The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on July 05, 2006, 10:30:40 pm

Title: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: wombat on July 05, 2006, 10:30:40 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07052006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07052006)

A Roseanne??
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: CortJstr on July 05, 2006, 10:35:10 pm
Until Christmas. Apparently Teodor has put some thought into this.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: nDed on July 05, 2006, 10:52:05 pm
My guess is that Roseanne spent enough time defecating into various things that are not toilets (e.g. beach towels) to be associated with such an activity.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: Doc on July 05, 2006, 11:22:15 pm
Lyle's final line kind of lets it down a bit for me, would have been better more ambigous, or alternatively a later panel with Lyle ranting at Todd himself.
That said it is a delicious premise and I always love a con.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: misterqueue on July 05, 2006, 11:37:06 pm
Yeah.. I don't really like the last line. 

Despite my love for Lyle I wish he would stop hanging around that awful, awful Todd fellow.  Otherwise this was pretty good characterization that didn't involve Mr. Beef, Ray, or that little fuck*ng cake-dancer.

A+
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: Drygioni on July 05, 2006, 11:58:52 pm
Achewood hasn't been loading all day, and now a strip comes out? With MORE LYLE?

why you got to make me hurt you Chrissy boy


EDIT: Alright, the site still isn't working, but I've used methods to get the strip anyway. I thought it was pretty awesome. Lyle is always a pleasure. But like Vetinari you can't use him too much, or he'll wear out.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: melack on July 06, 2006, 12:50:13 am
I loved this strip almost as much as I loved the accompanying visual of Lyle pooping into a sweatshirt.

Fun Tyme Trivia Tyme: This strip features neither Ray nor Roast Beef. When is the last comic to hold such a claim?

Answer: Hell if I know, the server's broken.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: dejavroom on July 06, 2006, 01:00:55 am
I hate everybody
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: Doc on July 06, 2006, 02:30:25 am
But like Vetinari you can't use him too much, or he'll wear out.

Man if there was a more innappropriate character to compare Lyle to I don't know it.
Although when you think about it, I can see Lyle having irrational hostility towards street theatre groups, and have you ever seen them in the same room?

Think about it.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: side_show on July 06, 2006, 03:05:58 am
My guess is that Roseanne spent enough time defecating into various things that are not toilets (e.g. beach towels) to be associated with such an activity.

No!  It is not a reference to Roseanne shitting, it is far crueler than that.  See, in the strip, "a Roseanne" equals "a shit," therefore, the reference is that Roseanne is shit. 

I'd love to explain further, but I've got to go right now - I have a bad case of Tom Arnold.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: nDed on July 06, 2006, 04:38:20 am
I don't know, Téodor referred to doing a Roseanne. This implies that a 'Roseanne' is more akin to the name of a skateboard move than an actual replacement for the word 'shit.'

However, I must concede that your explanation is appropriate in the sense that Roseanne resembles a fat load.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2006, 06:18:25 am
yeah, this was pretty Meh.

but any reference to A Con makes me think of The Sting, which is a pretty great movie.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: jough on July 06, 2006, 12:29:01 pm
I prefer the "long cons" like the Cartilage Head arc.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: Doc on July 06, 2006, 12:39:42 pm
I disagree there's an elegance to a short con between two people just prodding the basic buttons of human nature.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: Hobot on July 06, 2006, 01:26:52 pm
At first I thought that Teodor threw Todd into the fire.  That would have been more than just "kinda rude."

The phone book thing was pretty great, though.  Lyle being forceful and and almost pragmatic is so out of character, and therefore wonderful.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: Ben-San on July 06, 2006, 06:47:09 pm
At first I thought that Teodor threw Todd into the fire.  That would have been more than just "kinda rude."

I dunno about that, given how casual he was about being in Hell and leaving it. At worst it seems that dying means Friendly's for dinner again.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: Drygioni on July 06, 2006, 07:00:40 pm
How did Todd get out Hell when he got his question (hilariously) wrong? Do you get multiple tries? Seems a bit cheap.
Title: Re: It's just kinda rude to throw a guy away - July 5 2006
Post by: Ben-San on July 06, 2006, 07:05:16 pm
How did Todd get out Hell when he got his question (hilariously) wrong? Do you get multiple tries? Seems a bit cheap.

The toilet's not going anywhere.