The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mrchee on August 02, 2006, 07:28:24 am

Title: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: mrchee on August 02, 2006, 07:28:24 am
http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=08022006 (http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=08022006)

This is all kinds of awkward for me... My dad's name is Simon

Luckily, he did not perform in any kind of rollerskatin yoyoing act as far as I know.

As for the lederhosen, I cannot be so certain

Anyways, is Pat really gonna be gay?  Because that is just an easy way out for a comic of this caliber

EDIT: my cans are nearly all gone!  SUCCESS IS IMMINENT
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 02, 2006, 07:49:02 am
They did a thing.


About the strip:  I thought that once Pat got a call from his mom and dad.  He threw the phone out the window.  Did they stay together? 

This is a pretty rad strip.  I just can't understand "hold a false thanksgiving" at all though.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: oball on August 02, 2006, 08:02:18 am
Pat's dad calls. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08122005)
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 02, 2006, 08:09:42 am
I guess I just thought Marcel was a woman, but that is totally a guys name.  If it was something like Fred I would have understood.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 02, 2006, 08:13:21 am
I just can't understand "hold a false thanksgiving" at all though.

Thanksgivings are times when families are gathered and awkward or angry announcements of sexual orientations might occur.

So, Timmy, how's school going?
Stop trying to control my life! I'm gay, fuck you!
That sort of thing. It is not the Thanksgiving time of year so they would have to host a false thanksgiving to produce this effect.

Anyway, I enjoyed this strip. Previous to these strips, I did not peg Pat as being gay so much as I figured he was disgusted by all things sexual and just was frustrated like the dickens.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: bonaparte on August 02, 2006, 08:27:05 am
basically pat will soon go crazy because he will be confronted with the homosexual within (not that there's anything wrong with that) but he is such a dick that he thinks male-male fellatio is a shit thing to do.  even when it is behind the bleachers and is so beautiful that he can never comprehend it.

also, let's hear it for photoshop for adding a filter that puts in a homosexual father and his hell of repressed son in a young phase.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 02, 2006, 08:33:51 am
I believe the filter (Mapplethorpe) makes subjects very gay and naked. No photos were filtered, but Pat would think that they were.


My coworker once told me that Mapplethorpe didn't do his own printing.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: dejavroom on August 02, 2006, 11:47:08 am
1 - Aw, look ar Pat's hair. He was so cute!
2 - This arc is gonna be the shit.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: misterqueue on August 02, 2006, 12:52:23 pm
Okay basically I cannot wait to see where this is going.


Seriously you guys, this is gonna be so good.  We can make popcorn and do each others hair and stuff like OMG.

Oh wait.. that's what you do for the season finale of the OC or something.  Nevermind.

(really though, high hopes here... and not just for alliterative purposes.)
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Hobot on August 02, 2006, 12:53:25 pm
I like that Pat looks like such a fuck*ng hippie child balanced on his dad's rollerskate. 

Also, let's hear it for Beef's derision of his coding ability; that is vivid.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 02, 2006, 01:03:13 pm
I'm still on Photoshop 5.0.  It doesn't have that filter.  Guess I'd better upgrade.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Roger on August 02, 2006, 01:05:50 pm
Will another estranged father confrontation lead to another GOF, only with rollerskates and yoyos?
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Doc on August 02, 2006, 01:10:55 pm
I was happy only knowing about siMON from that one phone call but I'm willing to see where this ride takes us. I don't know though, I always saw Pat as more totally hating his body rather than gay, though I guess they are not exclusive.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: jcreed on August 02, 2006, 01:50:53 pm
Also, let's hear it for Beef's derision of his coding ability; that is vivid.

Second that. Also now we have ironclad proof (as if we didn't already!) that logo and pascal are the tree-huggingest birkenstock-wearingest hippiest of programming languages.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: mrdna1 on August 02, 2006, 01:59:21 pm
Anyways, is Pat really gonna be gay?  Because that is just an easy way out for a comic of this caliber

I don't think he's gay, just in denial that perhaps barbers aren't such bad guys.

Also, I love how Beef's punctuation is sorta separate from the rest of the sentence .
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2006, 02:15:42 pm
Nobody thought Pat was gay? Pat's closeted homosexuality is a big part of his relationship with Nice Pete. Dang people. I'd offer to draw you a picture but Onstad helpfully did that already.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Formica on August 02, 2006, 03:48:13 pm
Second that. Also now we have ironclad proof (as if we didn't already!) that logo and pascal are the tree-huggingest birkenstock-wearingest hippiest of programming languages.
I disagree; they are merely the languages young geeks learned in the eighties, and Simon's last point of reference for Beef's activities. No doubt Beef is truly a master of C++ and Java (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03102003) and Simon never really made it past Apple II Logo at the community college, but he learned enough to sub at Beef's computer class in elementary school and helped mold young minds. Meanwhile, Simon, a free spirit hippy homosexual, remembers fondly the geek boy from the neighborhood and tries his best find a good common ground.

