The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: nuero on June 19, 2006, 08:37:47 am

Title: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: nuero on June 19, 2006, 08:37:47 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06192006

Not too hot on this strip.

Make a line for those of you unhappy with the title.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: bonaparte on June 19, 2006, 08:58:52 am
I'm wondering a few things here.

Firstly, how does a dog sense that a ***** is afraid of him.
Secondly, in the fourth panel, is anyone else slightly disconcerted by Magnus's huge sac?

Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: Doc on June 19, 2006, 09:01:17 am
Come on, what's not to like? If nothing else Pat's terror is worth a chuckle, have we ever even see Pat afraid before? I think we only ever had it referenced in relation to the duck that Ray ate with steak fries.
Also, you can make out Pat's bizzarely muscled physique as he shies away from the angry dog.

I do kind of hope this wraps up soon though, Cornelius is winning a little *too* easily for this to keep my interest much longer.
Also: We have another of Onstad's wonderfully juxtaposed real-looking drawings in Magnus, complete with tastefully obscured sack.
Also: Look at Beef furiously drink that cup of coffee.

Bonaparte: His fear gauge of course.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 19, 2006, 09:16:56 am
I want to like it and think it is funny, but if someone else could win once in a while that would make this thing alot better.

Also, the work on it in your driveway consideration makes the last strip more enjoyable.  I thought that was pretty classic.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: wombat on June 19, 2006, 09:26:03 am

Secondly, in the fourth panel, is anyone else slightly disconcerted by Magnus's huge sac?


Not till you pointed it out, thanks a lot.

Cornelius winning twice would be repetition, but Cornelius winning for the third time, as he does here, is, as we have discussed elsewhere, (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2900.msg68485.html#msg68485) a recurring theme.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 19, 2006, 10:16:33 am
Yea, but it is a recurring theme that makes the strips lame and predictable.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: misterqueue on June 19, 2006, 10:45:22 am
I agree on Corny winning EVERY TIME.  It's like.. man, no one wants a shutout.  And don't give me none of that "But Lyle got the last answer right too!"  That is basically a cop-out.

If a dog could bring me coffee, I just might think about having one.  This seems like a very useful thing.

Yes this is a terrible topic title, but I am not so heavily invested in this strip so whatever floats the proverbial boat.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: theinevitable on June 19, 2006, 11:37:34 am
dude cornelius owns, stfu.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: CortJstr on June 19, 2006, 12:56:56 pm
If a dog could bring me coffee, I just might think about having one.  This seems like a very useful thing.

He didn't so much bring coffee as he nudged a cup that was already sitting in front of him.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: misterqueue on June 19, 2006, 01:21:50 pm
He didn't so much bring coffee as he nudged a cup that was already sitting in front of him.

Well pffft... even an infant can do that if properly trained/shock collared.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: mrdna1 on June 19, 2006, 01:23:43 pm
I think it works because Cornelius is becoming a badass for even more absurd reasons. However, I do agree that there's maybe one more challenge left (if that) before this storyline starts to get tedious.

Making the pasta instead of the bread? Okay, so he's pretty creative.
Holding an overwhelmingly civil conversation with a convict? Yeah, Cornelius is pretty damn classy.
Picking "Eliminator" as his car of choice? Well, there weren't any overwhelmingly British sports cars in the list.
Being offered coffee by a dog who wants to rip the throat out of everyone else? Yup, looks like we've achieved proper Achewood levels of weirdness.

And better titles? "Yes, yes! He's offering him that cup of coffee!" would've been my choice.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: cellardoor on June 19, 2006, 01:34:57 pm
Is Liebot facing the other way in panel ten?
That is ambiguous.
Also, Beef drinks the coffee at the start and leaves the coffee next to the cage.
Not that this means anything but it at least explains where Magnus got the coffee from.
Awrrr?
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: Fooker on June 19, 2006, 01:46:24 pm
I would have used the "Go away before you get the whole pack killed or I'll kill you myself" title.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: theinevitable on June 19, 2006, 01:48:55 pm
wait, so, why the hell did Cornelius pick the ZZ top car? That is not him at all.

also: I have this effect on (some) dogs. My dog growls at and attempts to bite my dad (who is 6'4" and... big) if he comes near his food. If I enter the room while he has food, he retreats to his bed and watches me sadly. "oh dang why do you got to be the alpha now I don't get no ladies nor food" is what his eyes say. it is adorable. especially the look of gratitude on his face when I refrain from eating his dog-kibble.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: wombat on June 19, 2006, 02:24:35 pm
wait, so, why the hell did Cornelius pick the ZZ top car? That is not him at all.


