The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: swinehund on May 24, 2006, 12:07:35 am

Title: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: swinehund on May 24, 2006, 12:07:35 am
This house has been in stern disagreement over whether Creamsicles or Fudgesicles are supreme, which is just one manifestation of a larger issue (the fruity/ chocolate divide). Thankfully there are ice cream flavours like Cherry Garcia, which help bring some peace. There have also been abominations such as the Jet Bar (orange sherbet covered with chocolate), which has mercifully passed on. Okay actually I kind of enjoyed these, but that's not the point.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: wombat on May 24, 2006, 12:44:42 am
I refuse to vote in such a poll unless chocolate is given its own separate option.  How can you possibly lump it in with caramel and nuts?

Damn, now I want some chocolate ice cream.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 24, 2006, 12:46:09 am
I don't know where it fits, but




RUM RAISIN.


That is all.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: swinehund on May 24, 2006, 01:11:38 am
I don't know where it fits, but




RUM RAISIN.


That is all.

It is definitely hard to classify, but I would say the rum fits more into the caramel category. The raisins are not really tangy enough to be included with the fruits.

You'd almost think there would be a clearer classification scheme by now. I'm having a hard time picturing this. I guess it would start with the base flavour and then group by features. I'm sure someone must have done this, because it is a very important issue. Of course someone did (http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/icflavours.html), but it is not so satisfactory. There is not enough treatment of particulate diversity.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 24, 2006, 01:16:07 am
I wasn't sure where "cookie dough" would fit either, so i just went with chocolate/nuts.

In retrospect, "other" would perhaps have been more appropriate.  Ah well.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: wombat on May 24, 2006, 01:28:31 am
Oh, what about vanilla?  As that link reminds me, it is by far the most consumed flavor.  What I just ate in the absence of chocolate ice cream in the house was vanilla covered in chocolate, which is one of the best flavor combinations on earth.

I like that that link explains away my suspicion that the continent is full of boring people who choose vanilla again and again in the face of such perhaps excesssive variety as 21st century ice cream affords.

Now, as to your original question: Of course I would choose chocolate, but Creamsicles are a very tough competitor from the fruit division.  Because that is also a combination of inexplicable genius.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: misterqueue on May 24, 2006, 01:32:49 am
I don't really eat Ice Cream.  Is it okay if I just have the cake?
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: Ben-San on May 24, 2006, 01:47:40 am
For a little while Ben & Jerry's had blueberry ice cream that was much less sweetened than most ice cream. It was just full of creamy blueberry-y flavor and it was super delicious. They will probably never revive that flavor.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: swinehund on May 24, 2006, 02:04:16 am
Oh, what about vanilla?  As that link reminds me, it is by far the most consumed flavor.  What I just ate in the absence of chocolate ice cream in the house was vanilla covered in chocolate, which is one of the best flavor combinations on earth.

I like that that link explains away my suspicion that the continent is full of boring people who choose vanilla again and again in the face of such perhaps excesssive variety as 21st century ice cream affords.

Now, as to your original question: Of course I would choose chocolate, but Creamsicles are a very tough competitor from the fruit division.  Because that is also a combination of inexplicable genius.

Let me tell you what I learned about ice cream flavour demographics from two summers working in an ice cream parlour:

Old people (over 50) order vanilla, maple walnut, rum and raisin, sometimes butterscotch ripple (I have nothing against these flavours, just a correlation). Unless they are old italian people, then they will order vanilla or spumoni. A large italian family will order mostly spumoni and a couple vanilla cones, plus maybe one chocolate for the kid.

Females between 12 and 25 or something prefer cherry/ CUNT cheesecake, pralines and cream, cookies and cream, cookie dough, 'funky chunky chocolate' those sorts of complicated things. I think men of this demographic order approximately the same stuff, but more butter pecan and chocolate thrown in.

No one ordered eggnog.

I probably should have just made the question Fudgesicle vs. Creamsicle, but I saw the broader issue at work. However, I know I'm winning because every time I have a Creamsicle, he asks me for a bite of it.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: swinehund on May 24, 2006, 02:09:00 am
I don't really eat Ice Cream.  Is it okay if I just have the cake?

No cake. Only Cookie Puss.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: wombat on May 24, 2006, 02:10:51 am
You worked in an ice cream parlor that sold spumoni?  I have never seen this in my adult life. I thought it was extinct but maybe it is instead that I moved away from the Bronx.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: misterqueue on May 24, 2006, 02:32:41 am
No cake. Only Cookie Puss.

