The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on July 06, 2006, 06:38:33 pm

Title: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 06, 2006, 06:38:33 pm
Not today.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2006, 07:04:19 pm
man, I was so totally going to make this post.

me neither.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Ben-San on July 06, 2006, 07:04:35 pm
Totally not going to India today either. Will update tomorrow.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: misterqueue on July 06, 2006, 07:07:33 pm
I was going to go to Mexico today but then gas prices went up.


That's Mexico, MO... not... not the country.


Also, voting No on India for tomorrow... Today!
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Drygioni on July 06, 2006, 07:09:42 pm
I am going to India this evening.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2006, 07:57:44 pm
But of course, Judy needs to check on how the Empire is doing.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 06, 2006, 07:58:26 pm
And bring back something with flavor to add to that famous English cuisine.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Hobot on July 06, 2006, 08:17:11 pm
And bring back something with flavor to add to that famous English cuisine.

They already make curry Pringles (http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=572).
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Bozack on July 06, 2006, 09:50:23 pm
A ex-sort-of-ladyfriend of mine just got back from India the other day. I saw her for the first time in a few months yesterday...she failed to mention that she had also invited the dude that she had played me against to hang out. Man, it was like being in 10th grade all over again. I stayed up drinking wine and reading Philip K. Dick books until 4 am because I was kinda broken up over the fact that I can still be affected by psycho women.
Today, I bought the Dead Man soundtrack.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: slink on July 06, 2006, 09:59:33 pm
I stayed up drinking wine and reading Philip K. Dick books until 4 am because I was kinda broken up over the fact that I can still be affected by psycho women.


If my ex had just arrived back from India, that would be eerie.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 07, 2006, 12:39:40 am
No to India until at least the end of the week.

~Paul
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AugustWest on July 07, 2006, 12:51:02 am
I'm not going to India and neither is my wife.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 07, 2006, 12:52:19 am
I might order me a new wife from India next week, though.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 07, 2006, 05:50:49 am
I just got back!  I smell of curry!
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Tangle on July 07, 2006, 05:53:34 am
As of today, that's a negative as regards a trip to India.

I make no promises about tomorrow though. It is the weekend after all.


EDIT: aw dang, now I'm Chucklebot. That's some black beans right there.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 07, 2006, 05:58:36 am
I just got back!  I smell of curry!

That wasn't India, you just spent an hour at an "American" hotel.

~Paul
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: theinevitable on July 07, 2006, 06:08:47 am
no india today, either.
actually, maybe I will leave before noon. further updates soon.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: misterqueue on July 07, 2006, 12:32:21 pm
As of this morning I did not wake up in India.  I even checked the local weather channel just to be sure.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: wombat on July 07, 2006, 01:02:30 pm
Around here, most days at this time of year checking the weather would not make it at all clear that I was not in India.  But it's lovely and cool this morning so apparently I have not gone there either.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 07, 2006, 02:01:26 pm
Mrs. del Vaca's quasi-adopted sister lives in India right now.  Someday we may go visit her and her family.  But not today.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Hobot on July 07, 2006, 02:03:58 pm
I work with a lady from India.  But I'm not accompanying her (at least not today) on her next visit home.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AugustWest on July 07, 2006, 02:17:57 pm
I went to India with Michael Palin a few weeks ago.  Now I'm in Africa with Paul Theroux.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 07, 2006, 02:27:18 pm
I also did not buy a camel today.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Mite on July 07, 2006, 02:34:53 pm
I did not go to India, though I did go to the hospital for minor surgery and I'm now a little sick to my stomach, which would have been how I felt after eating yummy Indian food.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Bozack on July 07, 2006, 03:42:49 pm
A few weeks ago, I got drunk and high enough to vomit. The next morning, while I was sleeping it off, my dad knocked on my door and demanded that I go with him to the Indian Buffet near my house. Although some moments were touch and go, I managed to keep everything down.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: theinevitable on July 07, 2006, 05:23:29 pm
I have never understood the urge to combine good food with "buffet."

this boggles my soul.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 07, 2006, 05:42:21 pm
I did not go to India today. I did go to a 7-11 this morning, though. There are no Indian or Pakistani people running 7-11s or Dunkin Donuts here in Hawaii. The only Indian people I see are in the IT department at my job (and at the 2 good Indian Restaurants) (and the 2 or 3 Indian Restaurants run by Fijian Indians which are a little different).
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Bozack on July 07, 2006, 06:35:24 pm
I have never understood the urge to combine good food with "buffet."

