The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: slink on September 14, 2003, 01:52:01 pm

Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: slink on September 14, 2003, 01:52:01 pm
Put a new car in Onstad's driveway.

Sorry, maybe I'm just being overly cynical.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: andalucia on September 15, 2003, 02:29:10 am
It's still not as bad as that grotesque movie ad that throws the whole page out of whack.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 04:08:50 am
Maybe Onstad is just too lazy to come up with new shirt designs or to put together a new book.

I'm sure someone on here has enough free time to figure out if there's a book's worth of new material available to collect yet.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 15, 2003, 04:10:34 am
Maybe they'll try to sell a Variety Hour collection.

WooHoo!
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: Noah on September 15, 2003, 07:15:07 am
Or maybe he just needs money.
Title: Re: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: Lane on September 15, 2003, 01:00:01 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Put a new car in Onstad's driveway.


I think you are drastically underestimating the cost of a car.

And re: the movie ad, it only throws the page out of whack if you are scrolling down.  What are you looking at, 640x480?  Seriously, guys.  Those of us who mistakenly subscribed to Serializer have seen the future of pay-to-read Achewood, and it is not pretty.  Don't harsh on him for solicitation as long as the comic is free.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 15, 2003, 02:19:25 pm
Duuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh, what are we talking about here??
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 02:46:53 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Maybe Onstad is just too lazy to come up with new shirt designs or to put together a new book.

I'm sure someone on here has enough free time to figure out if there's a book's worth of new material available to collect yet.

Well Volume 1 covered creation–Jun '02 and volume 2 covered Jun–Dec

So even factoring in missed strips and the 3/week era the range of Jan–Sep should still be enough material for a V2-size book.

The books seem to sell very well, especially the personalized ones, and I don't remember anybody complaining about V2 being a good chunk slimmer than V1 so I don't see any reason for him to hold off too long on V3.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 02:48:28 pm
He might sell more books if he included more original material in them - maybe some more recipes, or a few Serializer strips or something.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 02:53:44 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Duuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh, what are we talking about here??


The PayPal button just under the strip on the main page. It's been there since Thursday or so.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 03:08:44 pm
Well, his meal ticket wife is leaving him, so I guess he'll have to pay the rent and expenses on his own.

That liquor don't pay for itself!
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 03:10:57 pm
And it's funny - I saw this thread before I saw the new ad for donations (previously it had just asked you to join the "Friends of Achewood") and thought that the message "Put Brew in Lyle's Hand... Put a New Car in Onstad's driveway" meant that Onstad would somehow become wealthy just by writing more strips with Lyle in them.

Like: "Feature Lyle and that's just Solid Gold, baby!"
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: V-Adore on September 15, 2003, 03:17:06 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Like: "Feature Lyle and that's just Solid Gold, baby!"

Well, let's face it -- Lyle strips tend to get incredibly good reactions. I'm surprised he hasn't started Lyle-based merchandising yet; it probably would be gold.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: slink on September 15, 2003, 03:31:56 pm
Quote from: "jough"

Like: "Feature Lyle and that's just Solid Gold, baby!"


That is true actually. I could go a Lyle T-shirt. Especially if it was one of the early ones with maybe him in bed ill with a spliff. Would transmit my personality perfectly.
But, alas, I was only noting Onstad's change of tone on the paypal request, and though it was somewhat tacky.
I mean it may just be me, but I'd be more prone to give the guy money if he just said - "I'm broke, and I'm going to have give up on Achewood if I don't pay the bills, so give me some cash".
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 03:34:19 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "jough"
Well, his meal ticket wife is leaving him...


I don't know your source on that, but it would explain a great deal.


I have no source - I was just speculating.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: ferocious j on September 15, 2003, 08:46:06 pm
Jough, did you play together with Onstad as a child?  Did he take away your favorite ball or chew toy?  Almost every post you make that mentions his name tries to bring him down hard, real personal-style, as if you had suffered some deep emotional hurt at his hands sometime in the past -- like a jilted bride who keeps the almost-used wedding veil in her living room on a dressform as a constant reminder of the suffering she endured at the hands of That Damn Bastard.  Please -- let it go.  Come into the light.  It's not only dark where you are, it smells of moldy cardboard and long-nursed bitterness.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: slink on September 15, 2003, 08:55:38 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Jough, did you play together with Onstad as a child?  Did he take away your favorite ball or chew toy?


That damn sand box again!
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 09:01:08 pm
I knew Onstad in college.  He stole my girl once, and I've never forgiven him for it.  Oh wait.  No, I stole *his* girl.  Then I left her duct-taped to the radiator.

Man, I'd forgotten all about that.  I feel so much better now.

