The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jough on June 07, 2006, 08:44:55 pm

Title: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 07, 2006, 08:44:55 pm
Hey kids!

I am pleased to unveil to all of you a new web site based on folks competing for what is The Saddest Thing.

http://saddestthing.com

I'm still tweaking and adding features, but I thought it was time to get the message out to those on the board here to give you all first dibs on playing with this thing, since of course the saddest thing is a common reference here.

So try it out, vote on stuff, sign up and post your own stuff (photos, text, or both) and feel free to tell your friends, or help a brother out with a link if you have a web site or blog.

Let me know what you think, of course any problems you have with it, and any suggestions for how it may be improved upon.

Thanks to the mods here for helping me test things.

http://saddestthing.com
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: Drygioni on June 07, 2006, 08:55:50 pm
This is great, but when I try to sign in it says my email is invalid. I got the confirmation email and everything!
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: misterqueue on June 07, 2006, 09:01:00 pm
Hey, some of us non-mods tested!  :P
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 07, 2006, 09:05:15 pm
Oops.

Damn you unusual email addresses.

Okay, I'm pretty sure it will validate all actual email addresses now.

Please let me know if it is still complaining at you.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 07, 2006, 09:06:48 pm
Oh yes, thank you to M Queue and Mlle Hobot as well.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: Drygioni on June 07, 2006, 09:11:55 pm
It still ain't recognising Judy, and I can't re-sign up under my gmail account as Jude because it went 'INVALID EMAIL - ABORT!'* and now thinks I have already signed that email up. I am probably ruining everything. Sorry Jough.

*I even love the error messages on this website. 'Not so fast, Slick!' Awesome.


Christ. Turns out I was putting 'Judy' into the sign-in email box. -sidles off-
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 07, 2006, 09:21:19 pm
You should be able to log in with the user name and email you originally signed up with.

EDIT: Ah, you have signed in.  Never mind me.

Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: linnea on June 07, 2006, 09:26:11 pm
Heh! I've already voted on everything. Time for me to find a photo to upload! Awesome website, joughy#####.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 07, 2006, 09:29:30 pm
Yeah, there are not many things yet, which is itself a sad thing, but so far only a dozen or so people have seen the thing, so, you know, give it time.

For those who have already added things, you should be able to edit your stuff and add tags to them now and such.  I know the tag form element was there when you uploaded your stuff, but because I wasn't actually adding the tags to the database, it um, just kind of threw out that info when you uploaded your thing.

That should not happen again.

Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: Lister on June 10, 2006, 11:15:28 am
I uploaded three sad things.  I hope they are goodbad.

Also, when you edit your tags, it says "uncheck tags to delete," but it is actually the checked tags that get deleted.

Also also, once you edit one sad thing, there is not an easy way to get back to my list of sad things again.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 10, 2006, 11:57:11 am
Thanks, Lister.  I will work on these things to make them suck less.

Yeah, check tags to delete.  Man, what the hell was I doing...?

After you've edited a tag I'll add more options, like to view the thing you just edited, re-edit it, or view your things again.

More stuff coming soon.  I'm working on more tag-related stuff, as well as adding comments to sad things.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 10, 2006, 11:58:31 am
Also: Lister, your submissions made me LOL more than any others so far.

Thank you for "getting" the site.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: theinevitable on June 10, 2006, 04:32:48 pm
Lister-- the thing that makes me the saddest about Starbucks, as per your post, is that they have copyrighted the word "Venti." Which means 20 (as in, oz. I assume.) in Italian. This is equivalent to a Mexican restaurant copywriting "grande."

I get mad every time I see the little (c)
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: Hobot on June 10, 2006, 04:47:14 pm
Judy, I am pleased to see that your incredibly tragic story about Italian Restaurant Sobbing Man is "winning."  Truly it is the Saddest Thing.  Congratulations to you, good sir.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: Drygioni on June 10, 2006, 04:52:56 pm
Judy, I am pleased to see that your incredibly tragic story about Italian Restaurant Sobbing Man is "winning."  Truly it is the Saddest Thing.  Congratulations to you, good sir.

Many thanks Miss Hobot. It's also the only thing I didn't steal from somewhere else, so that's good. I applaud all of you and your very good photography skills, that put me right in the heart of the sadness.

Also: Lister, your submissions made me LOL more than any others so far.

Thank you for "getting" the site.


I was also impressed at how well Lister 'got' the Saddest Thing, which I didn't understand at first fully.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: CortJstr on June 10, 2006, 06:26:49 pm
Lister-- the thing that makes me the saddest about Starbucks, as per your post, is that they have copyrighted the word "Venti." Which means 20 (as in, oz. I assume.) in Italian. This is equivalent to a Mexican restaurant copywriting "grande."

I get mad every time I see the little (c)

I got a mailer from State Farm yesterday where they put the little R after www.statefarm.com

How is this even necessary? Are they worried that other companies are going to use their URI which still points to the State Farm site? I can't even wrap my head around this.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: AugustWest on June 10, 2006, 08:04:01 pm
It's the got-damn lawyers.  They're behind this kind of BS.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 10, 2006, 10:48:37 pm
It's true.  The first thing we do is...
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: Drygioni on June 12, 2006, 09:46:23 pm
There seems to have been a recent explosion of votes which completely messes with the order of everything!

I like it.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: theinevitable on June 12, 2006, 10:17:30 pm
UM, is it OK if I put
Quote
I got a mailer from State Farm yesterday where they put the little R after www.statefarm.com
as a saddest thing?

