The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: satchel on September 16, 2003, 09:58:52 pm

Title: Have you ever read Steve Martin?
Post by: satchel on September 16, 2003, 09:58:52 pm
My copy of Cruel Shoes (1977) by Steve Martin just arrived. Sample story (obviously reprinted here illegally):

Shuckin’ the Jive
The crazy bastards were going down to the pool hall to play a little pinball when their car exploded blowing everyone to smithereens. Some of Tubby’s flesh flew off by the side of the road, and in time nourished a sunflower growing there. Soon the sunflower was eaten by a hoss and the hoss was eaten by some hobos out for a wild time. Then one of the hobos met an eastward wandering Canadian guru. But before anything significant happened the hobo died, attacked by a heart-dog in a scientist’s laboratory. The death was listed as a heart attack. Then slavery was abolished.

Conclusion:
Grandpa died and was resurrected after three days, but no one called him the Son of God; they just said, “Hey, that’s Gramps!”
Title: Have you ever read Steve Martin?
Post by: jough on September 16, 2003, 10:14:54 pm
I like them.

I have the original hard cover version of Cruel Shoes, passed down from my father who bought it when it first came out.

It's one of my favourite books of all time.  It's the only time I remember my dad ever reading to me as a child.  So it's kinda nostalgiac for me.
Title: Have you ever read Steve Martin?
Post by: AugustWest on September 17, 2003, 03:37:33 am
I read Cruel Shoes when it came out in the '70s.  I think I was in 8th grade at the time.

I can remember not getting it entirely, but sort of...  This was around the time when I spent my Saturday nights watching Monty Python on PBS at 11, followed by SNL at 11:30.  I was just learning the pleasures of absurdity.


Those were the days.  Yes, they were each 24 hours back then.