The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Limmo on July 18, 2006, 03:06:07 am
-
For a second there, I thought Little Nephew was going to the Mike Stonetower School (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07182006).
But perhaps he will fuck up badly enough tomorrow for Uncle Ray to change his mind.
Fix'd link. -- Jough
ETA: Sorry.
-
Nice flip at the end, though. The zen of Ray in action, folks.
-
So is self-trained-marine above or below backyard-wrestler on the Sad Scale?
-
So is self-trained-marine above or below backyard-wrestler on the Sad Scale?
Below, unless the self-trained Marine actually spends legitimate time in the military, I'd say.
I'm surprised by the amount of empathy used here by Ray. It's... like he's being thoughtful or something. Whoa!
-
I HAVEN'T DONE THE ALL-CAPS THING IN A WHILE AND NOW I CANNOT STOP
-
Huh. Onstad got the area code right.
-
Heh! I was at first mystified as to why Ray would turn the page. But maybe Ray's getting some nostalgic visions of him and Beef as kids, and realizing that even though he tried to play like he was a pimp in tortoiseshell Vuarnets that his chunkity ass would get sent to that school even quicker than Little Neph. Perhaps he had a moment of compassion.
Also, have we had a discussion about the genesis of Little Nephew? From whence did he come? Whose kid is he? Beef has the total crap-dude twin brother of Showbiz, but how did LN end up with Uncle Ray? Is there anything in the Achewood universe to substantiate how he came to live with Ray, or has the overall character development purposefully avoided his origins?
-
He lives with Ray for the same reason Huey, Dewey and Louie live with Donald.
-
So he can molest him?
-
the ultimate title for this thread would have been "hey did anyone else get a picture of a naked asian dude with a wierd cock?"
also: Little Nephew is Ray's "Boy Ward."
-
Who is going to be the first to try that phone number?
-
Me. I am.
-
I think this is where we get into Achewood Hypertime. There seems to be no indication that Little Nephew lived with Ray when we were first introduced to him, or even when he showed up in the Party arc; much like Pat's dickishness, it seems to have been retconned in (and yes, I feel like more of a chunkity-ass nerd for using that term). Another question: why has LN apparently grown up in a more or less real-time fashion (remember, back at the Party he seemed pretty young) while Philippe has been five for years and has a wildly fluctuating maturity level?
-
Well there's always the Phillipe is a 30 year old and mentally disabled possibility.
-
Well there's always the Phillipe is a 30 year old and mentally disabled possibility.
DONNY SAYS VACUUM!
But yeah. Nephews living with rich uncles is a longstanding fictional tradition. Think of him as the Fresh Prince of Achewood Estates if it makes you feel more comfortable.* It's simply a linear progression from the dead wife syndrome that terrorized 1950's sitcom families. If this were the 80s he would be an adopted orphan.
*I'm now imagining what the sitcom centered on LN's life would be like. Probably all airing on UPN and starring someone with a recording contract. You'd meet his crazy classmates from school and he'd play pranks on Mr. Bear and go to Lyle for life advice.
-
Well there's always the Phillipe is a 30 year old and mentally disabled possibility.
The weird thing about this is the general progression in the strip has been from the "Philippe is a mentally disabled adult or otherwise 'not all there'" idea prevalent early on to the more recent idea of "Philippe is actually a child." It's possible that that just reflects changing reactions of characters to Philippe, but it's still changing in sort of weird ways.
-
DONNY SAYS VACUUM!
But yeah. Nephews living with rich uncles is a longstanding fictional tradition. Think of him as the Fresh Prince of Achewood Estates if it makes you feel more comfortable.* It's simply a linear progression from the dead wife syndrome that terrorized 1950's sitcom families. If this were the 80s he would be an adopted orphan.
*I'm now imagining what the sitcom centered on LN's life would be like. Probably all airing on UPN and starring someone with a recording contract. You'd meet his crazy classmates from school and he'd play pranks on Mr. Bear and go to Lyle for life advice.
If it were the 80's he'd be an adopted orphan of another race. In Achewood terms I'm not sure if that means another breed of cat or another animal entirely. Also, we're all going to need to remember to update our UPN and WB jokes to CW jokes.
I swear the alt-text said something about a trampoline yesterday...
-
Yah, it said he trained by jumping off his roof onto a trampoline. My guess is Onstad doesn't want to get sued when some impressionable young Achewood fan dies emulating it.
-
Another question: why has LN apparently grown up in a more or less real-time fashion (remember, back at the Party he seemed pretty young) while Philippe has been five for years and has a wildly fluctuating maturity level?
I always figured because it was a cartoon and Onstad can do whatever the hell he wants with the characters.
-
I enjoyed the line, "the way things are these days, he is probably a nerd." It is as if becoming a nerd is unavoidable at present. Perhaps it is similar to the Joe Camel phenomenon of making kids smoke cigarettes; advertisements of video games and the like are turning kids into nerds without their knowledge or consent. Not to mention the unsavoury influence of that goddamned Internet.
-
Yah, it said he trained by jumping off his roof onto a trampoline. My guess is Onstad doesn't want to get sued when some impressionable young Achewood fan dies emulating it.
He was probably laying in bed and thought "what if my daughter grows up to read a comic strip about alive stuffed animals and gets so heck of obsessed with it that when the comic strip suggests that jumping off your roof onto a trampoline is a good preparation for a tough life experience that she does it and breaks both her arms?" so he got up and quickly changed it. Being a parent is a tough shake, man.
-
I enjoyed the line, "the way things are these days, he is probably a nerd." It is as if becoming a nerd is unavoidable at present. Perhaps it is similar to the Joe Camel phenomenon of making kids smoke cigarettes; advertisements of video games and the like are turning kids into nerds without their knowledge or consent. Not to mention the unsavoury influence of that goddamned Internet.
I took that line to mean something like 'he seems pretty cool to me, but the way kids view the world these days he is probably considered a nerd.' But your explanation makes more sense. Thank you for the clarification.
~Paul
-
I took that line to mean something like 'he seems pretty cool to me, but the way kids view the world these days he is probably considered a nerd.' But your explanation makes more sense. Thank you for the clarification.
~Paul
I do what I can to make the world a better place.
-
The trampoline bit was from the comic itself, panel 5.
That is my contribution for today.