The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: linnea on July 31, 2006, 03:35:36 am

Title: last.fm
Post by: linnea on July 31, 2006, 03:35:36 am
So I seem to be jumping on the last.fm bandwagon a little late, but I figured I'd post and see how many other touambies are all up ins. I've sent friend requests to some of you, but message me if I missed you somehow! Anyway, my username is linnea78 (duh... see my sig below).

Thoughts about last.fm?
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: jough on July 31, 2006, 03:54:09 am
I like my last.fm account, even if it only catches about 1/3 of my actual listening.

I don't really see a purpose for it, but it's fun to show people that I've listened to the B-50's "Mesopotamia" like 63 times this week, etc.

http://www.last.fm/user/jough/

Also, there's a TOUAMB group (Underground Vinyl (http://www.last.fm/group/Underground%2BVinyl)), although Bozack totally SUCKS at administering it. I would nominate Cort to overthrow it.

What do you say, Cort?  Putsch?
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2006, 04:06:57 am
I like my last.fm account, even if it only catches about 1/3 of my actual listening.

I don't really see a purpose for it, but it's fun to show people that I've listened to the B-50's "Mesopotamia" like 63 times this week, etc.

http://www.last.fm/user/jough/

Also, there's a TOUAMB group (Underground Vinyl (http://www.last.fm/group/Underground%2BVinyl)), although Bozack totally SUCKS at administering it. I would nominate Cort to overthrow it.

What do you say, Cort?  Putsch?

I've already accepted Linnea to the group. What's weird is that I don't see a Revolution link anymore. Did that disappear in the new site design when I wasn't looking?
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: jough on July 31, 2006, 04:10:42 am
Ah, I see it switched to "Member Approval" and that they haven't added the revolution feature yet (or decided to remove it).

Oh well, as long as any member can add more members we're cool.  It's not like we really need to do anything admin-wise other than add or remove members, and if Bozack fucks something up we can always make a new TOUAMB group or something.

Also, Linnea, you should join our Flickr group (http://flickr.com/groups/touamb/).

Man, we're really dipping into the Web 2.0 social networks.

NEXT: BE TOUAMB'S MYSPACE FRIEND
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: linnea on July 31, 2006, 05:11:57 am

Also, Linnea, you should join our Flickr group (http://flickr.com/groups/touamb/).


You know, I have tried to join the Flickr group like twenty times. I fuck*ng HATE YAHOO. I know that I have created more than one profile, but I can never seem to remember ANYTHING associated with my account. And even when I do manage to stumble partway through the fuck*ng password authetication bullshit that they have set up, it is never satisfied with the fuck*ng security code that I type. EVER. It is so fuck*ng frustrating. Then again I have probably been sitting at my computer too long and I should go lie down and rest or something.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: jough on July 31, 2006, 05:15:46 am
Dang, yeah, I hate Yahoo's signup.  I was lucky to join before they were bought so I can log in with my old Flickr account rather than having to go through Yahoo's huge registration page.

Perhaps later it will be kinder to you.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: wombat on July 31, 2006, 12:33:20 pm

NEXT: BE TOUAMB'S MYSPACE FRIEND


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: Hobot on July 31, 2006, 01:42:38 pm
Yeah, fuck Myspace. 

I am, however, a happy user (http://www.last.fm/user/phoenixfirefly/) of last.fm.  Oh, and linnea, I just added you as a "friend."
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: jough on July 31, 2006, 01:51:38 pm
Oh, and linnea, I just added you as a "friend."