Or you can. Either way.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 12, 2006, 10:57:56 pm
Yeah, dude, you can add that as a saddest thing.

Right now I am trying to make the random display of things MORE RANDOM.

I seem to keep seeing my Freedom Fries thing come up every other one.  WTF?

Anyway, today I will finish a few little things like putting convenient links in places where people can use them, and then tomorrow I finish up the commenting system so people can add comments about sad things.

P.S. to theinevitable - the reason that all of the people who have posted or voted on things at The Saddest Thing (http://saddestthing.com) is because the only people who have seen the site so far are TOUAMB members and my friend Chris (who also posted a few things).

SOON I will try to spread the word, although as I said before, feel free to tell your friends.  I would like to have at least 100 things in the site before it starts pulling traffic.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: theinevitable on June 13, 2006, 12:16:44 am
yeah, I was just trying to think of things. I'm sorry. I did not mean for it to be a Jibe.

I was just taking the piss.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: theinevitable on June 13, 2006, 07:52:00 pm
um, I think a cool feature would be if you could see a ranking of the least-sad things. Would that be worthwhile?
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 13, 2006, 09:13:51 pm
You just want to see your own things on the list!

Actually, to pop up to the top of the list things need XX number of votes.  That number is SECRET but I guess you can figure it out with SCIENCE.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: theinevitable on June 13, 2006, 11:02:42 pm
no! that isn't it at all!

I just mean that it seems like there is a potential for something to be negative-sad (ie: happy) since the ranking goes from happy to neutral to sad.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: Hobot on June 13, 2006, 11:18:45 pm
no! that isn't it at all!

"That is not what [he] meant at all;
That is not it, at all."
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 14, 2006, 03:08:30 am
Damn, baby, just when I'm feeling all big-brotherly toward you you gotta go and post a T.S. Eliot quote and make me think of you just downright lasciviously again.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: misterqueue on June 14, 2006, 03:15:31 am
....


Just sayin' is all.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: Hobot on June 14, 2006, 03:46:42 am
Damn, baby, just when I'm feeling all big-brotherly toward you you gotta go and post a T.S. Eliot quote and make me think of you just downright lasciviously again.

I've got the sexiest trifecta of interests: Star Wars, Kubrick films, and damn good poetry.  Who could resist?
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 14, 2006, 04:20:19 am
Don't forget "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 14, 2006, 04:21:57 am
Oh, speaking of The Saddest Thing, you can now add comments about each other's (or your own) Sad Things.

Manana I will make adding and browsing comments more pleasing.

Also, since I am up against the Cookie Limit as to limiting the same friggin' things from coming up time and time again, I will probably be just logging votes.  That will also mean that you will be able to change your vote after you've made it.

Yep.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: theinevitable on June 15, 2006, 05:33:57 am
so, when the same things come up again, do we vote on them again? or are the old votes preserved?
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 15, 2006, 06:00:09 am
so, when the same things come up again, do we vote on them again? or are the old votes preserved?

I have done them all and can't vote anymore, so I guess they are saved.


I just realized how much I am on here.  I believe it is time to tell my story.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 15, 2006, 01:32:17 pm
so, when the same things come up again, do we vote on them again? or are the old votes preserved?

Here's what I decided.  To save every vote from every user seems wasteful, and a few people have mentioned that even though it's just a silly humour site they would like their vote to be private.  Right now there is no user-identifiable data regarding how they voted.  All that gets saved are aggregate scores and vote counts.

You can vote again on an item if it gives you a vote box.  That is really no problem.

Today I'll finish the persistence of votes for registered users.  If you log in, the system will remember what you voted on from session to session so that you'll see only new stuff at first until you've voted on everything.

That way you don't have to keep getting random stuff you've already seen just to get to the new stuff that you haven't.

ALSO: The comment system is pretty much finished (I think) so barring any bugs or suggestions on how to make it work better from users, it's good to go.  You can leave comments for other people's things, as well as your own (mostly for reply to people's comments, but also if you want to clarify something or add extra info, like a DVD commentary track).

I think no social app is really social without a way for users to comment and interact with each other's stuff, so let me know if there's a way I can make the commenting better.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on June 23, 2006, 09:11:52 pm
New today!:

The site will let new users know if their user name is taken while they are still filling out the form, and also if you try to give something a title of a thing that is already taken it will (gently) let you know.*

Ain't modern technology keen?



* provided that you have a browser like IE5, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, etc. that is fairly recent.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2006, 01:53:20 am
Jough, your site has a nemesis. Here's some details (http://xkcd.com/date/) on BestThing.info
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on July 31, 2006, 04:07:54 am
Oh, man, that site is so weak compared to The Saddest Thing.

I should add something to BestThing - "Saddest Thing or Best Thing" and let people vote it down right on its own site.
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: iron_felix on April 03, 2007, 08:33:11 am
So... are people still using this?  I signed up for an account, but now whenever I try to log in it just spits this "Fatal error" gobbledygook at me.  Has the site fallen into disrepair, or did I just break the internet again?
Title: Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
Post by: jough on April 03, 2007, 11:57:15 am
Oops.  Yeah, when I upgraded the Wiki on Sunday I had to decouple the class autoloader from the redirect script since the new version of MediaWiki also used an autoloader and it wouldn't work if mine was trying to run.  Rather than move the Wiki to a different account or change its code I just swapped out some stuff with The Saddest Thing, but apparently I missed all of those little redirect pages, like the login/logout screen.

It should be good to go now.

Thanks for letting me know.