The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Flaaron on August 14, 2006, 04:54:35 pm

Title: xkcd Parody
Post by: Flaaron on August 14, 2006, 04:54:35 pm
I am here to bring you something. And that thing is information (http://www.xkcd.com/).




Fix'd link. -- Jough
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: colmore on August 14, 2006, 04:59:04 pm
broken link?
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: smick on August 14, 2006, 05:03:51 pm
http://www.xkcd.com/ (http://www.xkcd.com/)

Aside from the broken link, the xkcd parody is pretty much lacking humor.

D+, see me after class xkcd.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Drastic Action on August 14, 2006, 05:55:46 pm
I think it wasn't so bad.  Besides, a few clicks back and we find this (http://www.xkcd.com/c138.html).
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: smick on August 14, 2006, 06:27:14 pm
No, but it was one of those "let's strip something down and poke fun at something's parts." which is just lazy, and thumbing back through the archives, I can see where the fellow understands humor to a degree.

I don't think he was trying hard enough.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: slink on August 14, 2006, 06:47:59 pm
I liked the many panels of expressions. Didn't work nearly as well as Achewood but it was a nice try. And Ray's sign was believable.
Apart from that though, I just think Roast Beef's speech wasn't right at all. It didn't flow the way it should, so kind of fell down.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: knightbg on August 14, 2006, 07:13:11 pm
i, for one, think it is pretty awesome. i can't wait to see the other parodies this week. also, a permalink for the achewood one:
http://www.xkcd.com/c141.html
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 14, 2006, 07:41:23 pm
This is basically fan fiction.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: V-Adore on August 14, 2006, 07:50:21 pm
The Philippe panel was gratuitous, and the Beef dialogue was a little overwrought, but I have to say I still enjoyed this, if only for the phrase "all sprung fully formed from the head of Sweet Sweetback."

If I had an animation program, I would animate all the silent panels, just to see if my mental play-by-play ("Ray opens and closes his mouth repeatedly, Beef gets progressively more embarrassed-by-proxy looking") plays out.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: CortJstr on August 15, 2006, 12:39:16 am
The name if the competition itself was pretty amusing. And on the whole xkcd is a fairly decent comic although it does have its "huh" moments.
Title: Achewood Parody on XKCD
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 28, 2006, 04:15:32 pm
XKCD (http://xkcd.com/c141.html)'s parody week has included some scathingly funny ones of Achewood, Dinosaur Comics et al. As a bonus, today's is hilarious for the geeks.
Title: Re: Achewood Parody on XKCD
Post by: Drygioni on August 28, 2006, 04:23:31 pm
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3062.0.html (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3062.0.html)

We have a thread for this a page or so back. Not meaning to be a jerk, I guess someone was going to point it out eventually.
Title: Re: Achewood Parody on XKCD
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 28, 2006, 04:26:42 pm
Hey-O! Let's trash this thread.
Title: Re: Achewood Parody on XKCD
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2006, 04:41:50 pm
Done.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: V-Adore on August 28, 2006, 09:02:43 pm
HELL OF MERGED
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 28, 2006, 09:12:05 pm
xkcd is hell of funnier than achewood
i hear 0n$tad puts hella d00d00 in the strip iz this tru
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: jough on August 29, 2006, 05:27:07 am
http://xkcd.com/c149.html

This one is fuck*ng hilarious, but only if you like operating systems made by fat people.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 29, 2006, 05:39:59 am
Jokes about sudo are funny in general, despite there being so few of them. (http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/index.php?id=P138)
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: jough on August 29, 2006, 05:51:45 am
Bobby, you're a total sudo-mite.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Drastic Action on August 29, 2006, 06:02:57 am
Su-su-suddio

Holy crap, that is amazing.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: AugustWest on August 29, 2006, 12:41:52 pm
I don't get it.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: innes on August 29, 2006, 01:04:08 pm
Funny as a Think Geek t-shirt.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: linnea on August 29, 2006, 02:24:53 pm
Funny as a Think Geek t-shirt.


