The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Mantonio on July 20, 2006, 08:58:18 pm

Title: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Mantonio on July 20, 2006, 08:58:18 pm
Title says it all. I'm a dude, and I have Asperger Syndrome. At least, that is the most likely explanation for my odd condition. (Don't know what the Ay-Ess is? Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asberger_Syndrome ).

See, I recently found and promptly lost a job as a reservations agent at a company that sells airfare and that kind of thing. I didn't even make it past training. This got me to thinking, "WTF? Why can't I do such a simple thing?" That line of thinking got me to reminicing about all the times I was odd and/or failed at something in the days of yor. I go into more detail on my blog: http://cleanbootleggingcoils.blogspot.com/2006/07/unified-theory-of-me-in-which-your.html

I figured I'd let all y'all know since this seems to be a good place to bring it up.

Edit: messed up the HTML, then fixed it.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: jough on July 20, 2006, 09:10:07 pm
This doesn't sound like a real disease.  I mean, is this the clinical definition of "shyness"?

Sorry, I do not mean to malign anyone's illness, but how do you know if you have AS and aren't just a socially awkward and clumsy nerd?
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 20, 2006, 09:27:54 pm
Get it all checked out. Even if it's one of those "boutique" diagnoses, if it's something that helps you clarify your life, frame your experiences and move forward with a better understanding of how you deal with situations and people, that's a good thing. If you decide to call yourself disabled and demand all kinds of special treatment because of it, that'll piss me off. But it sounds like you're looking for ways to help yourself succeed, and that's commendable.

Reading this, I kind of fit the profile too. I've developed a couple of personal methods for coping with what I know is <my> problem dealing with supervisors and coworkers. Mainly, it involves suffering a lot of foolishness and a self-imposed  listening-to-talking ratio of 75/25. And maintaining a high level of artificial positivity. I've been lucky to be in Federal employment for most of my working life (Going back in August! w00T!) so it's been less of an issue - it's really different on the Public Teat.

I think most everyone can stand a little self-observation and introspection along the way - good to get it out of the way at a  youngish age. Good luck.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Mantonio on July 20, 2006, 09:43:10 pm
Get it all checked out. Even if it's one of those "boutique" diagnoses, if it's something that helps you clarify your life, frame your experiences and move forward with a better understanding of how you deal with situations and people, that's a good thing. If you decide to call yourself disabled and demand all kinds of special treatment because of it, that'll piss me off. But it sounds like you're looking for ways to help yourself succeed, and that's commendable.

Reading this, I kind of fit the profile too. I've developed a couple of personal methods for coping with what I know is <my> problem dealing with supervisors and coworkers. Mainly, it involves suffering a lot of foolishness and a self-imposed  listening-to-talking ratio of 75/25. And maintaining a high level of artificial positivity. I've been lucky to be in Federal employment for most of my working life (Going back in August! w00T!) so it's been less of an issue - it's really different on the Public Teat.

I think most everyone can stand a little self-observation and introspection along the way - good to get it out of the way at a  youngish age. Good luck.

Yeah, I don't really feel sorry for myself or anything like that. I find it facinating more than anything else. Now that I have strong reason to suspect AS may be what makes me what I am (fwi I have a cousin who is further along the whole spectrum than I am. Don't try telling my aunt and uncle he's nothing more than a "socially akward and clumsy nerd".) As for Jough's suggestion that AS is not a "real" "disease", I'd urge him to learn a bit more about it. The Wikipedia link is a great place to start. Sure, it's Wikipedia, but the entry is worthwhile as an introduction if nothing else. I'm getting ready to head out in a minute so I don't have time to go into more right now. For now just remember, education is your friend.

BTW, Dawg, thanks for the kind words, and mad props for getting back with the Feds.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: misterqueue on July 20, 2006, 10:11:46 pm
AS is the current in thing with the geek crowd it seems as I saw it start popping up on the radar more and more a few years back.  Basically, as I understand it, it's sort of like a mild form of autism.

With that being said, a lot in the profile fits yours truly as well, but I just base my outlook on humanistic misanthropy which is I guess my way of dealing.  Best of luck to you on the introspective front indeed as AD has pointed out it is usually a good thing.  Strangely enough I have a similar thing in person in that I am generally pretty quiet and don't really talk with many people.   Secondly, I found something that I was good at which required slim human interaction (and most of that is telephone conferences really where it's easy for me to fake it). 

Whatever you do, definitely talk it out with someone and seek what works for you.  Good luck.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 20, 2006, 10:16:52 pm
I'm adopted, with no information about my parents or a family medical history...so for awhile there, I was really susceptible to every 'fad' diagnosis that came down the pike, notably ADHD and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome - both of for which I demonstrate a number of markers - and Asperger's as well.

