The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jough on September 12, 2003, 06:55:23 pm

Title: On the Road
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 06:55:23 pm
I just want to point out that the site is very very hard to use from a tiny browser window on a cell phone.  And that this tiny keyboard is making my hands hurt.

That is all.
Title: On the Road
Post by: CortJstr on September 12, 2003, 07:04:30 pm
Well maybe somebody should have realized that cell phones are now the dominant browser market. Only old fogies code for IE6
Title: On the Road
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 07:06:55 pm
Well, I didn't code this thing.

If I did, I would have used CSS for the layout and would have made a "handheld" style sheet to make it pretty for this tiny screen.

As it is - it's pretty hideous.  I'm actually not using the board software to post, but SSHing into the backend and reading posts and replying directly to the database.

My apologies to replies that show up in the wrong threads.  I have to remember as I type that this is threadID 286, for instance.

-- Jough
Title: On the Road
Post by: slink on September 12, 2003, 07:13:48 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Well, I didn't code this thing.

If I did, I would have used CSS for the layout and would have made a "handheld" style sheet to make it pretty for this tiny screen.

As it is - it's pretty hideous.  I'm actually not using the board software to post, but SSHing into the backend and reading posts and replying directly to the database.

My apologies to replies that show up in the wrong threads.  I have to remember as I type that this is threadID 286, for instance.

-- Jough


You should set up secure shells for all who want them then. I can think of few more useful things than being able to be active on this board while I am away from home. I've found no other use for a phone with GPRS (aside from email, but even then, no one knows that address yet).

(edit: I know it's never going to happen, just commenting on how cool and useful it is!)
Title: On the Road
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 07:17:50 pm
Yeah, there's no way in hell I'm going to give anyone else access to the database.

I did realise, though, as I was backing up the DB last week that I could read all of the PMs.   :evil:
Title: On the Road
Post by: slink on September 12, 2003, 07:22:30 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, there's no way in hell I'm going to give anyone else access to the database.

I did realise, though, as I was backing up the DB last week that I could read all of the PMs.   :evil:


That's just evil! I for one say we all make sure to delete our PM inbox at all times regardless of importance.
Or just flood Jough with copies of everything we recieve by way of protestation.
Anyway, just to keep you typing away on that tiny little baby keyboard Jough!
Title: On the Road
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 07:24:47 pm
I didn't say I actually *read* them, just that I *could*.

Anyway, I think the board makers try to prevent that by keeping the thread info (like who said what) in a separate table - which makes it really hard to fix something if it goes wrong, but I digress.