The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on July 27, 2006, 01:03:03 pm

Title: MP3 editing?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 27, 2006, 01:03:03 pm
Anybody know of an app (preferably freeware) that would easily enable one to "crop" an MP3 file?

I have a podcast that has one song I really like, that I can't find as an MP3 file by itself.  I'd like to sever the 20 minutes of show and 20 minutes after that song.  I could convert it to a WAV file and use a WAV editor I have, but since the MP3 of this podcast is 50 MB or so, that would create one huge frickin' WAV file.
Title: Re: MP3 editing?
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2006, 01:22:30 pm
mp3splitter, mp3trim, and mp3cutter I believe are all freeware and should be able to do what you want.
Title: Re: MP3 editing?
Post by: jough on July 27, 2006, 02:04:42 pm
I use Audacity, which is free and nicely featured while still being very easy to use.  It works on just about any platform.
Title: Re: MP3 editing?
Post by: vivouk on August 28, 2006, 04:35:35 pm
I use Audacity, which is free and nicely featured while still being very easy to use.  It works on just about any platform.

Same. Highly recommended.
Title: Re: MP3 editing?
Post by: slink on August 28, 2006, 05:07:43 pm
I've always used Goldwave, but mostly since it's what I've been using for more than ten years.
Time to check out Audacity I guess.
Title: Re: MP3 editing?
Post by: jough on August 29, 2006, 05:02:18 am
Slink: I used to use Goldwave and now I'd never use it for anything other than ripping Audible.com content to vanilla MP3 so I could listen to it on a cheapie mp3 player.
Title: Re: MP3 editing?
Post by: slink on August 29, 2006, 03:03:28 pm
Slink: I used to use Goldwave and now I'd never use it for anything other than ripping Audible.com content to vanilla MP3 so I could listen to it on a cheapie mp3 player.

When you say rip, is this with a plugin, or just recording the playback, the longwinded way?
I ended up having to do one from Audible the long way round the other day, and would love to find something that will just open them up so I can save them as a real file.
Title: Re: MP3 editing?
Post by: jough on August 29, 2006, 03:48:33 pm
Slink, I will try to dig up the elements for you to download.  Give me a day or two.
Title: Re: MP3 editing?
Post by: slink on August 29, 2006, 05:21:35 pm
Slink, I will try to dig up the elements for you to download.  Give me a day or two.

No rush. But many thanks, Jough.
I will start a can campaign for you.