The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on June 29, 2006, 04:32:51 am
-
So, I bought a external harddrive today because I filled up my 60 gb mp3 player. I immediately got a little more than 15 gb of music and loops off of my computer that wasn't on my mp3 player just so my computer would run better. Anyways, it has 37 gb and I have 19 left, but I don't really have anything at all on my computer now. Like 2 gb of programs, but that is it. Where the fuck is all of this space on my computer going? Is there anyway to get rid of it, even though I know I don't have to now? Oh, it is a windows system.
-
I had this exact same problem.
In my case, it ended up being over 10,000 cookies, as well as a huge number of temporary files. Apparently at some point I turned off the setting that automatically erased them.
The rest was just bits and pieces of programs. Can't really help you beyond that, sorry.
-
Windows tends to leave quite a bunch of temp files and associated garbage on your hard drive over time. They can take up a surprising amount of space.
One thing you could try is to download and run Windows CleanUp! (http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/), it's worked alright for me at least.
EDIT: Oh, and you could use SpaceMonger (http://www.werkema.com/software/spacemonger.html) to get a nifty graphical view of the contents of your hard drive, that way you might be able to identify what files are taking up all that space.
-
Awesome, thanks alot.
-
Well, I ran the deleted the cookies then ran the cleanUp *which does it for you, and it took away like half a gig. Pretty crazy, but that is still alot of random stuff. Anyhow, I think I am just going to reinstall maybe, since I got a 160 gb harddrive to put everything on.
-
Do you know how to check your partition sizes? Maybe you have some unpartitioned space in there?
If you've carried stuff over from previous computers maybe there are some program folders floating around that aren't actually isntalled on the registry so they won't be on the list of things to uninstall.
Generally a clean reinstall is a good idea, personally I like to make myself keep the minimum amount of stuff to carry over since I have this weird hoarding thing I do with files I downloaded forever ago. (Still got these sheep that walk around my screen that I thought were the bomb in 96. Who am I kidding? They're still the bomb).
-
(Still got these sheep that walk around my screen that I thought were the bomb in 96. Who am I kidding? They're still the bomb).
Oh, those sheep. But couldn't you just go to New Zealand to get your fill?
-
Yeah but new zealand sheep are too big to fit into a monitor. Especially an LCD.