The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: satchel on September 16, 2003, 09:32:14 pm
-
This article (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/09/16/sleep.personality.reut/index.html) on sleeping positions interested me. I sleep on my stomach, and have for the last twenty years; according to the article, that’s the most rare position. If I sleep on my back I get weird(er) dreams.
In which position do you sleep?
-
I read this one on metafilter today... I sleep on my side with my hands curled under my chin and my feet outside of the blanket... no other way unless I have just gotten back very late from somewhere and am impaired/quite tired.
-
I'm sure I've read somewhere that sleeping on your back is more likely to result in nightmares.
But sleeping on my stomach makes me wake up with a backache nowadays so I have to put up with the weird dreams.
-
I can't fall asleep on my back so I sleep on my stomach with my head on my arm and my top leg out with my knee bent 90 degrees.
-
If I lay on my back I can't get to sleep.
I sleep on my stomach, and yes, I get neck and back pain.
But it beats not sleeping at all!
Not that I sleep more than three to four hours every two days now anyway.
-
I tend to sleep on my stomach, with no pillow, but often my hand under my chest (does tend to lead to numbness however).
Sometimes I lie on my side, but again, very little under my head, or my dodgy back tends to hurt.
Then again on the very odd occasion I go to sleep on my back.
I like to be unpredictable!
-
I sleep 6-12 inches above the mattress.
Seriously - I sleep on my right side with my right arm extended under my wifes pillow with my legs bent at the knees and my other arm doing whatever, usually resting on her hip or something.
This has led to me being unable to sleep in hotels when I'm traveling for work because there is noone else there.
Christ I sound like a Sap. So I should mention that at random times I swing my elbow around and its about 1D10 at +9 to hit that I get her right in the orbit of her left eye. It ain't all about romance over here. Sometimes it's PURE self defense.
-
Don't worry, AlohaDawg. I sleep better with another person in bed with me. Before I was married I slept with a body pillow for much the same effect.
When I go to bed I lie down on my right side, but after about 15 minutes I flip to the left. Ten minutes after that I flip back to the right, and that's the position I usually fall asleep in. (If not, I flip back and forth all night, dozing for 10 minutes at a time...I hate those nights.) I stretch my right arm above my head with my pillow between my arm and my bicep and curl my left arm around in front of me, resting my knuckles on the bridge of my nose. My right leg is outstretched and my left leg is bent at a 30 degree angle and flung over my spouse (or, alternitively, a pillow). We turn in unison so that we are always in a spooning position -- we don't plan it that way, we're just synched up like that. So it's weird to sleep alone now -- like I don't know when to roll over.
-
The other weird sleep position, mainly when lying on a sofa say, is to lie on my back with my elbow over my eyes, so the crook of the elbow lies over my eyes, atop my nose as it were. What's oddest about this is that both my brother and I do it, and for some reason, our arms cover our eyes perfectly, with no light getting in, which no one else I've known seems to manage.
I do this. I, too, have long, thin, chimp-like arms*.
* When I got married, I was fortunate enough to find a wedding gown, on sale, that fit me perfectly off the rack. However, it required one (1) alteration. Most people would think it would be the hem (since wedding gowns are purposely cut long on the assumption that you'll have it altered anyway) -- but it was the sleeves -- my arms are so skinny that we had to have the sleeves taken in because they were donwright baggy.
I know my Dad does this (I have his arms) and I believe my brother does, too -- although I don't know about his light blockage capablilty. We're all a bunch of monkeys.
[Edit: Awww, shit, Slink. I hit "Edit" instead of "Quote." Terribly sorry. You wanna re-edit this and put it back the way you had it? I'll re-post down below. ]
-
Or Odd Eyes.
You seem to have long and slender arms from the picture I saw, the length would determine where your elbow would be in relation to your face. I can't do it. And I feel pretty dumb sitting at my desk at work trying...
-
Or odd noses?
-
Or Odd Eyes.
You seem to have long and slender arms from the picture I saw, the length would determine where your elbow would be in relation to your face. I can't do it. And I feel pretty dumb sitting at my desk at work trying...
Well, my scheme worked then :lol:
And it is true, both my brother and I have rather long, thin arms.
Or odd noses?
Well, my nose is rather pointy and straight, my brothers isn't. Me having broken it when we were kids. (to continue this posts theme - :twisted:)
-
Fetal position, or half-fetal (one leg bent, one leg straight) for me.
Re: sleeping with another...
Mrs. West works nights (10pm to 6am). I work days. We only sleep together two nights a week.
I sleep much better when I have the entire King Sized Pillow Topped mattress to myself. I love her to death, but dammit, she hogs the covers!
I do share the bed with two of the dogs.
Does anybody else use buckwheat pillows? This has been the second greatest discovery of the last ten years for me (only slightly behind Achewood.) They R.O.C.K.
-
I sleep curled up in a teeny-tiny ball, hugging a pillow and grinding my teeth.
Yeah, actually, I am a little stressed. Why do you ask?
I moved away from my last sleepover buddy a few months ago, and probably won't find another soon. But they seem to keep me out of the fetal position, which is a lot easier on my back.
And I had a buckwheat pillow in college, but I took it with me when we occupied the Chancelor's office (over sweatshop issues - all our school's clothes were made using the blood of the proletariat). When everybody got arrested (I was away for the day at a retreat for another organization), they took my pillow too.
It was college - don't make fun!
-
The other weird sleep position, mainly when lying on a sofa say, is to lie on my back with my elbow over my eyes, so the crook of the elbow lies over my eyes, atop my nose as it were. What's oddest about this is that both my brother and I do it, and for some reason, our arms cover our eyes perfectly, with no light getting in, which no one else I've known seems to manage.
I do this. I, too, have long, thin, chimp-like arms*.
* When I got married, I was fortunate enough to find a wedding gown, on sale, that fit me perfectly off the rack. However, it required one (1) alteration. Most people would think it would be the hem (since wedding gowns are purposely cut long on the assumption that you'll have it altered anyway) -- but it was the sleeves -- my arms are so skinny that we had to have the sleeves taken in because they were donwright baggy.
I know my Dad does this (I have his arms) and I believe my brother does, too -- although I don't know about his light blockage capablilty. We're all a bunch of monkeys.
-
Here in my cubicle I am contorting my own skinny arms into the postitions described. It must seem a strange semaphore.