The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jough on September 12, 2003, 11:59:23 pm

Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 11:59:23 pm
I'm doing a little housecleaning this weekend.

* Anyone who hasn't activivated their account by Sunday night will have it deleted.

* I just deleted all of the user accounts with zero posts.  If you want to be a member, you must post.  You do not have to be a member to lurk, however.

* You may not have more than one account.  I'm going to run a script on Sunday night that looks for more than one user posting from the same IP.

Any IPs that meet this criteria, that IP will be blocked.

IF MORE THAN ONE PERSON POSTS HERE FROM THE SAME PC YOU MUST MESSAGE ME USING A "PM" IN ORDER TO NOT BE BANNED.

Also, let me know if you accidentally have more than one account, or made another one to change user names, let me know that, too.

* Users who consistently post in the obviously wrong forum section will be denied the ability to post new threads.  This is a new feature that I have just added-on to the board.  JL and I are the sole arbiters of what is and isn't appropriate.

I'm getting very very tired of moving threads.

Basically, I have a very low tolerance of people who make extra work for me.  It's so easy to ban people with the new plugins - just a little click of a button - so when I weigh "easy" versus "annoying busy-work" GUESS WHICH ONE WINS?

I don't want to be the totalitatian dictator, but I don't want to waste time keeping this shizzle in order, either.

I'm willing to amend any of the above policies if anyone can post a good reason for not implementing any of the above.

-- Jough
Title: Re: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: CortJstr on September 13, 2003, 03:08:30 am
Quote from: "jough"
* You may not have more than one account.  I'm going to run a script on Sunday night that looks for more than one user posting from the same IP.

Any IPs that meet this criteria, that IP will be blocked.


I'm guessing you mean consistently. Since dial-up users (especially AOL) could have this problem at random.
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: jough on September 13, 2003, 04:48:23 am
If I discover that dialup users have the same IP address, it'll pretty much mean that you live within blocks of each other.  

In that unlikely possibility, I will introduce one member to the other so that you can go have a drink together or something.
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: slink on September 13, 2003, 12:25:38 pm
Quote from: "jough"
If I discover that dialup users have the same IP address, it'll pretty much mean that you live within blocks of each other.  

In that unlikely possibility, I will introduce one member to the other so that you can go have a drink together or something.


True, while I am a dialup (ack) user, I suspect no one who views this board lives withiin 100 miles of me...
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 05:57:43 pm
I gave people an extra day to fess up before they will no longer be able to even READ this web site (or actually, any site on this server).

There are three of you!

PM Me.  YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: jay-ell on September 15, 2003, 06:15:08 pm
Oh, come now.  Don't ban them yet.  Not everybody checks in here daily, or even weekly.  *Especially* the lurkers.
Title: where
Post by: satchel on September 16, 2003, 07:51:48 pm
I wondered where those twenty-or-so members went. I looked at the membership total, and I knew we had recently cracked 100. Then when I saw our total at about 85, I wondered what had happened. I thought I had confused this board with some other that has 100 members.
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: CortJstr on September 16, 2003, 09:51:26 pm
A lot of large boards simply require a log-in every 30 days. We could try that deleting people that way.
Title: per month
Post by: satchel on September 18, 2003, 07:46:02 pm
A one-month cutoff is a little harsh. I have binges that last that long. How about two or three months?
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: misterhaan on September 19, 2003, 08:00:36 pm
why would people need to be deleted anyway?  surely if they're not even posting they can't be taking up too much web space or anything . . . where's the harm?
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: jough on September 19, 2003, 08:08:49 pm
It doesn't really matter when there are only 100 members, but if there were a lot more than that the membership directory can get a little loaded with people who aren't really "members" in the traditional sense.
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: wikdsack on September 20, 2003, 05:26:49 pm
Hello, my name is David, and I am a lurker. There. I said it.
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: wombat on September 20, 2003, 07:14:08 pm
Hooray for David.  Come on, people.  I used to be a lurker and now I moderate a forum hardly any one posts on.  Aren't you all inspired by us now?
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 26, 2003, 07:35:44 am
Hey, Jough - thanks for not banning me. I often don't check from work, and if I'm on vacation (which happens several times a year) I never check.
Title: Re: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: CortJstr on September 27, 2003, 01:12:13 am
Quote from: "jough"
* You may not have more than one account.  I'm going to run a script on Sunday night that looks for more than one user posting from the same IP.

Any IPs that meet this criteria, that IP will be blocked.


Uh oh! Nice Jough had better watch out before regular Jough's script singles you out and our beloved admin accidently bans himself.
Title: Cleanup In Aisle 10...
Post by: Nice Jough on September 27, 2003, 02:41:54 am
Yes, I fear by Sunday night I will be banned.

Of course, I am also an Admin and thus am not affected by the blocking, even if the script were to block me.

Thank you for your concern for my well-being.  You're a great friend. :)