The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: oball on August 14, 2006, 04:05:57 am
-
Well, Pat's still a dick. We can breathe easy. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08142006)
-
A once glorious city lies in ruin. It is forgotten, and many millenia pass. Later, archeologists that uncover it are overpowered by the palpable aura of sadness for the loss of something great. They do not speak, but the pact is made: the discovery will not be reported. No one will ever know
Honestly though, what a fuckin copout. Its like the village cantor has lost his voice
-
On the other hand, the alt text is sheer goddamn brilliance.
-
Well, it's not how I envisioned it, but then again... this is Mr. Onstad's work, not mine. If I were writing it, we'd have something completely different.
I think that for better or for worse, Pat is staying true to himself. It's not like finding out about the curse is going to somehow make him into a better person. Answers a few questions about his "cravings" or whatever. And his body obsession/orthorexia (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4389849.stm) should fit in, since eating disorders are a big problem in gay culture (http://www.planetout.com/health/mental/?sernum=3270). Of course, he still have to prove Simon wrong, because Pat cannot forgive him. A leopard doesn't change its spots -- unless, of course, a car battery and a wet bathroom floor and a Native American amulet is involved.
-
This is pretty much how I hoped it would play out, it's not brilliant but Pat not being a dick can only be so funny.
Besides Pat the angry gay guy has plenty of comic potential.
I can see him wailing on poor arthur for contributing to societies oppression of their lifestyle by buying into the pop culture image handed down by the Man.
More or less on topic story: I was speaking to my (gay) brother the other night about gay marriages and such (these aren't recognised under our constitution as marriage after a change that happened a little while ago with a depressing lack of fuss, most people here are laid back but fairly conservative on a lot of issues) and he made the comment that 'we' (a group that I do not believe included my boobie-loving self) are all 'back of the bus'. I asked him where he got that from and he said he read it in an article that was comparing current gay culture to the civil rights movement in america in the 50s.
'Paul,' said I, 'You are not Rosa Parks.'
-
I'm not sure if this strip is "meh" or just "eh."
At least the storyline is over... OR IS IT?!?
-
I like that Teodor is positively drenched in sweat, yet Beef appears unaltered by physical exertion.
Plus, how can you complain when we get the phrase "hella pause" from this strip?
-
I had problems with the pacing; basically the last two strips should have been four (ok, maybe only three). *Milk your gay cat, Focker.*
-
Consider: while not as downtrodden as pre-voting rights act blacks, gay people do get the short end of the civil rights stick in this country. Pat's self-righteous anger over this is going to be a touch more justifiable than his anger over sub-par "best"-itutes and whatnot.
It still won't make him any easier to tolerate, though.
-
Image of Spongebath working a souped up Lark to kick ass at the pick up basketbal = pretty f-f-friggin entertaining.
Agreed. Why couldn't we have a strip of that? Just watching Spongebath totally own Beef and Teodor would have been worth five of these strips.
-
I wrote this so that the thread about the ACTUAL Achewood cartoon from yesterday would have more posts than the thread about the satire.
Pat is a dick. If he were told right this second that he had cancer, in two seconds from now he'd start railing about how unfair it is that people with arthritis can get permits to park in handicapped spaces but people with cancer have to park in regular spots because they're ill but not crippled. He might not have had a single thought about cancer or cripple spots in his life, but as soon as he can be a victim of something, Pat welcomes the opportunity to be oppressed.