The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on June 07, 2006, 06:23:28 am

Title: Albums of Today
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 07, 2006, 06:23:28 am
Recently I heard two great albums of 2006.   I was excited, as I haven't really found anything that good from this year.  Anyways, the albums are Gnarls Barkley- St. Elsewhere and Starlight Mints- Drowaton.  What are your favorites of 2006?
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Turbo Ninja on June 07, 2006, 02:21:21 pm
Band of hosss - Everything All The Time
Charlatans UK - Simpatico
Gomez - How We Operate
Soul Position - Things Go Better With RJ and Al
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

I also like the Arctic Monkeys record, but they've been on SNL so I don't feel a need to point them out.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Drygioni on June 07, 2006, 03:00:21 pm
Recently I heard two great albums of 2006.   I was excited, as I haven't really found anything that good from this year.  Anyways, the albums are Gnarls Barkley- St. Elsewhere and Starlight Mints- Drowaton.  What are your favorites of 2006?

I bought Gnarls Barkley and I wasn't too enamoured. I will give it further chances.

Hot Chip have just released a pretty good album.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Emmoh on June 07, 2006, 06:16:08 pm
I didn't want to like Gnarls Barkley as of my thinking it was a big pile of hype (In my defense, I did not know who was involved). Then I heard a 7 second snippet of "Crazy" by accident. Then I had to have it. Adore it.

Also swell: The new Paul Simon, "Surprise". Russian Circles "Enter".
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: theinevitable on June 07, 2006, 06:25:16 pm
I do not own a single CD which has been released this year.

Considering my age, I listen to an awful lot of 80's music (ie: the good stuff. not the crap stuff). Most of my CDs are more recent, though, as it is hard to find the bands I like around here.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Emmoh on June 07, 2006, 06:30:06 pm
A can, however, for your Roy Orbison listen.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: misterqueue on June 07, 2006, 06:39:43 pm
Fuck Albums of Today.  I'm rockin' Albums...  Of Tomorrrow!


That 26th Radiohead release is pretty good but it sounds a lot like the 15th, you know what I mean?
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Turbo Ninja on June 07, 2006, 07:03:39 pm
How did I forget to include Rabbit Fur Coat by Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins?

It's really good slow alt-country and I should be shunned for leaving it off my first list.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Hobot on June 07, 2006, 07:48:31 pm
Though I've only listened to it a couple times, I have so far greatly enjoyed Mogwai's Mr. Beast.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: linnea on June 07, 2006, 09:28:33 pm
Oh, sweet baby JESUS. I just bought Prince's new album last night. I am thoroughly disappointed, especially after my hopes were so raised after Musicology, which effing rocked. Anyone else heard it? I am not very good at describing music. There is a lot of cheezy 1980s effects to the vocals, and the whole thing just depressed me.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: jough on June 07, 2006, 09:33:14 pm
I have it, but I actually haven't listened to it yet.

He did a song on SNL that I thought rocked the cock, but I don't know the name of it.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: linnea on June 07, 2006, 09:44:57 pm
Whoa! My sister saw Prince on SNL and said that he looked "tired, really skinny, and old. It was just sad." What did you think? She was not impressed by his performance on SNL. However, I adore Prince, so I think I might've enjoyed his performance. ALSO, Neighborhoodies has an AWESOME Prince-head-option (http://neighborhoodies.com/catalog/images/info_charts/graphic_chart.htm) that you can get on any item of clothing that they make. I am so tempted to get one.

Oh man, speaking of other albums. Has anyone heard Sia's "Color the Small One"? Apparently it was released like five million years ago in Britain, but it just got released here. I heard it the other night on my favorite radio station (http://www.kcuvradio.com/) and initially thought it was Tori. I emailed the station and found out that it was not Tori. Then I found a hilariously snarky review of Sia (http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2BCHRB9XXMTJQ/ref=cm_cr_auth/102-1177718-5796959?%5Fencoding=UTF8) on Amazon.com by a peturbed Tori fan. Good times.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: jough on June 07, 2006, 09:50:44 pm
Man, he was on FIRE for the first performance.  He did some serious rocking out.

