The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: nuero on June 26, 2006, 08:24:26 am

Title: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say STOP.
Post by: nuero on June 26, 2006, 08:24:26 am
This was okay. Several other good titles here, I think. I'm glad that little arc is over, too.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06262006
Title: 26 June 2006--You get a lineup of dudes pissing into empties, you call me.
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 26, 2006, 08:24:32 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06262006


I am soooooooooo happy right now.  It is like early achewood is back.

Without Todd of course, but still improvement.


These overhead shots of late have been pretty cool as well.
Title: Re: 26 June 2006--You get a lineup of dudes pissing into empties, you call me.
Post by: Doc on June 26, 2006, 08:32:35 am
Not too shabby for a one sided talking head strip. A change of pace from the surreal fare of late but still good. 'He said faggot the way old telegrams said STOP' makes me smile.

I get this weird feeling this is inspired by something that has happened to our friendly neighbourhood author, it seems to personal to just come up with spontaneously.

For that matter, what the hell kind of street does Ray live in when he's in that giant house and his neighbour is selling car parts out of his driveway? Are his neighbours just douche bags or did he build the biggest damn house in the ghetto?
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: V-Adore on June 26, 2006, 08:56:02 am
Merged! With Doc's now-incoherent double-post preserved for posterity. But yeah, agreed; this is a good one-off, and it describes something amusing. I'm satisfied.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: Doc on June 26, 2006, 09:02:50 am
Must you taunt me so V? I keep forgetting you mods can merge posts and such now.
Every typo I managed to cram into those three measly paragraphs is just *staring* at me.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: misterqueue on June 26, 2006, 10:29:55 am
I don't have too much to add here.  It was enjoyable enough.  Sometimes I can't even tell if *I* have a haircut or not.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say STOP.
Post by: Tangle on June 26, 2006, 10:51:47 am
I love the agitated forward hunch and eyebrows in panel 4. Ray is all CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT THIS IS BAD!?
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: theinevitable on June 26, 2006, 11:17:44 am
I think I am officially at the point where I don't really have a haircut.

but I am not a dirtbag.

I would not buy car parts from ray, or call anyone a Faggot. "Fag" is so much shorter. But, despite being one of the better curses in the English language, I have never had the occaision to use it without feeling bad. And I suppose that never will come.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say STOP.
Post by: Hobot on June 26, 2006, 11:55:45 am
Selling car parts out of your driveway is not classy; Ray knows this, and is fixin' to put a stop to it.

I agree with Tangle; the leaning-with-concerned-eyebrows in panel four is pretty great. 

This is the correct thread title; runner-up: "I couldn't tell if he had a haircut or not."
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say STOP.
Post by: cellardoor on June 26, 2006, 12:32:40 pm
I don't understand faggot.
It means something like lump of wood and yet if hurled at me by a mindless American i'm to believe it means i'm gay?
What up with dat?!
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: wombat on June 26, 2006, 12:41:24 pm
I think I am officially at the point where I don't really have a haircut.


Is this a problem?  I have been noticing that the teenage boy version of These Kids Today seems to favor a haircut that says 'I can't afford a haircut.'  But perhaps now you are too old for this.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: Hobot on June 26, 2006, 12:53:19 pm
Is this a problem?  I have been noticing that the teenage boy version of These Kids Today seems to favor a haircut that says 'I can't afford a haircut.'  But perhaps now you are too old for this.

Quite the opposite.  Now that he is a college boy, he is allowed not to have a haircut.  Any style that cannot be achieved with kitchen scissors is Too Complicated.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say STOP.
Post by: CortJstr on June 26, 2006, 01:08:02 pm
Is this a problem?  I have been noticing that the teenage boy version of These Kids Today seems to favor a haircut that says 'I can't afford a haircut.'  But perhaps now you are too old for this.

I blame Jim from The Office (US).
Title: Re: 26 June 2006--You get a lineup of dudes pissing into empties, you call me.
Post by: linnea on June 26, 2006, 01:15:19 pm
For that matter, what the hell kind of street does Ray live in when he's in that giant house and his neighbour is selling car parts out of his driveway? Are his neighbours just douche bags or did he build the biggest damn house in the ghetto?