/me dims the lights and puts on some 'bermp chicka-boop bwawwwwrrrrr' music...
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: dejavroom on July 31, 2006, 03:35:40 pm
I just applied for membership at Underground Vinyl. And this is me at last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/yu_huang/
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: theinevitable on July 31, 2006, 04:56:54 pm
oh my god, that username looks familiar...
wait, no, nevermind. It's the nice fellow who looks like static! phew!

hobot, myspace is awesome. don't lie to yourself. it is the epitome of what the internet is-- a place where everyone thinks you are attractive, because you post the one picture of you where you look good. a place where every pretty girl will be your friend. a place where girls will post pictures of themselves showing a little bra, and get to feel edgy for a day. it is a great thing. a great thing.

also, you can find cool bands and stuff. check out www.myspace.com/andyandthejivers (http://www.myspace.com/andyandthejivers) ! "Screw it Up" is awesome! and it's about my friend!
 la morte l'amour is even better! and instrumental and jazzy! I fuck*ng LOVE THIS BAND SO MUCH! they are so much better live... it's insane. like, any shortcomings in their performance on the record are overcome by the frenzy of like 200 kids skanking, and singing all the words, and the band just going nuts, and this kid who plays guitar for them now playing a solo behind his head, and it being like 100 degrees, and dancing until you kind of fall over and have to sit down, and and and...

it is unseemly for me to love this band this much, considering it is composed of guys I know.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: Limmo on July 31, 2006, 08:14:58 pm
I'm in (http://www.last.fm/user/Limmo/).

Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: Roger on July 31, 2006, 08:45:25 pm
Yeah, fuck Myspace. 

If it's not good enough for Billy Bragg, it's not good enough for me.

As for last.fm, I'm more into it than I think I should. All avoiding listening to CD's on my stereo at home because it can't register the tracks. All having difficulty breathing when Audioscrobbler fails to "update my iPod" (7/10 of the time, basically).

Anyway, for those who haven't noticed. (http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo)
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: misterqueue on July 31, 2006, 08:49:08 pm
Instead of everyone just linking to themselves like a damned fool, (http://www.last.fm/user/misterqueue) why don't we link to the TOUAMB (http://www.last.fm/group/Underground%2BVinyl) group and therein shall we find everyone.  I mean it only makes sense people.

Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: Drygioni on July 31, 2006, 08:52:24 pm
I have two bigass floor speakers in my room, which unfortunately only connect to my hi-fi, which in turns connects to my iPod. No computers involved, which means last.fm is not feasible for me right now.

If I was to set up an account, it would fill up with Stevie Ray Vaughan and other assorted blues stuff I am learning on guitar as I don't mind using my crappy PC speakers for non-listening purposes (guitar learning). While an account full of blues might be awesome, this is not an accurate snapshot of my listening habits. I mean, I don't want to seem old.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: theinevitable on August 01, 2006, 12:52:48 am
yeah, I always do things like "hmm, I listened to In Utero in the car today... I'll queue it up in iTunes while I'm at dinner."


this can backfire, though. Public Enemy and Stevie Wonder are both in my top 15 artists, and neither is really a big part of my music experience.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2006, 01:25:27 am
If it's not good enough for Billy Bragg, it's not good enough for me.

As for last.fm, I'm more into it than I think I should. All avoiding listening to CD's on my stereo at home because it can't register the tracks. All having difficulty breathing when Audioscrobbler fails to "update my iPod" (7/10 of the time, basically).

Anyway, for those who haven't noticed. (http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo)

Which plugin do you use? I use iSproggler which has yet to fail submitting to AS. The only issue with it is that when I close iTunes I get an "another program is connected to iTunes, are you sure you want to quit" warning every time.

Oh, and the group has always been Member Aproval. Although Bozack could give us an avatar and open up the journal.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: jough on August 01, 2006, 03:46:24 am
I forget which plug-in I'm using, but I think it's a java one.  Unofficial, etc.