Oh man, if you went to this particular Indian Buffet, your eyes would be opened. During the week and at night it's a normal indian restaurant, but on weekends from noon to 4 they bust out the buffet style serving. It is DELICIOUS.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 07, 2006, 08:00:18 pm
Oh my you're making me miss my favorite place, Mt Everest in Evanston, IL. Nepalese/Indian Cuisine with a lunch buffet. Those guys throw down, yo. If you find yourself in Evanston, I recommend the following places (and most others!)

Mt Everest
Lulu's Dim Sum and Then Some
Tapas Barcelona

I hope they are all still open.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 07, 2006, 09:56:29 pm
I have never understood the urge to combine good food with "buffet."

Oh man, if you went to this particular Indian Buffet, your eyes would be opened.

The problem with the word combination 'Indian' and 'Buffet' is, if it's as good as this place (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/FOOD/DSCN7407-E-1024.jpg), you will find yourself eating enough to feed an entire Indian village.

~Paul

Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AugustWest on July 07, 2006, 11:57:44 pm
Oh man, if you went to this particular Indian Buffet, your eyes would be opened. During the week and at night it's a normal indian restaurant, but on weekends from noon to 4 they bust out the buffet style serving. It is DELICIOUS.

Are you talking about the one in the old Holiday Inn? 
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Bozack on July 08, 2006, 04:36:15 am
Nah, Kashmir, on Bardstown Road, by Heine Brothers at Longest. It started a few years ago, and my dad (who's crazy for Indian food) started going there every week. The guy who owns it knows us by sight now, and asks us where my father is if he doesn't come in for a while.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: slink on July 08, 2006, 11:23:28 am
I'm in India.

You want proof?

OK, it's sunny. It's hot. People are speaking Hindi. That do you?


Well fine, it's hot and sunny enough here, though I'm only hearing Hindi if I phone my bank.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Tangle on July 08, 2006, 11:38:21 am
The only Indian people I see are in the IT department at my job (and at the 2 good Indian Restaurants) (and the 2 or 3 Indian Restaurants run by Fijian Indians which are a little different).

This seems to be an international phenomenon. I also see Indian people in the IT department at my job.

As of now, I am not surrounded by holy cows, nor to I see the Ganges spread out in front of me in all its glory. So, even though I might be in India, I actually am not.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AugustWest on July 08, 2006, 03:45:24 pm
I was in Indiana the other day.  That should be worth something.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: CortJstr on July 08, 2006, 07:38:46 pm
I was in Indiana the other day.  That should be worth something.

City or state?
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 08, 2006, 07:50:24 pm
this place (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/FOOD/DSCN7407-E-1024.jpg)

Damn I need to get to India.

~Paul
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: misterqueue on July 08, 2006, 09:28:26 pm
Important Note: You cannot walk to India from here.  I have tried.  Other results to follow.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AugustWest on July 08, 2006, 10:00:52 pm
City or state?
State.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: theinevitable on July 09, 2006, 01:21:22 am
I really, really, need to eat some Indian food. As in: try it. But my parents do not like it.
And I am a wimp.

basically I need to have my friends there, to make me feel awkward/guilty until I try it.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: wombat on July 09, 2006, 01:44:52 am
Wait, there is a city called Indiana?
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 09, 2006, 01:46:06 am
The horrible part is that it's in the state of Indiana.  I guess that's no worse than New York, New York, though.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: wombat on July 09, 2006, 01:49:47 am
  I guess that's no worse than New York, New York, though.

I kind of suspect that it is worse, actually, but I'm biased.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: CortJstr on July 09, 2006, 02:00:52 am
The horrible part is that it's in the state of Indiana.  I guess that's no worse than New York, New York, though.
I was talking about Indiana, PA. Home of IUP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_University_of_Pennsylvania) where my mom went for a year before transferring the hell out.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 09, 2006, 02:21:59 am
Both Mrs. del Vaca and my late father went to Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

(Not at the same time.)
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: theinevitable on July 09, 2006, 03:36:32 am
awkward

that's like this kid from my graduating class who is going to Miami University of Ohio.
Why not just come up with a new name? what am I missing?

also: roads in Charlotte are named after small towns around NC. This confuses me a lot.

I specifically remember turning down a concert that was in "North Davidson." Apparently, there is a town called Davidson, but there is also an area of Charlotte called North Davidson, because it is centered around North Davidson street.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 09, 2006, 04:48:51 am
The horrible part is that it's in the state of Indiana.  I guess that's no worse than New York, New York, though.

There's Texas City, Texas, just south of Houston.  Home of the Texas City Dike (http://www.texas-flyer.com/bolivar/img/dike01.jpg) and the Texas City Dyke (http://www.genekelton.com/samples/TexasCityDyketrim.mp3).

