The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on July 11, 2006, 07:19:37 pm
-
After seeing this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1567512410/infoline-20/104-0094886-9082354), I began to think about last meals, and what my last meal would be. I'm paralyzed by the idea... I think of all the banal foods that speak to me of home, of the extravagant foods that I almost never, if ever, eat. Anyone here know what their last meal would be?
-
Anyone here know what their last meal would be?
Pussy!
~Paul
-
http://www.deadmaneating.com/ : is a website that seems like it is made by assholes, but still gives you the info in that book (sometimes they have the last words, but not always).
My last meal would probably be two really good New York Style cheese peices of pizza and nachos with cheddar cheese, japapenos, black beans, sour cream, that green hot sauce and guacamole. For dessert, really beany (I don't know if that is the way to describe it- rich) vanilla ice cream.
Edit: And two homegrown tomatoes, sliced, with salt. I can eat homegrown tomatoes like apples.
-
Well, everyone knows I suck at making a top ten, let alone choosing the single top thing...
Possibly Peking Duck. Maybe Hanoi Beef and Noodle Soup.
Thing is, even if I chose what to eat, I could never enjoy it as I'd be panicking as to whether I'd chosen the right music, or thing to watch or whatever. Well, at least I've discovered something else I need to learn not to care about.
-
NY pizza and chocolate ice cream. I decided this before reading Keith's answer, which then made me think, perhaps we are both making the wrong choice. Because surely if there is a Heaven the first thing they serve you is New York pizza and ice cream.
And then Slink's answer confused me - perhaps I want Chinese food instead? I think it depends on the circumstances. If this is a fantasy in which I can make sure I get the pizza from a particular place in Brooklyn or the Bronx, I'd go with that. In the real world I would choose something from a good local Chinese place instead of inferior pizza.
This reminds me - my last breakfast, in a fantasy world where I can get anything from anywhere, is one of those jelly doughnuts they only seem to make in NYC and that I can't even usually find there anymore.
-
I doubt I could eat knowing what was ahead. I think I'd rather have the chance to talk to my best friend or my mom or my wife and kids one last time.
I think the food would turn to ashes in my mouth.
-
giraffe 'n' chips with a pint of lager and a packet of crisps. It seems the right thing to do.
-
An entire bottle of Grey Goose and maybe a couple fingers worth of Laphroaig.
You think I'm joking? I'm not! I would want a huge amount to drink. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03122002)
Also, fresh homemade bread with sweet butter and about 3 million kisses from a girl whose lips taste of tawny wine and whose eyes sparkle with love and delight.
-
I'm with Paul. Pussy just before being shot by an irate husband.
-
Yea, thanks to Judy you can add 4 pints of Bass to my list.
-
I'm with Paul. Pussy just before being shot by an irate husband.
Clearly this is the choice if one could pick their method of execution.
I think I would go with orange-glazed spare ribs, cooked so tender the meat is just falling off the bone.
-
I doubt I could eat knowing what was ahead. I think I'd rather have the chance to talk to my best friend or my mom or my wife and kids one last time.
I think the food would turn to ashes in my mouth.
Of course, but there is a way to think of it that makes it a fun game. What would you like to be enjoying when suddenly a ten-ton weight falls on your head?
-
Of course, but there is a way to think of it that makes it a fun game. What would you like to be enjoying when suddenly a ten-ton weight falls on your head?
Spinach.
-
Of course, but there is a way to think of it that makes it a fun game. What would you like to be enjoying when suddenly a ten-ton weight falls on your head?
A Blowjob.
And complete enlightenment, of course.
Mention food and LO! ChoOOOOOOP!
What up, homes?
-
Spinach.
DING! DING! DING!
-
wombat - this is your last meal: you can order the pizza and the Chinese food.
AD - I agree, I was originally thinking my order would be for nothing too, but if it were my last day on earth, I think I would want to taste food, probably comfort food. (I can't help but notice most of the prisioners in the book chose things that the probably ate as a kid.)
Mr & Judy - from what I see, inmates don't seem to be allowed to order booze, but otherwise those are pretty smart choices.
