an intensely unnerving one, the sort you don't want to try and analyze lest you come to conclusions you won't like.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 17, 2006, 06:07:25 pm
What I like about all you guys is that, once in a while, you make me feel so damned normal. :-)

Mr Q wins for the dream most likely to lead me to assume/conclude that at some point in your life, you were/are heavily medicated. That is a ghastly dream for a little kid.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: misterqueue on May 17, 2006, 06:11:40 pm
What I like about all you guys is that, once in a while, you make me feel so damned normal. :-)

Mr Q wins for the dream most likely to lead me to assume/conclude that at some point in your life, you were/are heavily medicated. That is a ghastly dream for a little kid.

Then, you should then probably nominate me for "should have been/should be".

It was pretty ghastly.  I assumed everyone had these kind of dreams until Cort told me that it was pretty horrible on IRC the other night.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: pmcd9 on May 17, 2006, 06:25:21 pm
I've had dreams where i'm being pursued by some danger, but I always manage to prevail (sudden super powers, sudden quick wit, fortunatly luck).  My scariest dreams involved being sent to hell.  I'd hate to dream that I was on fire, that stone cold sucks, sorry Q.

~Paul
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: side_show on May 18, 2006, 12:57:05 pm
Last night, I stood, drenched in sweat, at the foot of our bed, screaming at my SO that the wall behind the bed was crumbling and about to collapse on us, that he had to get out of bed, actually screaming "it's going to fall, it's going to kill us!" When he awoke looking confused, then rolled over and went back to sleep, I realized that I was dreaming, and that, indeed, the wall was not about to crush us.  I touched it to assure myself it was solid, flipped on the fan and went back to bed.  I awoke this morning totally exhausted with the fan going, as confirmation that it happened.  I've never moved in my sleep before,  so I'm thinking it's worrysome that I awoke standing at the foot of my bed screaming.  Yes?  Very strange.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: theinevitable on May 18, 2006, 05:30:37 pm
one kid I know told us that his dad constantly moves in his sleep.

not like "I'm going to roll over"
like:

"I'm playing linebacker for the panthers! *tackles wife when she gets up to get water in the middle of the night*"

and even better:

"I can fly! *stands up on the bed, starts flapping his arms, and dives headfirst into the headboard of the bed.*"

these were both confirmed by his wife.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: robot_god on May 19, 2006, 07:11:44 am
"I can fly! *stands up on the bed, starts flapping his arms, and dives headfirst into the headboard of the bed.*"

these were both confirmed by his wife.

Despite this being a serious problem, that is The Funniest Thing.

You could probably pitch an entire movie on that one scene alone.  Starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: theinevitable on May 19, 2006, 08:33:16 pm
oh god. I am now reminded (because I am sick) that when sick, I have the worst dreams ever.

about a year ago, I had a dream that I was fighting in Iraq, and was shot. The war was about to be "over." And when they loaded everything into helicopters to leave (some of Iraq was basically a ripoff of Vietnam), they forgot me. So I was just lying in the hospital, trying to get someone's attention so they'd come get me.

and then, last night:

I was, somehow, an entire inner city neighborhood. arms reached out to pull in drugs, which went into veins and nostrils and pipes. others were sold. parts of me wanted to kill other parts of me. parts of me stole things from other parts of me. it was bizarre.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: Mite on May 20, 2006, 05:38:41 pm
I really don't remember any dreams from my childhood at all. I'm not a big dreamer, normally, and the ones I do have are usually of the naked-at-work/walk-into-class-for-first-time-and-must-take-the-final-now variety, which I have basically all the time, or dreams about grocery shopping or other mundane things.

The best dreams ever were when I was on Zoloft, though. I miss those.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: wombat on May 20, 2006, 06:34:57 pm
I dreamt that I was petsitting my dissertation advisor and wife's dachshund while he was on a long trip, and I went away for the weekend and when I came back it was covered with fleas, and I was upset because my dog was getting them.  I emailed the wife asking if it was OK to put flea meds on it, and she wrote back saying to wait because she was all worried about the meds and wanted to do some research about them, and I was very annoyed.

I blame this dream on all of you guys.  My advisor doesn't have a dog, so I assume the dachshund comes from Onstad's and from all the dachshund puppies that Ben-San keeps posting in the chat room.  (I also haven't spoken to said advisor in a couple of years so as not to rub his face in the fact that I am now picking up animal poop for a living and all his efforts were wasted, but I can't blame his appearance on you guys, I have no idea where that came from.)
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: theinevitable on May 20, 2006, 07:41:39 pm
my mom's PHD came up in another thread, and so I feel compelled to post this. also because it is relevant to Wombie's dream.

my mom still has dreams about taking exams, and writing her thesis. normally they are that she is still working on it, but sometimes they are more "there is one thing you never completed! you never really finished! now you have to come back."
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: Mite on May 20, 2006, 07:49:16 pm
Oddly, I didn't start having exam dreams until I'd graduated college. Can't explain it.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: swinehund on May 20, 2006, 07:59:43 pm
I only had exam dreams the day after I was finished exams. I haven't had any since, but who knows?
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: Lister on May 21, 2006, 04:09:31 pm
Last night I dreamed about Batman and Robin saving an underwater research station from sharks.  Batman like jumped in without breathing gear and started kicking ass because he is that awesome, then Robin jumped in with a bunch of oxygen tanks and saved everyone.  I remember thinking "How come those capes don't get in the way?"

I also dreamed that I was in a large Rolling Stones memorabilia store in Las Vegas, and it was wallpapered with really huge really unfortunate photos of Mick Jagger.

WHAT
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: Hobot on May 21, 2006, 06:13:11 pm
I also dreamed that I was in a large Rolling Stones memorabilia store in Las Vegas, and it was wallpapered with really huge really unfortunate photos of Mick Jagger.

WHAT

I think all huge photos of Mick Jagger are probably unfortunate.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: Drygioni on May 21, 2006, 07:53:18 pm
I think all huge photos of Mick Jagger are probably unfortunate.

Here is some maths.

Simplification.

All huge photos of Mick Jagger are probably unfortunate.
All photos of Mick Jagger are probably unfortunate.
All photos of Mick Jagger are unfortunate.
Mick Jagger is unfortunate.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 21, 2006, 10:29:33 pm
Your logic falls down at the last step there.  He'd have to be pretty fortunate to look like he does and still get his bone on all the time.
Title: Re: The stuff of which dreams are made
Post by: pmcd9 on May 22, 2006, 06:29:13 pm
naked-at-work

Pictures...

~Paul