A tiny can of Dr. Pepper to you, sir! You are referring, I presume, to this shirt right here: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/sysadmin/280d/

Sudo (superuser do) allows a system administrator to give certain users (or groups of users) the ability to run some (or all) commands as root.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 29, 2006, 02:48:59 pm
A tiny can of Dr. Pepper to you, sir! You are referring, I presume, to this shirt right here: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/sysadmin/280d/

Sudo (superuser do) allows a system administrator to give certain users (or groups of users) the ability to run some (or all) commands as root.

Or Phil Collins.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: MattFish on August 29, 2006, 05:00:46 pm
Just wanted to say the xkcd dude is a friend of mine from small times, grew up in my town, etc. He can naturally talk your brain into a state of being completely overwhelmed by information and also rape you at ping-pong. So what if he can't parody webcomics for shit?
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: V-Adore on August 29, 2006, 08:50:33 pm
Just wanted to say the xkcd dude is a friend of mine from small times, grew up in my town, etc. He can naturally talk your brain into a state of being completely overwhelmed by information and also rape you at ping-pong. So what if he can't parody webcomics for shit?

I dunno, I thought his parodies were funny. I think the Achewood one was a bit weaker than the strips he obviously has more affection for -- his A Softer World parody could have been an actual ASW strip and was better than some of them.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2006, 02:59:08 am
Actually, I thought his Achewood parody was pretty spot on.  It's a parody, fergodsakes.  It's not supposed to be a dang reproduction!
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Doc on August 30, 2006, 03:38:09 am
I think the Phillipe panel was spot on and the many pages of akward expressions was something I would not be suprised to see in an actual strip. The only odd thing was Beef showing stones and thats probably y' know becuase it was parody.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 30, 2006, 11:47:02 am
Actually, I thought his Achewood parody was pretty spot on.  It's a parody, fergodsakes.  It's not supposed to be a dang reproduction!

The Dinosaur Comics one was gold
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Pimp_skitters on August 31, 2006, 03:54:37 am

For some reason I absolutely love this:

http://www.xkcd.com/c135.html
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: smick on August 31, 2006, 11:37:07 pm
Upon reflection I've discovered why the parody week didn't sit with me.   It was just too dead on.   Aside from the minor art differences, the comics could be direct lifts of the actual comics parodied, which doesn't sit to me as a parody exactly, more imitation.

To that regard, they were VERY good imitations.  No fun was poked, really, just fan fiction. 
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Pimp_skitters on August 31, 2006, 11:47:26 pm
Upon reflection I've discovered why the parody week didn't sit with me.   It was just too dead on.   Aside from the minor art differences, the comics could be direct lifts of the actual comics parodied, which doesn't sit to me as a parody exactly, more imitation.

To that regard, they were VERY good imitations.  No fun was poked, really, just fan fiction. 

 I sort of had that feeling too. Also, he mainly parodied webcomics that were supposed to be funny: serious one's usually supply more material.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: linnea on January 08, 2007, 02:05:01 am
the board has an autowarning that says Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic. However, people tend to say, "Havent' we talked about this before??" So I'm just going to resurrect an old topic rather than start a new one.

My new favorite XKCD comic is the one about Jimmy Carter being terrorized by a rabbit:  http://xkcd.com/c204.html

In Carter's defense, it coulda been a nutria. (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_019.html)

Quote from:  http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_019.html
RABBIT REDUX

Dear Cecil:

I have a theory that should put to rest this President Carter/killer rabbit thing once and for all. I propose that the president's antagonist was not a rabbit but a nutria (Myocastor coypus). The world's largest rodent, the nutria is semiaquatic with webbed hind feet and is very aggressive. Native to South America and valued for its durable fur, the nutria was introduced into the southern United States in the last century and quickly became a well-established pest species. A partially submerged nutria (a lightning-fast swimmer) would look very similar to a rabbit. Its lack of long, rabbitlike ears could easily be overlooked in the fog of battle.