I still have no idea what I'd want.
-
Spinach.
You get a tiny can (of spinach) for that one.
-
wombat - this is your last meal: you can order the pizza and the Chinese food.
No, I could never do that, they would be yucky together.
And there is definitely no chance I'd accidentally be eating them both when the ten-ton weight came down.
-
I once answered this question, and it largely depends on what the death penalty in the particular area is. If I was sentenced to death by electric chair, I would want my last meal to be 3 cups of popcorn kernels.
Then… they would be all "Any last words?"
I’d be all "Yes."
Then they’d be all "What is it?"
"You shoulda brought some butter." Then, POW! Popcorn everywhere.
-
I once answered this question, and it largely depends on what the death penalty in the particular area is. If I was sentenced to death by electric chair, I would want my last meal to be 3 cups of popcorn kernels.
Then… they would be all "Any last words?"
I’d be all "Yes."
Then they’d be all "What is it?"
"You shoulda brought some butter." Then, POW! Popcorn everywhere.
Dammit smick, on an unrelated note, your image has always looked like Shatner just furiously trying to jerk a dude off into his face. I hope this was on purpose. If not I can take solace in the fact that I've now ruined it for EVERYone.
-
Oh man... that just makes the avatar better for me.
-
Dammit smick, your avatar has always looked like Shatner just furiously trying to jerk a dude off into his face. I hope this was on purpose.
I assumed it to be.
~Paul
-
man, that popcorn thing is brilliant.
-
Okay, for reals this time:
- Aperitif cocktail: a margarita of Patron or Herradurra, Meyer Lemons, Key Limes, and a dash each of Gran Marnier and Angostura Bitters.
- Salad: Baby spinach and snapped green beans with a warm dressing of minced garlic and pancetta, extra virgin olive oil, 25-year balsamic vinegar, and an egg. Accompanied by Persimmon Creek 2001 Seyval Blanc (http://www.persimmoncreekwine.com/).
- Entree: Delmonico steak with a thyme and tarragon aioli, paired with a Don Melchor 2003 or 1995 Malbec.
- Pallete cleanser: Peach, kiwi, and pistachio gelati, with any bottle of Veuve Clicquot.
- Bonus entree: Hand-tossed pizza margherita, using only the authentic ingredients: 00 flour, crushed roma tomatoes, fresh minced basil, and fresh, hand-made bufala mozzarella. 1973 Rothschild Pinot Noir; failing that bottle, any reasonable Barbera d'Alba will suffice.
- Dessert: Mom's lemon meringue pie, with a snifter of La Strega and two cups of medium-roast Blue Mountain (no blends, damnit).
Here I have to concede that the last thing I want to eat is in fact pussy. There just can't be a better sendoff than that.
-
Crawgiraffe and Blue Crab with a shrimp po' boy flown in from this great little place in Pascagoula (assuming it's still there), with fresh sweet corn, a greek salad, sourdough bread, and a root beer float made with ice cream from the University of Wisconsin dairy. Oh, with a side of a nice scotch - aged in a port wine barrel, if possible. I think that'd do it.
Sad thing is, from the lists I've read, the poor guys (and gals) have to choose off of the regular prison menu. So you get dudes eating a burger with chicken fingers for their last meal. There's a website somewhere that lists all the last meals of texas inmates in a more concise form than the one Keith gave. Pretty depressing.
Oh, here (http://www.thememoryhole.org/deaths/texas-final-meals.htm) it is. Props to the guy who requested world peace.
-
Sweet Christ. This is fascinating. I am going through every member of this morbid list, looking at the last meals and the information of each individual prisoner. Some of it's heartbreaking; the ones who had nothing or eat the same meal as everyone else just strikes me as tragic.
-
One of the many times I saw Henry Rollins do spoken word, he went on for at least an hour about what a lovely man William Shatner is (because he is Canadian). I have to agree. Even commercials prove me right. What other celebrity cares as to whether you have regular bowel movements or not?*
*wait, do they air those commercials in the US?
