The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on July 11, 2006, 05:21:22 am

Title: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: jough on July 11, 2006, 05:21:22 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07112006

"You know how sad you get thinking about dead children."

I LOLed at Beef getting up and putting on a tie because a meal was so good.  Bravo.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: mrdna1 on July 11, 2006, 05:35:02 am
holy shit ... that last panel of Beef is Depressing.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Lister on July 11, 2006, 05:35:10 am
Last panel: "oh dog how did she know that"

Also: I don't know anything about dead children, but I have learned that dead puppies aren't much fun.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: nuero on July 11, 2006, 06:24:08 am
Haha, they money. Why don't I laugh at Achewood any more, ever :(
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: misterqueue on July 11, 2006, 06:30:23 am
Yes.. putting on a tie for food... yes.

Dead children don't do it to me but I have, many a time, gotten suddenly very interested in the sky.

Hey man.. the sky is a really interesting thing, y'know!  I-  I have something in my eye!  *runs out*
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Ben-San on July 11, 2006, 06:57:51 am
Bonus irony is derived from the tie-worthy dinner being veal.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: doomglobe on July 11, 2006, 07:25:27 am
That is such a good idea, looking up at the sky in order to evaporate excess moisture in order to prevent it from forming tears! I will try that the next time I am experiencing something bleak in public.

Emoticon of ironic inverted depressed false smiling.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Doc on July 11, 2006, 07:38:54 am
Good call from Ben-San, I noticed the veal at the beginning of the strip in a 'isn't Molly the sort of person who'd be against that in a wishy washy way?' way but I didn't connect it to the dead children.
Can this qualify as a theme without a third mention?
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: MrCB on July 11, 2006, 08:37:17 am
Once again, it is all about the eyebrows.

From Panel 1's Cute brows, to 2's concerned, and there is, in 5 and 6, an increasing anger at Beef for taking a job that he just knows will haunt him so.

If I ever die and they want to include a tasteful line drawing of me next to the full page obituary in the Times (London or New York, it bothers me not), I would like for Onstad to draw my eyebrows.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Hobot on July 11, 2006, 03:06:55 pm
Beef's new "gig" reminds me of Téodor's father being an actuary.  I am sure they would have a lot to discuss, and mutual tears to shed.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: V-Adore on July 11, 2006, 06:39:49 pm
Is it wrong that the only thoughts I'm really able to assemble about this strip are "veal marsala? Is that a real food? Does anyone prepare it and eat it? Could I, if I wanted to? Would it be good?" Because, I mean, dead children are sad, but you have to have priorities in life.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 11, 2006, 06:44:15 pm
"veal marsala? Is that a real food? Does anyone prepare it and eat it? Could I, if I wanted to? Would it be good?"

Yes yes yes yes 'n' yes (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_26986,00.html).
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: jough on July 11, 2006, 08:05:52 pm
I like Veal Marisa better.

Basically it's like Veal Marsala, but you eat it off Marisa Tomei's abdomen (http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MMPH/253167.jpg).
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 11, 2006, 08:11:39 pm
Yes yes yes yes 'n' yes (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_26986,00.html).

Not to mention yes! Also this recipe would probably be good with chicken; you should probably split the chicken breast and pound it flat first.

All of the REALLY good italian food has no noodles.

Also, Giada. Rawr.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: CortJstr on July 11, 2006, 08:29:22 pm
Not to mention yes! Also this recipe would probably be good with chicken; you should probably split the chicken breast and pound it flat first.

All of the REALLY good italian food has no noodles.

Also, Giada. Rawr.

Chicken marsala taunts me. Every time I look at an italian menu I see the description and think, "that sounds good." Then I see then I'm reading the description for chicken marsala and am disappointed. I find it somehow worse than the sum of its parts. Either that or I just really don't like the wine that's used in it.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: theinevitable on July 11, 2006, 10:52:25 pm
today, this lady came through the checkout buying Veal, 2 bottles of cheap crappy wine, and a carton of cigarretes.

Every time this happens, I want to cry.

also: if I see one more person slap a child, I will lose it. My plan is to pick up a 2-liter bottle of soda and just hurl it at the person's head.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 11, 2006, 11:13:27 pm
today, this lady came through the checkout buying Veal, 2 bottles of cheap crappy wine, and a carton of cigarretes.

Every time this happens, I want to cry.

also: if I see one more person slap a child, I will lose it. My plan is to pick up a 2-liter bottle of soda and just hurl it at the person's head.

Dude, do you need the job or not? Because, in customer service roles, you gotta eat the shit on your plate and smile about it all day long.

