The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: theinevitable on July 08, 2006, 03:21:37 am
-
So, if I can get off work, I will totally be in Richmond the week after next with a friend.
Do any of y'all live around there, or know good places there?
-
ok, sorry, this was my awkward way of being like "HOBOT I AM COMING TO VISIT YOU" but now I remember that she is out of town.
so, there's that.
-
She also doesn't have Internet at home right now so she wouldn't have exactly known anyway.
WAY TO GO! AWKWARD!
-
yeah, well, the other option would have been to try to bring it up somewhere else.
geez! shut up Q!
-
Hey, it's not my fault that you are king of the uncomfortableness.
I mean.. just deal with it.
-
I can't! it's too uncomforta....
damnit!
-
So, if I can get off work, I will totally be in Richmond the week after next with a friend.
Do any of y'all live around there, or know good places there?
My last girlfriend was from Richmond. It was hell of lame. La Hacienda in Midlothian was good though.
Oh, and you should drive on the Po White Parkway. Just because it's there.
-
Oh, and you should drive on the Po White Parkway. Just because it's there.
Are you serious???
-
Are you serious???
Powhite Parkway (http://www.rmaonline.org/Facilities/parkway.html)
And of course everybody uses the official pronunciation...
-
Powhite Parkway (http://www.rmaonline.org/Facilities/parkway.html)
And of course everybody uses the official pronunciation...
Thank you - that made my day.
-
I may be in Iowa when you are in town.
You should go to Carytown (mostly to Plan 9, because they have a kick-ass LP collection in the basement). Agecroft (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nohobotic/sets/72157594190708485/) is worth visiting (and near Carytown), if you're into the tourist-y thing.
-
yeah um apparently I might not be able to go. because I suck at being a cashier. because I don't see the point in going as fast as I possibly can when there's only 1 person in the whole store. So, I might not be able to get the week off.
anyway, too bad you won't be there. I'll creepily hang out around your house and take a picture of it, so, you know.
If I can go, I hope I get a paycheck before that. Because buying vinyl is something I need to do.
although the place I go to in Charlotte is sooo cheap. (Bad Brains' I Against I for 7$! "Rock this Town" single by the Stray Cats for 6!)
edit: speaking of records... did I ever tell y'all about the record I bought for 50 cents that is apparently worth like 600$?
here. (http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4707379971)
-
Dude, if you're into old 80s vinyl I've got a tonne of it in my basement collecting dust. For postage I'll send you whatever you want.
List forthcoming.
-
wow.
that is a pretty fantastic thing.
...hobot might fight me for it.
-
Yeah, I have a video camera. We can make this work. I'm thinking a pay-per-view thing, or maybe a web site. Hot Hobot fighting action or something.
-
Hot Hobot fighting action
Dirty!
~Paul
-
Yeah, I have a video camera. We can make this work. I'm thinking a pay-per-view thing, or maybe a web site. Hot Hobot fighting action or something.
Mud, oil, or Jell-O?
-
Mud, oil, or Jell-O?
No... to the pain!
-
oh wierd. I had a dream that I met hobot just now. and I met her dad, and he was like "this is a boy from the Internet? What? what?"
but, because it was a dream, I was in Richmond because I was doing something for Science. so I was supposed to interview/examine ms. Hobot's father, but it was awkward for me to do this.
I have wierd dreams.
for some reason, most of the dream consisted of Hobot cooking various things while I tried to carry on a conversation.
-
I was in Richmond because I was doing something for Science. so I was supposed to interview/examine ms. Hobot's father, but it was awkward for me to do this.
They do have one of those kidteractive learnatoria there with the hands-on demonstration games and, I believe, an IMax movie.
-
They do have one of those kidteractive learnatoria there with the hands-on demonstration games and, I believe, an IMax movie.
The Science Museum of Virginia (http://www.smv.org/)! This is actually located somewhat near my house. But theinevitable, if you want some real science action, accompany me to work one day! I will anaesthetise pregnant mice in front of your very eyes, collect the still-living (hearts still beating) embryos from their womb, and suspend them in cryo-liquid! I will perform PCR, endlessly pipetting sample after sample after sample as your eyelids droop and your patience wears thin! I will photograph agarose gels and contaminate the labs with ethidium bromide, putting everyone at risk! The fun never ends when it is SCIENCE! time!
-
I will photograph agarose gels and contaminate the labs with ethidium bromide, putting everyone at risk! The fun never ends when it is SCIENCE! time!
Damn straight. The Science! lifestyle is a non-stop rollercoaster of fun and frolic!
The contamination bit reminds me of an short documentary made by a friend of mine last semester documenting an average day in her chemistry lab -- a day in which she, a woman of average height, constantly had to go on tiptoes or stand on stools in order to reach chemicals (most of which were not things you would want to drop) or operate equipment, and in which she got into any number of dangerous and unpleasant situations just because she was less than 5'10". It had an impressive moral ("if even this very new lab space built by an allegedly-progressive college is a goddamn deathtrap for women, is it any wonder that chemistry is a boys' club?") and was a pretty classic example of Fun In The Lab, Oh Boy.
-
Is it weird that there are three ladies on this board who have had torturing and/or executing rodents as part of their everyday work? Or is there just more of this going on American society than most of us imagine?
-
Hobot, you have made me want to cry that I probably won't be able to come.
I am such a bad cashier. SO BAD.
-
Hobot, you have made me want to cry that I probably won't be able to come.
Out of context'd!
-
Out of context'd!
Glad I wasn't the only one who read that inappropriately.
-
Hobot, you have made me want to cry that I probably won't be able to come.
Out of context'd!
Glad I wasn't the only one who read that inappropriately.
I didn't read it out of context. Thank you for pointing that out to me.
~Paul
-
yeah, I'm not going to be able to come at all.
sorry for getting your hopes up. I'm sure they'll let you return all the fine wine and delicious meals and condoms and such.
fun story: this couple came in and bought Wine, 2 Steaks, 2 potatos, butter, and lube.
the lube would not ring up.
I tried so hard not to laugh. I reached for the microphone to call for a price check.
and the lady got this horrified expression on her face, and then said "we won't be needing that."
"um, are you sure honey? *plaintively*"
"yes. We don't need it."
I feel like I already told this story.
-
In the event of lube it's always "the lube" and never "your lube." Try not to assign ownership in the event of lube.
-
Dude should look at it optimistically. Maybe she has a fetish for being caught buying something mundanely salacious amongst miscellany in a grocery store. Maybe, just maybe, she was saying "We don't need it because now I am all wet; let us away to the homestead where we will commence with the bumping and grinding!"
But yes.. probably not.
-
Maybe she just figured they'd use the butter instead.
-
Maybe she just figured they'd use the butter instead.
LAST TANGO'D!
*shudder*
-
Maybe she just figured they'd use the butter instead.
Clearly, dairy-based lube is the Way of the Future. These kids are trendsetters and they don't even know it.
-
no, they weren't kids. The lady was in her 30's, and the guy had greying hair. but in a way that suggested late 40's early 50's, not Actual Age.
-
no, they weren't kids. The lady was in her 30's, and the guy had greying hair. but in a way that suggested late 40's early 50's, not Actual Age.
I use "kids" as a term of endearment pretty indiscriminately. They don't have to be younger than me, or even young, for me to refer to them as such.