"Cookie Puss, I will eat your soul!" </Satoshi, Eater of Souls>
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: swinehund on May 24, 2006, 02:34:46 am
I grew up in a rather italian part of town. Apparently we even had our own mafia? I'm not sure about that one. It was, however, considered cool to have italian ancestry at my grade school, where kids with obviously scottish last names would claim they were italian (they were, but like 3rd generation). Also you could get pannetone and the huge and festively-wrapped chocolate easter eggs (http://www.limoncello.co.uk/acatalog/Limoncello_Seasonal_28.html) at the grocery stores. Once I got one and it had a cheap little medal of the Pope in it as a prize.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: AugustWest on May 24, 2006, 02:38:35 am
Anthrax Ripple?
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: Doc on May 24, 2006, 03:06:51 am
My old standby has always been mint choc chip so I guess that puts me in with the chocolate crowd. But we know not of your creamsicles in this foreign land.
Lemon Sorbet is the bomb of course but it's not really fair pitting sorbet (or heaven's forbid Gelato) against ordinary run of the mill ice cream.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: smick on May 24, 2006, 03:59:51 am
I don't partake in the dairy, but there's a Sorbet "Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert"* that I enjoy.   It is called COOKIE AVALANCHE (http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/purely_decadent_cookie_avalanche.html).


It's pretty bad.   I reckon that there we're under about 16 feet.

We're going to have to eat our way out, sir.


* - See Also: Cold Fun
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2006, 04:01:53 am
hm.

maybe vanilla is the most popular because everyone can agree on it?
I like icecream with caramel or nuts or something, my sister likes the same, and my brother likes only chocolate or cookie type icecreams.
so my mom just gets vanilla. because everyone will eat vanilla.
also: for putting on cake, for putting in milkshakes, for making sundaes, etc.

I don't know. Sometimes all the crap in icecream is just too much, and some plain vanilla is nice.

At least, in theory. I don't think I've ever eaten it plain.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: pmcd9 on May 24, 2006, 04:48:50 am
I don't really eat Ice Cream.  Is it okay if I just have the cake?

You Sick Fuck!

~Paul
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 24, 2006, 01:21:46 pm
I cannot, under ordinary circumstances, buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby.

Because I will EAT THE WHOLE GODDAMN THING IN ONE SITTING.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: misterqueue on May 24, 2006, 01:26:31 pm
I cannot, under ordinary circumstances, buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby.

Because I will EAT THE WHOLE GODDAMN THING IN ONE SITTING.

That shit scares me... there's pretzels in there.

I mean I like pretzels, but never once did I think "You know what would be good on these?  Sweetened Salty Heavy Cream and Milk!  That sounds absolutely delightful!"

I am not judging your Mr. DelVaca, I am just sayin' is all.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: CortJstr on May 24, 2006, 01:46:49 pm
A mom-n-pop near my house used to make raspberry truffle. It was raspberry ice cream and if you bought a pint it had whole truffles mixed in. If you ordred a cup/cone they candies had been crushed. It has ruined all other ice cream. Luckily I can still have orange gelato. Especially the kind that's basically vanilla with some zest in it. Awesome.

Wombat, the pizza place in Tyson's has spumoni all the time and it always looks gross. I can't imagine eating it.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 24, 2006, 02:45:06 pm
Don't knock it till you've tried it, Q.  If you're not up for Chubby Hubby yet, look for a pretzel cone at your local ice cream shop and try your regular ol' ice cream in that.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: misterqueue on May 24, 2006, 03:01:59 pm
Don't knock it till you've tried it, Q.  If you're not up for Chubby Hubby yet, look for a pretzel cone at your local ice cream shop and try your regular ol' ice cream in that.

Oh I've tried it... believe me.  Then I gave the pint to the local stoners in my dorm at the time because I couldn't deal with it.


True story.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 24, 2006, 03:59:33 pm
Oh.  Then knock at will.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: wombat on May 24, 2006, 04:37:07 pm
Wombat, the pizza place in Tyson's has spumoni all the time and it always looks gross. I can't imagine eating it.

It often is gross actually.  I have more a nostalgic interest than anything else.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: pmcd9 on May 24, 2006, 04:59:27 pm
Spumoni has changed.  Once upon a time (at least as I remember it) Spumoni was akin to neopolitan in that each flavor was seperate.  It dissappeared from my life for many years and during that time it changed.  Upon it's return it became like a swirl of all the flavors mixed together which is much less desirable.  Much the same way that rocky road now often has marshmallow creame instead of actual marshmallows.  Fuck that shit!

~Paul
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: Hobot on May 24, 2006, 05:20:26 pm
Firstly, I would like to express my thanks to swinehund for being so dang considerate as to include an option for legitimately lactose-intolerant folks, as well as crazy vegans like me.  If it weren't for that option, my vote would go to the chocolate, &c category; I'll have you know, however, that soy ice cream is incredibly delicious, and I very much enjoy it.

Secondly, eating gelato is one of my few fond memories of my trip to Italy in the eighth grade.  I think I ate it at least once a day.  Mmm.

Thirdly, a crazy-sounding recommendation that is nonetheless wonderful: chocolate and peanut butter ice cream with Nerds (the candy, not the people; though they're delightful, too).  I know it sounds gross, but it is excellent.  The tanginess of the candy works very well with the sweetness of the ice cream.  I'm not sure what the peanut butter adds to the combination itself, but I just love chocolate and peanut butter ice cream.

Finally, Q, you're insane.  Cake can suck it; ice cream wins forever.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: misterqueue on May 24, 2006, 05:22:10 pm
Finally, Q, you're insane.  Cake can suck it; ice cream wins forever.