Maybe this is not the job for you.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Mite on July 11, 2006, 11:20:14 pm
Oh yeah man, my MIL switched from K-Mart to Target back in the day just because of the decrease in incidents of child abuse. That's rough stuff to watch. I want to put DFACS on speed dial every time I go shopping.

And Dawg, I think telling stories about customers is actually a perk of retail. I assumed that Mr. Inevitable was just being overly dramatic so as to humorously relay an otherwise painful fact of human existance.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 11, 2006, 11:44:41 pm
I did retail too...could killed some people.

The stories are good, but not always worth the cognitive pain of dealing with people all day long. Some folks can't handle it. Finding a better job is better than getting fired or worse...
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Mite on July 12, 2006, 12:59:26 am
Yeah, but everybody needs a little time to get broken in, y'know? I don't think anybody is born with the necessary ability to smile through clenched teeth.

If you're still bitching in a month, though, you're gonna have to get a better job. Got that?
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 12, 2006, 02:43:56 am
Chicken marsala taunts me. Every time I look at an italian menu I see the description and think, "that sounds good." Then I see then I'm reading the description for chicken marsala and am disappointed. I find it somehow worse than the sum of its parts. Either that or I just really don't like the wine that's used in it.

Try substituting equal parts port and sherry for Marsala and you will find it less cloying.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: AugustWest on July 12, 2006, 02:56:44 am
That is one disturbing avatar.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Lister on July 12, 2006, 03:10:02 am
That is one disturbing avatar.

In other words, Hi, Bobby!
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: jough on July 12, 2006, 03:51:16 am
That was the first avatar to ever creep me out, and yet I couldn't look away.  I think I may have to make that one my desktop background.

Nicely played, good sir.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Mite on July 12, 2006, 04:47:37 am
I think I may have to make that one my desktop background.

*Weeps*
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: theinevitable on July 12, 2006, 06:08:05 am
yeah, sorry about the bitching. I don't actually react with tears or slaps. I am just overly dramatic. Really, I try hard to be good at it and say "how are you today, ma'am?" to the lady who is screaming at her kid for, you know, looking at a toy. And I make chit-chat with little old ladies who are so nice. That part of the job is good.

I think I creeped out a lady today because I said "ma'am, that baby is beautiful." Seriously though, the baby was gorgeous.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: misterqueue on July 12, 2006, 10:13:06 am
I think I creeped out a lady today because I said "ma'am, that baby is beautiful." Seriously though, the baby was gorgeous.

You should always finish this statement out with "how much do you want for her?"


I'm just sayin'.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: jough on July 12, 2006, 02:46:54 pm
"How much for just five minutes with that gorgeous baby?"

Yeah, I don't know why you creep people out, theinevitable.  People must just be weird. :P
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: theinevitable on July 12, 2006, 05:15:18 pm
it isn't OK to tell someone their baby is beautiful? did I miss this somehow?

and to add to an earlier comment: I bitch about the people because people will listen to the fun stories. The things I actually hate are the things that suck about any such job-- the boredom, the standing for hours, etc. I know I will get used to it eventually. And I know that complaining about that is like complaining that eventually I'll die.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 12, 2006, 07:54:45 pm
That baby looks delicious works too.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Drygioni on July 12, 2006, 08:05:55 pm
Full list of alternatives:

"That baby looks SCRUMPTIOUS!"
"Man, that baby looks good enough to eat!"
"I love your kids... I could never eat them in one sitting though!" (followed by a quick smile, then a sombre expression)
"Good lord, what a strapping young lad you've got there!" (wide eyed emphasis on 'strapping' and a quick lick of the lips)
"What a little angel! Y'know, me and my boyfriend were thinking of adopting... We just can't find any kids though, we might even have to resort to stealing!" (All too long laugh)

Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 12, 2006, 08:19:08 pm
"Cute kid!  Not as cute as Carlos del Vaca's kids, though."
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: CortJstr on July 12, 2006, 10:53:25 pm
How much for the little girl? How much for the women? Your women. I want to buy your women. The little girl, your daughters... sell them to me. Sell me your children.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 13, 2006, 01:02:55 am
"I bet I could fit at least two fingers all the way in there."
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 13, 2006, 01:05:22 am
Eww.

I'm lockin' after that one. Anyone want to comment on the actual 11 July '06 strip, ask a mod to unlock.

I mean, really.
Title: Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2006, 06:09:06 am
Honestly, is there any reason not to just split that crap out and keep the thread open? I may do that tomorrow afternoon, when I'm, you know, coherent.