The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: melack on May 18, 2006, 06:45:16 am
-
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05182006 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05182006)
How would that even work? Nice to see some one-offs these days, I suppose. But man, how would that even work!
Now, which of these (http://www.coolsmartphone.com/images/stories/oldphones/old-phones1.jpg) Nokias do you think is most likely the one Beef uses? I would wager the one on the far left.
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05182006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05182006)
I quite liked this one. Although it perfectly displays Roast Beef's neurotic tendencies, it does seem a bit odd of him to be so worried about a technical computery thing. Erm, like a cellphone.
I always get kind of sad when I see Roast Beef and Molly talk. They're so confrontational.
-
Coming home to find me tea-bagging the garbage disposal.
That line is a home run. That line is frickin' grand slam.
-
Wow, just wow.
Two classic Beef lines, and a classic Beef thing to do. It is just to bad he lets the press control his life, all needing newsweek to agree before he will do anything.
Edit: The other thread title is the appropriate one. Too bad this was posted first.
-
What a coincidence -- I too have an enormous oncology deductible!
-
wait, so, is 'stad saying that Beef has cancer?
or that he goes to oncologists frequently to check whether he does?
when I saw that line, I knew it would be the title. and I was scared. scared for the discussion which was to come.
-
How would that even work? Nice to see some one-offs these days, I suppose. But man, how would that even work!
Now, which of these (http://www.coolsmartphone.com/images/stories/oldphones/old-phones1.jpg) Nokias do you think is most likely the one Beef uses? I would wager the one on the far left.
I think he'd use the little blue phone ... I'm not sure if even Tracfone still supports those big old ones., whereas my mom's been using something like the blue one for like five years now.
(And painfully ... it would work very painfully.)
-
Beef probably has one of those old brick phones from 1988, because dammit, they still work and he ain't need nothing fancy.
I'm not sure I get the "tea-bagging the garbage disposal" line - I mean, it's good imagery, but people that have cancer generally don't mutliate the part of their body that has it. So.... ?
-
Between this and the ChatSack, it would appear Onstad has now defined most of the possible interactions between mobile phones and testicles.
-
I'm not sure I get the "tea-bagging the garbage disposal" line - I mean, it's good imagery, but people that have cancer generally don't mutliate the part of their body that has it. So.... ?
I'm pretty sure that tea bagging the garbage disposal is Beef's way of saying he'll be discarding his useless testicles if he continues to carry a cell phone.
~Paul
-
The very thought of tea-bagging the garbage disposal gives me the jibblies. Nonetheless, the thread title is more or less correct.
-
I was going to say I'm disappointed Beef is so easily swayed by popular media, he seems more like the type of guy to be canvassing medical journals to determine what the consensus is from professionals in the field.
But now I'm just distracted by trying to work out how the teabagging thing would even work. I mean unless he is hung like a damn sack of potatoes you'd need to be doing some serious crouching to get the ol' 'bag down the hole far enough to reach the spinning blades of eunichhood.
-
This is the Achewood that got me addicted. It has been away for far too long. The classic Beef one liners, the absolute adherence to the specific and unique voice of each character.
A+++++ FANTASTIC ACHEWOODER.
-
Excellent Beef dialogue ruined by the presence of Molly. I love the use of "action" as a generic noun, though.
-
"peter cancer", people; "peter cancer".
-
So long as Beef doesn't buy one of those "radiation shields" that actually makes the problem worse.
-
I love that Molly is forced to adopt the phrase "peter." You know there had to have been some instance where she argued with him about whether to use that word, and finally she gave up and gave in.
also: I told my friend "oh dogg achewood today is sick!"
"why?"
"cause... 'cause of something gross"
"what is it?"
"it's a line. or... an image."
"of what, dude? come on!"
"of roast beef tea... of him... of roast beef lowering his testes into a garbage disposal."
"...oh."
-
It's not just the testicles, Molly! (http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/penile/)
Although it is rarer than breast cancer in males (which is no joke and I know a guy)
This Public Servic e Announcement a service of TOUAMB
-
I'm a pretty big fan of how Molly and Beef's relationship is handled, actually, in terms of... the realities of awkward-people love, of dork love, of geek love, etc.
