The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Drygioni on June 05, 2006, 02:58:41 pm

Title: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: Drygioni on June 05, 2006, 02:58:41 pm
We'll probably need a thread for this sometime or other, and after a day of exams it's about time I negated all that bad karma caused by my terrible handwriting. Poor markers won't know what means what. So yeah, I'll start this thread to make it all better.

I'm not sure exactly when they're going up, but until then is anybody planning on procuring any art from Herr Onstad? Has anybody bought any before? What sort of prices have they gone for before?
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: robot_god on June 05, 2006, 04:35:24 pm
I was only reading Achewood for the last two, but I wasn't on the board, then.  I think they went somewhere between $300-400 US.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: Formica on June 05, 2006, 10:30:20 pm
It's up. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7420777963)

First impression: Onstad's non-computer style is getting more defined. Phillipe is realized more distinctly and cleanly. I like it.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: Mite on June 05, 2006, 11:28:30 pm
I like that a lot. However, I'm cheap. I might someday buy a print of a strip, but I can't really imagine ever buying original artwork.

Judy - I too have very poor handwriting. Have you tried nice pens (felt tips, uniballs, etc)? I write like a small child with a ball point, but I see marked improvement with a quality pen.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: wombat on June 05, 2006, 11:45:29 pm
I am weirded out by how realistic Phillipe's ##### look.

I will regret for all eternity that I didn't bid on the painting of Roast Beef floating through the air in his nightshirt.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: theinevitable on June 06, 2006, 12:02:09 am
yeah, nice pens make your handwriting hell of nicer.

I have a fountain pen that I whip out sometimes (ie: since I got it 2 weeks ago) and it makes mine much more flowy.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: robot_god on June 06, 2006, 12:50:16 am
My handwriting gets worse every day.  It's because of school.  The phenomenon occurred, amount of medical knowledge is directly proportional to handwriting sloppiness.  That's probably a good thing because I have to get used to reading sloppy writing and not producing it.

My signature used to actually have letters in it and was consistant, but now it's just random lines and it looks completely different every time.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: side_show on June 06, 2006, 03:16:43 am
My writing is so illegible.  Actually, I don't write, I print.  I gave up cursive shortly after it was no longer mandatory in school.  But my printing is illlegible to anyone but me.  Also, since I sign numerous contracts almost everyday, my signature is fascinating - I've had several people comment on how it looks like and alien language or something.  It used to look normal, but it evolved into this series of reflex-based scribbles.  Now if I actually think while making my signature, it looks nothing like my actual signature.  I had to re-do my passport forms three times because I kept trying to hard. 

Also, I think the painting is shit.   Which is odd, because I love Phillipe.  But his jodhpurs don't match to him - he's basic and linear, and the jodhpurs have too much shading in comparison, especially in contrast with the simplistic/stylized background.  All my attention is drawn to the jodhpurs, in a bad way, when I really should be looking at the expression on Phillipe's face.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: AugustWest on June 06, 2006, 03:21:05 am
jodhpurs.  I love that word.  Jodhpurs, jodhpurs, jodhpurs.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: Doc on June 06, 2006, 04:10:56 am
The Jodhpurs (a word which has now officially lost all meaning to me thanks to you two) actually kind of make it for me, they give him a slight three dimensional look, and it's not that bad that attention is drawn to them, that's where the action is when you're dancing (or stamping as he may be, it's hard to tell).
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: wombat on June 06, 2006, 12:36:03 pm
All my attention is drawn to the jodhpurs, in a bad way, when I really should be looking at the expression on Phillipe's face.

Actually, now I am thinking that it is all of a piece: Philippe's expression is the joy of looking at his new trousers which he loves.  Or is it the shoes?
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: Drygioni on June 06, 2006, 03:17:50 pm
I love that painting. I cannot afford it.

Mite - I use Uniballs all the time, and as my dear History teacher put it 'it looks like a spider on crack'. I have tried every pen ever and it is still illegible to my own mother. Thank Byrne that I can type messages to you; people have gone insane trying to decipher my writing.

Has anyone here bid or is it good etiquette to keep bids secret? I have never bid.

EDIT: It's also interesting seeing what Onstad (unless someone has put it on eBay for him) bids on. Last purchase: a glorified dog bowl.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: theinevitable on June 06, 2006, 03:21:31 pm
do you have access to a scanner? I think we all might have to have a bad-handwriting-off.

but maybe we'd have to use the same kind of pen, write the same test sentence, do both a slow/neat version and a fast/normal version...
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: wombat on June 06, 2006, 04:04:47 pm
Last purchase: a glorified dog bowl.

Oh, that is a bad dog bowl that lets you not think about your poor dog even to feed it.  You used to love that dog, Mr. Onstad.