And of course he looked skinny.  He's Prince!
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: FlipConstantine on June 08, 2006, 01:11:57 am
I also enjoyed St. Elsewhere, I didn't think I would, because I'm a hipster snob and anything that has any connection to adult swim normally makes me want to puke, but that shit is pretty sweet.  Nogatco Rd is another favorite that came out this year, not quite on the level of Dr. Octagon or Black Elvis, but an awesome Kool Keith album, and just further proof that he's totally off his nut.  And despite what anyone may say, I really enjoyed At War With The Mystics.  And I think that's all the albums i've bought so far this year, looking alright so far.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 08, 2006, 02:06:04 am
Yea, I forgot about the Life Pursuit, I really liked that too.  My roommate said the new Radiohead was good, but I am probably just going to wait for it.  Sonic Youth also has a record out soon (maybe already?) that should be good.



Edit: Sonic Youth- Rather Ripped comes out next tuesday. 
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: jough on June 08, 2006, 04:03:19 am
The new Radiohead won't be out for a while.  The leaked thing is a fake.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 08, 2006, 05:22:16 am
The new Radiohead won't be out for a while.  The leaked thing is a fake.

Yea, I researched that after I said it, couldn't find anything, and then he said he just had the new songs on a live bootleg.  It is coming out next year I guess.  He still said they were way better than he expected and he is a pretty tasteful dude when it comes to albums.  Plus, because of this I found out about the new Thom York album and got the leak from him.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: jough on June 08, 2006, 05:28:45 am
Yeah, I have a copy of the Thom Yorke solo album leak, but the quality wasn't so good so I'm just going to wait until retail.  I've heard enough to know I'm not excited about it, but still, I'll pick it up when it comes out.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 08, 2006, 06:28:11 am
Sorry, but did you mean the Radiohead or the Thom Yorke?
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: jough on June 08, 2006, 12:14:50 pm
Sorry - Yorke.  The only new Radiohead I've heard is the "new" songs performed live.  The one they're calling "Nude" now used to be called "Big Ideas" and it was written around the "Pablo Honey" era.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Hobot on June 08, 2006, 02:06:09 pm
I am excited because Green Plastic (http://www.greenplastic.com/) reported that the upcoming Radiohead album will be even creepier than OK Computer.  Oh, and I can't be bothered to find the story itself.  Sorry 'bout that.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Emmoh on June 08, 2006, 02:53:18 pm
The Red Hot Chili Peppers sure do like singing about California. I have not liked what I've heard.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: jough on June 08, 2006, 03:12:53 pm
Yeah, the new RHCP album is ass.

I'm always excited by the prospect of a new Radiohead album, and while I thought HTTT was great, I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the new one so much.  I keep hearing "quieter, more electronic, more syncopated" and wonder when they'll finally put out their raver album and just get it out of their system.

They toyed with the dance dance revolution beats on Kid A and Amnesiac (Kid A 2: Electric Boogaloo) then kinda dropped that on Hail to the Thief. 

Of course, OK Computer was their best album.  You push "avant garde" too far and you just get "annoying indulgence."  They need a better producer, someone who is going to slap Thom and say "Listen you prat, no one wants to hear a 20 minute song with you tapping one key on the keyboard."  I think Goodrich was good for them - but now they're self-producing - which does not instill me with a good deal of confidence.

But whatever.  They haven't made a bad album yet, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before passing judgment. 
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2006, 04:20:57 pm
my uncle (the same one who saw The Clash and The Beat and The Specials) had a friend who worked for sony. this friend used to make copies of demo tapes to listen to in the car.

one of the tapes was radiohead.

my uncle recalls listening to it, and thinking it was way too wierd.

and then falling in love with it.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: pmcd9 on June 08, 2006, 06:01:55 pm
Also swell: The new Paul Simon, "Surprise".

I picked that one up this past weekend along with 10,000 days, but I haven't listened to it yet.  Did Fox Confessor come out this year?  That may be the only new one i've heard this year.