It will totally sync my iPod listenings, but only if I remember to plug in the iPod before playing any songs in iTunes.  Otherwise, I get an error from last.fm like "The song you are trying to add is older than your most recent listen!  We're stupid and don't know what to do?  Mommy, the bad man hurt me!"
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: Roger on August 01, 2006, 05:51:13 pm
I'm using the regular, official AudioScrobbler plugin – I don't think there are alternatives for Mac OS. They released this new Last.fm player which is supposed to do all the work without the need of a plugin, but apparently it can't handle the iPod submissions.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2006, 06:01:45 pm
I'm using the regular, official AudioScrobbler plugin – I don't think there are alternatives for Mac OS. They released this new Last.fm player which is supposed to do all the work without the need of a plugin, but apparently it can't handle the iPod submissions.

Not yet, but they're working on it. The old iTunes (Mac) plugin was the only one that ever handled iPod submissions natively without any extra work. It seems weird that they'd have people stop using it before the AS program was able to do the same thing.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: jough on August 02, 2006, 04:11:21 am
The Java one that I'm using oughta work on the Mac too.  It used to be listed as a semi-official download, but check the forums - it's one of the largest threads there.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2006, 02:25:25 pm
The Java one that I'm using oughta work on the Mac too.  It used to be listed as a semi-official download, but check the forums - it's one of the largest threads there.

Audiopod Goes iScrobbler or something like that? I used to use that one but switched to iScrobbler because it supports MBIDs. but it's of course only works with Windows. Which is weird because the guy who wrote/supports it only has a Mac.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: Hobot on August 02, 2006, 03:22:53 pm
Audiopod Goes iScrobbler or something like that? I used to use that one but switched to iScrobbler because it supports MBIDs. but it's of course only works with Windows. Which is weird because the guy who wrote/supports it only has a Mac.

I use iScrobbler on my Mac, and it works just fine.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2006, 07:53:41 pm
I use iScrobbler on my Mac, and it works just fine.

iS (Mac) has always supported iPod plays. It's us Windows users that need 6 extra programs and a quart of goat's blood to get iPod plays to sync.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: misterqueue on August 02, 2006, 07:54:27 pm
quart of goat's blood

If you need more I know a goa-


Guy..  I know a guy.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: Roger on August 04, 2006, 06:37:36 pm
The newest (1.2) version of iScrobbler seems to be working fine for me now. Ar least the icon on the menu bar now turns green when it's talking to the server and red when such conversation is impaired. Nifty!

So, about the Underground Vinyl group… What to do we do for funs there? Is there a pool table?
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: linnea on September 03, 2006, 04:39:18 am
I'm not sure what we do in the Underground Vinyl group. I like to sit there and look pretty, but then again that's what I do every day.

Also... I HATE fugs who purposely put wrong tags on music! How the FUCK did Britney Spears get played on an alt-indie stream? God dammit, I was talking on the phone to the Wombie (kellichou) and I didn't notice that it was playing. now my stream is FUCKED and people will see on my last.fm profile that I listened to Britney fuck*ng Spears. Fuck you, Spears fan who mistagged that. Augh.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: AugustWest on September 03, 2006, 05:13:11 am
HA HA!  You listen to Britney Spears!
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: theinevitable on September 03, 2006, 06:07:04 am
yeah, fo' real, why did you have Britster on your itunes/winamp/whatever in the first place?

But it's ok, because you have Hot glasses.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: linnea on September 03, 2006, 06:26:54 am
GOD DAMMIT I DO NOT HAVE BRITNEY SPEARS ANYWHERE ON MY COMPUTER.

I was listening to Last.fm Radio, and invariably there is some fuck who tags Britney Spears or death metal as "alt country" and it comes up on my fuck*ng playlist while I'm listening to the internet radio. Okay???
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: CortJstr on September 03, 2006, 02:09:50 pm
1) You can edit your profile to delete stuff like that which you didn't actually listen to

2) Some people do this just to be funny. The only way around it is to listen to more "private" group or personal channels or to listen to some of the obscure weird tags that the kids haven't fucked with yet.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: smick on September 05, 2006, 09:49:24 pm
GOD DAMMIT I DO NOT HAVE BRITNEY SPEARS ANYWHERE ON MY COMPUTER.