~Paul
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Lister on July 09, 2006, 05:27:51 am
So I was going to snark about Kansas City, KS vs. Kansas City, MO, but I have no visual or auditory aids.

Kansas City, MO is where the Chiefs play, at Arrowhead, and you basically need to go to a Chiefs game there if you're a fan of the NFL.  Best tailgating/fan involvement ever.  And they're called the Chiefs because of Indians!

I didn't go to India today.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: misterqueue on July 09, 2006, 06:19:23 am
So I was going to snark about Kansas City, KS vs. Kansas City, MO, but I have no visual or auditory aids.

Kansas City, MO is where the Chiefs play, at Arrowhead, and you basically need to go to a Chiefs game there if you're a fan of the NFL.  Best tailgating/fan involvement ever.  And they're called the Chiefs because of Indians!

I didn't go to India today.

Oh fuck Kansas City...  stupid town stealing 4 years of my life and such.  Stupid fuck*ng Kansas City.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 09, 2006, 06:30:50 am
There's also an Indiana, PA.  And a Mars, PA. 

And a Blueball, PA, which strangely is right next to Intercourse, PA.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: theinevitable on July 09, 2006, 06:37:19 am
they wanted to make sure you knew they weren't whores like those people over in Intercourse.
duh.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: misterqueue on July 09, 2006, 11:30:36 am
There's also an Indiana, PA.  And a Mars, PA. 

And a Blueball, PA, which strangely is right next to Intercourse, PA.

Bowling Green, MO  that's all I have to say about that.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Bozack on July 09, 2006, 03:23:11 pm
Well Traveled Kentuckian! (http://wwww.whylouisville.com/catalog/reg/37_reg.jpg)
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 09, 2006, 05:08:27 pm
Not today!
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Hobot on July 09, 2006, 09:12:46 pm
Well Traveled Kentuckian! (http://wwww.whylouisville.com/catalog/reg/37_reg.jpg)

My life will not be complete until I have visited Bugtussle, KY.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: misterqueue on July 09, 2006, 09:14:40 pm
My life will not be complete until I have visited Bugtussle, KY.

Also Gobbler's Knob.


I mean... clearly.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Hobot on July 09, 2006, 09:26:43 pm
On the way to the beach today, the SO and I passed a sign informing us that the next exit led to the towns of Croaker and Norge.  The sign actually read:

CROAKER
NORGE


A few years ago, I believe my mother made my father drive through the town when they passed that exit.  Her reasoning for this adventure was that no town with the name of Croaker could possibly disappoint.  But she was wrong.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: side_show on July 10, 2006, 03:01:17 pm
July 10th, 10:00 AM - I'm an Indian.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 10, 2006, 03:46:34 pm
Not today!
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: misterqueue on July 10, 2006, 03:47:55 pm
I tried putting a Bindi on my forehead but it just wasn't the same.  This office is not India.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: slink on July 10, 2006, 04:41:46 pm
If India is exhaustion and arm injuries, and almost being hit by idiots on the wrong side of the road, I'm there.

My friend claims I'm getting close.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: side_show on July 10, 2006, 05:40:59 pm
July 10th, 12:38 PM - Still an Indian.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: side_show on July 13, 2006, 06:59:17 pm
July 13th, 1:56 PM - Still and Indian.  Tan darkening to more obviously brown tone.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Ben-San on July 13, 2006, 08:40:40 pm
7/13: India is increasingly a place I am not.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: wombat on July 13, 2006, 08:55:34 pm
Stop bumping this thread and giving me a craving for Indian food!  Please!
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: theinevitable on July 13, 2006, 09:58:41 pm
I watched a 20 minute video where Ravi Shankar explained the basic concepts of Indian music. It was really interesting, and I find the Sitar fascinating.

however, I am not in India. Nor am I heading towards India.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 13, 2006, 10:09:15 pm
Not today!
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: slink on July 14, 2006, 02:34:45 am
Nor am I heading towards India.

According to GPS measurements, India moved in the same direction as I did, at a slightly greater rate, thus travelling away from me.
I was also briefly ten miles further north of here.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AugustWest on July 14, 2006, 03:42:41 am
Today I was not in India.

Tomorrow I'm planning on not being in Nepal.

Saturday?  Not Bhutan.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 14, 2006, 05:38:11 am
Not today!
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: V-Adore on July 14, 2006, 05:45:54 am
I'm not understanding this thread today.

Tomorrow: also counterindicated.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Lister on July 14, 2006, 06:01:48 am
I have never been less in India than I am right now.