Isn't it because he knows that it is the right answer?
Title: I hate to be different
Post by: revdj on June 19, 2006, 02:44:18 pm
I am loving the hell out of this sequence.  "Nobody wants a shutout?"  Hell, I want a shut out!  When was the last time that Cornelius got an extended story line?  Ummmm... Hmmmm.... 

No, this isn't the most complex story we've ever seen.  It is a simple series of "Cornelius is a badass" jokes along with pictures of Roast Beef drinking coffee and handing out number two pencils in a badassed manner.  So sit back, relax, and enjoy it.  Go Cornelius!
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: EgoSumNoah on June 19, 2006, 03:29:09 pm
I would enjoy a little tension, mystery and excitement.The B.A.G. would be far more enjoyable if it was actually a contest. Also, I wouldn't have minded a whole strip devoted to more questions from the personality test.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: cyclopticgaze on June 19, 2006, 04:18:41 pm
The huge sac in panel 4 is, of course, a requirement.  After all, he's Magnus Intactus, not Magnus Castratus (which would be oxymoronic anyway). 

This strip gave me a good belly laugh. 
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: mkilly on June 19, 2006, 04:40:56 pm
I for one love that Cornelius Bear is being proven a badass! For a while there on Achewood it was THE RAY SHOW STARRING RAY featuring Roast Beef with guest appearances by Teodor &c., so it's nice to see Mr. Bear, who rules, getting some credit.

In re why Cornelius chose the ZZ Top `33 Ford Eliminator, he naturally wouldn't have chosen the L'Oreal car nor the Weinermobile. Not to be results-oriented, but why wouldn't he have chosen the Audi? Maybe he thinks Le Mans has lost its way and it's glitz over substance now. Maybe he first got lucky in a `33 Eliminator. Maybe he first got lucky while ZZ Top was playing on a stereo.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: Hobot on June 19, 2006, 04:57:02 pm
Is Liebot facing the other way in panel ten?
That is ambiguous.

No, because Liebot is not there at all. 

I guess the dog noise in the last panel was cute.  Otherwise, I give a resounding "Meh" to this strip.

I am not mentioning the 'sack because it haunts me.  It will haunt me for the rest of my days.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: otter on June 19, 2006, 05:08:47 pm
Maybe it's because ZZ Top had awesome beards, and I think if any two Achewood characters were to grow a beard it would be Cornelius and Lyle.  Teodor is way too much of a pretty boy to grow any facial hair at all, and Vlad gets all of his powers from his waxed mustache.  Meanwhile, Pat probably shaves several times a day so as not to look like a hippie person.  But I betcha Cornelius is dignified enough and Lyle is crazy enough to grow a truly sophisticated/bitchin' beard (respectively).
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: Lister on June 19, 2006, 05:28:38 pm
This strip is a delight.  I love that Roast Beef is continuing his furious nature (drinking the HELL out of that coffee), I love Pat's primal-fear-induced contortions, and I especially love the explanation panel with the 60's font and the addition of the "info ticker" at the bottom.  It is modern and anacrhonistic all at once.

Strip winner: Pat's shocked expression in panel 5.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: Noah on June 19, 2006, 05:42:44 pm
why was the question numbered "1." on that test if it was the only one ?

i guess that seems like something ray might do though
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: V-Adore on June 19, 2006, 06:36:45 pm
I guess I'd like to see it a little more mixed-up. I mean, I think we all knew that Cornelius was really the biggest badass all along, so this is coming as no surprise. Why not allow Vlad to get his tough guy on? Why not some Sex Funeral action from Lyle? C'mon, get another joke in there!

Also: speculation on how the hell Ray and Beef originally got Magnus Intactus in there? Neither of them exactly strikes me as the appropriate level of badass for this.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: smick on June 19, 2006, 08:20:12 pm
Also: speculation on how the hell Ray and Beef originally got Magnus Intactus in there? Neither of them exactly strikes me as the appropriate level of badass for this.

I had assumed Beef would have figured out a way.  I mean, he knows that Ray fuges.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: nDed on June 19, 2006, 08:34:10 pm
No, because Liebot is not there at all.
Looks more like Vlad without his leotard and aviators.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/nDed03/comic.gif)
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: wombat on June 19, 2006, 08:41:11 pm

Also: speculation on how the hell Ray and Beef originally got Magnus Intactus in there? Neither of them exactly strikes me as the appropriate level of badass for this.

