The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on August 02, 2006, 07:04:49 pm

Title: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 02, 2006, 07:04:49 pm
Actually, anyone who works at a zoo or enjoys zoos (zoophile? ;-) ) can help --

When a kangaroo fetus is attached to the teat in the pouch, where does it eliminate? How does the pouch stay clean of joey-fetus-poo?

Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2006, 07:07:08 pm
I would assume that the mother licks the pouch clean.  Lots of animals eat poop, so it's no big deal really.
Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 02, 2006, 08:48:58 pm
I would assume that the mother licks the pouch clean.  Lots of animals eat poop, so it's no big deal really.

I was thinking you could, you know, ask your zoo buddies who actually worked there. Assumptions make an ass out of U and, uh, Umptions.

More importantly, I dont know how the licking would work without contaminating the half-developed fetus with some nasty mouth bacteria.
Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2006, 08:53:39 pm
I don't know anyone who's worked with breeding kangaroos.  But here's someone who's really good at using Google to confirm my answer.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=526370 (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=526370)

Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 02, 2006, 09:02:24 pm
Amazing. You'd think the flora in the mother's mouth would lead to sepsis in the embryo.
Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2006, 09:08:07 pm
Animals tend to evolve resistance to what they need to evolve resistance to, you know?  I mean, you can evolve to be able to eat carrion that's full of nasty bacteria.  Evolving a resistance to being licked on your outside is probably a lot easier than that.
Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: jough on August 02, 2006, 09:10:36 pm
This is what I was expecting to see when I clicked on this subject line:

(http://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Deer_mating2.jpg)

Man, I'm so glad no one had to see THAT.
Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: Doc on August 02, 2006, 10:47:41 pm
Wassamatta Jough? You feeling the need to pick up the slack since Bobby seems to be going through a period of (temporary, relative) sanity?
Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 03, 2006, 12:11:53 am
That picture is mad rutty, yo.

Cats and dogs clean up after little ones by eating the poop. I'm sure creatures that live in dens do the same until the young'uns can go outside.
Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: AugustWest on August 03, 2006, 03:36:25 am
That picture is mad rutty, yo.

You don't have to get all literal on us.
Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: side_show on August 03, 2006, 07:20:09 pm
This is what I was expecting to see when I clicked on this subject line:

(http://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Deer_mating2.jpg)

Man, I'm so glad no one had to see THAT.

That is so obviously the picture you're using as your desktop wall paper jough.  I mean, come on.
Title: Re: WOMBAT I NEED YOUR ZOO SKILLS
Post by: jough on August 03, 2006, 08:35:10 pm
Actually, Smells, I'm using your press release photo as my wallpaper.  It makes me all tingly. You know, down there.