The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: FlipConstantine on August 07, 2006, 04:09:26 am

Title: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: FlipConstantine on August 07, 2006, 04:09:26 am
The title basically explains it.  The subscription only based part of Achewood is back, on the attack.

I'm debating whether or not to sign up, I've been spending too much money on stuff lately.  I missed the subscription stuff the first time around, and I would like to know if anyone thinks it is worth the money.

Discuss?
Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: JorgeMacD on August 07, 2006, 06:12:57 am
I tried to subscribe, but PayPal wouldn't cooperate.

Anyone else having a problem?
Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: linnea on August 07, 2006, 06:19:57 am
I knew that getting high speed intarwub at my place would only serve to open a bottomless vortex in my wallet. The internet is trying to take my last dollar. Fuck.
Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: misterqueue on August 07, 2006, 02:06:05 pm
Onstad finds out that children are expensive: Film at 11!*



* That being said, I got one for at least the first time around.  I never had walkin' money when they were first up so you know, now's as good a time as any.
Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: jough on August 07, 2006, 02:24:22 pm
"Gee, how can I earn some extra coin without having to do any new work...  Can I monetize the blogs somehow?  Oh, I know, I'll dig up all that old Serializer stuff that wasn't worth the $3/month to begin with, add two or three lines about a few of them, and then charge the same people who read that stuff before to read it again!  I mean, Star Wars is coming out again on DVD, so why not a new Achewood edition?  Its genius is its simplicity."
Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: linnea on August 07, 2006, 11:20:27 pm
The dude produces a comic for free, IMHO... the more power to him if he can come up with some way to make a living at it. I have all the books, and one shirt, but like Q said, chilluns are expensive.

Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: Fooker on August 08, 2006, 01:10:38 am
I bought access at something like 1 am or maybe 2 am EST this morning.

I am not really dissapointed although it is not something I would have spent money on a year ago. It is cool to me to be just a bit above poor now. I could have done with maybe some more stuff but hey, free comic.

He should collect all of the blogs, order them together chronologically with all the necessary accompanying strips and a few unpublished rays places and put it out as a book. I am ashamed to admit that I would buy two.
Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: smick on August 08, 2006, 03:45:24 am
I had paid for it for a while back when they were first run.   I tossed my subscription when I had gone a month or so without updates. 

I understand not complaining about free stuff, but when I'm paying for it, that kinda sucked.   There was more content at serializer too, but I just couldn't get into it.   It might have been the left to right scroll of the page that just set me off.   It was supposed to be innovative and such, but, it was just annoying.
Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: misterqueue on August 08, 2006, 03:55:45 am
After having read it in a mere 45 minutes I'm sort of... meh.  I mean 12 dollars isn't a whole lot of money, but then again I bought access for a year and I'm already done with it in the same day?  I guess I should learn to ration?
Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: V-Adore on August 08, 2006, 07:38:19 am
After having read it in a mere 45 minutes I'm sort of... meh.  I mean 12 dollars isn't a whole lot of money, but then again I bought access for a year and I'm already done with it in the same day?  I guess I should learn to ration?

Yeah, that's kind of my thought. I'll certainly subscribe, eventually, but the "yearly subscription" model seems like something of a crock when the page implies heavily that there will never, ever be any new content. If Onstad isn't going to be posting things regularly enough to make a subscription sensible, why not move it to a "twelve bucks for permanent access" model and do it as some kind of, I dunno, online book? (Or hell, package it as a real dead-tree book and charge twelve bucks for it. 76 installments is reasonably meaty.) For some reason the concept of paying per year for content that will never change just seems manipulative.
Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: wombat on August 08, 2006, 12:58:41 pm
Yeah -  a subscription implies a promise of new material.  I would buy a book of the stuff in a minute, but this doesn't make sense.  And I am one who will usually send him money at the drop of a hat, you know?
Title: Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
Post by: misterqueue on August 08, 2006, 01:13:46 pm
Yeah.. I cancelled the subscription already.  I mean, I read it.  Okay great.  Why keep paying for nothing new?  That's like being charged by the power company for the electricity I used last year all over again.