The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on July 31, 2006, 01:55:55 am

Title: Steve Martin...
Post by: AugustWest on July 31, 2006, 01:55:55 am
Apparently really can play the banjo. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlqQ1_vZVE&mode=related&search=)
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: misterqueue on July 31, 2006, 02:02:00 am
Someday people will build statues made of gold and pudding to this man.   He is kind of one of my idols, but at least that banjo isn't dragging him down the street.
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: jough on July 31, 2006, 04:00:31 am
Not news to me - he's really serious about his banjo playing and toured with Lester Flatts and a bunch of other top-notch banjo players.

The man is clearly hard-working and multi-talented.  He'll likely be remembered best for his plays in the future.  Theatre seems to live on longer than other forms of media, although we'll see how this wild and crazy guy fares in History what with television being as important as it is to the kids these days.
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: theinevitable on July 31, 2006, 04:21:26 am
I saw one of his plays! it was pretty fantastic. thank you for reminding me of that wonderful experience.

it was "picasso at the lapin agile"
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: Hobot on July 31, 2006, 01:46:21 pm
This has reawakened my half-assed dream to learn to play the banjo.  But then I remember that all my musical ability left me years ago, and I forget about it.
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: theinevitable on July 31, 2006, 04:48:24 pm
every time I see or hear a banjo, I remember the girl who had never seen or heard a banjo. I have told this story before. She was from Bulgaria.
she agreed that the Banjo was the happiest sound she had ever heard.
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 01, 2006, 08:07:18 pm
How can this be news?  Ain't y'all ever heard him do "Ramblin' Guy?"
Man I feel old.
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: Lister on August 02, 2006, 04:22:38 am
Yeah, seriously.  The banjo was as much a part of his arena comedy days as the arrow-through-the-head.

The dude is copiously talented.
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: jough on August 02, 2006, 04:37:29 am
R A M B L I N

APOSTROPHE, I'm Ramblin'!
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 02, 2006, 01:09:20 pm
OK, everybody sing!

Now, this side!

OK, that guy!
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: jough on August 02, 2006, 02:27:13 pm
Heeeeey, this guy's gooooooooood.
Title: Re: Steve Martin...
Post by: AugustWest on August 02, 2006, 02:32:05 pm
To clarify, I always knew that Steve Martin could play the banjo.  I just didn't know he could play it nearly so well. 

I mean, I can play the guitar and so could Segovia, but there's really no comparison between us.