The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: nuero on June 09, 2006, 09:05:38 am

Title: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: nuero on June 09, 2006, 09:05:38 am
I liked this one. Guess it's not just another GOF, jerks.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06092006
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: pubdoggy on June 09, 2006, 09:25:23 am
"How long did you knead it for? A thousand minutes? A million?"

Top effing drawer
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: cellardoor on June 09, 2006, 09:41:10 am
There's something wrong with the layout of panel 3.
It vexes me so.
Quality strip though, especially mega-serious/angry Ray.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: DanSC on June 09, 2006, 09:52:23 am
I'm really surprised that Teodor would suffer such a culinary breakdown, even under stressful conditions. He is, after all, a veteran of the Risotto Wars.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: Lister on June 09, 2006, 10:09:10 am
I am curious to know what Vlad's bread looked like, and also why he was wearing a leotard.

I liked this strip a-ok.  I want to go make bread right now, except it is 3 AM and my oven sets off the smoke alarm when it is opened even though it is clean.

Also: new avatar.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: ryanpeq on June 09, 2006, 10:35:28 am
There's something wrong with the layout of panel 3.
It vexes me so.
Quality strip though, especially mega-serious/angry Ray.
pat is both in front of and behind lyle
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: dejavroom on June 09, 2006, 11:18:02 am
"A dude who can walk into any kitchen in the world and make bread is COMPLETELY RAW"

Couldn't agree more. I wasted my life acquiring what are basically the inanest set of personal assets ever.

Also the fact that they all came dressed in what they thought would be the most appropriate apparel for their idea of what a BadAss Game would be like (Lyle didn't change, though; Lyle is ALWAYS READY)...
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2006, 11:25:39 am
I am quite tickled.  I will say nothing about you messageboard posters of little faith.

Poor Teodor, his complete failure is hitting him hard.  Also, according to Google Onstad is not making up 'malloreddus.'  Education.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: jough on June 09, 2006, 12:04:13 pm
I'm really surprised that Teodor would suffer such a culinary breakdown, even under stressful conditions. He is, after all, a veteran of the Risotto Wars.

Look at the n00b, breaking out message board references from two years ago.  Nicely played young man.  Have some tiny cans of Dr Pepper.

Also: new avatar.

Since I associate you people with your avatars, you'll have to remind me who you are again.  The milkman guy, right?
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: CortJstr on June 09, 2006, 12:41:26 pm
I'm really surprised that Teodor would suffer such a culinary breakdown, even under stressful conditions. He is, after all, a veteran of the Risotto Wars.

Yeah but Teodor seems to go for overly fancy and expensive ingredients and methods. Just baking a simple loaf of white bread is now completely foreign to him. He probably blames the bleached flour which should have been organic bread flour.

In July's storyline we see Vlad join the cast of The Next Ultimate Fighter. Watch him try to punch Ken Shamrock so hard that his heart explodes.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: cellardoor on June 09, 2006, 12:49:16 pm
Panel 3 is like looking at a god-damned Escher painting.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: misterqueue on June 09, 2006, 12:54:44 pm
Oh Lyle, you look so very sad.

Mr. Bear at first looked as though he was dressed to be part of some barbershop quartet.  Then I realized it's just his apron over his suit.  (Hey it's early and I was up late last night.  I forgive me.)

I baked my own bread just last week.  Hell yeah I'm totally raw!
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: Hobot on June 09, 2006, 01:29:11 pm
Cornelius is totally from the streets.  Maybe even tha streetz.

This strip has Vlad, therefore I am appeased.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: Herr Currywurst on June 09, 2006, 01:43:06 pm
I'm really surprised that Teodor would suffer such a culinary breakdown, even under stressful conditions. He is, after all, a veteran of the Risotto Wars.

They didn't have any sugar to proof the yeast.  Teodor would try desperately to make it work, which is why he overkneaded.  Cornelius understood the limits of his raw materials and changed the rules to suit what he had. 

    Two monks were watching a flag flapping in the wind. One said to the other, "The flag is moving."
    The other replied, "The wind is moving."
    Huineng overheard this. He said, "Not the flag, not the wind; mind is moving."
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2006, 02:03:21 pm
They shouldn't need sugar to proof the yeast, but I think this points to Teodor's problem - without access to stone-ground wheat flour, special filtered spring water, yeast grown from an ancient traditional farmhouse strain, and pink sea salt, he's helpless.  The guy couldn't make a simple grilled cheese sandwich to save his life.  He has fallen down the slippery slope of Modern Foodieness and can't get up.  He needs an intervention in which he is kidnapped and fed frozen dinners and iceberg lettuce salads, after which he will be allowed to gradually work his way back to some kind of happy medium.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on June 09, 2006, 02:09:17 pm
Tomorrow we get a rant from Pat about being not provided with vegulon alternative ingredients.

