The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: melack on July 21, 2006, 08:36:53 am
-
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07212006 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07212006)
My favorite detail in this strip is the revelation that Rays serves cake at his parties. The man has class.
-
After posting this thread, I felt inclined to search for a particular comic from the archives. It's the one with older, fatter Philippe going "whatever, fag" to I forget whom. Anyway, seeing a fat Roast Beef from an alternate reality really reminded me of that strip. Hell if I could find it, though.
-
Cheeo up, hamburger. If you try hard enough you just might find it.
-
After posting this thread, I felt inclined to search for a particular comic from the archives. It's the one with older, fatter Philippe going "whatever, fag" to I forget whome. Anyways, seeing a fat Roast Beef from an alternate reality really reminded me of that strip. Hell if I could find it, though.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08012003
Good thread title.
This strip is solid. Onstad's been on fire of late.
-
I think this thread can help us all identify with beef just a little bit more.
-
Beef, I know what you mean! (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05122006)
I have yet to find a photo where I do not basically look either 6 years-old or like some big doofus. Nevermind the fact that I might actually be a 6-year-old doofus.
That last photo of Beef just makes him look like a Mafia Don. The first one is horrendous.
-
Correct thread title. Thank you.
-
THIS IS ALSO WHY I LOOK FAT IN PHOTOS
-
After posting this thread, I felt inclined to search for a particular comic from the archives. It's the one with older, fatter Philippe going "whatever, fag" to I forget whome. Anyways, seeing a fat Roast Beef from an alternate reality really reminded me of that strip. Hell if I could find it, though.
That strip is from the day after the Dumbrella forum closed and TOUAMB was created. It's very special to all of us who were here on Day 1.
Nice pit-stains on Beef in the last panel.
-
Nice pit-stains on Beef in the last panel.
Eyebrows, too.
-
That strip is from the day after the Dumbrella forum closed and TOUAMB was created. It's very special to all of us who were here on Day 1.
Year Four is very near to starting. We should have a big party on August 1st or something.
I'll bring the artichoke dip.
-
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08012003
Good thread title.
This strip is solid. Onstad's been on fire of late.
Thanks, Chord Dogg!
-
What a hitting streak Onstad is having. This one kills. Kills!
~Paul
-
this is pretty good I suppose.
the party I will be having on August 1st will be that my Lady will have just gotten back in the US, and it will be about 3 weeks away from when I leave for St Louis for like 3 months.
in pictures, I think all the fat in my body flees. I swear, I look even more disgustingly thin in photos.
-
I love beefs expression in the second photo
-
in pictures, I think all the fat in my body flees. I swear, I look even more disgustingly thin in photos.
In the psychology of this young man, he is larger than what photographic evidence would indicate. In the psychology of the cartoon cat, he is smaller than what photographic evidence would indicate. What does this say about these two and their minds?
Also, in photos I have such insane dimples. In my mind, I am far too intellectual to have dimples. Dimples are what a 6 year old with cake smeared on her face and a frilly party dress has, not what an adult examining the finer points of life has.
-
Dimples are what a 6 year old with cake smeared on her face and a frilly party dress has, not what an adult examining the finer points of life has.
my dear, the whole motivation for examining the finer points of life is to figure out how to always be that 6 year old with cake.
-
I don't even need to be a six year old. As long as I could always be with cake, I would be eternally happy.
-
Does this curse not strike in youth (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04222002), or am I just being too pedantic?
-
...am I just being too pedantic?
yes.
actually, no. But if Beef is like the rest of us who photograph badly, he makes sure all the bad photos are thrown away. So these could be explained away as being the few good ones. Or maybe if these earlier photos are seen through Beef's own gaze, they too would have him appearing all bloated.
or - the wizard did it.
-
fuck*ng wizards.
Actually Beef was severely anorexic when those photos were taken. The curse stands.
-
I wonder what Beef is saying to Vlad in the last photo. He appears to be really telling that 'bot how it is.
Is his eye closed in the first photograph, or is he glaring at Pat behind his back?
