The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: side_show on September 15, 2003, 03:22:16 pm

Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: side_show on September 15, 2003, 03:22:16 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "jough"
If I discover that dialup users have the same IP address, it'll pretty much mean that you live within blocks of each other.  

In that unlikely possibility, I will introduce one member to the other so that you can go have a drink together or something.


True, while I am a dialup (ack) user, I suspect no one who views this board lives withiin 100 miles of me...


True, but if jough ever finds anyone near you he can introduce you and perhaps this might lead to romance, which could eventually lead to the overhaul of the throne and the spread of achewood loving DNA through-out the UK.

You always sound so isolated in your posts.  Maybe I'm just imagining this because of the vast difference in location between you and the greater majority of people here.  Or maybe it's my stereotypical view of England being gloomey. Do you live in an abandoned warehouse with racoons?
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: slink on September 15, 2003, 03:28:46 pm
Quote from: "side_show"

You always sound so isolated in your posts.  Maybe I'm just imagining this because of the vast difference in location between you and the greater majority of people here.  Or maybe it's my stereotypical view of England being gloomey. Do you live in an abandoned warehouse with racoons?


Less impressive! I live in a small house in the country, some 10 miles from the nearest town, and 60 miles from the nearest city. What with the town not having anything to offer!
At least the raccoons would keep me company. I have a dog though, who's very good company.
So anyway, yes, i am quite isolated, and especially without a car right now!
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: wombat on September 15, 2003, 03:46:05 pm
Um, I think there aren't any raccoons in England?

Some hedgehogs would be nice though.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: slink on September 15, 2003, 04:05:03 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Um, I think there aren't any raccoons in England?

Some hedgehogs would be nice though.


True. And there are certainly mice!
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2003, 04:23:55 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "side_show"


 I live in a small house in the country, some 10 miles from the nearest town, and 60 miles from the nearest city. What with the town not having anything


Wow Slink, me too!  Pretty much.  10 miles to nearest town, 15 miles to somewhat larger town, 35 miles to city.  Personally, I like the peace and quiet, but each to his own.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 04:31:29 pm
Dang that's isolated. I used to live in a small town in Pennsyltucky but at least it was a town.

Of course now I can almost see the Pentagon from my house.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: slink on September 15, 2003, 04:51:32 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Wow Slink, me too!  Pretty much.  10 miles to nearest town, 15 miles to somewhat larger town, 35 miles to city.  Personally, I like the peace and quiet, but each to his own.


Oh, I like the peace, and not having hundreds of people surrounding me, but as I say, without a car, and any chance of broadband, it is a little annoying.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2003, 04:53:45 pm
Yeah, I can't see living this way without a motor vehicle.

How about a hoss?  Do you have a hoss?
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jough on September 15, 2003, 06:01:29 pm
I'm surprised they even have internet access where you are, slink.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jay-ell on September 15, 2003, 06:13:52 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dang that's isolated. I used to live in a small town in Pennsyltucky but at least it was a town.

Of course now I can almost see the Pentagon from my house.


My heavens, how I envy you.  DC is my favorite place in the world.  Just being around all those big intimidating and historic buildings makes me want to run for office.  Driving the streets makes me feel like a Republican, doing the monument walk makes me feel like a Democrat, and riding the metro makes me feel like a socialist.  That's what this country is all about.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: slink on September 15, 2003, 06:17:21 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I'm surprised they even have internet access where you are, slink.


Barely! There's something wrong with the phone line. It pops and squeaks in random weather (sometimes humid, sometimes hot and dry) and tends to fail during bad winds (of which are common here), yet BT (oh, how I love them) refuse to do anything constructive about it.
My friend who lives about 5 miles away, and is on the town's exchange is getting DSL connected in a week or two however, yet again, without a car it's kind of difficult to monopolise his connection.

And no, August, alas no hoss. There was a pony in my acre & 1/2 field that belonged to the farmer's daughter, though that seemed to disappear a couple of years ago (glue anyone?).
I think I'd look a bit strange on a pony, being so tall and all.

Still, given that I just discovered my Insurers are going to shaft me for about £300 if I cancel my insurance, I am going to have to go and talk to the bank about getting a loan to buy a new car.
I'll have to get round to getting some Achewood stickers for this one, if it's going to last more than the six months my last one did, whch I committed a Brodie sticker to (one of only two Brodie stickers in the country (I was assured this by the band)).
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 06:21:25 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dang that's isolated. I used to live in a small town in Pennsyltucky but at least it was a town.