The trick isn't to live with your 'diagnosis' but to live with yourself...everyone on the planet is diagnosable! But only a few have the ability to observe themselves and see how they are, and then make adjustments in order to be as functional, tolerable, and successful as possible. And that's a good road to be on. This has been another PSA for Wellness from the 'Dawg.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2006, 10:24:14 pm
I'm adopted, with no information about my parents or a family medical history...so for awhile there, I was really susceptible to every 'fad' diagnosis that came down the pike, notably ADHD and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome - both of for which I demonstrate a number of markers - and Asperger's as well.

Lack of medical history is hell of lame. I can't even donate sperm because of it. Yeah, my mom was allergic to penecillin, that's great but isn't there anything else you could tell me?
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: theinevitable on July 20, 2006, 10:57:15 pm
yeah, I am hell of Interested in the whole "medicalization of personality" thing. Mostly because I read a book about it for this summer course I took last summer.

Anyway, yeah. I have a good family friend who has AS. It really explained a lot when they told us that, actually. I don't know how well I agree with using the term "disease" for something like this, though-- personality things like this aren't really illnesses, as far as you can't really Catch them or anything. Obviously you are not looking at is as some kind of I Am Disabled thing, so really it's a good way to classify a Problem. But some people are all "You have ADD. Take pills! *hands me large bottle of pills*." And really, I don't see it as that much of a problem. It's just how I am.

I heard a similar point of view from a guy who runs a group called something like Autism Awareness. His comment was that he doesn't consider it a disease, and he wouldn't "cure" himself if it were possible. He essentially said that he just considers it a part of his personality, albeit one which others have classified as a Syndrome or whatever.

I am really bad at explaining myself about this kind of thing. And I got in a huge fight with someone about this, because this person somehow took this as "they shouldn't let people take medicine." Which is not at all what I am saying.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 20, 2006, 11:22:13 pm
I've got a friend (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20698962@N00/194299937/) who has aspergers syndrome.  He's a super nice guy and the dude is insane with car stats.  I mean seriously, he can tell you what is wrong with your car just by listening to it and then he can tell you the part number of the part you will need to buy to fix the problem.  If you want to know anything about a car ask him.  He'll tell you stuff like (i'm paraphrasing because I can't remember this kind of shit) "they had the two headlamp system up until the 74 model.  That's when they changed to a single headlamp.  That's the same year they stopped offering the 283 motor on that model.  You could only get the 283 in the broughm."  And on and on.  He's amazing.  But he's also pretty awkward and shy and I don't think he has a job.  He lives with his parents.

~Paul
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Doc on July 20, 2006, 11:27:41 pm
I Get you Inev and I agree. I think it comes from trying to handle mental diseases the way we handle physical ones. If there is something wrong with you physically you try to fix it. If you can't fix it often becomes some sort of constant burden that can often have a pretty defining effect on your life. 
I think because of this people have decided that mental diseases need to be immediately 'cured' too and if they have something that can't be cured people tend to look at the disease as a handicap. I think that in many ways some mental diseases can be just a useful way of classifying a group of people. This is good for the people who have a particular condition because it means there are general guidelines on how they can cope with some of the downsides of their condition and possibly even pharmaceutical options if they want to swing themselves a bit more towards the population mean. If people deal with their quirks though and be quite happy living their lives (and of course not endanger themselves or others) there is no reason it needs to be treated.
We're not going to be all the same, we all have mental diseases of varying severity, it's called personality.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 20, 2006, 11:33:52 pm
I Get you Inev and I agree. I think it comes from trying to handle mental diseases the way we handle physical ones. If there is something wrong with you physically you try to fix it. If you can't fix it often becomes some sort of constant burden that can often have a pretty defining effect on your life. 
I think because of this people have decided that mental diseases need to be immediately 'cured' too and if they have something that can't be cured people tend to look at the disease as a handicap. I think that in many ways some mental diseases can be just a useful way of classifying a group of people. This is good for the people who have a particular condition because it means there are general guidelines on how they can cope with some of the downsides of their condition and possibly even pharmaceutical options if they want to swing themselves a bit more towards the population mean. If people deal with their quirks though and be quite happy living their lives (and of course not endanger themselves or others) there is no reason it needs to be treated.
We're not going to be all the same, we all have mental diseases of varying severity, it's called personality.

I think it's worse than this.

I think we have too narrowly defined 'normal' and now, people with personality quirks or who are just flat out different are often considered 'ill'  because of it.  For all the supposed love and celebration of diversity, we choose to isolate or medicate highly talented and capable people because their gifts, for whatever reason, don't outweigh their perceived shortcomings.

