The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on June 23, 2006, 04:06:04 am

Title: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: pmcd9 on June 23, 2006, 04:06:04 am
I don't have a whole lot to say on the subject at the moment, I'm too upset, but I lost my job today.  I've known it was coming for a couple of weeks and I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop.  It dropped today.  I was railroaded.  The person I was sent to work for didn't like me from the start and so I never had a chance.  She was my Judge, Jury and Executioner.  On the one hand I am anxious over the loss of income, but on the other hand I am relieved, because it really was a shit job.  Now I am free to pursue other more interesting avenues.  What, I'm not entirely sure just yet, but I'm thinking a year on unemployment compensation would be nice.  We'll see.  At any rate, I'm not down, everything's gonna work out fine.

This will NOT derail my diet.

~Paul
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: Mite on June 23, 2006, 04:10:04 am
Yikes! Not a lot of good news coming out of this place lately.

If I can ever do anything for ya, holla at me. Though a year of unemployment sounds sorta nice.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: AugustWest on June 23, 2006, 04:21:39 am
Quick! Somebody sent Paul a shift!

That sucks dude.  Does this mean you can get on back to Houston now?
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: Choop on June 23, 2006, 04:32:53 am
It's tough to eat right on unemployment - at least, here in GA it is. It's tough to eat period. Plus, we only get to collect unemployment for 3 months: how do you get to collect for a year?

If you can swing it, get yourself back home. It's still tomato season in climes further south, and hopefully a landlord will understand an early exit under circumstances such as these.

Have you appealed your off-laying? If there's an HR department you can usually appeal to them to get your job back, but you'll have to have a bloc of peers and at least one person from a higher tier to back you (the size of the bloc will vary based on the company's size, but you know what I'm getting at) in order to countermand the "get out" order. On the other hand, if it was consultants and "consolidation" that left you jobless, well, my prayers are with you and i wish i could hire you for your photography.

Now: if you worked yourself out of a job, then that's a thing to be proud of, and you should update your resume and get back on the market immediately. It's not an easy thing to do, and you should be proud of that. If that is indeed the case.

On the plus side, when you don't have money for lots of food, it's easier not to eat lots of food. It's tough to eat right on unemployment, but it's not impossible. Without the availability of hot prepared meals, you'll find yourself getting more and more creative in the kitchen.

Best of luck to you, and may you come by what you need.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: V-Adore on June 23, 2006, 04:40:55 am
Damn, Paul, that sucks and sucks hard. On the other hand, at least you can get out of Utah now and get to somewhere where tomato-growing is easier and there are more opportunities...
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: pmcd9 on June 23, 2006, 02:56:26 pm
Melancholy (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN13785-E-1024.jpg)

~Paul
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: Hobot on June 23, 2006, 03:00:02 pm
Sorry to hear it, man.  I can't imagine what kind of person wouldn't like you and would want to screw you over like this; you are good people.  I hope everything works out; best of luck to you, good sir.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: side_show on June 23, 2006, 03:03:08 pm
Hey, honestly, I'm releaved because you no longer work for the cause of cancer.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: misterqueue on June 23, 2006, 03:04:17 pm
Paul, I know you will move on to bigger and better things, I just know it!

Maybe now is the time to open up "The Paul Gallery: Photographs of a Daily Life"

I would visit that gallery.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: wombat on June 23, 2006, 06:29:26 pm
OMG. That's awful. But on the other hand, there is nothing better than getting out of a shit job where your boss hates you.  In the long run it will all be good, I have faith in this.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 23, 2006, 07:58:23 pm
I read the thread title and hoped against hope that you were cleverly telling us that your clutch went out or something.

Best of luck - you seem to have a way of landing on your feet, so I'm confident you'll be OK. Get back to your family and get back on track.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 24, 2006, 02:51:29 am
I don't know what to say, and am kind of new here, but best of luck man.

Hard times are no fun.  Hope you can get back to Houston, if that is what you want to do. 
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: slink on July 04, 2006, 04:32:19 pm
That sucks, man. And rules at the same time.
I mean, hell, if you didn't like it, nothing like enforced motivation to move on. I hope you can find out what you really want to do and get to doing exactly that.
For me, it's mostly nothing, and boy am I getting good at it!

Best of luck!
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: wombat on July 04, 2006, 07:34:32 pm
That sucks, man. And rules at the same time.


That is exactly what I meant. I wish I had phrased it so perfectly.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: lprkn on July 08, 2006, 03:18:22 am
Melancholy (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN13785-E-1024.jpg)

~Paul

What's with the capital letters, man? Now that you are shiftless, you uhhh, you can't...Oh God, this fell so flat.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: Mite on July 08, 2006, 01:33:17 pm
I got a laugh outta it.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: pmcd9 on July 08, 2006, 05:58:21 pm
oh, i get it now.

`paul
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: pmcd9 on July 18, 2006, 01:48:00 am
I got myself on the welfare (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/LIFE_IN_UTAH/IMAGES/1024/DSCN14263-E-1024.jpg) today.

~Paul
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: side_show on July 18, 2006, 03:21:36 am
I love the apologetic look on the lady behind the desk's face.  Like she's saying in a sing song voice "so-rry!"  Also, you look awfully sharp there.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: jough on July 18, 2006, 03:25:42 am
Way to suckle from the public teat, Paul.

Hey, I figure the country owes you for your time spent in Utah.

HE SUFFERED FOR OUR SINS
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: AugustWest on July 18, 2006, 03:41:00 am
Hey.  Unemployment is not welfare.  You've been paying into that system, it's there to protect you.  You should not feel even slightly guilty.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: theinevitable on July 18, 2006, 05:21:28 am
so, for some reason I looked at that picture and thought that she was using a typewriter.

I have decided that when I am a super-rich Mogul of some kind, I will set up a Typewriter to be the keyboard to my computer. The screen will be a hidden projector, and the CPU itself will be under the desk in some way.

Although I guess the noise and effort would get super-annoying after a while. plus, who do you contact to wire a typewriter as a keyboard?
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: Lister on July 18, 2006, 08:04:35 am
I hope your head has stopped being all blurry.  It would make everyone think you were someone not being charged on an episode of COPS, or perhaps a T-shirt logo on MTV.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: Pedro Picasso on July 18, 2006, 02:17:21 pm
Basically what Auggie-Doggie said. You and yor employer done paid into that deal.

ALSO: Great suit.

I must agree.  If you have to go through bad times, at least you look good doing it.  And I have to agree with AW as well.  Unemployment checks are government-structured luck-balancing.  Good times? Leave a penny.  Bad times? Take a penny.  Quit to start your own business only to realize no one's buying?  No pennies for you!
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: side_show on July 18, 2006, 03:49:10 pm
Also, from your most recent photo in the ice cream thread, I know that you got yourself a nice ice cream cone either before or after going on the dole.  This wonderfully lackadaisical* attitude is one I hope to emulate soon.

* yeah I know "lackadaisical" isn't a word of necessarily positive connotations, but when I was younger I thought it was "lacks-a-daisy-cal," and that this meant one was lacking a daisy, and not really caring about lacking a daisy, because, hey who really cares about lacking a daisy?  Hence, to me it is a positive attitude to hold toward situations one has no controle over.
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: jough on July 18, 2006, 03:53:12 pm
I think the word you're looking for is "insouciant," not "lackadaisical."
Title: Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
Post by: theinevitable on July 18, 2006, 06:03:33 pm
he also got a cute girl to hold the icecream cone.

notice what he has done.