The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: theinevitable on August 15, 2006, 05:08:50 pm
-
I myself am considering growing some "face fungus."
even though I realize that's a very "first week of college" thing to do. I leave in 7 days.
-
No. Do not grow a college mustache. That is a bad idea.
See, one needs a certain level of life experience to pull off a mustache. Even if you are an accomplished young man, you can not pull of a 'stache. (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/5457654p-4925444c.html) It takes something special, something subversive inside to pull off a 'stache. (http://www.people.carleton.edu/~holmand/mustache/images/SalvadorDali_jpg.jpg) You basically have to be able to tell the sort of tales Paul tells to earn the right, is what I am saying. I mean, no matter what, you haven't earned your stache until well after you've earned a degree.
Have you ever been at a college convocation? Have you ever noticed that every so often the dean whispers something in the ear of be person he/she is handing the diploma to? What the dean is whispering to those select few is this: "Okay Timothy - you've earned the right to facial hair now. Go forth and make us proud." And to the ladies? The dean is whispering "Alright Janet, come back to me in six months: if you're still not shaving your pits, and into the Indigo Girls and George Elliot, you're officially part of the local lesbian cadre. Otherwise, move in with that guy with the dreadlocks who ran Students Against the Treacherous Use of Fur, and don't show your face around my office anymore, okay?"
These are the secrets you learn at the end of college. Please try to act surprised.
-
no, it was going to be more of a beard thing.
my dad recently shaved off his 'stache, and I am basically distraught. I mean... he's had it since he was dating my mom. That is a long time.
-
Inev: Do not spend your life trying to make up for the mistakes of your parents. Especially if it wasn't a mistake. Did your father have just a mustache? Because no one but Paul should have a mustache without a beard anyway.
-
oh, no, the mustache looked good on him. without it his upper lip looks all...weird.
-
Please, please, if you must develop college facial hair, use it responsibly. Do not use it like the dudes at my college who would start growing mustaches in the fall in order to have a "Stache Bash" after Spring Break, at which point they would shave it off again. Remember: a mustache is forever, not just for one bad dorm party a year!
-
Besides for ancient photographs, I have never seen my father without a beard and mustache.
-
See, facial hair is fascinating, so I split the topics!
As for mustache/beard growing contests, I was at a party a couple weeks ago, held for a friend who has grown a serious "I'm getting my Master's Degree" style beard, and us girls were speaking fondly of men and their facial hair growing contests, and we all agreed that when we get old that we ladies will have a single strand facial hair growing contest - which old lady can grow the longest single strand of facial hair? We'll have to wait and see.
Also, we then moved on to the topic of old ladies with beards or mustaches, and how sad these women make me. For me, an old lady with a beard means that no one loves that old lady enough to help her out. I don't want to be so alone in the world that no one will care to point out that I have grown a beard, or help me to remove it. That is a sad state of affairs.
-
yeah. the roads are diverging:
-girl who does not like kisses from me when I am fuzzy--> far far away for like 3 months.
-my facial hair grows pretty fast
-I basically hate shaving
-I think it will look good.
so, yes.
-
Yowzah! Being compaired to Tim Allen is a perfectly good reason to grow facial hair. I mean, if that's not a reason, what is, right? However... I found this lovely, recent picture of you... er... I mean... Tim Allen (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/3290/Events/3290/TimAllen_Grani_5287092_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Allen,%20Tim%20(I))... with the exact facial hair you describe. I think he grew it to play Captain Zoom. (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0383060/Ss/0383060/02645_r1.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0383060) You'd think films like this are.. marketed at the boy. Can I call you Captain Zoom from now on Ash?
-
Yowzah! Being compaired to Tim Allen is a perfectly good reason to grow facial hair. I mean, if that's not a reason, what is, right? However... I found this lovely, recent picture of you... er... I mean... Tim Allen (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/3290/Events/3290/TimAllen_Grani_5287092_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Allen,%20Tim%20(I))... with the exact facial hair you describe. I think he grew it to play Captain Zoom. (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0383060/Ss/0383060/02645_r1.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0383060) You'd think films like this are.. marketed at the boy. Can I call you Captain Zoom from now on Ash?
I dunno, is being compared to Cactus Jack (http://slam.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingEditorial/feb29_gardner.html) really that much better?
-
The kids are into beards these days. I blame the Band of hosss.
~Paul
-
i basically hate it when something that I was planning on doing anyway ends up being hip. I want to grow a beard because I've always wanted a beard, damnit!
-
So do it anyway. Don't let the trendsters control you either way.
-
But, it's not hip... things people on message boards think are hip are the opposite of hip. Also, the friend of which I spoke of with the "Master's degree" beard is definitly not hip, and the mustache/beard competitions I've witnessed have all been the opposite of cool. But then I tend to always think facil hair is never as attractive as a clean shaven face, and that beards are the height of uncoolness because my dad always had a beard.
-
no, it is hip in "indie" circles to have a beard. I don't know why.
this was covered in "Questionable Content" not long ago.
-
yeah, I mean, I hate shaving more than I hate looking like a "hipster." so.
-
I do not think it is true that having a beard is a hipster thing. I do not have a beard because I am hip, I have a beard because I have never shaved.
-
no, it is hip in "indie" circles to have a beard. I don't know why.
this was covered in "Questionable Content" not long ago.
Nobody's opinion matters but yours. And possibly the person that you're regularly having sexual relations with.
-
see, that's why I'm set!
we aren't having "regular sexual relations" (or even "abnormal sexual relations"!), and she's going to be about 12 hours away by car!
Awesome!
-
The hipsters over here pride themselves on sporting baby-like faces.
My beard intimidates them, I can sense it. (facial hair gives you wolf-like senses)
-
no, it is hip in "indie" circles to have a beard. I don't know why.
this was covered in "Questionable Content" not long ago.
But I am in indie circles.. not indie music... indie theatre... and I'm telling you I think the indie theatre guys I know with beards are losers! Therefore you will be counter culture to my counter culture if you decide to grow a beard. Hence you will be cool. See. It all... adds up....
-
no, it is hip in "indie" circles to have a beard. I don't know why.
this was covered in "Questionable Content" not long ago.
I blame Sam Beam (http://www.subpop.com/newimages/promo_photos/403.jpg) of Iron & Wine.
Were you alluding to the Makeout Hobo (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=594)?
-
no.
it was a one where they say "huh, all the indie boys are growing beards now."
and the boy says it is because then when you shave, all the ladies want to touch your soft, non-fuzzy face.