People who are dangerous to themselves or others, or who have behaviors that tend to attack order is one thing - but people who are, mainly, socially awkward, clumsy, or shy should have a better shot at being integrated without having to live under a label. Like I said, everyone has some kind of potential diagnosis.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Doc on July 20, 2006, 11:39:33 pm
Yeah, for that matter when did being introverted start being a problem anyway?
Have you met people lately? Most of them are stone cold dicks man!
Fuck them.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 20, 2006, 11:59:32 pm
Be careful what you say about the normal people. The 'Norms' will institutionalize you if you step out of line.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: theinevitable on July 21, 2006, 12:03:23 am
man, I really enjoyed the book I read about this-- Listening to Prozac by Peter Kramer. Pretty awesome.

and for balance, An Unquiet Mind by Kaye Redfield Jamison. That one is about a lady (Ms Jamison herself, actually) straight-up screwing herself over by refusing to take medication, and thinking that she is Too Smart to be Bipolar.

They form a pretty good continuum. I enjoyed both way too much.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: misterqueue on July 21, 2006, 12:11:54 am
I heard a similar point of view from a guy who runs a group called something like Autism Awareness. His comment was that he doesn't consider it a disease, and he wouldn't "cure" himself if it were possible. He essentially said that he just considers it a part of his personality, albeit one which others have classified as a Syndrome or whatever.

I am really bad at explaining myself about this kind of thing. And I got in a huge fight with someone about this, because this person somehow took this as "they shouldn't let people take medicine." Which is not at all what I am saying.

I have a similar feeling on this matter which is why I have stayed the hell away from any sort of psychiatric perscriptions that have been recommended to me in the past.  The way I look at it is that I'm not a danger to anyone else so, you know, I'll just deal.

Not that I would judge anyone who does so though, cause man; some days... woooo.

But yes, essentially utilizing medication to reach some kind of "norm" seems silly to me.  If someone is really non-functioning then most certainly, but social awkwardness, hyperactivity, hell even the occasional mild mood swing nature.  Pfft.. keeps you interesting.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Doc on July 21, 2006, 12:17:41 am
Exactly: Treatment (especially medication) should only be applied so it benefits *you*. If you're happy the way you are stick with it, if you're not happy and you might want to try to even yourself out a bit (or stop compulsively stabbing your friends and loved ones every time someone says the word 'nougat') then start popping those pills.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: jough on July 21, 2006, 01:15:57 am
Be careful what you say about the normal people. The 'Norms' will institutionalize you if you step out of line.

At least you have the advantage that everyone thinks they're special, so no one wants to be average or normal enough to go after those who are atypical or anormal.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: misterqueue on July 21, 2006, 01:21:43 am
At least you have the advantage that everyone thinks they're special, so no one wants to be average or normal enough to go after those who are atypical or anormal.


Wait.. are you saying we're the all singing, all dancing crap of the world?
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Doc on July 21, 2006, 01:40:30 am
At least you have the advantage that everyone thinks they're special, so no one wants to be average or normal enough to go after those who are atypical or anormal.
Yeah but you can only be special in the normal way and even then only within socially acceptable limits. You must have noticed how uncomfortable people feel (and I'd even include myself in feeling that way sometimes) around people who are unusually focussed and brilliant because their focus often means they don't register the normal social niceties the rest of us subscribe to.

Wait.. are you saying we're the all singing, all dancing crap of the world?
Do you know Tyler Durden?
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: misterqueue on July 21, 2006, 01:46:42 am
Do you know Tyler Durden?

Never heard of him sir.  But you might find him in Chicago.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: side_show on July 21, 2006, 02:16:28 am
Hey Mantonio, you think you might have Aspergers?  That's sort of ... interesting?  It's a fully recognized syndrome here in Canada, and something all educators are now trained to recognize, specifically because there are certain teaching tools that work well for Aspergers kids.  (Also, Aspergers students just attract bullies, so it's pretty important to be especially aware of these students' social interactions)  My friend (who is a first grade teacher) and I were both talking about how, for us, Aspergers students are fairly easy to pick out - and no, it's not just shyness or being a "geek," it most specifically manifests itself in the inability to process empathic teaching methods (which is why it's particularly clear for me, because I work at a theatre school).  You said you really struggled with your training.  Did they use lots of "put yourself in the place of this other person" type training?  It's a fairly common training method for customer service type jobs.  As far as all the stuff I know about Aspergers students, their prognosis is actually quite positive.  If it turns out you have it, it's probably fair to say you wont be all that happy working in a customer-service type job (not many people are though) but not impossible that you could succeed with the right type of training.  If you deal with it properly, it's sort of like being dyslexic -  it wont hold you back, as long as you recognize your particular strengths.   You'll come to know how you learn, and find ways to learn that way, and you'll be fine.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: jough on July 21, 2006, 06:18:02 am
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.  You are not your fuck*ng khakis.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Mite on July 21, 2006, 11:23:08 am
Aspergers seems to be the disease du jour - if I hear one more episode of The Infinite Mind (semi-crappy NPR show on psychology) devoted to it I'm gonna put a fist through the radio. I totally have a few characteristics, had more when I was little. I trained myself out of a few of them, a couple I'm still dealing with. Whether that's an autism spectrum thing or just social anxiety, I don't know for sure.