Of course now I can almost see the Pentagon from my house.


My heavens, how I envy you.  DC is my favorite place in the world.  Just being around all those big intimidating and historic buildings makes me want to run for office.  Driving the streets makes me feel like a Republican, doing the monument walk makes me feel like a Democrat, and riding the metro makes me feel like a socialist.  That's what this country is all about.


You forgot the part where driving on the beltway makes you feel like an anarchist.

"Go! Why don't you go? It's only snow, you can keep driving! If you don't quit rubbernecking I'll twist your neck in that direction permanently you non-driving crackwhoreslutbitch! Just GO! Hate world, revenge soon."

And the part where you walk around Dupont Circle and realize this whole "let people be who they want" thing works out okay after all.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jay-ell on September 15, 2003, 07:15:04 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
You forgot the part where driving on the beltway makes you feel like an anarchist.

"Go! Why don't you go? It's only snow, you can keep driving! If you don't quit rubbernecking I'll twist your neck in that direction permanently you non-driving crackwhoreslutbitch! Just GO! Hate world, revenge soon."

And the part where you walk around Dupont Circle and realize this whole "let people be who they want" thing works out okay after all.


I'm all choked up.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: wombat on September 15, 2003, 07:31:40 pm
You forgot the part where driving on the streets makes you think you're about to get killed, and when you don't, you suddenly feel like you've gotten religion (although it never takes permanently in my case).
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 07:47:55 pm
It really is the land of opportunity. Since apparently even a raving lunatic is allowed to plan streets.

Use 3 lanes except M–F 6:30–9 use 4 lanes and M–F 4:30–7 use 2 lanes. Except holidays.

The hell? Plus the lanes on Rock Creek Parkway are like 4 microns wider than an actual car so taking corners can be interesting when there's oncoming traffic.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: wombat on September 15, 2003, 08:19:27 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Use 3 lanes except M–F 6:30–9 use 4 lanes and M–F 4:30–7 use 2 lanes. Except holidays.



Oh my GOD yes.  The terror of being on one of those streets right at the time when it changes and wondering if all of our watches are synchronized...

But this probably makes jldunston just want to come to visit worse, I know what it's like being in love with a place you don't live.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: slink on September 15, 2003, 08:56:26 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

Oh my GOD yes.  The terror of being on one of those streets right at the time when it changes and wondering if all of our watches are synchronized...


And to think I was quite tempted by DC. I think you guys just put me off though!
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: wombat on September 15, 2003, 10:03:27 pm
To be honest, there are also usually electronic signs that change at the indicated time.  But given how little attention people pay to all the signs that say 'Stop' and 'One Way' and 'Do Not Enter' around here, that doesn't reassure me that much.

And the climate stinks.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2003, 11:58:24 pm
Well if you lived in the city you probably wouldn't actually be driving on these streets very much.

I just find it funny that I know people who have lived around here for 15 years and still don't know the HOV rules for 66
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: wombat on September 16, 2003, 12:37:54 am
It depends.  I only live about ten city blocks outside the city.  I never used to drive, but now I have no choice, because another charming feature of the city is the hours of the Metro.  I need to get to work at 6.30 on the weekends, and Metro's not open.  I come from New York, and to me this is just totally bizarre.

I don't know the HOV rules, because I have another rule, which is that I never drive on the highways.  Simplifies things greatly.

But hey, slink and jldunston, I'm not saying it's not a great place to VISIT.  I'll show you around the zoo (and I won't make you get there at 6.30.)
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: V-Adore on September 16, 2003, 03:05:32 am
To return to the general "boonies" theme, I too live in the backside of Hell. Of course, it's on a college campus on the backside of Hell, so things stay reasonably busy, but still.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: AugustWest on September 16, 2003, 04:04:33 am
My closest neighbor is a half-mile away.  Yours?
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jay-ell on September 16, 2003, 04:10:32 am
I love the city.  Any reasonably sized city.  That's why I love living within a mile from where this photo was taken.  

(http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jldunston/Raleigh.jpg)

(Raleigh by day is here (http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jldunston/Raleigh2.jpg).)
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jough on September 16, 2003, 04:22:55 am
I walked through the entire city of Raleigh on a Sunday morning once in October 2000 in less than an hour.