Remember Envelópe Martinez (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02012006)? I bet that's him, dude. I bet that he's selling car parts out of his driveway.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: oball on June 26, 2006, 02:06:00 pm
These are pretty much the exact same poses as the Prank Calling (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05202003) strips.

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/oball/ache.jpg)

I swear I've seen that overhead shot before as well.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: misterqueue on June 26, 2006, 02:11:16 pm

I swear I've seen that overhead shot before as well.

You're welcome. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01092004)
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: theinevitable on June 26, 2006, 09:31:45 pm
yeah, I have that hair. Mostly because my hair is thick, curly in some places and straight in others... the only haircut I've ever gotten that didn't look like hell for the first 2 weeks cost something like 50 dollars. which is rediculous.
I might just get a buzz. or not. a buzz and some crazy color of dye.

they call gay people Faggots because they used to burn them. this is the etymology of the term.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: Mite on June 26, 2006, 09:45:16 pm
they call gay people Faggots because they used to burn them. this is the etymology of the term.

Nope. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(slang))
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: derelictsound on June 27, 2006, 12:17:51 am
This reminds me of the David Cross bit where he asks, "Is this the beer line?" and some yokel in front of him replies, "I dunno, FAGGOT."

Also, how certain are we that Ray himself has never pissed into an empty?
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: Doc on June 27, 2006, 12:55:15 am
I'm pretty certain that Ray *has* pissed into an emtpy.
But not in his own living room.
This is the distinguishing feature and Ray realises this.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 27, 2006, 03:08:44 am
I'm pretty certain that Ray *has* pissed into an emtpy.
But not in his own living room.
This is the distinguishing feature and Ray realises this.

Their ain't a red-blooded American Curl who hasn't.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: mrdna1 on June 27, 2006, 03:58:44 am
Looks like Onstad's been hanging around the SomethingAwful forums lately ... there was a post there a while ago comparing their general (over)usage of "faggot" to the STOPs on a telegram:

Quote
person1: What you need to realize is that 'faggot' isn't really hatefully directed around here. It's more of a comma.
person2: I think of it more like how periods were on old telegraph messages -- GERMANS ADVANCING ON PRAGUE FAGGOT ADVANCE INTELLIGENCE INDICATES UPWARDS OF TWO BATALLIONS OF MOTORIZED INFANTRY FAGGOT DANUBE TO BE BLOCADED IN RETALIATION FAGGOT PLEASE ADVISE FAGGOT
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: nDed on June 27, 2006, 04:26:37 am
Calling the police on uncouth neighbors seems like a particularly Pat thing to do. Also, I don't know if Ray has ever urinated into a bottle, but I do know he made pickles in a hotel bed and that is just terrible.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: colmore on June 27, 2006, 05:46:21 am
Sure sure sure... but he wasn't *proud* of the hotel bed pickles.  Hotel bed pickles ain't a part of his daily routine.

I like the image of seven California Rednecks all lined up by a big height chart, all pissin into empties, all calling the one-way mirror "faggot."
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say S
Post by: Bagger? on June 27, 2006, 07:57:37 am
I like the image of seven California Rednecks all lined up by a big height chart, all pissin into empties, all calling the one-way mirror "faggot."

It is of my observation that this excites humor in me because it is true. Through my travels, I have seen many specimen of redneck, but none so stereotypical as the Californian Redneck.

I have not been able to figure out for certain what created this extreme species. I do know, that I have broken bread with many rednecks across America without offense, my favorite being the Michigan case, rather diverse in its personality (I once met a flaming gay couple in this fine state’s boondocks, perfectly accepted). It is, however, my opinion that it is the fault of the Berkleyites and the extreme liberal population, as these rednecks see these people, and struggle desperately to find a completely opposite and parallel existence.

Or rather, the Californian hick rebels against the Californian rebel.

This is my first post, as in I am new here, and I hope to find acceptance under the condition that I will post as rarely as possible.
Title: Re: June 26 2006 - Details? He said "faggot" the way old telegrams used to say STOP.
Post by: jough on June 27, 2006, 12:50:33 pm
We'll hold you to that, Bagger.  Welcome to the board.