-
this is pretty good I suppose.
the party I will be having on August 1st will be that my Lady will have just gotten back in the US, and it will be about 3 weeks away from when I leave for St Louis for like 3 months.
in pictures, I think all the fat in my body flees. I swear, I look even more disgustingly thin in photos.
Shit, I wish I had your problem. Then again, you probably hear that all the damn time. I will stop my kvetching out of respect for all you skinny fucks out there.
Anyway, I thought this strip was good at first read. Then I checked out the alt tag and wondered who Leonid Brezhnev was. I found this fuck*ng hilarious picture (http://www.cah.utexas.edu/photojournalism/detail.php?nickname=mcnamee&picid=3) of the Soviet General Secretary leering at a svelte actress at one of Tricky Dick's pool parties. For The Win! I thought that was awesome.
-
Then I checked out the alt tag and wondered who Leonid Brezhnev was.
*weeps*
-
"It’s 110°F (43°C) in my office. I’m taking the air temperature with a meat thermometer. I’ll see you when I see you, unless Monday ends casket-style."
I'm confused by this latest pre-strip addendum.
-
see, the thing is, he lives in California. there is not humidity there, if I'm not mistaken.
he can sit outside my house in August, and then he can complain about his dry west coast summers. I will not even let the boy bring him a mint julep or fan him.
actually, I cannot fathom extreme heat without humidity. i cannot think of a time when I have ever felt this-- the times I was in california that I can remember (ie: from when I was born until I was 4) the temperature was essentially perfect.
-
I used to think that I photographed terribly... all through highschool.
But then I lost 15 pounds and learned to not grimmace when I smile, and now I photograph just fine.
Weight loss tip: switch to liquor and move to a city that forces you to walk a whole lot.
-
Yea, it has been over 100 for like a week straight, except for this weekend, in Oklahoma. Like it was 106-108 at least Wednesday through Friday, and Oklahoma has hell of humidity. We got a break this weekend, nut it looks like we are back to 105+ for a while starting tomorrow.
-
Our a/c's been broke since Tuesday (bad compressor, they need to wait for the new one to come in, blah blah blah), and I ain't been good for nothing since. It's only gotten up to about 95 in here, but we're still not happy. I've never seen cats look so sad. I won't begrudge his day off this time.
-
For the most part there isn't extreme humidity on this here coast, that's true...
Except in San Francisco. They have a lot of fog there; you may have seen reference to it somewheres.
However, right now the coastal waters are far warmer than normal, which means their dehumidifying effect isn't really affecting anything, and there's this weird weather pattern where stuff's just stagnating, and all kinds of weirdness with the weather is going down. The weather forecasters* on the teevee news are having to work at stuff other than "What beautiful piece of coastline do I do my remote from today," and it is pretty funny to see them struggle.
So right now it's humid. I can tell 'cause I have sweaty forearms. Also there is humidity in my ##### and I'm not happy about it. I'll still take this weather over just about anywhere else in the country (90 and somewhat humid is not life threatening), but it isn't all outdoor dining and not needing the A/C either.
*San Diego network news doesn't seem to employ Meterologists like other places I have lived did. Of course, they don't have the doppler radar arms race (http://www.nbc13.com/news/3024173/detail.html) that I grew up with either. There are Microclimates to forecast out here, though, which seems to basically mean "It's hotter inland!"
-
*weeps*
As a side note, the actress that Brezhnev is leering at is Jill Saint John, who was boinked by Henry Kissinger.
-
*weeps*
Ditto'd! But then again, not everyone has my peculiar devotion to Soviet history.
-
Our a/c's been broke since Tuesday (bad compressor, they need to wait for the new one to come in, blah blah blah), and I ain't been good for nothing since. It's only gotten up to about 95 in here, but we're still not happy. I've never seen cats look so sad. I won't begrudge his day off this time.
I really wish we had A/C ... showering twice a day to keep my arms from sticking to everything is kind of a bummer.
On the bright side, I think our temperature range over the past year or so has exceeded 110°.
-
Does this curse not strike in youth (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04222002), or am I just being too pedantic?
Nice job contributing to Onstad's eventual suicide. (http://www.poe-news.com/forums/sp.php?pi=1001266299)
I did not think this up.