~Paul
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: CortJstr on June 09, 2006, 02:16:37 pm
Tomorrow we get a rant from Pat about being not provided with vegulon alternative ingredients.

~Paul

fuck*ng gluten!




[it's reached the point where the word "fuck*ng" looks weird to me with an i]
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: AugustWest on June 09, 2006, 02:44:43 pm
They shouldn't need sugar to proof the yeast, but I think this points to Teodor's problem - without access to stone-ground wheat flour, special filtered spring water, yeast grown from an ancient traditional farmhouse strain, and pink sea salt, he's helpless.  The guy couldn't make a simple grilled cheese sandwich to save his life.  He has fallen down the slippery slope of Modern Foodieness and can't get up.  He needs an intervention in which he is kidnapped and fed frozen dinners and iceberg lettuce salads, after which he will be allowed to gradually work his way back to some kind of happy medium.

Preach it!  A tiny can for you.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2006, 04:38:32 pm
Also: new avatar.

Noooo!  I just noticed.  Noooo!  Bring back the milkman!
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: theinevitable on June 09, 2006, 05:15:07 pm
my goodness, I thoroughly enjoyed this strip.

I did a wierd giggle thing, and my mom said "daniel, are you crying? what's wrong?"
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 09, 2006, 05:34:33 pm
I am curious to know what Vlad's bread looked like, and also why he was wearing a leotard.


Everyone, including Cornelius, is wearing a wife-beater because that is perceived as badass.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: mrdna1 on June 09, 2006, 05:39:17 pm
Lyle's expression in panel 7 is so sad ... I don't know if I want to give him a hug or a gift certificate to a liquor store.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: Beatrice on June 09, 2006, 05:54:02 pm
Everyone, including Cornelius, is wearing a wife-beater because that is perceived as badass.

but lyle's has whiskey/sweat stains, which is badasser.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: ananke on June 09, 2006, 06:11:07 pm
Almost every single thing in this strip fills me with gut laughter.

Ray's menacing shout

"A dude who can walk into any kitchen in the world and make bread is COMPLETELY RAW!"

"Lyle your yeast didn't bloom dogg I mean this is a top-drawer failure by any measure in the book"

Ray's admonishing tone/pose

"How long did you knead it for? A thousand minutes? A million?"

"Alright not only did Cornelius buck the rules but he made a recipe that his dead first wife taught him before we were born" "That ishard. Cornelius, hands down."
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: pmcd9 on June 09, 2006, 06:33:54 pm
Mr. Bear at first looked as though he was dressed to be part of some barbershop quartet.  Then I realized it's just his apron over his suit.  (Hey it's early and I was up late last night.  I forgive me.)

Oh no it's not, he's got a wifebeater over his smoking jacket.  He's bucking the rules with more than just his recipe it seems.  The Dude is RAW!!!

~Paul
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: nuero on June 09, 2006, 08:43:58 pm
Haha so we've made a number of posts about how fucked-up panel 3 looks

Pay attention to the order, and then look at the order of them in panel 1! Fuck-ups abound!
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: jough on June 09, 2006, 09:02:42 pm
The dude's got babies throwing pasta all over the place, man.  He can't be concerned with character order or logistics of three dimentions!

Maybe they all had a Chinese Fire Drill between panels one and three.  YOU DON'T KNOW.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: linnea on June 09, 2006, 09:39:44 pm
I'm really surprised that Teodor would suffer such a culinary breakdown, even under stressful conditions. He is, after all, a veteran of the Risotto Wars.

Those of you that have the Achewood Cookbook will know from Pat's instructions that baking is like science. You can't just run around acting all crazy. You have to follow the steps precisely, or else it'll all go to hell.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2006, 09:48:15 pm
Those of you that have the Achewood Cookbook will know from Pat's instructions that baking is like science. You can't just run around acting all crazy. You have to follow the steps precisely, or else it'll all go to hell.

And we all know what we need more of.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: smick on June 09, 2006, 09:52:24 pm
And we all know what we need more of.

As I lay in bed last night, preparing for sleep, I was telling my special ladyfriend about how much I'm enjoying the Chemistry course that I'm currently working on.   

She responded to me, "Do you know what you're getting more of?"
Not understanding the question I responded, "What?"

"Science."