-
I was surprised by how many wanted liver and onions. One of my favorites, but I didn't think it was very popular. Also, quite a few had breakfast food.
-
Wow. They're like amazing, tragic little short stories. The guy who wants just the relish tray and grilled cheese sandwiches and the one who declined a meal and then ate a hamburger at his mother's request. The ones who ordered almost everything on the menu and the one who just ate fruit and coconut and the one who just ate Cool Whip and cherries. Wow.
You know, I kind of like the idea of having to choose from the regular menu. Takes the pressure off. The fried chicken seems like the obvious place to start. And onion rings.
-
Sad thing is, from the lists I've read, the poor guys (and gals) have to choose off of the regular prison menu. So you get dudes eating a burger with chicken fingers for their last meal. There's a website somewhere that lists all the last meals of texas inmates in a more concise form than the one Keith gave. Pretty depressing.
Yeah, if you're on Death Row I doubt that the Taxpayers are going to spring for filet mignon or even Arby's. Maybe you could have a friend or loved one bring you your last meal? If so then I'd have my sisters bring me some hella tasty Indian vegetable korma with an order of Naan bread and some kheer (rice pudding with cardamom) for dessert. Then I'd also want a few chilly Stellas. That would be a good last meal.
If I was on Death Row and if I had to order something from the prison kitchen then I'd just go without a meal. Well, maybe I'd get some chicken strips and french fries. I'm just saying that because I'm back on the Hacker's Diet (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/) and I'm fuck*ng hungry. Yesterday I had 1125 calories and took an 8-mile hike out to this really pretty waterfall. Today I did a 25 minute stint on the elliptical and had an extravagant 2,200 calories. We'll see how tomorrow goes.
Also, can you imagine being a mother and hearing that your son is going to be executed? And that he refused his final meal because he is going to die anyway? And then you tearfully say, "Sweetie, at least have a hamburger. I worry about you." Damn. I'm getting all choked up at that thought. And now after today's comic I'm looking up at my light fixture on the ceiling and waiting for the ambient breezes to dry the tears that are welling in my eyes. THE SADDEST THING.
((EDIT))
Man, look at those guys, rapists and murderers and in their "sincerity" they list "world peace" or "request that my last meal be given to a homeless person." How ironic that they would learn about kindness and mercy only after killing someone and spending hard time in prison. And asking that your last meal be the Eucharist/Sacrament? Damn, maybe you should have read about Baby Jesus before you decided to stab two people to death. Call me hypocritical, but I don't give a fuck about these guys who have a "change of heart" in jail. Yeah, fine, the church takes my tithe and prints up "Christ the Prisoner" pamphlets for guys in jail. There's nothing more infurating than some sick fuck who decides to deprive someone else of life and liberty, and then smugly proclaim that he has been Forgiven by God. Man, fuck you.
-
From the book I referred to, the most common last meal was KFC chicken, and quite often accompanied by Dr. Pepper.
I've got mine now:
Drink: 2 liter bottle of Evian water
Appetizer: Fresh calamari, breaded and deep fried, with garlic-herb aioli
Meal: Fettuccine Alfredo
Etc.: One large bag of movie-theatre-style popcorn with hot butter
Basically my favorite food is popcorn. I'd definitely need the water. Who knows if I'd eat the rest?
-
Basically my favorite food is popcorn. I'd definitely need the water. Who knows if I'd eat the rest?
I'll talk to the warden. Maybe I could get bumped up, and go before you.
-
In the vein of Choops original suggestion: Canned asparagus, just because after eating that I don't think I'd care about dying so much.
I don't have a choice of my own but that list has a lot of T-bone steaks on it, kind of unimaginative.
-
Yeah, breakfast food. I'd probably have bacon and pancakes and stuff. Maybe some scrapple.
You know, all of that bad stuff that I'm not eating anymore. But I mean, if I was going to be dying in a few hours anyway, then why not?
-
For your consideration: This (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/deathrow/executed/russellj.jpg) is the guy that only asked for an apple.
Since when is texas letting people wear glasses in mug shots?
