The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: linnea on August 13, 2006, 06:25:57 am

Title: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: linnea on August 13, 2006, 06:25:57 am
Hilarious link: http://www.blackwidowbakery.com/demo/meatcake/

Hahaha, this is pretty sick. This is decadence on a nearly-Turducken-esque level. I guess that it is like a huge version of Shepherd's Pie, except shaped like a big-ass cake? I sure as hell wouldn't eat it, but the sheer artistry of the thing is pretty impressive.

Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: V-Adore on August 13, 2006, 07:45:09 am
What amazes me about this is how.. cakey it looks. It took me a few seconds to realize that that really was meat, mashed potato, and ketchup. Daaamn.

Someone needs to try this, methinks.
Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: linnea on August 13, 2006, 09:11:13 am
What amazes me about this is how.. cakey it looks. It took me a few seconds to realize that that really was meat, mashed potato, and ketchup. Daaamn.

Someone needs to try this, methinks.

Isn't that crazy? When I first saw the photo, I was like, "Hella delicious cake!" but then I realized that it was meat and potatoes! Surely someone among us has the motivation to create such a lovely culinary treat and photograph it?
Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: kellichou on August 13, 2006, 03:21:25 pm
Isn't that crazy? When I first saw the photo, I was like, "Hella delicious cake!" but then I realized that it was meat and potatoes! Surely someone among us has the motivation to create such a lovely culinary treat and photograph it?

this is artistry!  This woman is a genius!  I also like her jokes about the poorly drawn t-bone on top of the cake.  Hee.  I also wholeheartedly approve of her Alton Brown addiction. 
Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: AugustWest on August 13, 2006, 03:33:47 pm

This is decadence on a nearly-Turducken-esque level.


Not really.  It's just meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  Nothing decadent about meatloaf and mashed potatoes. 
Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: slink on August 13, 2006, 06:46:45 pm
Nothing decadent about meatloaf and mashed potatoes. 

Fake mashed potatoes no less. God, it's not difficult to boil and mash some real potatoes. Smash is one of the most god-awful inventions ever.
Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: Ben-San on August 13, 2006, 09:11:18 pm
Fake mashed potatoes no less. God, it's not difficult to boil and mash some real potatoes. Smash is one of the most god-awful inventions ever.

To be fair, there's a legitimate-sounding excuse for them in the descriptive text.
Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: linnea on August 13, 2006, 10:07:37 pm
Not really.  It's just meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  Nothing decadent about meatloaf and mashed potatoes. 

Fowl and stuffing in and of itself isn't decadent. It's the unholy Turducken combination that makes it decadent.

In this case, a meat cake qualifies as decadence. It's on a grand scale, it's a cake, and it's meat. SIX POUNDS of meat. That's decadent. That is 24 servings!
 
Mashed Yukon Gold potato frosting would be better, though, imho. Of course, they are expensive, but expensive/high quality ingredients make everything better. She had to use potato flakes because she had already spent $40 on the SIX POUNDS of meat that were required for the cake. What if you made a three-layer cake using different meatloaves? Like one of venison, one of elk, and one of beef (or any other game or domesticated meat)? That would be pretty cool.

I think it would be cool for a dinner party to make individual-sized cakes frosted with mashed potatoes (I would do vegetarian cakes most likely, but that's just me). However, then you're left with pretty much just Shepherd's Pie, unless you decorate them like small cakes.  Of course, the grand scale of a three-layer meatcake would be lost, and that's 99% of what made this so awesome in the first place.
Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 14, 2006, 01:04:16 am
I have been a vegetarian for around 6 months, but always tell myself "the next time I eat meat it will be..." like when a friend goes to a bad ass local burger joint or something (like, I will give myself the oportunity to eat meat 2-3 times a year, so I need to make it awesome.  Also, I don't call myself a vegetarian in real life).  However, if that was here, I would totally eat it.
Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2006, 03:02:17 am
In this case, a meat cake qualifies as decadence. It's on a grand scale, it's a cake, and it's meat. SIX POUNDS of meat. That's decadent. That is 24 servings!
 

What if you have a large number of people to feed, say at some sort of function.  Maybe a wedding...

It's like 3 meatloafs and some mashed potato flakes, presented creatively.  But for the presentation it's pretty mundane, foodwise.
Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: slink on August 14, 2006, 03:15:27 am
To be fair, there's a legitimate-sounding excuse for them in the descriptive text.

Could have used a ricer... Pfffft.
I mean, as far as I'm concerned the whole thing looks like an abomination, so honestly, the smash is the least of my worries.

I'm not American so I'm allowed to hate meatloaf.
Title: Re: Meatatarian Cake (vegans beware)
Post by: pmcd9 on September 06, 2006, 06:20:53 pm
I love this, I've got to get meatcake into my life.

~Paul