I agree with everybody else about turning personality quirks into entries in the DSM. I guess the word for it is neurodiversity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurodiversity).
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Mantonio on July 21, 2006, 09:22:10 pm
You said you really struggled with your training.  Did they use lots of "put yourself in the place of this other person" type training?  It's a fairly common training method for customer service type jobs.  As far as all the stuff I know about Aspergers students, their prognosis is actually quite positive.  If it turns out you have it, it's probably fair to say you wont be all that happy working in a customer-service type job (not many people are though) but not impossible that you could succeed with the right type of training.  If you deal with it properly, it's sort of like being dyslexic -  it wont hold you back, as long as you recognize your particular strengths.   You'll come to know how you learn, and find ways to learn that way, and you'll be fine.

Wow! You guys sure have a lot of interesting and encouraging things to say. First, though, I want to adress this question from Smells. No, it really wasn't "put yourself in the place of this other person" type training. What I had to do was memorize a lot of commands for this software platform called Sabre. Basically, if we want to find the flight the customer wants, we type in some arcane command to find the airline, then another arcane command to find the class of service, then yet to see if that particular class is available. (and by class I don't mean coach, business or first class. Airlines apparently have different "classes" for airfare. It's complicated, or at least it is to me.)

In other words, the system we were using was complicated in a way to properly trip me up. (Not blaming them, just saying I found it difficult.) If I found the work to actually be interesting I think I would have actually done well. One of the things I found interesting as I've read up about Aspergers is that whole thing about narrow interests and how we often can't be bothered to focus on something else. This was certainly a problem when I was in school. Even if it was a subject I found interesting I might find myself distracted by a subfield of that subject. A case in point would be my world history class in high school. Our task for each quarter was to put together a multimedia project on a Great Man/Woman from history. That should have been up my alley except for two things - I had a tough time actually putting the projects together. This lead me do discouragement and inaction. The other thing was that instead of reading up on, say, Peter the Great as I was supposed to, I'd find another history book and read about another period of history far removed for 17th/18th century Russia. As a result, I did not pass the class.

As for the whole empathy thing, well, I'm pretty damn sure I have it. I can usually discern non-verbal queue's well enough. I'm just akward in playing my part, I guess. I dealt with customers in a call center once upon a time and only lasted about six or seven months before I threw in the towel. I didn't do very well and it was just a draining experience. I can establish a rapport with people, but it takes work for me. A lot of work. When you first meet me I'm pretty shy and withdrawn, but once we become friends I do tend to come out of my shell. Even then I'm noticeably different. I've been busy telling all my friends about my "diagnosis". More than a few have told me they have actually suspected I might have AS for some time. They didn't mention anything because, well, how do you bring that up in conversation?

Moving on, I think Dawg hits the nail on the head about the old narrow definition of "normal" being misguided. I really hope we learn more about the brain in the decades to come so we can one day get a better idea of what "normal" really is. (or if it even exists.) Do something to contain those that are a danger to themselves or others of course, but work with the more benign cases to make all our lives easier. In other words, the norms and aspies should learn to accomadate each other and recognize we live in a neurodiverse world as Mite points out. For my part, I'm looking forward to learning what "flavor" of aspergers I might have. In the meantime, I'm looking to volunteer at a local historical preservation society in hopes that may someday lead to a paying gig. I plan to keep writing on my blog as well. (Believe it or not, I was actually a journalist all through college. I don't know how I managed that but I did. That's what I almost got my degree in, in fact (six credits short. It was great fun and still hope to make a living as a writer some day.)

Anyway, thanks guys. I knew I could get some interesting and useful responses out of you.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Thee on July 31, 2006, 11:20:31 pm
Mantonio is totally Dick Cheney.

no, really, I hear dead eye dick has the ol' aspergers
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Mantonio on August 01, 2006, 12:51:05 pm
Mantonio is totally Dick Cheney.

no, really, I hear dead eye dick has the ol' aspergers

Well I don't go around shooting old men and starting wars. Then again, both of us are from Wyoming. (Actually, Big Time was originally born in Nebraska and only moved to Wyoming when he was about 8. I'm a more legitimate Wyomingite than he is.)

