The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: starlight on September 16, 2003, 10:30:04 am

Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (09-16-03)
Post by: starlight on September 16, 2003, 10:30:04 am
Oh my!  I giggled so much over Philippe's shirt ..batman!  it's like he's trying to fit in with Lyle or somethin' ...and Harry Potter!  I just finally saw the first Harry Potter movie, so it was like the strip spoke to me in a bigger way

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09162003).
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: beverly on September 16, 2003, 11:30:08 am
great strip!  But no more Ray's place?  I hate you, Onstad!
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: rstevens on September 16, 2003, 02:57:38 pm
no more ray's place? thank god.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: Limmo on September 16, 2003, 03:11:21 pm
"my mentor Phreak Pisces"?  Love it, love it, love it.

On the other hand: "Hollywood grist"?  Whuzzat?
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: rstevens on September 16, 2003, 03:31:28 pm
he probably fell for the old "hey, you should really work with me to develop a tv show and i won't have money to pay you unless we beat million to one odds" line.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: Thak on September 16, 2003, 04:13:30 pm
I'm afraid Lyle will corrupt Philippe. :(
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: slink on September 16, 2003, 04:46:09 pm
Quote from: "Thak"
I'm afraid Lyle will corrupt Philippe. :(


No. When Philippe realises it's wrong, he'll start being all Philippe about it.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: side_show on September 16, 2003, 05:30:48 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Lyle's reading shelf straight kills me.  I mean, a Chilton guide for a freakin' Hornet!  Yeah, I guess a guy might need one of those.  I'm really surprised there isn't one with a booze theme, although The Man Who Hits Men probably has a high alcohol abuse factor...


for some reason I assumed "the Man who Hits men" was some sort of self-help book that helped teach Lyle to kick ass.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: jough on September 16, 2003, 05:48:59 pm
Onstad may be a lazy fuck, but as long as he keeps delivering the daily funny I'll keep reading it.

And yes, I think the man who hits men is indeed a personal story meant to inspire about a man who hits other men, be it with his meaty fists or with a wrench or something.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 16, 2003, 08:18:53 pm
Hollywood Grist? Best of luck, I guess. I'll miss Ray's Place, though, that was some funny stuff. I notice no one is morning the (hopefully) demise of the VH. Thank God he didn't take Ray's Place and leave the VH. Oy.
Title: Re: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: andalucia on September 16, 2003, 08:23:26 pm
Quote from: "starlight"
Oh my!  I giggled so much over Philippe's shirt ..batman!  it's like he's trying to fit in with Lyle or somethin' ...


Pajamas, I assumed.  But yes, an utterly charming stip all round.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: V-Adore on September 16, 2003, 08:36:40 pm
The image of an otter in a Batman T-shirt cracks me up, especially given that the otter in question is Philippe.

I'm surprised by Lyle's generosity, really; he almost seems to have adopted a paternal/mentorly attitude towards Philippe. I doubt he'll manage to corrupt him -- Philippe is incorruptible, like a saint's corpse, except not dead -- but it's heartening to see Lyle grow up a little. We are far removed from the days of Christmas punches.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: ferocious j on September 16, 2003, 09:00:46 pm
Does anyone know what "hawkwind mythology" would be, and/or why anyone would want to deconstruct it?
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: slink on September 16, 2003, 09:19:06 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Does anyone know what "hawkwind mythology" would be, and/or why anyone would want to deconstruct it?


The band? They managed to whip up a scary amount of myths about their goings ons...
If not I do not know.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: andalucia on September 16, 2003, 09:34:32 pm
I assumed it was one of those faux-native american things.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: weeeeee on September 16, 2003, 10:21:44 pm
I wanted to check out the things that lyle mentioned, but my link to the anarchist cookbook online that I've come to cherish has been changed to some sort of gaming site. this is one of many reasons why the internet has sucked for me recently.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: beverly on September 16, 2003, 10:34:02 pm
You ain't an anarchist if you don't have a hard copy; get one for you, and your future children
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: weeeeee on September 17, 2003, 02:17:02 am
I wasn't aiming to be an anarchist, plus I think at one point I was gonna print it all out if I was bored enough. I'll prolly order a copy one of these days when I get a job..
anyways, on topic, nice comic. I laughed.
Title: Re: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: doomglobe on September 17, 2003, 05:32:05 am
Quote from: "starlight"
Oh my!  I giggled so much over Philippe's shirt ..batman!


Girl, that be BATJEW. get educated! (http://www.batjew.com)
Title: Re: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: side_show on September 17, 2003, 01:50:44 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
Quote from: "starlight"
Oh my!  I giggled so much over Philippe's shirt ..batman!


Girl, that be BATJEW. get educated! (http://www.batjew.com)


That is so wonderful. It's Rosh Hashanah wonderful.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: jough on September 17, 2003, 03:43:46 pm
Philippe's t-shirt is obviously not BatJew, but maybe it *should* be.
Title: Philippe in a T-Shirt! (16 September 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on September 17, 2003, 04:03:24 pm
Assuming that shirt is his pajamas, I'm betting the Batman logo totally glows in the dark.