The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: evan on June 02, 2006, 08:41:53 am

Title: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: evan on June 02, 2006, 08:41:53 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06022006

Back to the magic underpants storyline, I guess. At least now we know why Ray was angry when Beef added too much water to his cup a week or so ago. Also, note Roast Beef's "Mega Nerd" gang sign in panel ten. RepreSENT
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: Triplets on June 02, 2006, 09:07:45 am
Is Beef's sign 3 over Pi? I think it is.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: oball on June 02, 2006, 09:41:29 am
Not "MN", for Mega-Nerd?
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: misterqueue on June 02, 2006, 10:16:33 am
First of all:  "This is some black beans Ray" = Very Yes.


Oh Lyle.  In the garage throwing up spaghetti eh?  I almost hear someone else, maybe Mr. Bear, saying "Again?" in the background.  Lyle, you truly are king of kings.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: Drygioni on June 02, 2006, 10:22:27 am
I would have used that 'this is some black beans Ray' statement as the thread title, but the early bird catches the naming privileges. That'll teach me to stay up until 2am playing Episode 1.

The look on Phillipe's face when Teodor walks in is great, as is Beef's slip into his old panicky ways, despite the heavenly weight hanging around his dong area. Not to mention Beef's pose in panel 10. That is exactly what Mega-Nerds look like.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: robot_god on June 02, 2006, 11:14:29 am
T is rolling up a dongamari.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: wombat on June 02, 2006, 11:45:35 am
The Mega-Nerds need YOUR help!

I confess I was getting tired of this storyline and couldn't imagine it was going anywhere good, but I am tickled by Teodor's magnet picking up paper clips and driving him mad.  I am sorry for doubting you Mr. Onstad.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: CortJstr on June 02, 2006, 12:45:34 pm
I didn't realize 2.5 oz worked for everybody. I thought they'd have to calculate the idea for each person based on height or something. Clearly I am not at the forefront of dong science.

Is Beef throwing gang signs down at the bottom?
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: Hobot on June 02, 2006, 12:52:55 pm
Is Beef's sign 3 over Pi? I think it is.

Triplets, you win.  Thank you for having the best first post in the history of the board.

I agree with wombat; today's strip was great, despite my previous lack of enthusiasm for this arc.  Beef's "this is some black beans Ray," the disastrous magnet incident, Philippe's horrified expression and Téodor's crazed and angry gesticulations in panels 7 and 8, Beef's gang sign (individual toes/fingers adorable), Lyle throwing up spaghetti in the garage, the alt-text... EVERYTHING WAS BRILLIANT.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: mrdna1 on June 02, 2006, 01:11:10 pm
Not "MN", for Mega-Nerd?
Pretty sure it's this. Of course, it's a bit of a moot point since Beef looks more like he wants to hug Philippe than represent.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: Hobot on June 02, 2006, 01:14:11 pm
Pretty sure it's this. Of course, it's a bit of a moot point since Beef looks more like he wants to hug Philippe than represent.

No!  I will cling to my belief that it is 3 over pi!
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: jough on June 02, 2006, 04:38:01 pm
Yeah, didn't notice Beef's "gang signs" the first read.  Nice touch.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: pmcd9 on June 02, 2006, 05:14:05 pm
I think it's MN, but 3 over pi is rad.

~Paul
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: melack on June 02, 2006, 05:40:56 pm
Please tell me I'm not the only one who read the phrase "frontweight" from the second panel as "fontweight", thereby causing me to have to re-read the entire comic again for it to make sense. I just figured those first few panels were a really elaborate graphic design joke. I think I've been designing too many websites lately, is the problem.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: theinevitable on June 02, 2006, 06:00:13 pm
um so,
what exactly do black beans have to do with anything?
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: misterqueue on June 02, 2006, 06:20:33 pm
um so,
what exactly do black beans have to do with anything?

Dude... it's like sass in the main... If you need an actual logical answer, maybe the beans are black because it is a dire situation.  BLACK BEANS DOGG!
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: Drastic Action on June 02, 2006, 08:04:15 pm
What exactly do pickles on parade have to do with anything?  It just sounds like trouble.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 02, 2006, 08:42:22 pm
The use of "Mega" as a catch-all prefix reminded me a lot of Captain N and The Gamemaster, where they had Megaman use "Mega" as a catch-all prefix for... no particular reason, just to give him a catchphrase to build the merchandising/vocal performance around. This is not really important in anyway but it is at least a thing.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: yotayquiero on June 02, 2006, 09:27:51 pm
um so,
what exactly do black beans have to do with anything?

Clearly, he is referring to the infamous Black Bean Episode (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/BB/qmb1.html (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/BB/qmb1.html)), in which 176 fighters for Texan independence who had escaped a Mexican prison camp and been recaptured were sentenced to decimation by lottery.  They were ordered to draw out of a canvas bag filled with 176 beans, 17 of which were black.  The men who drew the black beans were executed by firing squad.  Those are some black beans.

I am a texan and a schoolteacher.  I am sorry about this.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: Drygioni on June 02, 2006, 09:42:18 pm
Clearly, he is referring to the infamous Black Bean Episode (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/BB/qmb1.html (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/BB/qmb1.html)), in which 176 fighters for Texan independence who had escaped a Mexican prison camp and been recaptured were sentenced to decimation by lottery.  They were ordered to draw out of a canvas bag filled with 176 beans, 17 of which were black.  The men who drew the black beans were executed by firing squad.  Those are some black beans.

I am a texan and a schoolteacher.  I am sorry about this.

All I can say is thankyou.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: AugustWest on June 02, 2006, 10:07:19 pm
T is rolling up a dongamari.

You get hell of cans for that.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: pmcd9 on June 02, 2006, 10:39:34 pm
Shit's gonna hit the fan.  Ray just gave up his frontweight.  Black Beans!!!

Also, thank you yotayquiero.

EDUCATION

~Paul
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: Mr. Chord on June 03, 2006, 06:10:51 am
  Lyle, you truly are king of kings.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the King in a panel? I hope that is where this is leading.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: misterqueue on June 04, 2006, 01:20:44 am
Wouldn't it be nice to see the King in a panel? I hope that is where this is leading.

To be honest, that is my secret hope for EVERY Achewood strip.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: DanSC on June 10, 2006, 12:38:46 am
I know this is like a week old at this point, but I just had this sudden realization that Teodor, when his weight is miscalibrated, is basically the same as this old roomate I had, when he was stoned. He used to walk around saying things in almost the exact same tone, complete with liberal self-identification as a "genius!". Once, he got high, and thought I wasn't in the apartment anymore, and I hear him in the living room say "I am alone... ...I am the king!"

Sorry, I was just compelled to share this random memory here.
Title: Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
Post by: pmcd9 on June 10, 2006, 05:51:16 am
I know this is like a week old at this point, but I just had this sudden realization that Teodor, when his weight is miscalibrated, is basically the same as this old roomate I had, when he was stoned. He used to walk around saying things in almost the exact same tone, complete with liberal self-identification as a "genius!". Once, he got high, and thought I wasn't in the apartment anymore, and I hear him in the living room say "I am alone... ...I am the king!"

That was this weeks installment of why you shouldnt have a roommate.

~Paul