The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: linnea on May 27, 2006, 05:29:25 am

Title: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: linnea on May 27, 2006, 05:29:25 am
I feel so sassy! Renting a room by the hour!

here in the Anchorage airport there is this fabulous place where you can rent a room. No, it's not for immoral purposes, although I suppose you could use it for that if you wanted. However, I just wanted to take a nap and use the free internet that comes with the room.  Unfortunately, there is no bathroom, which sucks because I'd love to take a shower right about now. However, there is a free computer, and a television, and a super large leather sofa that is calling my name. I have to catch a redeye at 1AM, so I'm getting a little R&R here before I have to go.

Plus, I almost left my damn cellphone at the TSA security checkpoint. Thank Baby Jesus that I remembered it.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 27, 2006, 06:11:31 am
Good to hear from you. This isn't another sneak visit to Hawaii, is it?

Enjoy your long weekend!
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: Drygioni on May 27, 2006, 10:15:41 am
No, it's not for immoral purposes, although I suppose you could use it for that if you wanted. However, I just wanted to take a nap and use the free internet that comes with the room. 

Do nearly all hotels have free internet access in America? I remember seeing this rant by some webcomic guy about how 'backward' some hotel was because it had no internet. In Britain and the continent free access is really rare and even basic internet access for money is not guaranteed.

As for the immoral part, in Brussels I was flicking through the channels with my younger brothers (all three of them) and channel 13 had a VERY graphic preview of its pay-for-porn service. That took a lot of explaining.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: CortJstr on May 27, 2006, 03:17:42 pm
Do nearly all hotels have free internet access in America? I remember seeing this rant by some webcomic guy about how 'backward' some hotel was because it had no internet. In Britain and the continent free access is really rare and even basic internet access for money is not guaranteed.

As for the immoral part, in Brussels I was flicking through the channels with my younger brothers (all three of them) and channel 13 had a VERY graphic preview of its pay-for-porn service. That took a lot of explaining.

It tends to vary by town. Once one hotel in a town switches to free high-speed then the others tend to follow suit pretty quickly. Often even places like Budget Inn join in. What's slightly more rare is free long distance calling.

Linnea, you need to find yourself a good truckstop. They generally have showers and towels you can rent. (mmm, rented trucker towel)
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: robot_god on May 27, 2006, 07:11:14 pm
I've been spending a bunch of nights over in Atlantic City this year, and it seems to vary completely by place.  Random, almost.

Few years ago this one place in Virginia made you pay, but if I stayed by the window, my laptop could pick up a signal for a few minutes at a time.

Seems about 60% of places have free internet.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: misterqueue on May 27, 2006, 07:20:21 pm
I believe a lot of this free internet and such is driven by businessmen who travel.  I know that whenever my company sends me somewhere they prefer I pick a place that doesn't charge.  (We have this whole weird set of arcane rules to follow for travel.  If you cannot go out and seek sustinence and must order room service you have to slay a red dragon and present its heart to the Expense Accounts board as proof of your worthiness.  The Expense Accounts board is in the Mystical Palace of Wonderon lying in the heart of the Swamp of Sorrows by which you have to traverse a series of feats of skill; each more dastardly than the last.  You will then find them behind the door marked "Beware of the Puma".)
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: theinevitable on May 28, 2006, 04:53:41 pm
where did everyone go? there hasn't been a post made since yesterday afternoon...
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: Drygioni on May 28, 2006, 05:03:37 pm
where did everyone go? there hasn't been a post made since yesterday afternoon...

Man, I know. I came on this morning expecting a plethora of posts made while you were all active and I was in my pyjamas. For the first time, there were no new posts. Maybe people just all went really social on Saturday night.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: wombat on May 28, 2006, 05:04:27 pm
They have all gone away for the holiday weekend to hotels that do NOT offer free wireless, obviously.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: theinevitable on May 28, 2006, 06:44:45 pm
yeah, dang.
I was out all of friday night, and basically all of saturday (graduation parties! whee!), and there were only a handful of posts when I got back.

But, I guess it is a holiday and all...
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: Hobot on May 28, 2006, 08:10:43 pm
To get this (sort of) back on topic, I am always delighted when some airports (like Hartford/Springfield's Bradley) have free wireless access, but dismayed when other airports (like Philadelphia's) do not.  Free Internet access seems like something that all airports should have available, what with all the potential delays and layovers that give the many businesspeople frequenting said airports time to get extra work done.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: theinevitable on May 29, 2006, 04:38:03 pm
or, that allows traveling Hobo-*****s to access messageboards about alive stuffed animals.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: V-Adore on May 29, 2006, 05:23:33 pm
Free Internet access at airports is explosively rad. I cannot endorse it enough.

Also, I have been gone because the SO is here and I have been spending most of my time doing SO-is-visiting type activities, like museum visits and makeouts. So... y'know.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: Ben-San on May 29, 2006, 07:51:34 pm
Also, I have been gone because the SO is here and I have been spending most of my time doing SO-is-visiting type activities, like museum visits and makeouts. So... y'know.

I imagined the little Snidely Whiplash eye saying that in a melodrama-villain/Radio Strong Bad type voice and got a good quick chuckle.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: Doc on May 29, 2006, 11:36:23 pm
Also, I have been gone because the SO is here and I have been spending most of my time doing SO-is-visiting type activities, like museum visits and tying people to train tracks mwahahahahahahahahaaha! So... y'know.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: linnea on May 30, 2006, 04:52:31 am
AD, sadly there are no sneak trips to the Aloha State. I'm chilling in CO. I have to add that the internet access was not "free" per se, since I did in fact have to pay for the room at the airport. Still, $45 for several hours of blissful privacy and a place to recline and check email and talk on a messageboard about alive stuffed animals is well worth it.

The weather here in CO is hot. HOT!!  My tundra-stiffened body is having some difficulty acclimating. Plus my skin is deadly pale. My sister mercifully let me use some of her self-tanner so as to avoid pilots looking down and being BLINDED by my luminescently giraffebelly whiteness and thus having planes falling out of the sky while the pilots claw at their faces and scream, "MY EYES!". It was like 90 degrees (Fahrenheit) yesterday. SUUUUCK! Today I was roped into helping wash and wax vehicles belonging to my dad and his new wife. I cannot complain, though, since my dad lets me drive his truck rather than having to rent one of my own. It is a thing of beauty. My truck in Alaska is a 1986 1/2 rusted out Nissan Pathfinder, and although I love it, my dad's 2006 Silverado with bitchin' awesome sound system has it beat. I can even drink a cup of coffee or boba tea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea) without having to be bothered to switch gears, since his truck has an automatic transmission! Sheer luxury!
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: CortJstr on May 30, 2006, 12:51:20 pm
Pale is dandy by me. Because skin cancer is lame no matter what the "cool kids" tell you.
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: Hobot on May 30, 2006, 02:14:47 pm
But Cort, thymine dimers!
Title: Re: renting rooms by the hour at the airport, and no not for THAT
Post by: Mite on May 30, 2006, 05:04:45 pm
Man, why can't more airports have such rooms? I just spent last night sleeping in a chair in the Pittsburgh airport, and then I had to come straight to work after my plane landed here. Let me tell ya, I'd be a lot perkier if they'd had rentable rooms.

(And no, my plane wasn't delayed or anything, I just had an early flight, and rather than get a couple hours sleep and then drive the two hours to Pittsburgh at 3 am, I thought I'd drive to the airport at midnight and just wait there. Maybe not my greatest plan, but a plan nonetheless.)