-
I read some list like that long ago and made a list of my own that was incredibly long and incredibly indulgent. It centered around rigitoni with vodka sauce and an entire chocolate cake. But the list was like, rediculously long, like... ludacrious, it was so long.
Maybe I just love(d) food too much, but I think there is a beautiful aspect of humanity in giving a death row inmate a last meal.
It says, like, "I don't even care how bad of a thing you've done... I know what you really want. Have a last meal on me. :wink:" As far as honor goes, it's basically the equivalent of a complete pardon.
-
The man Texas executed yesterday didn't request a last meal. (http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-07-12T001309Z_01_N11193183_RTRUKOC_0_US-CRIME-EXECUTION-TEXAS.xml)
Interesting thought about the tradition of the last meal being a humane gesture. I don't see it that way - certainly it's ironic to make a humane gesture before executing someone - but I can't argue with letting a condemned man have something they want that they can't otherwise get before dying.
-
The whole last meal thing is ridiculous, you're right. The U.S. is the only civilised country in the world that supports state-sponsored executions. Personally I'd rather not have the government kill people in my name. Given the current political climate, though, I think I'm in the minority on this issue.
What's next, giving a man a ham sandwich before you bone his wife?
-
What's next, giving a man a ham sandwich before you bone his wife?
Well yeah. I mean, it's the least you could do.
-
If anything the last meal is an indication that we know there's something fucked about about killing this person. If we really believed they were scum and deserved to die we wouldn't worry about humane treatment or last rights we'd give the bailiff at his trial a shotgun and they'd be ready to fire as soon as they heard guilty.
-
If we don't give the man his last request, his vengeful revenant will seek revenge. It's that simple.
-
If anything the last meal is an indication that we know there's something fucked about about killing this person. If we really believed they were scum and deserved to die we wouldn't worry about humane treatment or last rights we'd give the bailiff at his trial a shotgun and they'd be ready to fire as soon as they heard guilty.
Well. yeah, one thing that I was thinking was that in the past, there was a lot less process involved and individuals were mainly responsible for the death decision. Not the carrying out of the sentence, but the decision. I think if you had personal responsibility and you were right there with the individual, you might offer them a request. Not because you think it would make them feel better - but maybe to take the edge off the decision you just made...
On the other hand, now the decisions are made 10 years in advance, and the personhood of the doomed prisoner is reduced to legal briefs and filings throughout the appeals process. That's why, to me, the 'last meal' request is disingenuous to a degree. It's offered, it seems, more out of tradition than any actual human feeling toward the inmate.
Here's a thought - when a man or woman is condemned to death, the jury that came to the capital verdict with the understanding that it was a death penalty case should have to witness the execution, as must the prosecutor and judges involved in the original case and appeals. Making the death penalty more real to those involved in the process will probably work toward changing the process.
-
Making the death penalty more real to those involved in the process will probably work toward changing the process.
Even if it's 10 years away? I guess eventually they'd catch up with you, but I do think if you had 10 years before you watched anyone die, you might not consider in the same way as if you had to watch it tomorrow, and if you had already watched a number of death penalties being carried out.
But then I'm English so I'm comfortably against the death penalty altogether and have to think about it less anyway...
-
What's next, giving a man a ham sandwich before you bone his wife?
I don't eat meat, and am against the institution of marriage. You cannot win with me sir!
-
The whole last meal thing is ridiculous, you're right. The U.S. is the only civilised country in the world that supports state-sponsored executions. Personally I'd rather not have the government kill people in my name. Given the current political climate, though, I think I'm in the minority on this issue.
What's next, giving a man a ham sandwich before you bone his wife?
Oh man, could you imagine if a ham sandwich was the specific sign? You are sitting there, minding your own business, when up walks a government appointed official who hands you a ham sandwich. And you just know. And everyone around you knows. A silence falls over the room. But you are a man. You take a bite. You chew. You swallow. You nod. The official leaves.
-
oh man, that is such good short film. it would be so black and white, and pretentious, and great.
I'm sorry. I'm still at the point of my life where I think things like that are awesome.
but maybe you do too?
-
Not only black and white but silent. Preferably 1950s era.