Dammit, I can't believe someone compared me to Dick Cheney.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: xzqx on August 16, 2006, 09:03:35 pm
I'm jumping in on this topic with no real qualifications or anything other than a curiosity for mental "disorders". I tend to believe that most of these are on a spectrum which we can all be placed on somewhere. For example, take OCD. I really like things to be clean, really clean, but I don't go washing my hands until they bleed. So I feel like I fall somewhere on the OCD scale, but short of actually being diagnosed with OCD. SImilarly, I am sort of awkard, geeky and shy and have had to train myself to act more "normal" in social contexts, but I don't think I have Asperger's -- just strange parenting.

Is taht weird to just trivialize every personality trait to being somewhere on some continuum? I don't know.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: wombat on August 16, 2006, 09:28:56 pm
SImilarly, I am sort of awkard, geeky and shy and have had to train myself to act more "normal" in social contexts, but I don't think I have Asperger's -- just strange parenting.


I am awkward, geeky and shy too, but I'm not sure you can blame it on parents.  My parents weren't that way and neither is my sister who was parented by them.  People clearly have many aspects of their personalities from the moment they are born.

I think it makes sense that most of what are considered disorders are just extreme versions of traits that "normal" people have too.  I mean, people who behave abnormally are not generally demonstrating the behaviors of frogs, or whales, or insects. They don't go around head-bobbing like lizards, say, or smelling butts like dogs. They physically could, but they don't. The weirdness of human behavior is still pretty much constrained by the limits of human behavior.

Or maybe this is just an elaborate rationalization of those voices in my head...
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Caustic Armadillo on September 12, 2006, 12:21:28 pm
I have Aspergers as well, I've been diagnosed with it since childhood.
I've never really read a lot about it, because I don't want to use it as an excuse.
I flatly refuse to take medication for it (used to get Rilatin for it) because it turns you into a freaking *****.
(2nd post on this board, and this is the topic? Kind of awkward :) )
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 28, 2008, 09:06:55 pm
Zombie thread!  braaaaaains

So brought back to life because the more I read about Asperger's, the more I wonder if my oldest daughter has it.  I knew the subject had come up here, and I was wondering if anyone in the know has an idea about how one gets diagnosed with such things.

(On the other hand, we had a parent-teacher conference at my kid's preschool Friday, and she got glowing remarks on everything.  When I asked the teacher if Asperger's had ever crossed her mind with regards to Liz, she said she'd never given it a thought, on account of she seems perfectly normal.  So I may be completely talking out of my ass.  Or my kid is great at school and just acts weird at home.)

It's a fully recognized syndrome here in Canada, and something all educators are now trained to recognize, specifically because there are certain teaching tools that work well for Aspergers kids. 

Smells, any chance you could elaborate, or give me a link or something?
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2008, 10:05:39 pm
I hate to pull out my Autism Parent cred, but my experience is that if you think there is something different about your kid -- especially an older kid (over 5) who is academically successful -- you need to follow your instincts.  I knew by the time my son was a year old that he had a speech delay, but we couldn't even get a referral to have him evaluated until he was almost one and a half.  (Granted, I have a nephew with autism so I recognized some signs that other parents might have missed.)  He was diagnosed that day -- once we got him in front of the right people it was pretty clear-cut. 

My understanding is that girls are more likely to go undiagnosed or be misdiagnosed because they tend to withdraw rather than act out.  (This information is specific to ADD but I have heard it applied speculatively to other learning disorders also.)  So my advice would be to call your county's Early Intervention program.  (how old is she?  If she is over 3 she might qualify for services under the public schools in your area rather than a head-start type thingie like my son is currently in.)  You can also ask her pediatrician for a referral if you have concerns.  Basically, I suggest that you do what you need to do to get her in front of an evaluation team. 

Then, once she's been evaluated -- believe them.  If they say she's developing typically, great -- you're in the clear.  If not -- you go from there.  The autism spectrum is a different place to be, but it's not an altogether bad place.  The worst thing about having a kid on the spectrum is the fact that other parents don't understand what it's like, IMHO. 

Let us know how it turns out. 
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Doc on January 28, 2008, 11:05:51 pm
No longer gets so pissed he holds breath until he passes out, goes rigid, eyes roll back in head, etc...

That's always a special day in a parent's life.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: linnea on January 29, 2008, 02:00:14 am
That's always a special day in a parent's life.

Thank GOD I have kitty cats.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: V-Adore on January 29, 2008, 02:12:27 am
Thank GOD I have kitty cats.