I'M SO GLAD WE HAVE THIS BOARD SO WE CAN EXORCISE OUR PERSONAL DEMONS.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2003, 09:11:03 pm
I'm making my personal demons do 45 minutes on the elliptical machine, then we're throwing a medicine ball back and forth for a while.  We may take up Pilates next week.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: wombat on September 15, 2003, 10:04:55 pm
If you can make your personal demons exercise that much, let me know if you can figure out how to get them to do the cooking and cleaning.  Mine are sure not pulling their damn weight around here.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: AugustWest on September 16, 2003, 04:09:11 am
Well, the past week or so, they've just been eating and drinking a lot, so I've gotta motivate 'em back to the gym post haste.

I've never had much luck with trying to make my demons do much cleaning.  Nobody has to force them to cook -- they like that too much.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: doomglobe on September 16, 2003, 07:19:23 am
I dont see why people spend so much time on this board if all they are gonna do is bitch about onstad. Onstad doesnt even read it. its like shooting a defensless giraffe in the back. with a water gun. in front of a bunch of people who admire the giraffe. or at least enjoy the things the giraffe produces...

Seriously I read like half of this thread and it was all wasting my time and I was all wishing the mods had deleted it so I could have read a thread that had any pertinence to achewood at all.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: ferocious j on September 16, 2003, 05:57:54 pm
At least doomglobe is on board my bus.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: jough on September 16, 2003, 06:00:56 pm
I think you mean he's "riding" your "caboose."
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: jay-ell on September 16, 2003, 07:41:24 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
At least doomglobe is on board my bus.


<insert short bus joke here>

Just joking.  I love all you cynical, jaded hipsters.  You're my respective cups of teas.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 16, 2003, 08:14:49 pm
Although I agree the thread may not be constructive, it's well within everyone's right to opine.

You said yourself Onstad doesn't read the board. If the giraffe isn't in the pond and everyone's shooting into the pond, no harm done to the 'defenseless' non-existent giraffe. I suppose any message board discussing international politics should disband because Yasser Arafat doesn't read it. We have threads that mention the Ramones and Johnny Cash. Also useless by the same test, I guess.

My suggestion would be to get on that bus you say you are on and either smoke something that mellows you out, or drive it to a thread you like.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: V-Adore on September 16, 2003, 08:33:06 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
its like shooting a defensless giraffe in the back. with a water gun. in front of a bunch of people who admire the giraffe. or at least enjoy the things the giraffe produces...

This analogy is so convoluted that it twists around into the fourth dimension and thus is frighteningly awesome.

That's really all I have to say on this one.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: ferocious j on September 16, 2003, 08:58:37 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Although I agree the thread may not be constructive, it's well within everyone's right to opine.

There's a difference between talking about the man's work and making poor, vicious jokes about the man's personal life.  That shit is low-class and would not fly on any sort of message board I know of (and I'm on about twelve).  I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this pattern; I just wanted to call it out and see if anyone else would say anything.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: slink on September 16, 2003, 09:19:42 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
There's a difference between talking about the man's work and making poor, vicious jokes about the man's personal life.  That shit is low-class and would not fly on any sort of message board I know of (and I'm on about twelve).  I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this pattern; I just wanted to call it out and see if anyone else would say anything.


Is it really that big a deal, given that it's all in a light-hearted fashion and the giraffe isn't here?
Jeeez.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: wombat on September 16, 2003, 09:32:21 pm
Well, I for one have been thinking there is too much meanness on the board lately, but I haven't been able to think of a way to say it that didn't sound all Phillippe and naive.  But, if someone finds a person's work interesting enough to post on a messageboard that entirely owes its existence to that person's work, why would they feel the need to express so much personal hostility?  Even as a joke? I don't get it. Is it some kind of guy thing, how you can only show you like someone by punching them?

And, you don't know that Onstad doesn't read it.  It's the internet, anyone can be reading anything.

OK, fine, I guess I need to go put on my Batman pajamas and find someone to read me a soothing bedtime story now.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: Mimosa VII on September 16, 2003, 09:38:05 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "ferocious j"
There's a difference between talking about the man's work and making poor, vicious jokes about the man's personal life.  That shit is low-class and would not fly on any sort of message board I know of (and I'm on about twelve).  I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this pattern; I just wanted to call it out and see if anyone else would say anything.


Is it really that big a deal, given that it's all in a light-hearted fashion and the giraffe isn't here?
Jeeez.


Well, at least it's annoying and kind of disturbing. If you hate Achewood and Onstad so much why are you on this messageboard, why do you host it? I feel just like Doomglobe in this respect. By the way, why does everyone seem to think the donations button means Onstad is broke?

Edit: I shouldn't have bothered with that post as Wombat put it much better at the same time. I feel the same way.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: andalucia on September 16, 2003, 09:38:26 pm
Would 'Goodnight Moon' be acceptable?
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: wombat on September 16, 2003, 09:41:15 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Would 'Goodnight Moon' be acceptable?


I think "In the Night Kitchen" would be most appropriate to my role here.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: slink on September 16, 2003, 10:17:49 pm
Quote from: "Mimosa VII"
If you hate Achewood and Onstad so much why are you on this messageboard, why do you host it? I feel just like Doomglobe in this respect. By the way, why does everyone seem to think the donations button means Onstad is broke?