...

See?  That little pause?  I was closer to being in India then.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: theinevitable on July 14, 2006, 06:09:18 am
today a lot of ladies came in who were formerly In India. However, they are not there now.

logic would tell us that this means that I was not in India today.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Limmo on July 14, 2006, 02:30:58 pm
I'm going with my daughter's field trip to the Santa Monica Pier Aquarium, which will place me at least several hundred feet closer to India than I usually am!
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2006, 03:08:53 pm
I'm going with my daughter's field trip to the Santa Monica Pier Aquarium, which will place me at least several hundred feet closer to India than I usually am!

Are you closer to India by going west?  Have I been thinking about my proximity to India backwards?  I'm probably much closer to India than I thought.

~Paul
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 14, 2006, 03:13:18 pm
Paul - if you think about it, whichever way you move you are always in one direction or another that much closer to India.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: side_show on July 14, 2006, 05:49:11 pm
July 14th, 12:46 PM - Having spent the morning doing WASPy things like disinfecting the kitchen counter tops, I am reminded that I am half white.  Maybe I am not an Indian today?
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2006, 05:56:45 pm
Indians don't keep thier counters clean?  That is hella nasty.

~Paul
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Drygioni on July 14, 2006, 10:43:33 pm
Today I read a short story about an event happening in India. The lack of empathy I felt with the English girl in Delhi further reinforces the inescapable fact that I am neither A) Female or B) In India.

Maybe tomorrow.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Mite on July 14, 2006, 11:42:20 pm
Today I read a short story about an event happening in India. The lack of empathy I felt with the English girl in Delhi further reinforces the inescapable fact that I am neither A) Female or B) In India.

Maybe tomorrow.

<Scott Thompson>Oh Mom, by the way, I'm becoming an Indian woman.</Scott Thompson>
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 15, 2006, 04:35:27 am
MAYBE today!
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Limmo on July 15, 2006, 05:18:05 am
I am back in El Segundo now, and have resumed my standard distance from India.

But soon!

When I make my Ray money (by selling my soul to the devil for a magical Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Strat), we're ALL going to India. 

Or at least the Bombay Cafe (http://www.bombaycafe-la.com/) down on Pico.

Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Ben-San on July 15, 2006, 06:09:46 am
I'm watching Namaste America on public television. I'm a little closer to India in spirit if not physically.

Update: I Spy has come on, so my spirit has moved from India to 60s Hollywood Japan.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: smick on July 15, 2006, 09:00:46 am
I was in Indiana the other day.  That should be worth something.

India? Na.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: CortJstr on July 15, 2006, 04:40:54 pm
I am back in El Segundo now, and have resumed my standard distance from India.

I hear that's a popular place for people to leave their wallets.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 16, 2006, 10:07:02 am
Fred Sanford always cracked jokes about El Segundo back in the day, too.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 25, 2006, 07:17:52 am
I hear that's a popular place for people to leave their wallets.

Hell of hott fast food ladies.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 25, 2006, 07:36:04 am
Not today!
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Drygioni on July 25, 2006, 08:48:58 am
I came home, she lifted up my wings, I think that this must be the place.

But it is not India.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: misterqueue on July 25, 2006, 04:36:44 pm
I have tracked India through vast heathen jungles; sweaty and foreboding.  Though I can hear its hearkening footsteps taunting ahead of me, I have been unable to keep the lumbering beast down enough for me to capture its essence.

I know it will be my death, one day, soon; in this canopy battlefield of my soul.

But for today, no... no India.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: CortJstr on July 25, 2006, 04:55:25 pm
In the sense that all things are connected as part of a great oneness I am India. But in a much more real sense I am not there at all. Not even a little.

I do feel sorry for those poor bastards in the south Pacific who are as far from India as one can possibly get without actually leaving the planet.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 25, 2006, 05:33:43 pm
Id like to go to india
Live in a big white house in the forest
Drink gin and tonic and play a grand piano
Read a few books
Far from what saddens my heart
Try to live away from it

Find a new girl
Who says she feels the same
Get to know her after the trip
Bathe in a forest pool
Her life a part of mine
And let no one know until Im gone


Wouldn't we all, wouldn't we all.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 25, 2006, 07:31:50 pm
Can we kill this thread please?
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: jough on July 25, 2006, 07:50:22 pm
Each time I rock back and forth in my chair I get closer to India in some way.

I cannot move without in some way being closer to India.
Title: Re: TRIP TO INDIA!
Post by: slink on July 26, 2006, 12:16:39 am
I'm but a few hours from travel. Going far, far from India... Further still.