The man wears a fedora, the government official is dressed something like a parking inspector and wears a sensible mustache.
As he hands the sandwich to the man the woman in a bonnet sitting next to him clasps a hand over her mouth to stifle a gasp.
The man looks to the sandwich and then the official, no words are exchanged only a brief nod of thanks on the part of a man, recognition of a hard job done well.
He takes a bite.
Fin.
-
You must be a fine playwright, Mel. Well I mean of course I knew you were, but to see you carve emotion out of a message board post like that is pretty sweet.
-
mel-- I am even more impressed with your Playwright-itude because yesterday a guy told us how Hard it is to be a playwright, and how much horrible crap must go down, and how unfortunate the Lifestyle often is.
This man was Lewis Black. It was Mr. Lewis Black, who I shook the hand of, and got him to sign a piece of paper. Unfortunately, my camera was in my car (I got a ride there with a friend).
I am sorry that this was a tenuous link. I just wanted to bring up that I got to See Him and Shake his Hand.
But for real, he did say that writing sucks, and playwrighting sucks even more. And that you have to really love it to stick with it, etc. So props to Smells.
-
mel-- I am even more impressed with your Playwright-itude because yesterday a guy told us how Hard it is to be a playwright, and how much horrible crap must go down, and how unfortunate the Lifestyle often is.
This man was Lewis Black. It was Mr. Lewis Black, who I shook the hand of, and got him to sign a piece of paper. Unfortunately, my camera was in my car (I got a ride there with a friend).
I am sorry that this was a tenuous link. I just wanted to bring up that I got to See Him and Shake his Hand.
But for real, he did say that writing sucks, and playwrighting sucks even more. And that you have to really love it to stick with it, etc. So props to Smells.
I hate to derail things even more, but...
theinev - it is a staggeringly small world: I know Lewis' son Ryan Black, (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0085496/) who performed in my first dramaturge Ian Ross' play "FarWel" about 12 years ago, and Lewis' granddaughter Mary, who is 12 and was in a play I produced last year. I've never met Lewis, but whenever I see him on T.V. I can't help but think of his son and grand daughter and how much both of them look like him.
Anyway, yeah, writing - and especially playwriting- takes a lot of serious thought and care. Most of the time I spend here on the board is the time I'm actually spending in my head trying to solve issues with the script. It's getting there though. I was re-reading it yesterday after some serious re-writes, and at 67 pages and growing, there are large chunks that I think are working pretty well.
-
good. it is good that your writing is going well.
his sage advice to my friend: "if you don't start out doing what you want to do, you're fucked. If you do what you want to do, you'll eventually end up finding a way to make it work." and then some stuff about how at first he wanted to write books, then he wanted to write plays, then he wanted to be a comedian, etc.
his advice to me: "wait. wait. you're getting a book signed for a guy who isnt' here, and a piece of paper for yourself? screw him! take the book!"
the worst part is, the other guy is a guy who I basically hate. But I am a Man of Honor, and the fellow who was originally supposed to get the signature for him asked me to please get it as a favor. So I did.
"To Daniel-- Lewis Black"
best signature ever.
-
good. it is good that your writing is going well.
his sage advice to my friend: "if you don't start out doing what you want to do, you're fucked. If you do what you want to do, you'll eventually end up finding a way to make it work." and then some stuff about how at first he wanted to write books, then he wanted to write plays, then he wanted to be a comedian, etc.
his advice to me: "wait. wait. you're getting a book signed for a guy who isnt' here, and a piece of paper for yourself? screw him! take the book!"
the worst part is, the other guy is a guy who I basically hate. But I am a Man of Honor, and the fellow who was originally supposed to get the signature for him asked me to please get it as a favor. So I did.
"To Daniel-- Lewis Black"
best signature ever.
I assume this was his book Nothing's Sacred. He came to the bookstore up the street when that was released (this was also the day before he was at the Congressional Correspondents Dinner and he was nervous as hell. He said the same thing about being fucked (re: him being a bad playwright). Then during the Q&A one woman just says, "hi Lewis, remember me?" It was his senior prom date.