The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: andalucia on September 15, 2003, 02:28:41 am

Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: andalucia on September 15, 2003, 02:28:41 am
Today at Value Village (canadian chain of huge thrift stores), I saw a young hipster-ish guy in an explodingdog Red ***** shirt.  I was too shy to go up and compliment him on it, but it made my day.  Have any of you ever had anyone recongize you as a fellow X Internet Phenomenon geek in the real world?
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: andalucia on September 15, 2003, 02:29:38 am
gar.... make that "Red #*#*#"....
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: V-Adore on September 15, 2003, 02:54:03 am
It's never happened to me (I only have Achewood, Wigu, and Goats shirts, none of which have ever gotten recognition here), but it's happened in reverse -- it's very cool to see an acquaintance in a geekly shirt and give them mental props.
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 02:40:38 pm
I've had conversations started because of a band shirt (Mary Prankster) and essentially picked a girl up because of my Tick shirt but have had no reactions yet to Todd's van or my Special Boy hoodie
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: wombat on September 15, 2003, 03:50:12 pm
I've never had a reaction to my Science shirt, but I've practically stopped wearing my Wigu "I am made of Poison shirt" because of how many comments it gets from people who seem weirded-out by it.  I just got tired of explaining, and not well.
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: sjlimmer on September 15, 2003, 05:04:15 pm
A while back, I noticed that a teller at the local bank had a DS comic printed out and tacked up in her workspace.  When I asked her about it, and she saw the "I'm a rocker..." sticker on my CD player, she declared me her favorite customer of the day (the bank had been open for about 10 minutes at this point).

Also, while in San Diego for a conference last month, I saw a guy with a Strongbad t-shirt in a Greek restaurant.

No comments yet on the achewood buttons on my bag, or stickers on my CD player.

I need to get over my only-wearing-t-shirts-under-button-down-shirts phase, and buy a Science shirt one of these days.
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: V-Adore on September 15, 2003, 06:48:48 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I've never had a reaction to my Science shirt, but I've practically stopped wearing my Wigu "I am made of Poison shirt" because of how many comments it gets from people who seem weirded-out by it.  I just got tired of explaining, and not well.

Ohhh yes. I managed to get a semi-amused/semi-confused reaction last week from a middle-aged woman about my "Ceci n'est pas une potato" shirt. The shirt itself is rad, but it doesn't tend to gather knowledgeable reactions.
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 07:05:22 pm
That's because that shirt requires a knowledge of both Wigu AND Rene Magritte.  Not a common combination.
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: wombat on September 15, 2003, 07:33:00 pm
Yeah, I have that shirt too, and it's much safer to wear, I suppose it's too confusing for anyone to comment on.
Title: communique
Post by: satchel on September 18, 2003, 07:53:05 pm
I have a ravenous eye peeled for any sign of online comic coolness manifested by any one in any way around here.
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: beverly on September 18, 2003, 11:52:22 pm
I saw someone wearing a GET YOUR WAR ON shirt at a concert once; she wasn't alone, so I didn't talk to her
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: V-Adore on September 19, 2003, 02:23:23 am
I am pondering buying a Cat and Girl Viking shirt, in the hopes that it'll increase the average recognizability of my comic shirts (well, that and that I'm going to school at the artist's alma mater, which means I feel obliged to represent). I'm not sure about it, though; maybe I should go straight to the red *#*#*?
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: blim8183 on November 14, 2003, 08:39:14 pm
My friend and I saw a guy wearing an Achewood shirt on campus and both freaked out. While we were freaking out about it he walked away though and we didn't get a chance to compliment him on the shirt.

A couple days later we e-mailed Chris Onstad about the status of our order and also mentioned seeing his merchandise around NYC and he replid by saying it freaks him out everytime that happens to him.
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: Squee! on November 19, 2003, 04:31:16 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Also, while in San Diego for a conference last month, I saw a guy with a Strongbad t-shirt in a Greek restaurant.


There are so many Homestar fans here (San Diego, I mean).  I see all those shirts all the time.  It is so awesome.

But no Achewood.  Or DS.  Or Wigu.  etcetera.  ..sad face..
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: CortJstr on November 19, 2003, 05:20:26 pm
A guy recognized my Special Boy hoodie at UVa last month. He said he'd never actually seen any of the merchandise before.
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: V-Adore on November 19, 2003, 08:58:30 pm
My Japanese class has a lot of this stuff -- one guy owns both a Homestar hoodie and an 8-Bit Theater shirt, which is some sort of divine concordance.

I do, however, have a disturbing trend of getting bugged by professors about my Wigu-related shirts. (My Neuroscience prof appears to dig my "Not a Doctor" shirt, which is good, but having a really awkward conversation last week with my Japanese professor about my "ceci n'est pas une potato" shirt just got really odd really fast.)
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: side_show on November 20, 2003, 04:06:31 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I do, however, have a disturbing trend of getting bugged by professors about my Wigu-related shirts. (My Neuroscience prof appears to dig my "Not a Doctor" shirt, which is good, but having a really awkward conversation last week with my Japanese professor about my "ceci n'est pas une potato" shirt just got really odd really fast.)


This reminds me of a scene from "Lost in Translation:"  there is a wonderful scene where Bill Murray's character meets a Japanese man in a bar who speaks no English, but fluent French and attempts a conversation with him.  I highly recommend this movie to anyone it's got a decent ammount of depth for a comedy.
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2003, 09:01:25 pm
I saw lots of homestar and strongbad shirts at the Weird Al show a couple of months ago.

~Paul
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: Twelvebottoms on November 24, 2003, 08:49:03 pm
I saw an American wearing a Homestar T-shirt in Florence, Italy.  Do I win €5?
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: jough on November 24, 2003, 08:52:23 pm
Quote from: "Twelvebottoms"
I saw an American wearing a Homestar T-shirt in Florence, Italy.  Do I win €5?


No, but you have to pay us each 40 euros for asking.

Welcome to the board.  We accept Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: Twelvebottoms on November 24, 2003, 09:03:07 pm
I'll give you €80 each if you can tell me if Leisuretown has been archived, and where.

(not really)
Title: Shirts as communication
Post by: V-Adore on November 24, 2003, 09:51:05 pm
Quote from: "Twelvebottoms"
I'll give you €80 each if you can tell me if Leisuretown has been archived, and where.

The burning question, indeed...