Because... okay... you don't get a much better meet-cute than "In Heaven" but at the end of the day, they both seemed as though they were pretty unlucky in love, didn't date much, couldn't handle the weirdness of the whole deal being as wrapped inside their own heads in different ways, as they both were.
And they just click and they're heel-head-over and everything seems so right and, wow, here's that love that everyone was always talking about that will make my life perfect forever and this is never gonna change and I'm so completed by this whole thing and then... one day they wake up and... they're just in a normal people relationship. The shine of the new and the sheen of their inexperience are off and... okay, what now?
They're a coupla weird people who dig each other and have sex and such but... love and sex didn't fix their entire lives forever like they'd always been thinking it was going to and... there's this weird sort of codependent slightly-disappointed letdown vibe going down with them. Not enough to break them up because they ARE pretty good for each other, as good as weird people can get for each other, but... laced with that disappointment that Finding Somebody didn't create happiness forever and kinda blaming each other for it.
It's sort of the only realistic way to handle the subject of someone like Beef in a relationship and I quite like it.
-
I'm a pretty big fan of how Molly and Beef's relationship is handled, actually, in terms of... the realities of awkward-people love, of dork love, of geek love, etc.
Because... okay... you don't get a much better meet-cute than "In Heaven" but at the end of the day, they both seemed as though they were pretty unlucky in love, didn't date much, couldn't handle the weirdness of the whole deal being as wrapped inside their own heads in different ways, as they both were.
And they just click and they're heel-head-over and everything seems so right and, wow, here's that love that everyone was always talking about that will make my life perfect forever and this is never gonna change and I'm so completed by this whole thing and then... one day they wake up and... they're just in a normal people relationship. The shine of the new and the sheen of their inexperience are off and... okay, what now?
They're a coupla weird people who dig each other and have sex and such but... love and sex didn't fix their entire lives forever like they'd always been thinking it was going to and... there's this weird sort of codependent slightly-disappointed letdown vibe going down with them. Not enough to break them up because they ARE pretty good for each other, as good as weird people can get for each other, but... laced with that disappointment that Finding Somebody didn't create happiness forever and kinda blaming each other for it.
It's sort of the only realistic way to handle the subject of someone like Beef in a relationship and I quite like it.
I like me the cartoons about thurr funny cats.
-
Between this and the ChatSack, it would appear Onstad has now defined most of the possible interactions between mobile phones and testicles.
And just now I realize that this is one big circle that has been completed. The GOF and the Couch arcs were just interludes.
On a different note, I must admit that I always liked Molly. But it's the first time in months that she shows up and she just... nags...
-
This is going to get me crucified, but I have been in the Molly position here: not necessarily about peter cancer, but more about the whole "attempting to explain to paralytically depressed SO that something everyday will not destroy him, and starting to lose patience" gig.
-
I'm not going to crucify you V because I have also been in Molly's position. Is it something about those computer guys? It has changed with age though - now instead of being depressed about normal life, he's often ranting and curmudgeonly about the same things. It's actually an improvement, although I don't win the argument any more often.
Littlefalls, you are right. Don't let them pick on you. And, we NEED Molly to nag and such to get these Beef gems. Yeah, I wouldn't want to have lunch with her either. But it is good when she shows up with the cartoon cats.
She ought to update her dang blog, though, lazy &*^%$.
-
goddamnit littlefallsmets! I need encouragement at my age!
I was kind of hoping the lame note my last relationship ended on was not par for the course.
but also: man, molly is so lame.
and I just realized that my last girlfriend was molly. because I was Roast Beef.
"what if your parents hate the cat, and we have to take it back, and they put it to sleep!"
"daniel... that won't happen. relax."
"but what if it does! what will we do? you have to think about these things!"
"god, you're such a downer."
-
goddamnit littlefallsmets! I need encouragement at my age!
I was kind of hoping the lame note my last relationship ended on was not par for the course.
but also: man, molly is so lame.
and I just realized that my last girlfriend was molly. because I was Roast Beef.
"what if your parents hate the cat, and we have to take it back, and they put it to sleep!"
"daniel... that won't happen. relax."
"but what if it does! what will we do? you have to think about these things!"
"god, you're such a downer."
Your relationship ended on this conversation? Oy.
-
oh, no. that was just an example.
the actual ending conversation was much worse. because I was right. and she acknowledges that I was right. and everyone says that I was right. but, it was a shitty relationship. oh well.