Pffft.. you don't even eat real ice cream.  Who asked YOU?!

Oh Snap!
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2006, 05:42:05 pm
this one time, in Italy, I was the dumb american who fell for It.
I ended up with a 13 euro icecream.

so many scoops.

we sat on the steps outside the place, in Piazza San Marco, and ate that gelato. It was so good.

And then:

"Brooks... aren't you diabetic?"
"yeah. oh well."

and then:

"YOU WIN YOU SON OF A BITCH" *throws remainder of gelato into trashcan*
it was so much icecream that I thought I would die. I felt so sick. I finished a little more than half of it. After a few minutes, it started melting, and I was just covered with liquid gelato.

we ate gelato basically every day, because the girls just wanted to shop.
I wish I had bought some clothes. they had such good clothes there.
also: food.
also: everything.
also: the women were all beautiful.
also: I want to live there.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: V-Adore on May 24, 2006, 05:50:06 pm
I voted for "fruity," but I think probably the better option would be "serene ice cream." I enjoy a lot of flavors, but what I really enjoy is a good simple ice cream, of one flavor, without excess ripples and chunks. This will probably get me marked as a boring person, but a nice simple vanilla, all smooth and creamy and perfect, is basically like treasure. Also: lemon gelato. While there are a few gaudy/chunky/ripply flavors I enjoy (buttercrunch, mint chip, cookie dough, bubblegum), I can't handle this "ultra-chunky nut'n'fudge'n'monkey ripple marshmallow dip" stuff.

Perhaps my favorite ice cream flavor of all, which I may never find again, was "cinnamint" from a mom-and-pop nearby when I was a kid. It was this utterly perfect cinnamon-mint mixture, smooth and non-overbearing but still... oh man. Oh, man. One day, I will get an ice cream machine and attempt to replicate it, but it'll be a shadow on the wall of the cave compared to that stuff.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2006, 05:55:09 pm
and, if one of us tried your cinnamint, we would say it was the best.
but you would know that it wasn't as good
but you would never be able to convince us.

socrates cinnamon/mint swirl
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: swinehund on May 24, 2006, 06:45:39 pm
I did get an ice cream maker some time ago. While it's pretty cool to be able to go all crazy making whatever flavour you like, the result is not quite as good as when the professionals do it. I have one of those simple bucket full of antifreeze and hand crank ones, so it's possible that one can do a lot better with a fancier one. The main problem seems to be that when I have to transfer it to some other container, the ice cream freezes pretty solidly, so I am probably not managing to get enough air in it. It seems to be better for sorbets and ice creams with a little bit of booze in them (mint chocolate chip made with creme de menthe, rum screech and raisin). Gin and tonic sorbet (with a bit of lime) is actually pretty nice. Prune sorbet is better than you might expect!

I must like ice cream, because I am nodding in agreement with basically everything that's been mentioned here. Pretzels with ice cream, peanut butter chocolate, both of those together. Cinnamon ice cream is great but shamefully underrepresented. Tofutti cuties are good too even if occasionally lethal.

It just hit me now that it might work out better if I whipped the cream separately, then folded it into the chilled custard mixture just before freezing. Damn it, now I might have to make some more.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: misterqueue on May 24, 2006, 06:48:13 pm
It seems to be better for sorbets and ice creams with a little bit of booze in them

A way in which I could potentially enjoy ice cream a whole lot more is slowly coming into view here.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: wombat on May 24, 2006, 07:43:25 pm
I can't handle this "ultra-chunky nut'n'fudge'n'monkey ripple marshmallow dip" stuff.

I agree.  Like, I like Ben&Jerry's Phish Food but only if I pick out the chocolate giraffe.  This might be because I am the kind of person who never outgrew the toddler feeling that I DON'T WANT MY FOOD TO TOUCH.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: Mite on May 24, 2006, 07:44:06 pm
I'm the vanilla-with-bits-of-chocolatey-peanutbuttery-cookiedoughy crap in it. Edy's makes a great light ice cream. You really can't even tell it's not bad for you.

Did anybody else grow up calling mint chocolate chip ice cream "peppermint bon bon"? Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=peppermint+bon+bon) backs me up, but nobody I've talked to, not even fellow Minnesotans, know what the hell I'm talking about.
Title: Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
Post by: CortJstr on May 24, 2006, 10:53:47 pm
Thirdly, a crazy-sounding recommendation that is nonetheless wonderful: chocolate and peanut butter ice cream with Nerds (the candy, not the people; though they're delightful, too).  I know it sounds gross, but it is excellent.  The tanginess of the candy works very well with the sweetness of the ice cream.  I'm not sure what the peanut butter adds to the combination itself, but I just love chocolate and peanut butter ice cream.

Finally, Q, you're insane.  Cake can suck it; ice cream wins forever.

I once tried a Nerds Blizzard at DQ. Oh my god it was horrible. You know when Homer eats the experimental sour ball at the candy expo and his entire face caves in due to the pucker? My head tried to do that when I ate this concoction. It was painfully sweet that my 7 year-old mouth could not handle it.