Because, of course, cats never act in a way that's at all frustrating or inexplicable...

Anyway, carlos, you've already gotten great advice up-thread. I'd just like to wish you and yours all the best.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: linnea on January 29, 2008, 02:49:31 am
Because, of course, cats never act in a way that's at all frustrating or inexplicable...

Anyway, carlos, you've already gotten great advice up-thread. I'd just like to wish you and yours all the best.

Yeah, but if they're being bad, I can lock them in the bathroom with food, water, and a kittybox for a few hours without having Social Services git called.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Nabubrush on January 29, 2008, 03:17:41 am
My cat has restless leg syndrome.

Wait. No, my cat has sleepy leg syndrome.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: theinevitable on January 29, 2008, 04:13:16 am
Quote
My cat has restless leg syndrome.

That's the name of my radio show!

Restless Leg Syndrome-- 12-1AM Central time, Tuesday Nights (Technically Wednesday Morning)!
Starting its second year this week with the special episode "What is Restless Leg Syndrome?"
KWUR 90.3 FM, or www.kwur.com !

...sorry.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: lprkn on January 29, 2008, 05:33:28 am
New Shirt!

I'm the dude who has Asperger's

*flip*

Plus I like college radio(or whatever it is you 'sperg on). A lot.



Sorry Inev, but my favorite show name on your station is "Jew Named Sue." But I'm sure your show is better.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: theinevitable on January 29, 2008, 05:40:54 am
oh man, I love that name. That kid asked me if I liked it, and I said "YES DO IT DO IT!"

he is cool, he plays old-school country if that wasn't evident. I mean, he is also kind of weirdly power-hungry in the limited way that makes you want to be able to get people in trouble at a college radio station.
If he is the only person running for General Manager next year, I might go for it just so he isn't in power and fuck*ng people over. He is kind of a bitch in contexts where he has control, if that is a thing a man can be called.

I love a lot of those names. Yours Truly Radio is a fave, because the originally concept was that they would write a letter to a band they liked every week and read the replies on-air. But they didn't do that for some reason. The other names I like are names of my friend's shows, so, maybe I am not the best judge.

Also, that is the old schedule, because apparently no one knows how to change our website. I am not kidding.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 29, 2008, 06:28:39 am
 A form of Aspergers was  mildly popularized in  one of the final episodes of the Sopranos. I fit all of the symptoms but Im not sure if Id really qualify or if I just have a Personality.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: jay-ell on January 29, 2008, 05:24:57 pm
A lot of times it's not a matter of how many symptoms you have, but the degree to which you exhibit them. 

We're all a little autistic. 
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: lprkn on January 29, 2008, 06:08:25 pm
Autism. You've got a little in you.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: smick on January 29, 2008, 06:18:56 pm
A-Cap is saying that he has a model train habit that will eventually get him killed.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: CortJstr on January 29, 2008, 06:23:23 pm
Autism. You've got a little in you.

There's a really tasteless pickup line in here just waiting to be used.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: theinevitable on January 29, 2008, 06:36:17 pm

Quote
There's a really tasteless pickup line in here just waiting to be used.

Do you have any Italian in you?
No.
Oh, me neither. Want to maybe go to a movie this weekend?
Sure.
I hate Italians.
oh. um.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 29, 2008, 07:06:09 pm
A-Cap is saying that he has a model traijavascript:void(0);n habit that will eventually get him killed.
But i love wearing that hat!
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 29, 2008, 09:18:14 pm
That's the name of my radio show!

Naming my radio show was one of the biggest decisions of every semester.  "The Musical Biscuit Hour," "Taco Wagon," "The Alternative Fortress," "Alcoholiday."  There were others that I can't recall right now.

As for Asperger's, I appreciate all the input.  I belive we are going to try to get input from Liz's other preschool teacher before stepping it up to the county's early intervention program.  This other school is actually a special-needs preschool, and Liz is in as one of several "community kids," i.e. not special-needs, to serve as role models an' shit.  So that teacher is no doubt much more in tune with developmental disabilities and the like and may have a better idea.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 30, 2008, 02:58:25 am
My show was always named the same thing every semester:

"The Mr. Boston's Vodka Funtime Two-Hour Radio Hour".

Our producer was a talking chimpanzee named Dr. Bologna... yeah, my roommate and I went through an intense period of obsession with "Mr. Show" and, yeah, it really shined through.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: AugustWest on January 30, 2008, 03:00:42 am
My show didn't have a name.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2008, 03:11:24 am
Quote
My show didn't have a name.