No stores were open.  Not even convenience stores.

There were only two other people on the streets walking, and they were both insane.

I did however find a machine that sold me some RC Cola that did not have a problem with working on the Lord's Day.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: AugustWest on September 16, 2003, 05:10:18 am
Quote from: "jough"

There were only two other people on the streets walking, and they were both insane.


3 for 3, eh?
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jay-ell on September 16, 2003, 01:10:56 pm
Downtown is completely shut down on weekends (Saturdays too; it's not a Lord's day thing).  What's the point?  Nobody *lives* downtown, so when the offices are closed, there's nobody around to eat at the restaurants and shop on their lunch breaks.  If you really want to see Raleigh, either go on a weekday (if you're into the historic stuff) or visit any one of the half-dozen or so local college campuses.  Or go to the Warehouse district on a Friday night.  Or walk around City Market on Saturdays.  Or go bar-hopping all over Downtown any evening you care to -- including Sundays.  Next time you come into town, Jough, I'll show you around.  

It is an odd phenomenon, to have a downtown where nobody lives, but it's not unheard of in other cities.  The other odd thing is that Downtown is tiny -- land was so cheap when it was built that it was more cost-effective to build out rather than up.  So most of the cool stuff around here is out in the 'Burbs, and the skyline pic I posted -- well, that's the whole thing.  It's unusual to see a building that's' more than 4 stories around here.  On the campus where I work, the tallest building has 9 floors, and it's a landmark.

[Edit: BTW, Jough, you did not walk the entire city of Raleigh in an hour.  Raleigh covers 110 square miles, and that's just within the city limits.  There's more to a city than its tall buildings -- in the South, anyway.]
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: CortJstr on September 16, 2003, 01:33:53 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
It is an odd phenomenon, to have a downtown where nobody lives, but it's not unheard of in other cities.  The other odd thing is that Downtown is tiny -- land was so cheap when it was built that it was more cost-effective to build out rather than up.  So most of the cool stuff around here is out in the 'Burbs


At least up is an option there. In DC they aren't allowed to build up so the suburbs now extend so far out that it takes more than 45 minutes at 65mph to reach the actual city.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: slink on September 16, 2003, 01:50:01 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "jough"

There were only two other people on the streets walking, and they were both insane.


3 for 3, eh?


And that's why Montreal's kinda nice. Well apart from it being a beautiful city, it's open 24/7. You walk down the streets at 3am and there's people everywhere, none of whom look like they're about to stab you.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: side_show on September 16, 2003, 02:20:09 pm
My bestfriend told me a wonderful story from when she was in Montreal.  It was very early in the morning and as she was walkshe saw a man leaning against a lamp post having a very love-y dove-y, romantic conversation with an unlit joint (in French of course).

I work right in the middle of downtown,  one day when I got off work a drunk guy whipped it out and started peeing on the fence behind me while I was waiting for my bus. Fun!
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: slink on September 16, 2003, 02:25:38 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
she saw a man leaning against a lamp post having a very love-y dove-y, romantic conversation with an unlit joint (in French of course).


I've been there....

Quote from: "side_show"

I work right in the middle of downtown,  one day when I got off work a drunk guy whipped it out and started peeing on the fence behind me while I was waiting for my bus. Fun!


And if that doesn't happen three times in one evening when you're in Edinburgh you're incredbily lucky! And note I said evening not night.
London's far worse of course, but I avoid spending any time there whatsoever, since it's a nasty, oversized, overbusy shithole!
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: side_show on September 16, 2003, 05:15:34 pm
my shift ends at 4pm, so it was beautiful and sunny.  Yesterday there was a very soiled pair of sh!t filled adult-sized underwear with flies all around it in the bus shelter,the shelter had an ad of an panhandler holding a sign that reads "please feed my addiction - sadly 7 out of 10 panhanders will spend the money you give them on cigarrettes, drugs, or alcohol" AND on top of that someone had stuck stickers reading "treat the problem not the people."  There's lots' of interesting streetlife in Winnipeg - nothing realy frightening, just mostly sad.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jough on September 16, 2003, 05:54:43 pm
Quote from: "slink"

And that's why Montreal's kinda nice. Well apart from it being a beautiful city, it's open 24/7. You walk down the streets at 3am and there's people everywhere, none of whom look like they're about to stab you.