I hope this serves to partially rehabilitate the much-maligned 39th president. --Thomas Canaday, San Francisco, California

Cecil replies:

You think being attacked by the "world's largest rodent" is an improvement? Then again, it had to give Carter a taste of what it would be like fending off Alfonse D'Amato.

Incidentally, the nutria isn't the world's largest rodent. The honor, such as it is, goes to the capybara, 110 pounds of pure ugly. Jimmy should count his blessings.

--CECIL ADAMS
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: innes on January 08, 2007, 12:12:10 pm
The capybara, 110 pounds of pure ugly.

Gah! The capybara is the cutest of all the huge water-dwelling rodents.

Also, this is so true it hurts: http://xkcd.com/c202.html
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: Alternate on January 09, 2007, 12:35:41 am
This is my favorite one:  http://xkcd.com/c10.html (http://xkcd.com/c10.html)
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: wombat on January 09, 2007, 01:49:30 am
There is nothing ugly about capybaras. (http://www.rebsig.com/capybara/)

Edit: I like this one. (http://xkcd.com/c206.html) Why don't I read this comic?
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: jough on January 09, 2007, 04:15:59 am
My favourite was one I can't find now - about exercise and wanting to do so more once he associated it with powering-up.

That's totally what got me into fitness.  I keep thinking of my weight loss milestones as reaching "the next level" with  <300lbs. being a level boss, etc.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: linnea on January 09, 2007, 05:33:11 am
My favourite was one I can't find now - about exercise and wanting to do so more once he associated it with powering-up.

That's totally what got me into fitness.  I keep thinking of my weight loss milestones as reaching "the next level" with  <300lbs. being a level boss, etc.

Schweet! I'll have to find that comic. It's all about leveling-up! That is hella rad. That thought keeps me going on bad days.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: jough on January 09, 2007, 06:39:17 am
Here it is, titled "Exercise":

http://www.xkcd.com/c189.html
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: evan on January 09, 2007, 07:04:11 am
Has this video been posted yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUdU8Q0nAo
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 09, 2007, 08:52:48 am
Has this video been posted yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUdU8Q0nAo

Yup, though I can't find the thread off-hand.

Much was agreed to about that not being Ray's voice. At all.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: wombat on January 09, 2007, 12:50:29 pm
Oh, I love this one (http://xkcd.com/c133.html) too.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: AugustWest on January 09, 2007, 03:10:47 pm
Has this video been posted yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUdU8Q0nAo

That one led me to this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HY-wlwmhs&NR)
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2007, 01:02:54 am
Oh poop. You know what I hate?  Reading dozens of comics in an archive before noticing they have that alt-text dealie.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: linnea on January 10, 2007, 01:22:36 am
Oh poop. You know what I hate?  Reading dozens of comics in an archive before noticing they have that alt-text dealie.

I remember talking to my wombie (kellichou, not omba) about the Achewood strip. We were talking about the Halloween series wherein Philippe is kidnapped by Nice Pete. We were talking about Mr. Bear's Mini with the retrofitted switches for Laphroaig, &c. I responded with the alt-text (which I believe was "the catalytic converter warms fine brandies" or something like that). She gently and ever-so-diplomatically explained the varietal of Scotch to which Laphroaig belongs. We shared a hearty chuckle as I explained the alt-text phenomenon, and that I was not mistakenly calling Laphroaig "brandy". Since then I've never forgotten it. It's a fun Easter egg on webcomics.
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2007, 01:59:27 am
For those of you with Firefox and Greasemonkey there's a script (http://adamv.com/dev/grease/scripts/comicalt.user.js) that will add the alt-text right underneath the comic on several popular strips
Title: Re: xkcd Parody
Post by: linnea on January 10, 2007, 05:56:53 am
For those of you with Firefox and Greasemonkey there's a script (http://adamv.com/dev/grease/scripts/comicalt.user.js) that will add the alt-text right underneath the comic on several popular strips

Oooh! What an unexpected gem of code, CJ. Thank you for the link. I had no idea that such a thing existed. God Bless Programmers, each and every one!