You were here during the Free Jazz era of KWUR, right?
Which, you know, was before the New Wave era, and the We Hate Electric Guitars/Rock Music era.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: AugustWest on January 30, 2008, 04:02:45 am
You were here during the Free Jazz era of KWUR, right?
Which, you know, was before the New Wave era, and the We Hate Electric Guitars/Rock Music era.

I...I don't know.

We Jazz and New Wave and Rock Music with Electric guitars.  It was about 84-86 if that helps.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2008, 04:16:52 am
oh shit!

we have an article posted up on the wall from that era describing how horrible KWUR is, and how the music it plays is horrible bad music, and no one likes it, and PS they all wear black clothes and think they're so smart, and haha they think Jazz is good, what assholes.

For some reason I thought you were here earlier, though... I guess you were here during the New Wave period, maybe.

I wonder if I have ever played a record you played. Weirdddd.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: AugustWest on January 30, 2008, 04:19:01 am
How much Jazz do you play?
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2008, 04:49:16 am
not enough.

but it would be kind of weird, since I am music director, which basically means Rock Music Director, if I didn't play rock music on my show. People want to know what the good new releases are, and I need to have heard them in order to advise.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Beatrice on February 05, 2008, 05:58:02 pm
I dated a guy this summer who was very outgoing and hilarious when I met him, and the first time we hung out we stayed outside in the park and talked all night.  He was very easy-going and things progressed quickly and we had lots of mutual interests but I didn't want to get into a relationship and told him so.  He pushed for it and so we were committed but within a month he started to act like a different person depending on the situation.  Especially when it came to me hanging out with my friends.  He didn't want me to, so I'd insist he join me, and then he'd have a panic attack and we'd have to leave.  This happened one particular night and I just sort of took him back to my place, soothed him, and went back to the party.  I love my friends and I wasn't going to miss a best one's birthday.  Anyways, he would teeter between being confident and awesome to be very akward.  He was/is good at computers, and insane theoretical physics that were fun to discuss, but he was also dealing with a recent divorce (at 22) and obviously didn't really listen to me when it came to what i wanted/needed in a relationship.  So things were rocky but I was leaving town anyways to move to Asheville so I didn't really stress it.  Then one day as we're discussing whatever small thing was really bothering him he says, "you know i was diagnosed with autism when i was a kid.  i've got the traits.  that's why i'm like this."  Basically, not my fault. Deal with it. 

That's when I really started to see him as a different person, one i couldn't get along with, because he pulled this out as an excuse for basically being jealous and insecure.  I don't doubt that his brain works in ways i can't imagine.  That was one of the things that really attracted me to him.  He offered me a different perspective and i could emphathize with him.  But when he pulled out the clinical diagnosis as an excuse I realized we couldn't get along.  I've had a good amount of experience with relatives, students and friends with various psychological (?) differences.  Whether severe autism or some other part of the vast spectrum I aim to recognize the individuality and attempt to better understand where another person's coming from.  But to me there's a line when you pull out a diagnosis (one that he obviously was hurt by, and probably tried to play down, and I think he did so very well, and had developed into a great dude, both in spite of and because of his unique brain-style, or something) in that context as an excuse then that's the real problem, and not the condition itself. 

Writing all this now makes me realize how hypocritical I sound with my own history of adhd characteristics and my genetic predisposition for such.  huh,  thanks internet.  i'm gonna go think about life.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Death Ray on February 12, 2008, 01:40:10 am
Lack of medical history is hell of lame. I can't even donate sperm because of it. Yeah, my mom was allergic to penecillin, that's great but isn't there anything else you could tell me?

I feel for you! I guess that means I have Asperger's Syndrome by Proxy.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: pmcd9 on February 16, 2008, 10:38:09 pm
How much Jazz do you play?

They are playing Jazz right now.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: theinevitable on February 16, 2008, 10:48:57 pm
yeah, the guy on right now is probably going to be Jazz director next year. He knows hell of jazz knowledge.

wait, for real, are you listening? rad.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 03, 2008, 04:03:04 pm
Aspergers is a condition considered to be a part of autism. 

Autism is a wonderful thing.  Not everything about life is wonderful for people with autism.  It makes life harder for autistic people and those that care for them.  Sometimes because of the confusion between autistic people and neurotypicals.  Sometimes because our civilization was built for and by neurotypicals (so the fluorescents flicker too much, and the chairs don't wiggle enough).  Sometimes because it often comes with health problems.  But the difference between ways autistic people think and the way neurotypical people think is not a devastating tragedy.  It's really awesome.  Not special powers awesome, but special perspective awesome.

Here's a mainstream media article about autism that is positive.  (Is Wired mainstream?  It's not USA Today.)