I am assuming that M. I. is a rental, and comes in the box.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: Hobot on June 19, 2006, 08:41:50 pm
Looks more like Vlad without his leotard and aviators.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/nDed03/comic.gif)

Ooh, well, look at Brigadier General McFancy.gif!  What your Photoshop (or whatever) skills pointed out with neon lights and rescue flares, my wry phrasing left to the imagination.

I am not really upset, nDed.  I am a nice girl.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: nDed on June 19, 2006, 09:05:13 pm
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/nDed03/ohno.gif)
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: Drygioni on June 19, 2006, 09:08:29 pm
I am not really upset, nDed.  I am a nice girl.

That's what she says, but look at my dear brother's John Thompson. What John Thompson, you ask? EXACTLY.

Moving on, then. I am also miffed by the ease with which Cornelius slaughters the competition. I mean, obviously he's the winner. But we don't want him to be the proverbial Argentina, here.

Also miffing: Lyle is not rising up to previous form! Terrible.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/nDed03/ohno.gif)

Pointing out the errors of Onstad's work is an excellent way of using such an accessory. Keep it up! (Also, nice handwriting)
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: jough on June 19, 2006, 09:10:06 pm
Man, I just hope handwriten image posts don't become a "thing."
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: wombat on June 19, 2006, 09:16:00 pm
You kids get that tablet off my LAWN.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: misterqueue on June 19, 2006, 09:18:14 pm
You kids get that tablet off my LAWN.

Is there a bone in it?
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: Hobot on June 19, 2006, 10:24:33 pm
I knew the Tiny Cans still served a purpose!  I will be bestowing one upon nDed (whom I hereby and heretofore christen THE UNDISPUTED WINNER, with my blessing) every hour for as long as my memory permits.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: mkilly on June 20, 2006, 03:52:27 am
Hmm, considering Bear was a children's book author, you'd think he'd be more sensitive in dealing with Philippe. I wonder if Philippe's read his books. Especially the one about the girlfriend who could only complain.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 20, 2006, 03:55:26 am
Hmm, considering Bear was a children's book author, you'd think he'd be more sensitive in dealing with Philippe. I wonder if Philippe's read his books. Especially the one about the girlfriend who could only complain.

What?
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: mrdna1 on June 20, 2006, 03:55:58 am
Hmm, considering Bear was a children's book author, you'd think he'd be more sensitive in dealing with Philippe. I wonder if Philippe's read his books. Especially the one about the girlfriend who could only complain.
However, on multiple (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04262004) occasions (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05122005) it's been shown that Mr. Bear has written romance pulps ... he might just have a certain way with his pen that appeals to all, and uses that talent to pay the bills.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 20, 2006, 04:06:17 am
However, on multiple (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04262004) occasions (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05122005) it's been shown that Mr. Bear has written romance pulps ... he might just have a certain way with his pen that appeals to all, and uses that talent to pay the bills.

That is true, but were the fuck did this come from?  Has Philippe been in a strip since he was lost?
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: mrdna1 on June 20, 2006, 05:28:42 am
That is true, but were the fuck did this come from?  Has Philippe been in a strip since he was lost?
It's from tomorrow's strip (20 June 2006).

not really, but my explanation about how Cornelius, Philippe, and the Badass games could be tied together has been lost to insomnia and this is the best I can do right now.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 20, 2006, 05:35:21 am
I am totally freaking out.  I'll just wait until I see said strip.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: jough on June 20, 2006, 02:29:43 pm
There was a strip posted for about an hour.  I guess he wasn't happy with it and pulled it for tinkering until tomorrow.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: wombat on June 20, 2006, 02:38:51 pm
Don't tease!  Surely one of you computer whizzes can post it somehow?
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: theinevitable on June 20, 2006, 05:42:14 pm
but he...
what he....

dang, yo. that is cold.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 20, 2006, 07:57:01 pm
lame
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: mkilly on July 04, 2006, 04:40:09 am
Huh. I posted about a 20th of June strip that was pulled? Nobody has it? It seemingly hasn't appeared since. I can't even think of what the content was like, except my earlier remarks about that Mr. Bear was surly with Philippe. Sad story, both the Achewood and the meta.
Title: Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
Post by: theinevitable on July 04, 2006, 04:44:16 am
um, no. the mrdna comment was followed by a comment in grey text that said that he was just kidding.

you, I think, were just making shit up all over the place.