~Paul
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: starlight on June 08, 2006, 11:20:04 pm
Did Fox Confessor come out this year?  That may be the only new one i've heard this year.

~Paul

Yep, it came out around early March.

I think the best I've heard so far this year was the new Liars, Howling Bells, Hot Chip, Band of hosss, Neko Case, and Machinefabriek.
The Thom Yorke solo disappointed me a bit.. I'm just so tired of the weird electro stuff.. go back to guitars and rockin' damnit.
Recently I downloaded James Figurine (Postal Service / Dntel related) and that's growing on me, so it may make my end list.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Limmo on June 09, 2006, 10:45:32 pm
I'm enjoying Pink (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F1HGVA/sr=8-1/qid=1149893034/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8093833-7296020?%5Fencoding=UTF8), the new album by everyone's favorite Japanese stoner-three-piece Boris (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxZEK-CEqRA&search=boris%20japan).  But not as much as their last album, Akuma No Uta (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XMKYO/sr=8-3/qid=1149893034/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-8093833-7296020?%5Fencoding=UTF8). 
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Emmoh on June 09, 2006, 11:05:29 pm
Because I am dumb I forgot to mention the new one from Mission of Burma, "Obliterati".

Pretty much sounds like any other MoB album, which makes it an immediate candidate for a top of the year list for me.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: theinevitable on June 10, 2006, 05:17:43 am
I love mission of burma. so much.

I am officially pretentious (if I wasn't before) because I got their single-subscription-series. I now have a pile of engraved MoB 12 inch singles. And matching cds.

listening to singles is a pain unless I am in the mood. I am sorry. I need to buy the album.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Drygioni on June 10, 2006, 10:40:42 pm
I'm pleasantly surprised by the Hot Chip album. Not sure if they're heard of over there or not.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: starlight on June 11, 2006, 04:09:20 am
I'm pleasantly surprised by the Hot Chip album. Not sure if they're heard of over there or not.

Well, I know of them, but only 'cause of a london guy I know talking about them in '04.  I think everything they've done is brilliant :D
I just recently ordered the new album, but have had it on my HD for the past few months or so... also own a few of the singles.  I wish the bside on the one ('A Glue Too Thick') could be found online since I just have it on vinyl and don't have a way to transfer it to mp3.  bah.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: theinevitable on June 11, 2006, 04:40:09 am
I am ashamed/excited.

I have realized that if you combine all of the bands that I really like lately, the genre that you get is... you know.

Every time I tried to listen in the past, I hated it. I almost threw out the 7" which I bought.
Most people despite this genre.and perhaps rightly so. but recent listening has led me to warm to it. and I am enjoying it thorougly.
Of all of the styles I have listened to, this is the most similar to how I play guitar (at least, to how I want to play guitar.).

damn.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: slink on July 04, 2006, 04:42:06 pm
I'm not sure if any of my albums of 2006 are from 2006 or not. I think most of them were the end of last year...
Amadou and Mariam - Dimanche a Bamako is a contender though. The Cat Empire - Cities and L'Attirail - La Bonne Aventure also.
L'Attirail for having been in my collection for only a month or two have already topped my overall list on last.fm. OK, I stopped using the plugin for a long while, but even so...
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: Mite on July 04, 2006, 05:53:33 pm
Nice to have you back, slink! Nobody else lays down bands I've never even heard of as nonchalantly as you.
Title: Re: Albums of Today
Post by: slink on July 04, 2006, 07:24:48 pm
Nice to have you back, slink! Nobody else lays down bands I've never even heard of as nonchalantly as you.

Thanks Mite.
I try. To be fair, I could add Gogol Bordello to the list, everyone must have heard of them by now. I was trying to think of something that everyone really would know of, but alas. I'll be getting Live at Crystal Palace, th enew Cake album when it arrives though!
Oh, and will add Firewater who I like, as you can listen to their whole album online. http://www.firewater.tv/radio.html (http://www.firewater.tv/radio.html)