I have all of her albums on my ipod.   This is due to my special lady friend.  She doesn't live in that world of music overly often, but when pressed she responded that it was because Britney has "a luscious ass."
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: afterMonday on September 13, 2006, 05:12:02 am
I signed up for last.fm and wasn't very happy with the results.


I'm not sure exactly why, it just seems weird to me.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: pmcd9 on September 13, 2006, 05:14:37 am
atermonday just starts posting as if he's always been here.  Maybe that's the way to do it.  I don't know.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: jough on September 13, 2006, 05:32:21 am
Yeah, I'm not really sure why I am sharing my listening habits with the world.  Is it because deep down I want to be a target market?

Also: does anyone honestly give a shit about what I am listening to? 

YES, I LISTENED TO A LOT OF LIONEL RICHIE THIS WEEK

SUE ME
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: slink on September 13, 2006, 11:10:06 am
YES, I LISTENED TO A LOT OF LIONEL RICHIE THIS WEEK

SUE ME

You signed up to feel the shame.
I joined in the vague hope that it would generate connections to artists I don't know of but will like. So far, not so very much.
Oh, also in the hope my impeccable taste trickles on down to some other folks. So far, again...
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: CortJstr on September 13, 2006, 05:30:08 pm
I used to listen to the last.fm radio more often which did introduce me to a couple of artists that I wasn't familiar with. Some of the fora are intereting too. The eMusic Subscribers one will sometimes link to cool new downloads.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: vivouk on November 25, 2006, 12:49:13 am
I love Last FM. Can someone add me to the Achewood group?  :-[
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: linnea on November 25, 2006, 04:11:45 am
I love Last FM. Can someone add me to the Achewood group?  :-[

you are added, mister.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: vivouk on November 25, 2006, 04:14:19 am
you are added, mister.

Much obliged.  :D
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: smick on November 25, 2006, 04:47:10 am
If it isn't a hassle, toss an Encapsulate in as well, please.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: pmcd9 on November 25, 2006, 04:50:44 am
Me too, please.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: linnea on November 25, 2006, 05:22:00 pm
The page says that we have zero pending applications...did you guys petition to join the group yet?
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: smick on November 28, 2006, 08:26:52 pm
I hadn't, but I have since fixed that.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: pmcd9 on November 28, 2006, 08:53:56 pm
Is it this (http://www.last.fm/group/Achewood) group?
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: CortJstr on November 28, 2006, 09:16:07 pm
For reasons known only to Bozack the TOUAMB group is called Undergroudn Vinyl (http://www.last.fm/group/Underground+Vinyl). Althought I'm a member of the Achewood group as well.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: smick on November 28, 2006, 10:22:22 pm
Oh.

Oh.

Uhm.   Twice Fix'd.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: CortJstr on November 28, 2006, 11:18:50 pm
Accept'd!
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: vivouk on December 02, 2006, 05:26:21 pm
Is it this (http://www.last.fm/group/Achewood) group?

No, it's this one (http://www.last.fm/group/Underground+Vinyl).

Whoops, missed the last page.  :D
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: Drastic Action on January 22, 2007, 12:01:57 pm
Terribly sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I still cannot sleep.

I've got a last.fm account somewhere abouts here (http://www.last.fm/user/dkavende/).  I've applied for some membership in the underground vinyl, so please accept any invitations from the poorly drawn pirate.  It actually has served quite well in helping me find random other stuff, as well as showing exactly how deeply I am obsessing about certain bands.
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: vivouk on January 22, 2007, 01:16:22 pm
Welcome aboard DA and Iron Felix!  :D
Title: Re: last.fm
Post by: iron_felix on January 25, 2007, 09:44:14 am
Welcome aboard DA and Iron Felix!  :D

A-ha!  So this is how I got in!  I had just assumed that I was being evaluated somehow... that the more established members here were discussing in private whether or not to accept me into the group.  But thanks for adding me anyway!   ;D