The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on September 15, 2003, 04:56:32 am

Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (09-15-03)
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 04:56:32 am
You bastards!

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09152003).
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: starlight on September 15, 2003, 07:47:41 am
The eyebrows in this strip were great in the bottom three panels
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: jay-ell on September 15, 2003, 12:47:14 pm
What kind of fool waits until his/her wedding night?  

Oh yeah, me.  
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2003, 12:50:46 pm
My favorite part was Beef saying "hell of" as in "Oh god, this is hell of depressing."
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: slink on September 15, 2003, 12:53:15 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
What kind of fool waits until his/her wedding night?  

Oh yeah, me.  


I could never have the discipline! And I don't even have the threat of beig neutered hanging over my head.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 15, 2003, 02:18:37 pm
I find this strip extremely distubring, what with my name being "Carl" and all.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on September 15, 2003, 02:32:26 pm
A rubber from WWII huh?  Doesn't rubber have an expiry date?

Think we'll get to meet this castrated 'Carl'?
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 02:50:29 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
What kind of fool waits until his/her wedding night?  

Oh yeah, me.  


Do you mean just with each other or with anyone else?
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 02:52:11 pm
I too noticed the eyebrows but people seem to be missing the classic Pat-ness of this strip. He went to pick up old baseball cards. That's great.

I can just see Pat every day looking at the spot on the shelf where the binder for those cards went (of course they were in a binder. In order) saying to himself "I should just go over there and ask for my damn cards back" then not doing it. Until today.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: V-Adore on September 15, 2003, 03:14:05 pm
The real winner in this strip is Ray's facial expression in the fourth panel. We haven't seen him in this much anguish since his rap battle with Little Nephew; even Beef's deaths didn't screw him up this much. This cat has hella neutering sympathy.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: jay-ell on September 15, 2003, 03:21:37 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Do you mean just with each other or with anyone else?


I got the feeling Carl was a virgin -- thus compounding the tragedy of it all.  Poor guy -- never to know the pleasures of the flesh.  

I weep for you, Carl.  For you, Carl, I do weep.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 04:39:03 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
What kind of fool waits until his/her wedding night?  

Oh yeah, me.  


This is why we need a [spoiler] tag.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 15, 2003, 06:26:51 pm
I thought the title of the thread pretty much announces potential spoilers.

Good stuff, though....I love the "hell of depressing" too.

I guess if he wanted a family, using that rubber from WWII would definitely do the trick, unless the urge left him (extremely) quickly when the vision of her grandma in the lingerie kicked in. That could knock a guys prostate out permanently.

My wife has a pinoir that belonged to her mom when her parents got married. This would be in something like 1961 or something. She (my wife, that is- damn sure her mom better never wear it in front of me) never wears it if I am in the same county. If she did, I might actually vomit or be rendered impotent for 72 hours.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 06:33:07 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I thought the title of the thread pretty much announces potential spoilers.


I didn't mean that, Achewood is pretty much unspoilable. I was just referring to the fact that JL's hidden text was visible when quoted while spoiler tags generally adapt.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: side_show on September 15, 2003, 06:36:41 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "jough"
Do you mean just with each other or with anyone else?


I got the feeling Carl was a virgin -- thus compounding the tragedy of it all.  Poor guy -- never to know the pleasures of the flesh.  

I weep for you, Carl.  For you, Carl, I do weep.


 :boobies:

my cat have lots of fun humping each other and they were all snipped and clipped long before the boy cat met the girls
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 06:43:26 pm
Besides, we all know Ray can still sport wood.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: jay-ell on September 15, 2003, 07:11:49 pm
That was just a vasectomy.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 07:19:09 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
That was just a vasectomy.


The title of Ray's response claims it was only a vasectomy, but Ray's "owners" think otherwise: http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01212002
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2003, 02:25:37 am
I had the exact reaction as Ray when I read the "Rubber from WWII" line.  What?  That makes this the funniest strip of the year.

JL was probably one of those modern virgins, if you know what I mean.

~Paul
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: jough on September 16, 2003, 03:22:50 am
Yeah, JL, when you wore white on your wedding day, did you do so with a touch of irony?
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: jay-ell on September 16, 2003, 04:00:13 am
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, JL, when you wore white on your wedding day, did you do so with a touch of irony?


Of course.  I always eat my leafy greens, I had plenty of iron.  Why, what were you implying?
Title: agh
Post by: Noah on September 17, 2003, 01:43:05 am
I can't find the Achewood with Ray talking about his previous owner, about how he was a show cat and stuff.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: V-Adore on September 17, 2003, 01:53:05 am
I've always wondered what happened with Ray's show-cat status. How did he go from being a Grand Champion American Curl, and thus presumably pretty good stud material, to a neutered suburban housecat worth $50 and not much more? What did Ray to do to fall from grace?

My guess is: too many totalled hotel rooms.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: AugustWest on September 17, 2003, 04:10:07 am
What is the significance of cats being neutered against there will in Achewood?  This implies owners -- i.e. a human presence in the Acheworld.

Is this consistent?  Should it be?  Am I being haunted by the hobgoblin of small minds?

Yikes.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: V-Adore on September 17, 2003, 04:13:18 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
What is the significance of cats being neutered against there will in Achewood?  This implies owners -- i.e. a human presence in the Acheworld.

Well, This strip mentioned upthread (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01212002) posits that Ray has definite human owners. Overall, though, Achewood has moved from an "anthropomorphic critters functioning at the fringes of human society" model to a "anthro animals with their own fully-functional pseudo-society" model. Probably best not to think too much about it... at least, not right now.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: misterhaan on September 17, 2003, 04:25:33 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
My guess is: too many totalled hotel rooms.


http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01302003
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: jough on September 17, 2003, 05:59:16 am
Well, you see Onstad in the cartoons sometimes.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: AugustWest on September 17, 2003, 01:52:16 pm
Yes, and he's usually wearing snazzy wingtips.
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on September 17, 2003, 02:48:06 pm
I think it was just a shift in tone. At first it was like sneaky around having fun while the humans were at work, not it's more along the lines that the humans are so oblivious we don't even notice because we don't think there's anything to notice.

I'm going to say that the Underground is actually just surrounded by a massive Not My Problem field
Title: Oh my God, they neutered Carl! (15 September 2003)
Post by: andalucia on September 17, 2003, 08:09:52 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

I'm going to say that the Underground is actually just surrounded by a massive Not My Problem field


Nicely done.