Simon is the anti-Pat. Arc = joy.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: swinehund on August 02, 2006, 04:42:41 pm
This strip is just great so many times over. I can't decide which part I like best about it. I think it's the Mapplethorpe filter, though making one's dad move to Portland is a close second.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: theinevitable on August 02, 2006, 05:10:59 pm
"goodbye, father. Here is the key to your apartment in Portland."
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 02, 2006, 05:50:49 pm
Nobody thought Pat was gay? Pat's closeted homosexuality is a big part of his relationship with Nice Pete. Dang people. I'd offer to draw you a picture but Onstad helpfully did that already.

I think it's just more fun to imagine him as not being gay. If Pat is a dick because of repressed homosexuality, well, so be it, and once that repression is resolved so does the dickishness. But I hold a candle for the idea that Pat is just such a misanthropic (misfelinic?) ASSHOLE that ALL people are held in such contempt that he cannot even begin to fathom sexual attraction or intimacy. Someone who has no idea what his sexuality is, nor particularly cares, because he's too busy finding flaws in you and everything else. Such a character can't have his amusingly infinite hatred mollified by a simple outing.


Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Roger on August 02, 2006, 05:58:17 pm
Simon is the anti-Pat.

Apparently so, but what about Pat's vegulonianism? I'm pretty sure Simon's a vegetarian, what with the Burning Man and everything, so if Pat wants to distance himself as far as he can from his father why hasn't he become a raging carnivore?
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: dejavroom on August 02, 2006, 06:03:57 pm
Because his father's doing it for all the wrong reasons. And probably not doing it right.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Ben-San on August 02, 2006, 06:04:12 pm
Apparently so, but what about Pat's vegulonianism? I'm pretty sure Simon's a vegetarian, what with the Burning Man and everything, so if Pat wants to distance himself as far as he can from his father why hasn't he become a raging carnivore?

Simon still drinks so-called "cruelty-free" milk and consumes so-called "cruelty-free" eggs, so Pat is achieving moral superiority by refusing to engage in this degradation of animals.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2006, 07:52:47 pm
I think it's just more fun to imagine him as not being gay. If Pat is a dick because of repressed homosexuality, well, so be it, and once that repression is resolved so does the dickishness. But I hold a candle for the idea that Pat is just such a misanthropic (misfelinic?) ASSHOLE that ALL people are held in such contempt that he cannot even begin to fathom sexual attraction or intimacy. Someone who has no idea what his sexuality is, nor particularly cares, because he's too busy finding flaws in you and everything else. Such a character can't have his amusingly infinite hatred mollified by a simple outing.

Well Pat would still have his repressed love of meat to fuel his anger. Plus I doubt that his hatred of all clerks everywhere would disappear. There's a lot of layers that make up the onion of barely contained rage that is Pat.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Turbo Ninja on August 02, 2006, 09:28:45 pm
The picture of Simon also explains Pat's loathing for smother-handles. (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2006/05/back-to-trader-joes.html)
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Doc on August 02, 2006, 10:31:43 pm
I always saw the pat/nice pete thing as being more  a prison love relationship which doesn't necessarily mean anything on the outside.

And Bobby is right, Pat has too much hate in him to ever love another person.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 03, 2006, 12:17:17 am
I always figured Pat for a closeted, in-denial homosexual. The Nice Pete thing (and the extremity of homophobia toward Aaaaaar-thur and Mr Gary really cemented it for me.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: Lister on August 03, 2006, 01:17:10 am
I don't think Pat "coming out" would solve anything.  He strikes me as one of those people for whom sex in any form is degrading and base; it seems like realizing he is actually gay would only change the gender of the people he can not imagine doing something so horrible with.

I mean, think about it.  Pat is all about controlling everything that happens to his body.  Letting something so unreasonable as hormones determine any of his actions would basically be like terror.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: AugustWest on August 03, 2006, 04:06:08 am
Poor Pat.  Poor miserable, screwed up, lonely, hate and rage filled Pat.  He's really a lot more pathetic than Beef, if you think about it.
Title: Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
Post by: mrdna1 on August 03, 2006, 04:22:35 am
Poor Pat.  Poor miserable, screwed up, lonely, hate and rage filled Pat.  He's really a lot more pathetic than Beef, if you think about it.
I almost think that Beef isn't all that pathetic ... he's just wired to be a melancholy pessimist, likely due to his Circumstances. Lately it seems like he's been doing pretty good for himself, and while I don't think we'll ever see him speak with punctuation/normal-sized text (aside from his earliest appearances, anyway) he's certainly in a lot better shape than back when he was living with Gramma K.