This is why I love her.  She doesn't even read Achewood, and there she was.  She knew that I had been requesting and wearing a shirt that calls for more Science, and she UNDERSTOOD.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: theinevitable on June 09, 2006, 10:30:36 pm
oh my. Sir, that is admirable. Tell this woman that she is highly admirable according to your internet-message-board-friends.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: Doc on June 09, 2006, 10:54:04 pm
Yeah anyone who doesn't run immediately after you say 'So I was talking about what you said in bed the other night to some people online and they think you're cool.' is definitely a keeper.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: MattFish on June 09, 2006, 10:59:23 pm
Pat is clearly holding Lyle up in the air by the nape of the neck, possibly due to his abs (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06232004). There. It is all explained.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: Fooker on June 11, 2006, 02:03:53 am
I just want to know what Pat baked.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: oball on June 11, 2006, 05:12:06 am
Pat is clearly holding Lyle up in the air by the nape of the neck, possibly due to his abs (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06232004). There. It is all explained.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about that strip.  I laughed so hard when I saw it just then that I inhaled a Dorito shard and almost choked to death.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: theinevitable on June 12, 2006, 06:01:29 pm
Smick has reminded me of something. I will post this, but mostly for Judy I guess. Anyone over the age of Me would know this:

If you are on a date with a girl (or, I suppose, a boy), do not start talking about comics. She is a nice girl. She will pretend to be interested. And you'll try to change the subject, but the conversation will go on and on and on. And eventually you'll get to Achewood. And your eyes will glaze over. She will recoil in terror. So you'll try to explain it. It will get worse, and worse, and worse.

Things worked out in the end, though.

alternative explanation: she wasn't pretending, she was actually interested in comics. Between that and liking Star Wars with a deep passion, I think we may have a winner here.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: jough on June 12, 2006, 11:13:22 pm
If she likes you then you can pretty much talk about whatever you want, although keep in mind that sometimes you will want to set a mood and that certain conversation topics are mood killers.

Having said that, a good way to not kill the mood by saying the wrong thing is to not talk about yourself so much.  Ask her questions, get her talking, and you won't have to worry if you're saying the wrong thing, because you won't really be saying anything but follow-up questions to things that she's said.

Of course, if you do this to extremes she'll smack you and tell you to stop asking her questions.

It's a delicate balance.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 12, 2006, 11:24:23 pm
If she likes you then you can pretty much talk about whatever you want, although keep in mind that sometimes you will want to set a mood and that certain conversation topics are mood killers.

Having said that, a good way to not kill the mood by saying the wrong thing is to not talk about yourself so much.  Ask her questions, get her talking, and you won't have to worry if you're saying the wrong thing, because you won't really be saying anything but follow-up questions to things that she's said.

Of course, if you do this to extremes she'll smack you and tell you to stop asking her questions.

It's a delicate balance.


Or, just e-mail her a picture of your erect c*ck. It seems to work on Craigs List for some people.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: smick on June 12, 2006, 11:31:12 pm
Or, just e-mail her a picture of your erect c*ck. It seems to work on Craigs List for some people.

Seriously.   And here I was thinking I just had a hutch I wanted someone to haul off.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: misterqueue on June 12, 2006, 11:53:30 pm
Or, just e-mail her a picture of your erect c*ck. It seems to work on Craigs List for some people.

This may also work if you're trying to get a restraining order.  Ahh.. the first one is always so precious.  After that they become rather routine.  Now if you excuse me I have some more pictures to take.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: Mite on June 12, 2006, 11:58:00 pm
If she likes you then you can pretty much talk about whatever you want...

Seriously. One of the first conversations I can remember with the man who is now my husband was just him explaining the plots behind all the games in the Myst franchise for about 45 minutes. He was kinda nervous. And adorable.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: theinevitable on June 13, 2006, 12:23:42 am
yeah, damn.
we mostly talk about movies and art and other things that we both like.

it was just terrifying for me, because she kept asking questions, and I was completely aware that it was The Most Mood Killer Topic Of All.

the first time we went out, they could have taken a picture and titled it "This Is Twee Pop." Her all wearing a cardigan and chuck taylors, all no-eye-contact, all shuffling feet, hands in pockets, and me awkwardly bobbing my head in beat with the music.

it was pretty great.

also: sending her a picture of my erect c*ck would be a bad move. Most girls are afraid of handling something that big. *rimshot*
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2
Post by: AugustWest on June 13, 2006, 02:04:45 am

also: sending her a picture of my erect c*ck would be a bad move. Most girls are afraid of handling something that big. aren't into electron microscopy *rimshot*

Fixed that for you.
Title: Re: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 13, 2006, 05:31:54 pm

also: sending her a picture of my erect c*ck would be a bad move. Most girls have to enlarge the picture to six feet by six feet to see it and they are afraid of handling something that big. *rimshotjob*

I was gonna fix it like this