The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: jough on June 18, 2006, 05:03:04 pm

Title: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: jough on June 18, 2006, 05:03:04 pm
I just wanted to wish a Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there, especially to the NEW dads.

I'm fairly sure that I'm not a father, but you never know.

Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: pmcd9 on June 18, 2006, 05:27:05 pm
I'd like to wish a happy fathers day to all of you non dads out there.  Y'all have a great day.

~Paul
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: theinevitable on June 18, 2006, 05:44:58 pm
happy fathers day, everyone!
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: Drygioni on June 18, 2006, 05:56:50 pm
Happy Father's Day, dads among us! Bless you all.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: wombat on June 18, 2006, 07:32:07 pm
Oh!  That's why no one's posting today.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: theinevitable on June 18, 2006, 07:40:10 pm
is that the excuse?

what asses. I demand a Message-Board-Friend Day, or I'm boycotting this so-called "Father's Day."


sounds like a commie idea to me, anyway. Why in hell should I bond with my father on a day designated by the government?
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: Mite on June 18, 2006, 08:32:01 pm
Happy Father's Day! Hug those kids while you got 'em!
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: V-Adore on June 18, 2006, 09:43:39 pm
Happy Father's Day to the dads out there. Hope you're getting some lovely new ties and some quality time with the wee ones in.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 19, 2006, 02:04:44 am
Thanks everybody.  I got:

It was a very good day.

*What?!  Yeah, we like taking Lizzie del Vaca to the $5-and-below store and turning her loose to buy gifts, just give her free rein and see what crazy crap she picks out for us.  On this occasion, she chose for me a small llama-shaped piņata, and a 99-cent bag of Lay's cheddar & sour cream chips (which she later wanted to know when she could eat them).
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: Drygioni on June 19, 2006, 10:48:28 am
a 99-cent bag of Lay's cheddar & sour cream chips

Why are these crisps only called Walkers in England? In France, Lays. Belgium, Lays. USA, Lays. Britain, Walkers!
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: wombat on June 19, 2006, 11:41:03 am
a small llama-shaped piņata

I think this is an excellent gift for the price.  You are raising a child of impeccable taste.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: theinevitable on June 19, 2006, 11:46:37 am
GOOBLE-GOBBLE, GOOBLE-GOBBLE, WE ACCEPT HER, WE ACCEPT HER, ONE OF US, ONE OF US
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: side_show on June 19, 2006, 05:39:34 pm
Why are these crisps only called Walkers in England? In France, Lays. Belgium, Lays. USA, Lays. Britain, Walkers!

I'd imagine the name Lays is copyrighted in England for some other product. 

This was the case with the crappy band Bush (you know the band with the guy who's married to Gwen Stephani?) in Canada they had to release their album under the name Bush X because there was another band named Bush that had the rights to the name in Canada.  Then the original Canadian Bush sold the rights to Bush X, which became Bush.  You can still find copies of the first album here with the name is Bush X on them.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: idiomsavant on June 19, 2006, 08:18:01 pm
Much like the Paul Collins Beat/English Beat imbroglio of the early nineteen-eighties.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: pmcd9 on June 19, 2006, 08:27:39 pm
Why are these crisps only called Walkers in England? In France, Lays. Belgium, Lays. USA, Lays. Britain, Walkers!

My guess is Frito owns Walkers and chooses to use the Walkers brand because it is more popular than Frito.

~Paul
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: CortJstr on June 19, 2006, 08:54:11 pm
My guess is Frito owns Walkers and chooses to use the Walkers brand because it is more popular than Frito.

~Paul

Kind of like the Hellman's/Best Foods issue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestfoods).
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: side_show on June 20, 2006, 03:11:10 pm
Their  company website  (http://walkers.corpex.com/cr15p5/welcome.asp) makes reference to a partnership with PepsiCo, and under products lists Doritos.  I'd assume that Walkers was originally a stand alone company that was absorbed by PepsiCo, and that they kept the established line of products on the shelf for brand recognition purposes.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: Lister on June 20, 2006, 09:08:36 pm
Thanks everybody.  I got:
  • To go to the baseball game, where the Nationals beat the Yankees on a walk-off home run by Ryan Zimmerman WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just wanted to add that I read this then watched my TiVo'd sports news from that day.  When the highlights of this game came on I started searching the stands for that fuzzy red thing in your profile before I realized that it isn't you and if it was you probably wouldn't be wearing it at the game.

Sometimes reality > me.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: theinevitable on June 20, 2006, 09:11:36 pm
yeah, I realized the other day that I imagine Judy as exactly Iggy Pop.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: smick on June 20, 2006, 09:30:25 pm
Why are these crisps only called Walkers in England? In France, Lays. Belgium, Lays. USA, Lays. Britain, Walkers!

Because while the English have a "Make-Do" attitude, the rest of the world is lazy.  We can't even be bothered to type "chips".  At some point, someone typoed "chips" an it just kinda stuff.

This is exemplified by the brand name, walking vs. laying.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: Drygioni on June 20, 2006, 10:53:15 pm
Because while the English have a "Make-Do" attitude, the rest of the world is lazy.  We can't even be bothered to type "chips".  At some point, someone typoed "chips" an it just kinda stuff.

This is exemplified by the brand name, walking vs. laying.

Yes, but this does not explain it's name as 'Lays' in Europe. In Europe people are dang energetic, getting up early for their croissants and early morning snail hunting.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: smick on June 21, 2006, 03:26:38 pm
Yes, but this does not explain it's name as 'Lays' in Europe. In Europe people are dang energetic, getting up early for their croissants and early morning snail hunting.

Oh, different verb meaning in Europe.   You'll understand when you're older.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2006, 03:50:55 pm
early morning snail hunting.

Is that what you kids are calling it now?
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 21, 2006, 05:55:32 pm
Is that what you kids are calling it now?

I thought he meant the croissants.


The roughest part about 'early morning snail hunting' (wink wink nudge nudge say no more) is


actually, inadvertently finding one.
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: side_show on June 22, 2006, 02:37:02 pm
Ohhh!
Title: Re: Happy Father's Day!
Post by: Tangle on June 26, 2006, 08:17:33 pm
Even though in my neck of the woods we don't celebrate Father's Day in June, but instead exactly 6 months from Mother's Day (ie. in November), I will take this opportunity (albeit a week late) to celebrate my very first Father's Day.

So, thank you everyone!  :)

...and, a belated CONGRATULATIONS to all you other pops out there!