Well, I don't by any means hate Onstad or Achewood. And have on many occasions actually protected the guys hostile reactions to things, since I would act in much the same way.
The only thing I have ever been nasty about here is the VH, which in my opinion sucked.
And I said on commenting on the Paypal button that I was probably just being cynical. And anyway, why else would he be asking for money? If he's not broke then it's a bit underhanded asking for money when he sells merchandise surely?

And anyway, it's all getting too damn serious again...
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 16, 2003, 10:22:00 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Although I agree the thread may not be constructive, it's well within everyone's right to opine.

There's a difference between talking about the man's work and making poor, vicious jokes about the man's personal life.  That shit is low-class and would not fly on any sort of message board I know of (and I'm on about twelve).


This is a point well taken - it goes to what you might call 'community standards' and who sets them. There are probably white supremacist message boards that say lots of objectionable things, but the majority of them and/or the owner of the board sort of drive the standard.  And nice people like you and me don't go there because it's not our thing. Yes, people say mean things here. I've taken many of the 'mean' things said here in the context of the person speakings personality. And the fact that I have read every post here from day one and I'm just now getting a bead on some people's personality. I haven't seen anything that really bothers me in terms of an attack yet. My sensitivity level to that sort of thing isn't as high as some others here.

Is the shit (as defined above) low-class? Yup. Would it not fly on other message boards? Maybe not. It's all good until the board owner or the mods say otherwise. The rest of us can pipe up or vote with our feet, but it really isn't a democracy when you get down to it. It could, however be a board with only mods and an owner... If people don't like it enough to leave.

I'm staying.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: jough on September 16, 2003, 10:26:54 pm
I see no reason to stick your tongue up a man's ass just because you like his work.

I mean, if you are hoping Onstad may notice you defending him and visit you to give you many smooches, that's up to you.  I don't think anyone has once made fun of your sycophantic crush on Onstad (albeit mostly because it's just sad).

I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's not above criticism.  All art is subject to debate and criticism.  This is how the world works.  Hate to be the one to break it to you.

WELCOME TO HUMANITY
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: beverly on September 16, 2003, 10:31:11 pm
I'm the bus DRIVER
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: wombat on September 16, 2003, 11:26:36 pm
Quote from: "jough"
 I don't think anyone has once made fun of your sycophantic crush on Onstad (albeit mostly because it's just sad).

I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's not above criticism.  All art is subject to debate and criticism.


I totally deny this, I am SO OVER him... mostly.

I don't think anyone is above criticism.  It's just a question of tone.

I think it's time to crawl back to my burrow now.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: ferocious j on September 16, 2003, 11:32:38 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I see no reason to stick your tongue up a man's ass just because you like his work.

At no point was this ever suggested by me, either literally or figuratively.  In fact, on the converse side, I see no reason to constantly bag on the guy just because he isn't producing work you enjoy.  How about a modicum of respect?  Wouldn't you say that's deserved?

Quote from: "jough"
I don't hate Onstad, I just think he's not above criticism.  All art is subject to debate and criticism.  This is how the world works.  Hate to be the one to break it to you.

There is a clear and discernible difference between talking shit about a man's work and cracking wise about how his wife is leaving him.  

The former: Talking shit about the guy's work.  A reasonable thing to do in the context of criticism of a work of art.
The latter: Talking shit about the guy/his personal life.  In my view, not a reasonable thing to do anywhere except maybe on the playground when you're six.

A lot of your posts have been full of the latter type of material as well as the former.  I understand people like to criticize, but criticism that includes childish ad-hominem attacks for no apparent reason is fuck*ng lame.  If you're seriously unable to make this mental distinction, I can't help you.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: V-Adore on September 17, 2003, 01:33:48 am
Honestly? My thoughts on the matter:

1) Ad hominem attack on Onstad is not rad, but...
2) I was not under the impression that anybody was doing it in a way intended as anything beyond spoof at this point.
Also,
3) It really hasn't reached a point that complaining about it is anything other than counterproductive to the purpose of this boards, which includes discussion and consideration of Achewood.

That said...
4) I call "Hawkwind Mythology" as either about a band or as a sad remnant of Lyle's adolescence, where he probably spent a couple of months playing D&D and smoking weed. And eventually discarding the D&D.
Title: Put Brew in Lyle's hand...
Post by: jay-ell on September 17, 2003, 01:43:05 am
The way I see it, some people are just jerks, and some otherwise nice people act like jerks every now and then, and no matter what you do or say, when you put enough monkeys together in a room, some poo is going to get flung.  You can be insulted and you can be pissed off, but if you're in the room, you're still going to be covered in poo.  

While I think that Jough pushes the envelope sometimes, the truth of the matter is that if you hang around long enough you learn not to believe anything he says and you just take it all with a grain of salt.  Yeah, I think joking about someone's personal trauma, real or (as in this case) imagined, is in poor taste, well, you just can't tell people what they can and can't think.  

What you can do, however, is lock the hell out of threads.