Philly closes its doors to normal folk around 10PM (it used to be around 9PM) but some chain restaurants are open later.

However, Philly nightlife just keeps on going now.  It's a lame scene, but at least there's *something* going on.

However, most of the people that you pass on the street will look like they're about to stab you.  Yours truly included.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jough on September 16, 2003, 05:59:56 pm
And JLD - I realise that Raleigh actually encompasses the surrounding areas as well.  I was actually staying in the Cary area - Triangle Research Park - with nothing but motels, universities, and outlet malls as far as the eye can see.

But the "downtown" area is just sad.  I was there on Friday afternoon (train in) and Sunday morning, and even on Friday afternoon it had more of a "small town with largish buildings" feel to it than it felt like a bustling metropolis.

Let me put it this way - suburbs of Wilmington, Delaware (the most boringest place in the country) are busier and have more happening (and have larger buildings) than Raleigh.

It was a nice place to visit, etc.  I'll prolly be down there sometime before Xmas.  As kind as your tour offer is, I think I'll be busy that day.

Seriously, I like you people fine enough virtually, but let's not start planning to spend our vacations together.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: AugustWest on September 16, 2003, 06:04:13 pm
Quote from: "jough"


Seriously, I like you people fine enough virtually, but let's not start planning to spend our vacations together.


Good to see that your recent binge drinking hasn't affected your usual congenial demeanor, Jough.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: slink on September 16, 2003, 06:21:26 pm
Quote from: "jough"

However, most of the people that you pass on the street will look like they're about to stab you.  Yours truly included.


Hey, I probably looked like that in Montreal. I do in Edinburgh certainly. And Newcastle and anywhere else for that matter.
But it's nice to not have everyone else look like that once in a while.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jay-ell on September 16, 2003, 07:54:20 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Seriously, I like you people fine enough virtually, but let's not start planning to spend our vacations together.


You're not makin' me cry on that one.  Although I would still like to have an Achewood-Con sometime, I kind of view it as a one-shot, social experiment kind of deal where we meet in person so that we can convince ourselves that we're really friends and not just a bunch of random geeks with too much time on our hands.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: andalucia on September 16, 2003, 09:27:57 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "jldunston"
...and not just a bunch of random geeks with too much time on our hands.


Speak for yourself, I've come to terms with what I am.


Agreed.  And as for boonies, I live on an island.  An island somewhat near a small town.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jough on September 16, 2003, 10:19:31 pm
Having said all that, I still expect you all to PM me if you plan on cruising through Philly any time.

I'll take you out, buy you a lapdance, show you the sights, etc.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: andalucia on September 16, 2003, 11:00:47 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "jough"
...buy you a lapdance...


Performed by you?

::shudder::


Why would he buy a lapdance from himself?
Sounds like a rip in the space-time continuum to me.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: jough on September 17, 2003, 12:57:17 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Our Fearless Jough simply strikes me as thrifty.


No, my problem is that I'm not thrifty enough.  But those DVDs and meals out aren't going to buy themselves!  They need my help!
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: V-Adore on September 17, 2003, 01:49:31 am
An AchewoodCon would be pretty impressive. I know I'd love to sit around having a real-life bull session with you people; I'm not sure what precisely we would do, besides talk and presumably have something to eat (since basically everyone on this MB except me appears to be able to cook), but it would be an experience nonetheless.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: slink on September 17, 2003, 02:21:49 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
An AchewoodCon would be pretty impressive. I know I'd love to sit around having a real-life bull session with you people; I'm not sure what precisely we would do, besides talk and presumably have something to eat (since basically everyone on this MB except me appears to be able to cook), but it would be an experience nonetheless.


And I'd sit alone at home sobbing into a large bottle of bourbon while listening to the bleakest Tom Waits album I could find.
Title: I live in the boonies
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 17, 2003, 02:26:06 am
It is interesting when virtual people collide. I have to admit to once being a host in AOL chat rooms. We did this party thing in New Orleans. It was just like you picture it: a bunch of virtually familiar people became complete strangers momentarily and after a bit of social lubrication there was the expected drinking, late night discussions, hotel-room pranking and quiet hook-ups. It was fun. It would be more fun now because I've got more money and maturity socked away. Not to mention a little more confidence in my social self.

So plan it in Hawaii. It'll cost but it's SOOO worth it. And 5 or 6 of you can crash at my house.