-
"It’s 110°F (43°C) in my office. I’m taking the air temperature with a meat thermometer. I’ll see you when I see you, unless Monday ends casket-style."
I'm confused by this latest pre-strip addendum.
It is his explanation for why there will not be a new strip today. It is because it is very hot in his office; so hot that he may die.
-
It is his explanation for why there will not be a new strip today. It is because it is very hot in his office; so hot that he may die.
I'd be more worried about his computer dying at that temp.
-
It is his explanation for why there will not be a new strip today. It is because it is very hot in his office; so hot that he may die.
Having just come back from Southern California, I'm of two minds of the matter. On the one hand, yes, it's fuck*ng HOT, and one shouldn't be in a stuffy cooped office. On the other hand, it's perfectly dry heat, so sit in the shade and plug in a fan and have an ice cold lemonade, and one is fine. Which is to say that OnStad shouldn't be drawing his peculiar funny cat diagrams today, but he should enjoy a nice breeze and mint julep and think of IDEAS.
In the meantime, enjoy http://www.qwantz.com/index.pl?comic=815 .
-
see, the thing is, he lives in California. there is not humidity there, if I'm not mistaken.
he can sit outside my house in August, and then he can complain about his dry west coast summers. I will not even let the boy bring him a mint julep or fan him.
actually, I cannot fathom extreme heat without humidity. i cannot think of a time when I have ever felt this-- the times I was in california that I can remember (ie: from when I was born until I was 4) the temperature was essentially perfect.
One more reason why I should read from left to right. Someone else beat me to the punch.
-
my mom was telling us the other day about the first time she went into work in LA. it was raining. it had been raining for a few days.
and her boss was just amazed that she showed up. Apparently after a while in LA, everything that is not perfect weather seems like a disaster.
-
A general lack of weather does tend to make weather seem worse when things get weather-y.
From the El Segundo perspective, it is ASS hot here, and loathsomely humid to boot. And I'm only a mile from the ocean. It's even roastier once you head inland.
-
I left my wallet in El Segundo.
-
my mom was telling us the other day about the first time she went into work in LA. it was raining. it had been raining for a few days.
and her boss was just amazed that she showed up. Apparently after a while in LA, everything that is not perfect weather seems like a disaster.
Holy shit, are you serious?
-
Yet another reason why I will never be able to move away from upstate NY ... I seriously can't imagine living around people who would freak out while driving in inclement weather.
-
Another reason the freeways out here get shitty during rain: the oil buildup. When it hasn't rained for nine months, motor oil slowly accumulates on the asphalt. When it finally rains, it lifts the oil to the surface without really washing it away. And then it's THE HYDROPLANING COMMUTER SHOW starring a lot of hydroplaning commuters crashing into each other and random concrete barriers. Whee!
-
I left my wallet in El Segundo.
No you didn't.
-
Well you know, I
know have heard of somebody that did sometime, maybe.
-
Another reason the freeways out here get shitty during rain: the oil buildup. When it hasn't rained for nine months, motor oil slowly accumulates on the asphalt. When it finally rains, it lifts the oil to the surface without really washing it away. And then it's THE HYDROPLANING COMMUTER SHOW starring a lot of hydroplaning commuters crashing into each other and random concrete barriers. Whee!
That's why those fuckers have grooves. Pussy.
-
man, if you hate people who freak out about driving in weather, don't ever move to charlotte.
school gets cancelled if there is snow on the ground.
(mostly because we dont have snowplows.)
-
We've had school cancelled because snow was forecast.
-
We've had school cancelled because snow was forecast.
We've had school cancelled because three feet fell in roughly as many hours.
Wait, I'm not doing this right. :-[
-
I'll second the amazement at how bad Californians drive in the rain. While the roads may be slicker than your average inclement weather roads, it's basically just that people continue tailgating at 80 mph, and then are shocked when the brakes don't do what they do when it is dry.
This lowering of traction also apparently catches drivers completely unawares on curves. There are onramps that are famous for crashes, getting 6-7 a day when it rains. People just don't understand how to lower speed.
Also: people wear heavy jackets and light fires when it is 60 degrees. This is very cold here.
We are weak.