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/16-03/ff_autism?currentPage=all

I can recommend blogs, essays, books, etc. on why autism is a good thing if people are interested.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 03, 2008, 04:17:45 pm
That's the name of my radio show!

Restless Leg Syndrome-- 12-1AM Central time, Tuesday Nights (Technically Wednesday Morning)!
Starting its second year this week with the special episode "What is Restless Leg Syndrome?"
KWUR 90.3 FM, or www.kwur.com !


I keep thinking "How did this thread split to Aspergers and college radio."  HOLY CRAP!  College radio is the perfect metaphor for Aspergers/Autism.  Few people are exposed to it.  It doesn't have all of the flashy attention-grabbing stuff typical stations have.  It's obsessions are strange and deeply held.  Each college station can be wildly different from its contemporaries, as opposed to typical stations which are pretty much exactly the same within their genres.  And what it lacks in production value and polish it makes up for in perspective, occasionally surprising depth, and the sort of human honesty it's hard to find in broadcasting.  That kicks ass! 

Thank you, Achewood Message Board.  Your eclectic rambling have enriched my life once more.

Bumper sticker: College radio is not a disability.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Golfhaus on March 04, 2008, 12:07:47 am
That's certainly more astute than my comparison in Philosophy 102 between the Pre-Socratics and the Spice Girls back in 1998.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: theinevitable on March 04, 2008, 07:06:46 pm
Quote
I keep thinking "How did this thread split to Aspergers and college radio."  HOLY CRAP!  College radio is the perfect metaphor for Aspergers/Autism.  Few people are exposed to it.  It doesn't have all of the flashy attention-grabbing stuff typical stations have.  It's obsessions are strange and deeply held.  Each college station can be wildly different from its contemporaries, as opposed to typical stations which are pretty much exactly the same within their genres.  And what it lacks in production value and polish it makes up for in perspective, occasionally surprising depth, and the sort of human honesty it's hard to find in broadcasting.  That kicks ass!

Yeah, that's totally what I was going for!

...but for real, cool connection.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: milhouse on March 04, 2008, 08:40:49 pm
Aspergers is a condition considered to be a part of autism. 


I can recommend blogs, essays, books, etc. on why autism is a good thing if people are interested.

Bring it on.
Title: Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 06, 2008, 03:44:39 pm
Joy of Autism (http://joyofautism.blogspot.com) has been a great resource.  It's by a mother in Canada.  She's not posting as often any more, but the archives are golden.

Autistics.org Library (http://autistics.org/library) has a bunch of essays by autistic people about things most of us don't have to think about.  The most telling things for me are the ones about playing the role of brave disabled person for the benefit of others, knowing that it helps them set themselves above you and not feel threatened by you.  There are also essays on being institutionalized, abuse, activism, daily living, effects of drug use, etc.  Very honest.

Getting the Truth Out (http://gettingthetruthout.org/) is a very in your face photo-essay.  It's a long emotional slog, so clear out a good hour.  It lulls you into thinking it's one thing and then becomes something completely different.

Born on a Blue Day (http://www.amazon.com/Born-Blue-Day-Extraordinary-Autistic/dp/B000WPMKSS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204817635&sr=8-1) is an autobiography by a dude that not only has Aspberger's but also synesthesia.  He sees numbers as shapes and can do ridiculous math in his head.  It isn't really savant-focussed.  It's just about this dude's life and struggles and joys.  I kept expecting something horrible to happen in the story because something horrible always happens to autistic people in stories, but this book is all about some happy endings.

Animals in Translation (http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Translation-Mysteries-Autism-Behavior/dp/0156031442/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204817681&sr=8-1) is a book about animal behavior by animal behavior specialist Temple Grandin.  She is autistic.  While this book is more about how animals think than how autistic people think, she says that in her case the thinking appears the same.  She's written other books specifically about autism, but I haven't read them yet.  This one's fascinating, and I do not like animals unless they drink alcohol and drive Escalades

Autistic Planet (http://www.amazon.com/Autistic-Planet-Jennifer-Elder/dp/1843108429/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204817699&sr=8-1), Different Like Me (http://www.amazon.com/Different-Like-Me-Autism-Heroes/dp/1843108151/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204817699&sr=8-2), and I am Utterly Unique (http://www.amazon.com/Utterly-Unique-Celebrating-Strengths-High-Functioning/dp/1931282897/ref=pd_sim_b_title_4) are children's books.  They have a wonderfully positive point of view and are a great way to share just a little bit of information about autism to children and adults who might be curious.  Because they're children's books, they're not intimidating to people who just want to learn a little.  And because they're not gloom and doom, people will actually flip through and learn what they have to offer.  It's pretty neat.