Also it must be like a torture device.  See that pug in one of the pictures?  That pug spent the whole day staring at that bowl, unable to move in case the next minute was the one when it popped open.  I am positive of this.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: Drygioni on June 06, 2006, 04:07:39 pm
Oh, that is a bad dog bowl that lets you not think about your poor dog even to feed it.  You used to love that dog, Mr. Onstad.

Also it must be like a torture device.  See that pug in one of the pictures?  That pug spent the whole day staring at that bowl, unable to move in case the next minute was the one when it popped open.  I am positive of this.

Did it yelp pitifully when the lid finally popped open? Yes, it did.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: theinevitable on June 06, 2006, 04:36:58 pm
my God does that sometimes.

and he gets fed at the same time every day.

by us.

he is adorable. I love him. he is my little guy.

he is still a puppy in stature and attitude, even though he is 5.

Edit:um, I meant Dog. Also, I capitalized it now.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: jough on June 06, 2006, 04:40:25 pm
FEED YOUR GOD
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: Drygioni on June 06, 2006, 04:50:40 pm
my god does that sometimes.

Please, don't correct this. It's wonderful.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: Drastic Action on June 06, 2006, 05:35:32 pm
He's also left a few interesting feedback himself:

He is in the dictionary under "perfect."

This guy, he is best customer of all time. A white light surrounds his account.

This guy paid so quickly that I was amazed. 800 verbal, 800 math.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: misterqueue on June 06, 2006, 05:41:04 pm
Reminds me of my favorite classic eBay feedbacker. (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedbackMemberLeft&items=0&page=1&memberid=andy46477)

Ahh.. back in the days when the Internet was still young and fresh and all shiny.  Kind of brings a tear to my eye.  No wait, that's pepper spray!
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: wombat on June 06, 2006, 05:46:47 pm
Lovely.  Mr Onstad is the kind of writer who never passes up an opportunity to hone his craft, no matter how small.

Also I am the kind of fan who never passes up the opportunity to push the cookbook, no matter how contrived.  I am making the excellent Toasted Nut Orzo for dinner tonight.  If you don't have the cookbook you ought to buy it, and I don't want to hear you whining about being a person who does not cook.  You can't afford the painting, sure, but surely you can save up enough pennies for the cookbook.  ENOUGH EXCUSES.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: theinevitable on June 06, 2006, 05:59:53 pm
I think I want Onstad to be my writer.
he could write everything which I said, every day.

I would probably scare people away, but I would feel good about myself for being so witty.

things left for onstad:

Excellent communication, secure packing, a real Phi Beta Kappa of a seller. (onstad had said the exact same thing about the buyer. ha.)

Blessed be boy*****1, for he delivers the goods promptly and with gusto. Amen.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: wombat on June 06, 2006, 06:21:46 pm
I think I want Onstad to be my writer.
he could write everything which I said, every day.


Oh man, what a brilliant idea.  I really need to hire a writer for my life because Dog knows I am not pleased with the direction the plot is taking on its dang own.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: jough on June 06, 2006, 08:23:08 pm
I read that as "I think I want Onstad to be my waiter."  Yeah.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: AugustWest on June 06, 2006, 08:26:24 pm
I read that as "I think I want Onstad to be my waiter."  Yeah.
Wow.  Onstad would be the worst waiter since Grover Monster.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: pmcd9 on June 06, 2006, 08:32:05 pm
I read that as "I think I want Onstad to be my waiter."  Yeah.

Got food on your mind?

~Paul
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: Mite on June 06, 2006, 10:15:30 pm
Wow.  Onstad would be the worst waiter since Grover Monster.
I very rarely actually smile or laugh at things I read on the internet, but you made me grin. Thanks.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: jough on June 06, 2006, 10:47:28 pm
Got food on your mind?

Dude, I'm eating better tasting stuff on my high-nutrition plan than I did when I was just eating whatever.  If I can keep up with exercise even when it is hot and humid out I'll be back in fightin' shape in no time.

Anyway, yeah, the painting is cute, but hundreds of dollars?  Mai non!
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: linnea on June 06, 2006, 11:33:20 pm
Dude, I'm eating better tasting stuff on my high-nutrition plan than I did when I was just eating whatever.  If I can keep up with exercise even when it is hot and humid out I'll be back in fightin' shape in no time.

Anyway, yeah, the painting is cute, but hundreds of dollars?  Mai non!


That is hella awesome! I am really glad to hear that.

Also, I really want the painting, but I ain't got six hundred dollars (or more) that will probably be required to win the painting.
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: robot_god on June 07, 2006, 06:37:57 pm
Onstad missed the ball for failing to title his auction, "THE BEST THING I GOT."
Title: Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
Post by: typo on June 20, 2006, 05:35:35 pm
Well it didn't go for 600.  I sure would like to have that interstellar rain one though.  If the owner reads this and might be up for releasing it, please get in touch.