The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Drygioni on July 04, 2006, 11:00:36 am

Title: WCCA Awards
Post by: Drygioni on July 04, 2006, 11:00:36 am
http://www.ccawards.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=154&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (http://www.ccawards.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=154&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Normally I wouldn't care so much about this, but Achewood has been nominated for quite a few this year. If you can't be bothered to trawl through it to find what Onstad has been nominated for, here are the nominations Achewood's been put down for:

Outstanding Comic
Outstanding Writing
Outstanding Character Writing
Outstanding Comedic Comic

I think Achewood straight up trounces anyone else in these categories (except maybe Comedic Comic; PBF deserves that one through and through). It's a shame that Achewood only seems to have been nominated so comparatively widely this year because of the popularity afforded by the GOF. I wouldn't say it's improved dramatically through all the years it wasn't nominated (it's always deserved this level of recognition), but these awards seem to be based on popularity anyhow. It'd be great to see Onstad win an award, anyhow. He certainly deserves it.

As for everyone else, I don't have much to say except I will cry if Dinosaur Comics wins anything. I've had just about enough 'HEY GOD DO YOU LIKE LADIES' 'I LOVES THE LADIES' strips to make me seriously doubt the people who nominate it for Outstanding Writing.

Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: misterqueue on July 04, 2006, 12:19:53 pm
I normally do not care about these things either but it is nice to see OoTS get some sort of recognition, I guess.

I concur about Dinosaur Comics, mostly they make me go "meh". 
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: Drygioni on July 18, 2006, 01:51:26 am
http://www.ccawards.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=199 (http://www.ccawards.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=199)

Achewood wins nothing while Ryan North gets Outstanding Writing over the consistently brilliant blogs and dialogue of Achewood? Bewildering! However, I am pretty pleased that the PBF won pretty much everything it could possibly be nominated for.

The whole WCCA malarkey and subsequently this post ain't worth the bandwidth it eats up, but hell, it ain't my bandwidth.
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: jough on July 18, 2006, 03:27:02 am
Achewood wouldn't want the award, man.  It would go to its head and then the strip would just sit on the sofa and eat bon-bons all day.

WE RETURN WHENEVER, BEYOTCHES
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: pmcd9 on July 18, 2006, 03:39:44 am
I guess Ryan North would have to win for writing if he won anything at all.  I never got why he is even considered a comic since he doesn't draw anything.  It's just a very strange blog or something.  Glad to see PBF win, that's the funniest shit out there aside from Achewood.

~Paul
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: theinevitable on July 18, 2006, 05:32:23 am
oh my goodness, i did not know that Hobot Wrote Comics! (http://70.86.201.113/imageserv2/stilltemporary/PBF048BCTodayismyBirthday.gif)
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: jough on July 18, 2006, 05:40:03 am
oh my goodness, i did not know that Hobot Wrote Comics! (http://70.86.201.113/imageserv2/stilltemporary/PBF048BCTodayismyBirthday.gif)

???
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: V-Adore on July 18, 2006, 07:11:59 am
C'mon, no love here for A Lesson Is Learned... getting the art and layout respect it so richly deserves? That strip is like crazy magic.
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: Doc on July 18, 2006, 07:29:47 am
A lesson is learned is truly wonderful but serously they have not updated regularly in forever, I don't think you can really give them a yearly award when most of their stuff came out last year.

I happen to enjoy Dinosaur comics, yeah he riffs on the same stuff a lot but so does Achewood (and just about every other art form out there) and it is usually good for a chuckle.
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: CortJstr on July 18, 2006, 01:33:52 pm
I read Dino Comics. It makes way more sense to me than Overcompensating which I'm apparently supposed to like.

If nothing else DC often has interesting links in the news section. That's how I found out about the Mario blocks harglebargle, Dr. McNinja, and xkcd.
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: Hobot on July 18, 2006, 05:43:00 pm
oh my goodness, i did not know that Hobot Wrote Comics! (http://70.86.201.113/imageserv2/stilltemporary/PBF048BCTodayismyBirthday.gif)


NOOOOOOO

"no, I don't want to celebrate my birthday. It just reminds me that I'm closer to dying."
that will be me. that will be me.

http://70.86.201.113/imageserv2/temporary/PBF048BCTodayismyBirthday.html (http://70.86.201.113/imageserv2/temporary/PBF048BCTodayismyBirthday.html)

This would be a good use of Q's "We TALKED about this!" image.
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: theinevitable on July 18, 2006, 05:57:00 pm
wow, dang. I am sorry.
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: V-Adore on July 18, 2006, 07:21:50 pm
I read Dino Comics. It makes way more sense to me than Overcompensating which I'm apparently supposed to like.

Yeah, I sort of agree. I need to buy the Wigu print stuff, but I've sort of been demotivated by J-Ro going increasingly inscrutable and insane in recent months. I mean, what the hell?
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: wombat on July 18, 2006, 07:36:39 pm
Noooo! Overcompensating is brilliant.  Dinosaur comics has too many words.
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: CortJstr on July 18, 2006, 08:24:34 pm
Noooo! Overcompensating is brilliant.  Dinosaur comics has too many words.

http://xkcd.com/c114.html
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: Mite on July 18, 2006, 11:19:58 pm
I love overcompensating, but it does sound like j-ro's going slowly insane. I blame all the Art Bell that he listens to. That shit'll rot yer mind.
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: Doc on July 19, 2006, 05:50:15 am
See I've been more into him since he stopped wigu and went overcompensating full time. I read plenty of storyline comics so I dig random non-sequitors now and then.
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: wombat on July 19, 2006, 12:33:15 pm
I read plenty of storyline comics so I dig random non-sequitors now and then.


Yes!  See, anyone could write a story if they really had to.  There are principles, and structure.  It might be a lame story, but you could do it.  But those random flashes of insanity... those are precious.  You can't make them happen.
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2006, 05:51:35 pm
Noooo! Overcompensating is brilliant.  Dinosaur comics has too many words.

I feel less fanboyish after reading the news section today on DC:

Quote from: Ryan North
Achewood was really great yesterday! I love that comic and that episode in particular. Usually when there's a really great comic I'll email the creator to say "Hey, I really liked your comic today! Thank you for making it exceptionally awesome!" because I use a lot of exclamation marks because they're free. But I didn't email Onstad, thinking, man the dude probably has enough emails already, and PERHAPS IN RESPONSE TO THIS, last night I had a dream where he called me.

We chatted about things and I told him over the phone that I liked his comic and he said he liked mine too, and it was REALLY WEIRD because I've never dreamed about a cartoonist before, and I honestly don't normally have dreams where people I respect tell me I'm pretty okay. My subconscious is not that transparent; my dreams are customarily the standard dreams of men of my age and position: wild, unattainable dreams of courting a lady of breeding without incident and of settling sensibly in the Hamptonshire.

anyway embarrassing personal details aside i really liked yesterday's achewood is what i'm trying to say here dudes and ladies
Title: Re: WCCA Awards
Post by: Doc on July 20, 2006, 11:29:19 pm
As much resepect as I have for Ryan North I don't think comapring favourably with him really is that great a water mark for fanboyish nerdishness. Bascally all the dumbrella gang are huge dorks and are not ashamed to show it, if there is a bell curve for geeking out then they are the tiny wedge at the far end.
Not that we'd have them any other way.